(Close Window)
Topic: Pool Chop Cup
:cake:
I just found out my wife is getting me [b]Stephane Bourgoin's[/b] "Pool Chop Cup" for my birthday (March 1st). It was at the top of my wish list and apparently, I've been a "good boy!" :D

I've read some great reviews on it, but someone said it was [i]too elegant to perform with.[/i] :worry: This effect is perfectly in character for me, so I will definitely use it...but what does [i]too elegant[/i] mean? Are there any precautions I should take?

I'll also post a review in "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" after I've had a chance to perform with it a few times.

Joe
BerkleyJL,
I don't have this particular chop cup, but I do use a cue ball and an 8 ball for my final loads in my stage routine for cups and balls. I use smooth classical music for this routine. It does look very classy to use billiard balls in a cups and balls routine. All I would say is, develop a routine and hand it to your audience to snack on. If the reactions are kinds that you want, don't change anything. Hope that helps. Good luck. It is a beautiful looking product.
I haven't seen this prop yet. I understand that the balls provided are actually painted wooden balls. If these are done well, they will look very much like the real thing.
Next time I come to Texas I'll let you check 'em out...unless you get a set by then. I know you're quite the collector! In fact, I went to your site to see if you had them under Chop Chop Cups or Unusual Cups already.
Thanks. I just haven't had a chance to order it or the tennis ball chop cup.
Does anyone who has bought this have any comments on the quality of the props or the routine (standard? patter?)

Thanks much!

Steve H
Keep an eye out for my review. It was just ordered today so I should receive it sometime next week.
http://www.rickthibau.com/videos.php?cod_video=9
1'50" take a peek ate the chop cup, old video (from 2007)

I stood away from it as I`m mainly doing mentalism and if have to will do a 2 cups and balls routine, but last week I played a little bit with my routine then I'm back to the pool chop cup for cabaret/stage magic act.

Ups and downs
-looks good, profesionally made, these props are great to play/create/twist method ideas.
-balls might break and are replaceable (around $45 for two balls - gimmicked and regular).

I use the appearing pool cue at the end and a green mat of course adds to the nice design aspect of it.
I did actually get a set of these shortly after this thread was started. I don't really think this is a practical set. The mesh "cup" seems a bit fragile to me. It may not be, but I'd rather have something that didn't look so contrived.
I've seen those offerings.. pool, tennis.. and I agree with Bill. too fragile and too contrived for my taste.