(Close Window)
Topic: Jeff Pierce's "Telepa-Three"
Jeff Pierce has a very cool new routine called "Telepa-Three." Based on a Simon Aronson Priciple, it uses an ESP deck and has three really killer climaxes. It comes with the cards and it is easy to do but a very fun and powerful routine to perform. Your audiences will believe that you actually have ESP!

As I'm sure you can tell at this point, I like this routine a lot. I highly recommend it to anyone who performs close up.

For more info, go to Jeff's website:
http://www.jeffpiercemagic.com
Scott

I've ordered one so I'll give it a review when it arrives.

Thanks
Sly
I also was used as a beta tester for this effect. It's a great idea. I really like the fact that Jeff includes everything you need to get started.
Anyway, this is one effect I've been keeping secret because I loved it the first time Jeff sent me the first draft... now the secret will be out, but it will be a great addition to anyone's mental set... especially if they like working with ESP cards.

Greg
Scott & Greg,
Thank you for the kind words. One thing I'd like to let everyone know is this is not a quick trick that concludes in 1 minute, it's a full routine with three seperate phases that can play up to 6-7 minutes depending on how you work the audience.

Sly,
I look forward to reading your review.

Jeff Pierce
Description?
[quote]
On 2005-09-22 10:53, sardini wrote:
Description?
[/quote]

A spectator shuffles a packet of ESP cards while you have your back to them and then you are able to predict various things from that now shuffled packet of cards. Each phase gets harder and more impossible looking.
Greg
Thanx.
Sounds interesting but the description seemed rather vague. The web-site description is more vague. Care to elaborate on the climaxes?

Thanks in advance.
Jim, in a nutshell here is a quick description.

Your subject shuffles and cuts a set of ESP cards. They then cut a random number of cars face up and shuffles them with the face down cards.With you across the room if you like, they cut the cards to a random face up card and concentrate. You draw a symbol on your pad, it matches.

In Phase two they seperate the face up and face down cards, since they have not seen the faces of the face down cards you have them count how many cards they are holding. You write a number on your pad, it matches.

In Phase three they spread the cards towards their face and scan them from left to right. You begin to write symbols on the pad and call them out, slowly at first but end up rapidly writing all the remaining symbols on the pad.

You tear the paper out of the pad and hand it to your subject to verify that what you have written matches the cards on the table!

Telepa-Three uses a old principle with some new ideas to create mind blowing mentalism which will leave your subject knowing that you can read their mind.

I hope this helps,

Jeff Pierce
It sounds good Jeff. And endoresments from Scott Guinn and Greg Arce don't come lightly. After the quality of your [url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=92038&forum=110]"The King Has Left The Building... With Amnesia."[/url] I would put money on it that this is a winner.
Thanks for the dsescription, Jeff. Sounds very good in the proper setting.
Your welcome Jim it does play big.

Jeff Pierce
When Jeff sent me his original draft the first thought that ran through my mind was, "D-a-m-n, I wish I thought of this." It's one of those things where you'll kick yourself for not having thought of it as the inspiration for this routine is out there and Jeff was smart enough to give it an ESP spin. It's one of those that immediately makes you think on ways to tinker with it and I already have.
For the price and what he gives you I think it's worth it. You get the ESP cards, memo pad and the easy to follow instructions... plus the cards are the type that are marked so you can use it for other routines, but in this case the marks are not used.
I hate to give this away, but I can see this playing really big on stage where you bring up a spectator and sit him opposite of you at a table then bring a screen between the two of you. Imagine writing the prediction before hand and showing them to the audience as the spectator gives out the answer. I'm sure, in the right hands, this will play really strong.

By the way, for those that get it, consider the added depth of mystery if you do it with colored ESP cards... now you would have another level of predictions using the colors.

Greg
Greg,
adding the colored esp cards is a great idea! It adds another level it. Good thinking.

Jeff Pierce
[quote]
On 2005-09-26 19:30, Jeff wrote:
Greg,
adding the colored esp cards is a great idea! It adds another level it. Good thinking.

Jeff Pierce
[/quote]

Trust me, your effect has got me thinking.

Greg
I just received Jeff Pierce's Telepa-three.

Here's what you get for your cash.

An 8 page illustrated manuscript
A deck of 25 ESP cards in a pvc card wallet
a 3" x 5" spiral bound notepad

The instructions are well written. Sit with the cards in front of you, and you wont go wrong.

The three phases (exactly as outlined by jeff in a post above)follow a logical progression. Each phase is stronger than the last with the final phase bringing the effect to a natural conclusion.

The 3 phase effect is very clean. There are no sleights and although the cards are marked (I never noticed that until a minute ago) a marked deck is not required for this routine. From a spectators point of view, everything is under their control leaving no possible way for the magi / mentalist to know or predict the outcome of each phase.

Jeff has combined simple principles to create a startling 3 phase routine. Oh, and I love the name 'Telepa-three' (LOL)

I would strongly recommend this effect, well done Jeff.
This definitely sounds interesting. I look forward to hearing more reviews and probably getting this sometime soon.

Caleb
I received Jeff Pierce's Telepa-three about 5 days so I have been busy working on this effect.

Here's what you get with it:

- A very well written illustrated manuscript
- 25 ESP cards in a plastic wallet
- A small spiral bound notepad and you'll need to provide a sharpie!

The instructions are very well written. I just read the instructions and had the cards in front of me. It worked out extremely well!

This three phase effect is so very clean and is an absolutely killer effect!

The sleights are VERY few in numbers through the whole routine!. From the spectators point of view, all choices are made by them which leaves no possible explanation on how it was accomplished.

Jeff has done a GREAT job using and combining old killer principles to create a devastating three phase routine.

I strongly recommend this effect and give it a 9 stars out of ten!

Great job Mr. Pierce and keep up the good work!
Kinesis, Thank you for the review, and more importantly coming up with the name "Telepa-Three"!

Slidini62, ththank you also for your review. Thelepa-Three is one of the strongest demonstrations of mind reading in the spectators eyes.

Jeff Pierce
Jeff,

Is there a chance this could be offered as a downloadable effect...for those of us with the correct bits and pieces needed? I get the impression that the cards themselves could be from any number of suppliers.

Sounds a great routine...I'm very intrigued.
Jeff,

Unfortunately I haven’t PayPal account and I can’t buy "Telepa-Three" directly from you. Do you plan to realize "Telepa-Three" through dealers (themagicwarehouse.com or hocus-pocus)?
Tom, The ESP cards are a standard set that just so happen to be marked.Telepa_Three will not be offered as a downloadable PDF file anytime in the future.

T.Eugene,I am currently talking with a company about distrabution so stay tuned!

Jeff Pierce
Anyone else receive this? Sounds great! Have a review?
I have to chime in here and give a little review of my own.

Jeff sent me the instructions when he was developing this and later sent me the complete kit. I really love this! It reminds me of some of the older effects that were on the market years ago where the routine was carefully thought out and built as it went along.

If you are in a setting where you have the audience paying real good attention and you want a great routine that will entertain them for 10 minutes or so and end with a great finale, this is it! If this had been around before ETMMM came out, I would have asked Jeff if I could have included it.

Finally, the routine leaves all kinds of room for you to give it your own presentation. I have done it a number of times and the final phrase feels wonderful when you are doing it. You can work so clean and get so much out of it.

Congratulations Jeff on a really superb piece of mentalism!

Richard Osterlind
[quote]
On 2005-09-19 19:01, Scott F. Guinn wrote:

Your audiences will believe that you actually have ESP!

As I'm sure you can tell at this point, I like this routine a lot. I highly recommend it to anyone who performs close up.
[/quote]

[quote]
On 2005-09-27 05:34, kinesis wrote:

I would strongly recommend this effect, well done Jeff.
[/quote]

[quote]
On 2005-09-27 12:28, Slydini62 wrote:

I strongly recommend this effect and give it a 9 stars out of ten!

[/quote]

[quote]
On 2005-09-25 05:18, Greg Arce wrote:

When Jeff sent me his original draft the first thought that ran through my mind was, "D-a-m-n, I wish I thought of this."
[/quote]

[quote]
On 2005-10-06 11:02, Richard Osterlind wrote:

If this had been around before ETMMM came out, I would have asked Jeff if I could have included it.

[/quote]

O.K., I'm sold!!
I want to thank everyone so far including Mr. Osterlind for their comments. It means so much to me that a true working professional like Me. Oterlind, Mr. Acre and Scott Guinn see the potential in "Telepa-Three".

I look forward to reading what others have to say.

Jeff Pierce
Isn't it fair to say that this is basically The Little Bunny Card Trick or Paul Green's Jeopardy or Aronson's Shufflebored or one of the other several variants? If not, why not?

Gianni
I like this but due to the nature of one of the phases I feel this is definitely more of a mentalism trick than a mental magic trick. Though it could be re-worked or adapted via the use of devices (wallets, envelopes) to be a mental magic trick. But doing so may destroy the whole essence of the routine, and heck, we magicians always have the "Tossed Out Deck" or "ID" to fall back on.
Can full routine be repeated immediately for the same spectator?
Certainly, I understand that repeating is not good thing for real magic performance, but for telepathic experiments, “Alpha projects”….. nevertheless how clean and innocent is repeating?
It wouldn't really be practical to repeat it for the same spectator. The way it is explained in the booklet will always give the same result. Plus, it has a couple of points, which I won't reveal, that wouldn't hold up to a repeat performance.

Is a great mentalism effect. As a magician, I can't see myself putting this into my act. As mine is in pristine condition I will be putting up for sale soon on the Café. PM if interested.
Hi guys.
Just recived jeffs rotine today, but, unfortunely, iam having some trouble understanding the needed setup (Is not very clear on the instructions, at lest to me isn't). Someone can PM me with help? I can prove that I own the rotine.

Thanks
Gosman, I am here so you can PM me directly and LMK what you don't understand.

Jeff Pierce
[quote]
On 2005-10-06 20:22, Gianni wrote:
Isn't it fair to say that this is basically The Little Bunny Card Trick or Paul Green's Jeopardy or Aronson's Shufflebored or one of the other several variants? If not, why not?

Gianni
[/quote]
Gianni, first let me start by asking you if you ever lived in Orlando, FL?
Second, to answer your question, Telepa-Three is based partly on Simon Aronsons "Cancellation Principle" which is used in routines you mentioned along with Aldo Colombini's "Pre-Decktability." Phase One of Telepa-Three is something completely different, but the last two phases use the same principle.

What makes all of these routines different is the presentation. All of the routines you mentioned are card tricks with great presentations, Telepa-Three is Mentalism routine not a Mental Magic or a card trick. It is constructed, even down to the patter to allow your subject to walk away feeling that they participated in a true experiment in ESP.

During my email exchanges with Simon Aronson he stated that "This was one of the best uses of this principle." and gave his permission to put it out.

I'm confident that you will agree once you try Telepa-Three on a real crowd that I make this offer to you. PM me with your email address and I will send you a pdf file of the routine. Try it out and report back here to the Café.

Obviously I can't make this offer to everyone so please don't PM me asking for a free pdf.

Thanks to all.

Jeff Pierce
Jeff:

Thank you for your note. To answer your first question, no, I never lived in Orlando, although I did spend a month there one day in the heat waiting in line at Disney World.

Moving on, I appreciate your offer for a pdf file. But I think you have answered my question.

I am a huge fan of Pre-Deck-Ability, and I perform it. It looks like you have a variation on that theme that is by all accounts very effective. But at the heart of my post is a question: If I already love and perform Pre-Deck-Ability, would your effect really be an addition to my repertoire? I think your answer is that it might be. The first phase of the routine is not part of Pre-Deck-Ability, and so your effect has that advantage. Second, your effect avoids the use of playing cards, and one may view that to be an advantage. Do I have it?

Gianni
You know the more I perform this, the more I realise how strong it is. It works great as an opener because it adds credibility to anyting you will do afterwards, but the last phase by iteslf works great as a closer.

Actually, as it is a three phase routine - it even works all by itself if you only had a limited time in the environment you were performing it.

I think Jim Tighe mentioned it was more mentalism than a mental magic trick - and I totally agree with that. I personally don't think you should be mixing this with trad. magic, keep it for a pure mentalism set, otherwise you are weakening the premise of what you are doing. I appreciate that that is just my opinion, but this effect is so much more than just a trick.

I did write my own [url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=134148&forum=15&1]review[/url] in the Penny-For-Your-Thought room. Sorry for starting a new thread - I realise I should have just added it to this one, but at the time felt it better suited in PFYT.

For those that think this is just another shuffle-bored. You are wrong. It is so much more than that. Gianni asked if you would perform this even if you had SB or pre-deck-ability, and I would say definitely. Don't get me wrong, I would still perform both SB and PDA, but all three play completely differently, and so each are suited to their own specific set of spectators. They all have their place, and if you are doing mentalism - the T3 is the one to go for.

I can't recommend it enough
I totally agree with Banannafish on this. I have put "Little Bunny's Card Trick" into my "ready kit" and taken it out again sooo much hoping I could spin a pure mentalism approach but it never felt quite right somehow. Lucky for me, Jeff did the hard graft and engaged the 'ol grey matter.

"T3" (nice) is indeed mentalism hard at work. It is a strong and layered effect. Jeff's instructions make it abundantly clear where its' roots lie. From that point on it takes its own journey through a logical and increasingly strong mentalism demonstration.

Room for your own patter and minor modifications to procedural details abound...what JOY! This elbow room doesn't, however, detract from the effect/routine Jeff has come up with.

Technical methodology? Yup...straight forward and time honoured.

Application of that methodology? "Sweet as a nut" as Brits say.

More like this one please!
Bananafish, T3! let's be careful, we don't want to get sued, LOL, but that is pretty cool!

Jeff Pierce
Telepa Three is a nice effect. I'm sure I would have had a more positive reaction if I didn't already know shuffle-bored. Having stated that, I must add that the first and third phases are strong. Plus, most laymen aren't familiar with the principle anyway.

I incorporate Lennart Green's 'Rosetta shuffle' with Telepa-Three. A deck will appear to be a complete mess after the Rosetta shuffle. If you were to mess the deck up any more than this, you would probably be doing 52 card pickup. (25 card pickup in this case) It is hard to believe any effect could possibly work after the Rosetta shuffle.

As stated before, the cards that come with Telepa-Three are marked. (They are the same cards that come with 'Entertaining ESP by Patrick Page and Ken DeCourcy') A notepad and plastic card case are also provided.
Kevvy,
Good idea with the Rosetta Shuffle. Makes it even more imposible.

I tried for months to get the original OOP ESP set printed by Haines but they never got around to printing up more sets.

Jeff Pierce
Jeff,

Can this effect be performed with an EL-DUCO ESP deck?

Walter
Can you purchase this effect other places than on Jeffs homepage? I don't have a paypal account, so would like to have the option of paying with a credit card...
[quote]
On 2005-11-15 22:47, Natural Mystic wrote:
Jeff,

Can this effect be performed with an EL-DUCO ESP deck?

Walter

[/quote]
Walter,
It can be preformed with any set of 25 ESP cards.

Jeff
[quote]
On 2005-11-15 23:37, neonsolen wrote:
Can you purchase this effect other places than on Jeffs homepage? I don't have a paypal account, so would like to have the option of paying with a credit card...
[/quote]

Neonsolen,
I'm sorry but my website is the only place to buy "Telepa-Three" at this moment. You can pay the old fashioned way, with a U.S. Money order. PM me for details.

Jeff Pierce
[quote]
On 2005-11-15 23:37, neonsolen wrote:
[/quote]
neonsolen,
My new effect "Telepa-Three" is now available thru Murphy's Magic Supplies so ask at your local magic shop and they can order it for you.

Thanks,

Jeff Pierce Magic
I just purchased this from Jheff from his site, jheff.com/jmom.html and look forward in receivng it. It seems like an excellent 3 phase ESP routine.

Best regards,

Michael
You'll enjoy it.
I'd recommend doing the "COLOR IDEA" mentioned previously in this thread to take it even to a higher level!!!
PS-I do think phase 1 can be improved.
Once you get it, you'll see what I mean.
[quote]
On 2005-12-07 10:00, JSBLOOM wrote:
You'll enjoy it.
I'd recommend doing the "COLOR IDEA" mentioned previously in this thread to take it even to a higher level!!!
PS-I do think phase 1 can be improved.
Once you get it, you'll see what I mean.

[/quote]

I'm working on that first phase... think short cards and extra symbols and you'll know in the direction I'm going.

Greg
I'm resurrecting this old post for a great routine. I don't own it yet but everyone here thinks it's great.

My question is is it fool proof. I mean I know if I'm a fool I could effectively mess it up but if everything is processed correctly is this 100%

Thanks
Scott, thanks for introducing me to Jeff's work. I was not familiar with it prior to this thread. This is one of the things that I love about The Magic Café!