(Close Window)
Topic: Have you ever "Just Lost It" before due to people's rudeness.
I did on Saturday Night. I'm embarrassed to say it. I've been a "Street Magician" for 8 years before and I have NEVER lost control. I mean if you remember I had a Drunk Guy Urinate on me during a routine and I didn't even lose control Last Summer. I have "Regulars/Fans" who come and watch me. I've heard it all though. I've been called all sorts of name, many of which I can't repeat here. I perform 16 hours a weekend, (from 6PM-2AM). We have a lot of bars in my town.....lol.

Saturday Night was good. I made like $110.00. I average $80.00-100.00 a night, I can make up to $200.00 + on a great weekend. It's a small tourist town. I'm not really agressive. I let people come to me as I do cards springing. I have a tip box attached to me case so I really don't pass the hat. I don't have a "routine" so to speak, because I get a lot of the same people, and I don't like repeating tricks. So I've always performed on a whim, but with most tricks I got patter. My Magic is more "Blaine Style", except I have a (Ronjo) Close-Up case with a blinking light you can LITERALLY see a mile away as a atenttion getter and a snakelight so people can see plus the light from the doorway in which I perform. I've been in the same place, same time for years now. People know it's summer when I'm "Set-Up". Saturdaynight was great. The first hour I made $20.00, I had quite a few crowds. I had people inform me on B-Day parties and take cards.

Then this girl came up and had her friends stop bye, to watch a trick. Now she has watched me for years. She's kinda snobby and was never a tipper. I still perform though, as that's just how I am. I did intercessor. I just got it July 5th, and it's still somewhat knew. I places where I have the card end up. One is tucked behind a sign, which is like 10 feet down the sidewalk. One I keep under a upside down recycle bin across the sidewalk. EVERYONE has like this. I mean even that night I had crowds applausing Big Time for that. I did it for her, and I use a Devil's Hank for the dispearance...ECT. She was like "I've seen better , but nice snakelight", she then tossed the card at me. I give it out as a souvenier. Her friends seemed impressed. She didn't even "try" to match the piece. Her friends were like she's drunk, but she WASN'T stumbling or slurring her words. She was just being Stuck-Up, and mean.

Anyway, I'm the type I take things VERY PERSONALLY. I was embarrassed and I felt disrespected. Now please don't be like "Well Ed you got to expect that", because I know. I put up with it. I STILL love performing "Street Magic". Anyway her and her friends left, I yelled across the street "And Donb't Come Back". I REFUSE to do anything for her EVER again. They went on their way. Now I have one of those two wheel carts to carry stuff in the basket. I picked it up, and whipped it across the sidewalk, and it smashed, broke a wheel. (I live in Public Housing and they have them hung up. All I did was switch mine for one of theirs....oh well). I know I'm suppose to be professional, and their's NO EXCUSE, but I'm Human. It wasn't really even about the Magic. It was a RESPECT thing. The poor people sitting on the bench almost got wiped out at my tossing cart. No one was hurt. It was like 12:30 PM. No one (Luckily) saw it really. I talked to Mom. She knows lately (because of computer problems...ECT...I've been stressed out. She said that things just came to a head. Like I said please don't think this is natural for me. This is the first time in 8 years. Yes I might get angry easily due to my sensitivity, but I tend to HOLD IT IN. I don't show it. My best friend said to remember all the people who like my Magic, remember my fans in the town, and to just let it go. He said I'm good, and all the people he knows who's watched me says the same thing. He said people can get jealous, or just mean-spirited and NOT to take it personally. Intellectually I DO KNOW that. Anyway please don't think bad of me. That's NEVER happened before. Has anyone else here lost there cool, while performing or when a mean crowd left you. I just didn't get her. EVERYONE ELSE loved that trick, I guess that's why. Anyway I'm over it. Thanks, Ed, (Eddini).
'
In your message, I see stress, lots of stress. But you have the innate gift of honesty to share it with others and acknowledge your flaws. However, when this happens again -- and it WILL happen again -- I see you...in orange prison garb. Yes, you will be incarcerated. BUT owing to your adaptability and refusal to accept failure -- you will bounce back behind bars -- inventing a genre known as "prison magic," publishing your life story, appearing on TV, and becoming a celebrity spokesperson for anti-tension medication.

Cheers, fib
Ed,

I think that you have to ask yourself what your persona is on the street, and what your stance is towards your show. The problem with magic is that while a lot of people just enjoy it, some folks can only see a guy saying, "See, I'm better than you."

Better, depending on the performer, might be more skillful, more clever, more able to find secrets to taunt people with. You have to find a way to make the show not about how you are above them. Build in a flaw. Maybe you can learn an annoying laugh, maybe you can be overly interested in money, maybe you can be a teller of outrageous lies. Anything to give people some way that they are better than you.

The middle part of my street show is Fast & Loose. I call people over to see an old street con, and I refer to myself as a street hustler. Recently, this guy and his wife watched that part, and at the first sign of a hat line at the end of the routine, he turned on his heel and walked, saying to his wife, "Let's go, he's just a con man!"

I called to his back, so the crowd could hear me, "I said that I was!" We all had a laugh.

I am not telling this story to illustrate moral superiority, I just don't have the energy for these losers anymore. The guy needed an excuse to walk without giving a tip, and he found a really lame one. I thought it was funny; so did the rest of the crowd. He probably finds a reason not to tip well at restaurants either.

The other two things that you really ought to think carefully about are working shorter hours for people who aren't drunk, and using good hat lines. The hat lines in the books and DVDs really work. I was reluctant to use them at first, but watch how the take goes up per hour when you use them.

Stay safe, stay sane, stay free. Fat hats to you!

Yours,

Paul
Ed, when something like that happens to me I use a line I stole from Gazzo. I shout out so that the offender can hear me. "You must be Canadian!!" Then in the same loud voice I say to the crowd, "Dou you know the difference between a Canadian and a canoe? Canoes tip!"

It's funny, lets them and everyone elso know that their behaviour was offensive, and gets the crowd on YOUR SIDE! Remember when the crowd likes you they pay you.

Peter
Hi Eddini,
I tend to agree with Dr Wilson said, change the hours if you can. The rubbish that sometimes goes with dealing with drunks can be horrible.

The other thing is change the performance type at that time. I have a friend who makes good money busking for drunks at taxi ranks (these are 'policed' where I am, so it's fairly controlled), but she doesn't do magic, she plays a guitar and sings. She'll make four hundred on a good morning gig.

If you can't change the clientel, maybe it's time to make the act more easily understood by the clientel.

Anyway, best of luck. If you ever need any support, PM me. I can see where you're coming from.
Lol...yea, I have lost it!....i would say things like get the **** away from me before I kill you! just kidding but I have lost it

just take a break and come back again

you know you are allowed to walk away from a show...just stop and go sit down...if you have an audience chances are they will understand you have an idiot in it...and when he leaves just start again

and don't KILL anyone
:)

kozzie
Thanks to both of you. I never try to be better than people. My persona, as best as I can describe it, is very unpredictable, zany, funny intense all into one. I have the "Michael Ammar Nice Guy" approach in general. I have the David Blaine intensity, and I have that "stare" as I've said before. For comedy, I have the Bill Malone One-Liners, when I need to be funny, (NOTE : I use those lines for mature audiences only). I can tell pretty outrageaous stories too. Go to the secret sessions forum, and read my presentation for the X-Ray Box. No, I'd say 99% of the people like me as a person, not just my Magic. My flaw that I can think of (and it really is a flaw, I do it out of nervousness, and part comedy). Is for almost every trick I pull out, I almost ALWAYS say, "Oh you'll love this one, this is one of my favorites". HaHaHa.....sometimes someone will say "Let me guess they're ALL your favorites", so that's one REAL flaw. Another thing I say after each trick (again it's habit) is "Wow I don't even know how that's done. I just do the Magic, and I'm on this side of my stand, and I can't even figure how it's done". I mean I try to be nice. I never belittle my audience, with some of the one-liners I've heard. I'm Non-Confrontational. Like I said in 8 years, I've been called every name in the book.

As far as Anti-Tension Medication, I've been on Medication (as I've said elsewhere, I got Manic-Depressive "Bipolar Disorder", with Panic Attacks. It's hereditary). So I'm on meds. This just isn't a situation with Magic. In life I take things very personally, and have always been a bit hyper-sensitive. I try not to be I am though. Also I RARELY have trouble with my anger. I tend to "Stuff It". I do talk to my Shrink about stuff though. It's ONLY in a RARE Blue Mood, I "Explode".

As far as this incidence, like I said, I think it was because I knew her, and years ago in Non-Magic settings, she was always a little Stuck-Up, and Rude to me. Also not to get personal, if a Female says something I tend to take it more personal. A guy could say the samething, and I can blow it off easier. In my past I've been hurt more by females is why I gather. Anyway I'm taking my Best Friend's / Step-Dad's advice. (I know / knew it before), and that is, to just take things with a grain of salt. He said to just focus on my fans / regulars, and the kids I make happy when I get a rude comment. He said some people are jealous, or they can be drunk, or that they like the atettion. He always tells be "to get more "Thick-skinned". As I said it's hard. I firmly believe in the "Golden Rule". I try to treat people right and that all I ask is that I get the same respect. Yes, yes I know life isn't perfect.

I took my Step-Dad's advice. I talked to him yesterday. He knew today I was going to Boston to Hank Lee's for supplies and new stuff. I just got beck. I got VERY GOOD buys. I got 2 flash pads for "In a Flash", a DF Deck, for "Anniversary Waltz" refills. The new stuff I got was Richard Osterlind's Volume One "The Act" (Which I'm about to watch". I also got "Double Barrel". I LOVE this and I haven't even performed it yet. It's VERY CLEVER. I also got "Transmental", which I like A LOT too. Anyway he said to just forget about that incident, go to Boston, buy a nice lunch, and get some New Magic, as there are plentry more weekends coming up. I have. I just wrote this, to see if anyone else here has gotten that angry and if so how they dealt with it. Like I said this ISN'T the norm. After 8 years I'm use to most of the stuff. I can 99% of the time let it go in one ear and out the other so don't worry. I just think it was the person involved, and my computer problems worrying about that. I just think it just boiled over is all. Even people that watched and stayed, after she left they were like "what a *****". They were amazed. OH YES, no one was really around when I smashed my cart, so PLEASE don't think I was like that while performing for a crowd. It was a bad thing to do, I'm not making excuses, it shouldn't have happened. Again anyone else get angry like that. Any experiences you want to share? As I said I'm over it. Today has been great. Thanks, Ed, (Eddini).
Sorry about the stupid joke about the medication. A lot of us are on meds. The show must go on, and you're a performer. Go for it.

fib
I even saw Cellini, the ultimate gentleman, lose it because of some rude people. He was performing, about 15 years ago for an awful audience that didn't know how to react to a street performer. He just stopped at the end and waved them away and said, "Get out of here!". Later he told me that this was the worst town he had ever played. He was performing at a festival and the audiences, unaccustomed to tipping street performers, assumed that he was being paid by the festival promoters.

On the other hand, he couldn't have been nicer to me and I got to chat with him several times during his stay at the "worst street town".

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
Ed -

Don't worry man, we all get frustated with audience members, but throwing stuff is obviously a pretty dangerous way to express it. If you need to 'act out' in a physical way, take a moment to pack up your gear, walk around the corner from your pitch and when you find a quiet, isolated spot beat the S#$#@T out of a garbage can or something. Losing your cool on the pitch can 'spoil' a spot for the whole night. Not only do people see you and change their opinion of you, but YOU begin to associate your pitch with inappropriate behavior and I, for one, like to keep my pitch 'clean' of bad memories.

Here are a couple of things to remember: the world is full of B(@#*CHS and D##*Ks and your magic isn't going to turn them into nice people. Sometimes the best you can do is keep your eyes open and try to guess who is going to act impolite early. I have gotten very good at looking at a crowd and picking out the person why may end up acting out. Sometimes I will even say to a crowd, "You know once in a while I look into a crowd and see someone who is just looking for a chance to act like a jerk, if this happens, I am going to stop everything and just smile. You will know that I saw it coming..."

Then if someone says something asinine I don't have to feel caught off guard, I just stop look at everyone and let a smile spread across my face. How nice!

My other advice is this: We all have to remember that magic is by nature a confrontational art. We lie to people and fool them and some people can't deal with it. They feel angry or frustrated that they are 'not getting it'. In reaction they feel the need to put us down. It's just that they feel that magic is a challenge.

But remember, on the street you are in control, so if you don't like an audience member, just stop in the middle, tell them you are going to take a break and start again with the next crowd. Don't let your audience own your show.

I think it's great that you are out there working, dude. I hope you have better nights the rest of the summer.

peter gross
http://www.funnymagic.com

PS Here's another thing to remember: Context is very important to how people judge a performance. Working on the street means people 'assume' you are NOT good, certainly not as good as someone on TV. It's stupid, but it's the way people think.

Here's something that happens all the time: I do a show here in Boston, a big show (like 200 people); people laugh, and applaud and at the end give me lots of money. Then someone who was in the crowd will come up to me after the show and say, "Hey, you were pretty good..." PRETTY GOOD! I just rocked 200 people and I'm "pretty good"? It just that people can't judge me correctly becuase I'm on the street instead of being on stage or on TV.
Thanks, I live for it. I go through Bad Winter depressions because I'm not doing what I love. I need to find a place indoors that I can work. I'd like to do table to table close-up if I can. I have fun. I have lots of people take my card. Also the night before a guy asked my perfmission to do a documentary. It will be called "Portsmouth Afterhours", and he's going to try to get it into local Film Festivals, so that will be exposure for me...ECT. I don't do Big Crowds. I've been told I use a "Trickle Method" by a seasoned Street Worker. I don't even have a pitch. I let them come to me. I don't want to come off to aggressive. OCASSIONALLY, as a crowd walks by I might say "Step Up and Watch Some Cool Magic"....or something to that effect. I'm real quite. If someone stops in front of me, I'll ask "You want to see some neat stuff"? It takes a crowd to draw a crowd. I have regulars who will help me in that capacity if they're around. Actually one girl who's really sweet, when I'm doing stuff will flag down other passers-by as I'm performing for her and her friends. They also bring me new customers. I NEVER pass a hat either. I have a container stuck to the side of my box that says "TIPS". So when they leave they know what to do. I only keep 2, 1 dollar bills folded over the edge. I PUT THEM THERE, so people "Get What To Do". As soon as people are done putting money in my box which is only like 3x3x3...ECT, I automatically pocket it.

I have my methods for making more tips. I try to use as many people as I can, and I give out souveniers such as the "Anniversary Waltz Card", the Card to Wallet....ect. You see people feel more obligated to tip if you use them. I do very Close-Up type if Magic. "In a Flash", "A.C. to Wallet", "Red Hot Mamma", "Scotch & Soda", "Cut and Restored Rope"...ECT. I do cards and mentalism the most. My average crowd size is 5-10 people. Sometimes it will be only one. Ocassionally I'll get big crowds. I just use my voice, no mic, so my Magic really is Close-Up. I have probably at all times 30 possible tricks I can do. Obviously I don't do all 30. For me I can't use a routine. Why? Because it depends on who stops and goes as I perform. Some people will have to leave, while others stay. Some have seen certain tricks before, so I always perform on the "FLY" so to speak. I take out one trick, put it away then pull out another one. People love the cards and mentalism the most I find. The only 2 tricks that go together is after my Macdonald Ace Routine, I will follow it with Dr. Daly's Last Trick. I could go on and on about all the certain tricks I do. What I'm saying though is, is that you really do got to be reasonably close to even see my Magic. I don't have "Attention Getting Stuff" as people walk by. All the Magic I do people have to do something like pick a card, or have me read their mind, or call out a date (chronologue)....ECT. I don't do D'Lites, or the Linking Rings, although D'Lites I could possibly get away with since the environment is gone. To me D'Lites are very obvious in a "Light Setting".

Someone had mentioned working shorter hours, so I don't have to deal with the drunks. The first couple of years I'd work 6PM-11PM. Now it's 6PM-2AM. I was surprised how much more money I could make. My peek hours are 8PM-11PM tips wise, and money wise. I NEED THE MONEY THOUGH....lol, that's why I work that late. It comes in droves. Working with drunks is a double edge sword. They either have loads of fun and tip in BIG denominations, OR they can be beligerant....lol. Like I said, I've "Pretty Much" learned how to deal with them, and what tricks to do. Some here have mentioned one-liners to use on drunks, or mean rude people like the Canadian joke (Which is great and might work for them people), but I never really use One-Liners, or things that might antagonize people. Why? Well I'm afraid of getting beat up. I'm proud to say except for last Summer the guy urinating on me, I've never in 8 summers had any violence come my way or vise-versa. I try to ignore (though I might be hurt and seething inside) the jerks, and let them make jerks of themselves, and people will see that. I DON'T have to draw attention to them. I actually have my AUDIENCE DEFEND ME...lol, a good part of the time. To me that's the best way to play it. Yes I might have a crowd, and maybe one or two are heckling me, and someone in the audience, who's LIKING what I do will say "Shut up, he's good", or "Go take a hike...ECT". I'd rather do it that way, so I come off as the "Good Guy". The ONLY time I speak up is if I'm doing Magic for a mixed group of kids and adults. I hear lots of four letter words NOT because I'm being heckled but because people are amazed. If kids are around, I'll "Not in front of the young one", or "I appreciate your enthusiasm, but watch the language in front of the kids please, thanks". That's my philosophy though on dealing with Hecklers in general. Thanks Again, Ed.
If she shows up again send her over to watch Sonny Holaday.
Oh man have I been there! I feel your pain!

Here is what you can do....

1) Be a professional - smile sweetly swallow it deep down inside and move on. Not very satisfying.
2) Chuck a hissy fit - probably what you did.
3) Make her look stupid. Humiliate her in front of her friends so badly that she never comes back and never tries in on with another performing. Unprofessional? Yes rude? totally! satisfying? OH YEAH!
Glasgow, man...Glasgow.Like a lot of us here, we have travelled and met all sorts through our shows, some rude, some not, and mostly hospitable and even some...generous. But Glasgow, Ive never seen so many icky icky icky people. the code of dress seems to be the white shell suit. I would gleefully slap evey one of them...but...its just anger at the way they behave. I constantly remind myself that Im not a teacher or educator but an entertainer...I have lost it with a group though, and using ALL the worst lines I could on them.Short of calling them names, but questioning their parontage...All this serves to do though is make me feel bad, and angry...I keep mostly calm now and just stare(uncomfortably though)at them until they fidget and get lost.
Hope this helps.
Failing that I hit them over the head until they fall over...
Respect
James James aka Vernon
[quote]
On 2005-07-19 13:42, Eddini_81976 wrote:
Some here have mentioned one-liners to use on drunks, or mean rude people like the Canadian joke (Which is great and might work for them people), but I never really use One-Liners, or things that might antagonize people. Why? Well I'm afraid of getting beat up.

There is an entire art to stopping "hecklers," most of it is developed by stand-up comedians who, like yourself, often have to deal with an interrupting drunk. I did street magic, but I also had the pleasure of performing in comedy clubs. When I did stand up, I found my style itself was inviting comments from the audience. After a while I began to notice that unwanted comments were coming at the same time and place in my routines and I could develop "heckler stoppers" right into the routine.

I'm not an expert on your act or style, but I do know that your actions demonstrated a loss of control. Developing powerful heckler stoppers is one way to help you always maintain a control over your crowd. You can only use a "one-liner" when you have the backing of the rest of the crowd. However these bits don't have to be viscous or attacking to work in your favor and turn the hecklers off. Rather than attack the heckler, try using my three "f" formula": Feel, Felt, Found.

I.E. "You know I used to feel the same way she did when a magician blew me away. (be absolutely overly sincere) I felt lost, confused, somewhat dizzy, disillusioned that the world would never be the same, that somehow all that I'd grown to trust and believe was real, was now lost, totally worthless. And worst of all that nobody in the world loved me, (insert small whimper) But, (insert happy face here) I found that it wasn't just me that felt this way. I was not alone. The whole crowd was in the same boat, we all were blown away, and somewhere in that moment of confusion, we all discovered the wonder of the magical possibilities of this new reality. Maybe, just maybe, recycling would work, maybe the world could be a better place, (building to a crescendo) maybe we could find world peace, maybe we could love be loved. And with that the entire crowd would begin thunderous applause. (start clapping here) As I said the entire crowd would begin thunderous applause (they start to applaud) (pause) ...
and throw money. (laugh)

Hey it's just an idea.

Ace
[quote]
On 2005-07-19 08:27, suspectacts wrote:
But remember, on the street you are in control, so if you don't like an audience member, just stop in the middle, tell them you are going to take a break and start again with the next crowd. Don't let your audience own your show.

peter gross
http://www.funnymagic.com

[/quote]

Sage advice from one of the best there is. Particularly the "Don't let your audience own your show"

This was one of the hardest things I had to learn this season. The ability to let go, and let 'em go. 10 minutes later it is a whole new show.

Trying to work a bad crowd can cause you to miss or worse poison the good crowd that will want to see you just a few minutes later. I found this out first hand quite a bit this spring.

Thanks Peter.

Best,

Dan-
Ed...remember when you were a little kid and there were those 'Puberty rites' where boys and girls would fake hit each other (just to have contact and attention)...sounded to me that since this girl has seen you many times...she was after a bit of 'special' attention from you...could be a Hepburn/Tracy type thing brewing...keep your eye peeled for 'signs' the next time. :)
Thanks you're all right. Yes Doug Trust me she got my attention as I was doing Intercessor for her...lol, Ed, (Eddini).
OMG, You'd never get this. I just saw The Wizard Of Oz, last night. It was done very well. This is just so ironic almost as if I saw a Ghost. Anyway the girl that played Dorothy, was the same girl listed above who was so rude to me. I was reading her profile, and come to find out she won a "Best Spotlight Award Nomination" for Best Actress. YES, I'M OVER IT. It's just when I saw her running up the yellow brick road, I was like OMG, that was the girl that was really rude to me and disrespected me 4 weeks ago. I had to make sure. I saw her backstage, and I was nice. I told her she did great. I just couldn't believe one performer would be that rude to another. Anyway she is off to college in the Fall to Study Musical Theater. She just brushed me off as I sais she did good. I figured it out. She's just "Stuck-Up". Anyway that's over just seeing her reminded of it....lol.

On a positive note, I knew a couple of other people in the Play, (Which was done great). The guy that played the Wizard watches me do Magic, all the time and is a great tipper. His G/F played the Wicked Witch, and their Dog played toto. Yes he was the Main Reason I went Backstage, to say hi. He was laughing "It's funny, you're a Magician, and here I am playing a Wizard"...HaHaHa. Anyway that's that. Ed, (Eddini).
[quote]
On 2005-08-08 10:37, Eddini_81976 wrote:
I saw her backstage, and I was nice. I told her she did great. [/quote]

That is how a class act does it Ed. Well done!

Best,

Dan-
Thanks, I try...lol, Ed, (Eddini).
There is a busker in the city that I live in (I'll keep it vague) who has been on the streets for a good 20+ years. He has a routine that he very rarely deviates from any more, and I suppose it's served him well over the years- he makes a living at it.

Or at least he has...

I talk to him when I see him at the magic shop every now and again, and apparently the recent economic downturn in the US has hit him rather hard- he just doesn't seem to get the tips that he used to (I doubt anyone really does,these days...) and he's been obviously ****ed-off about this for several months.

He related to me a recent story in which he kinda lost it, and used a few Gazzo style ethnic jibes in a not-so-good-natured kinda way. It netted him a jumbo-soda dumped all over him and his velvet topped colse up table and sound system.

Talk about an economic downturn...

I guess the very obvious moral of this thread is that we must learn, even under the most serious duress, to maintain a level of professionalism that most people never even have cause to think about when working on the streets, as they can be most unpredictable at times.

Kudos to those who can; good luck to those who must try a little harder!

Gaddy
Wow, I'm going through some of my older post as I like to do once a year or so. Well Last Summer was much better...lol. The SEASON is now starting. Again Thanks for the Great Advice, Ed, (Eddini).

P.S. Danny Hustle it was nice meeting you last Summer at Hank's. Too bad it was only for a couple of minutes. They Rock though. Peace....
Just remember, as bad as it might get, you're still out there performing, unlike a lot of people like... well, me!
What's stopping you?
Mental blockage... fear... lethergy... possible chronic depression...

It's a multiple choice question, pick one, or several!
I never did a huge amount of street magic, in fact my main use of it used to be solely to try out some new routines. Hecklers are everywhere, but on the street, well lets face it, a free audience is not going to be the best class audience. I've been pelted, spit on, heckled, cursed at, harrassed, had my props grabbed at, you name it. People can be first rate jerks. I never lost my cool, old saying "When you wrestle with a pig you both get dirty, only problem is the pig likes it". But I was never afraid to walk away from the crowd and just give it up for the day or find a different venue.
[quote]
On 2007-05-14 11:52, photius wrote:
I've been pelted, spit on, heckled, cursed at, harrassed, had my props grabbed at, you name it. People can be first rate jerks. [/quote]

I've had those exact same things happen to me but not performing magic.

I used to race bicycles and while I was training on the road people did those same things while I was minding my own business.

John
Y'know, when I was younger, I used to *like* people!
Wow! I saw Jeff a few times when I lived in NYC. He was never anything but a gentleman. But then, I didn't see him when he had a crappy audience member!
Last night, I was busking in Waikiki and I had gathered a small crowd. I asked one guy to pick a card, show it to everyone, and to hand it back to me so I can put it back in the deck. As I grabbed my card, he rips it and goes "Oh, sorry, but since you're a magician, you should be able to fix it right?" with laughter thinking he's being a funny man. Luckily for me, I had the audience to my side and another guy told him how f--ed up it was to ruin the trick and some other colorful things. I quieted my audience down, proceeded to a torn and restored card, and told the guy that heckling me is one thing, but damaging my props is completely different, and to get the f- out of my area in front of everyone (thank god no children were there). He then tried to explain how I did it in order to recover what little manhood he had left, and the audience kept trying to get him out of there. Then a cop came by and asked what the problem was and a gentleman from the audience pointed at the guy and said he was disturbing the peace and wanted him escorted away. The cop has seen me perform before and he knew who I was, so he took the guy away from the area and I apologized to my audience for the disruption and told them I'm going to take a smoke break. After about maybe 30 minutes and two black and milds later, I got my confidence back and started up again. That was my first time dealing with a heckler in a busking situation. I know it won't be the last and I know I have to learn how to deal with it in a more professional manner, but again...what he did was totally unacceptable.
Okay. It's not my line. It's on a T-shirt, but it is very good in this context. When you have a spectator who intentionally messes you up and exhibits bad behavior, look at them and smile. Nod your head in an understanding way and say:"I know exactly how it is. Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints."

The beauty of this line is that you are doing it about yourself as well. And they get the idea that maybe, just maybe, you might be serious.

Glenn: Was that Cellini moment near Waxahachie by any chance?
I believe the line you quoted, Bill, is from Emo Phillips.

Curt
Could be.
We all have a tendency to lose it no matter what. I believe in the 17 second rule. Wait 17 seconds before responding when you are about to lose it.

AND one of my favorite proverbs: "He who guards his lips guards his soul." -PROVERBS 13:3
I thought it would be pretty funny to do but its rude though. you will need 2 forks. Call out a nice fellow from the corwd. Saying " Here's what the fork feels about you'' Then do a nice bend for them. don't send them a wrong message like since the fork is twisted that means your twisted and sick. Hopfully they will not think of it that way. Then call the heckler over. Say I want to do another fork trick but this time it's with you. Do the fork you fork bend. Just don't hand it to her becasue she might take it and stab you or chuck it at someone. so that could be a way to express how you feel in a funny way.

Have a nice day
[quote]
On 2005-07-18 18:19, Paddy wrote:
Ed, when something like that happens to me I use a line I stole from Gazzo. I shout out so that the offender can hear me. "You must be Canadian!!" Then in the same loud voice I say to the crowd, "Dou you know the difference between a Canadian and a canoe? Canoes tip!"

It's funny, lets them and everyone elso know that their behaviour was offensive, and gets the crowd on YOUR SIDE! Remember when the crowd likes you they pay you.

Peter
[/quote]

So it is supposed to offensive to be from Canada? Well you must be from the USA, cause everyone from there is an arrogant, butt ugly imbecile....
Stalin,

First things first, not all of us are arrogant, ugly....possibly.... anyway no need to get upset about the canadian/canoe line because its dated and not funny anyway.

Everyone
The best way to deal with people who bother you is to act lik ethye don't. You let them know they've got the best of you then its over and you lose. The results of anger is always more harmful and damaging than the insult the caused it.

Anton
The fact that is isn't funny doesn't negate the fact that I find it offensive.

And the ignoring it may insinuate it's alright to say things like that.
I guess I can agree with that. I was more refering to ignoring people in person trying to goat you on. I guess to me there is a diffrence between trying to get under some one skin and being truly insulted by a remark that some one has made. I guess it would be easy for me to say hey we all make jokes like that. Maybe most of us do in one way or another, some might insult canadians, other the poor, even other based on race or sexual preference. It seems that most people have some group that they feel it is ok to insult. But to say we all do it would simply be turning a blind eye to the real issue that at the end of the day its not right. I guess maybe the best thing you can is not nessicarly ignore it but choose to come to the descion that the person who made the remark is ignorent.

I am a heavily tattooed individual and I operate in the buisness word and cannot tell you how often I feel personaly insulted by peoples remarks about the tattoos on my hands. All I can truly do in that situation is say "we all have something were into, some people love football, I love tattoos" and leave it at that. I personaly think the person passing judgement on me is somewhat foolish for making a statement like "why on earth would you ever do that to yourself"...now obviously theres a reason I would choose to tattoo my hands, its not the kind of thing most people do for the hell of it. At the end of the day though all I can do is try to be my most professional and change the persons mind about tattooed people or at least myself.

Peoples preconcived notions are a hard thing to deal with. You can almost never change them. Sadly.

Anton
[quote]
On 2007-07-09 07:24, Joey Stalin wrote:
[quote]
On 2005-07-18 18:19, Paddy wrote:

Peter
[/quote]

So it is supposed to offensive to be from Canada? Well you must be from the USA, cause everyone from there is an arrogant, butt ugly imbecile....
[/quote]

Yeah but we're cute... and we have the Bomb! Besides, the line belongs to Gazzo and he's hardly an American.
And since a lot of tourists in Gazzo's neck of the woods are Canadian, taking a shot at them hardly seems smart.

You can't knock Gazzo's results but he maybe hurting himself with that line.

Anton, I liked your post, some good food for thought.
I dunno, I'm begining to think it's like expecting Don Rickles to "mellow out." If he ever did, he'd lose his audience!