(Close Window)
Topic: Slim Price RIP
I'm sorry to inform people like this, but Slim Died this afternoon. I've no info yet, but as soon as I hear anything, I'll post here.

Krista
We will not see his like again - Slim was a true American original.
I didn't know him personally, but I always read his posts with great interest. He had knowledge and wisdom about this art, that only very few have. This forum lost something priceless.

-Jari-
Slim was not only my husband, but my best friend. He wasn't just a sideshow performer, but magician also. Slim knew so much about many things, and shared what he knew with many. Maybe he was generous to a fault, but that's who he was. Giving so much, and expecting nothing in return except a thank you. He'll be surely missed.

Krista
Best to you Krista...hang in there till he gets where he's goin'...and Slim, I'll see ya down the road and just around the corner. Funny thing pardner...you had called me a couple of times in the middle of the night and woke me up...well it's 2 am...I got your call.
Slim loved life, his heart was in his love for each of us. His passion was in the way he lived his life. Slim contributed much, he was a many faceted person, a poet, an author, a carny, a friend, and much more. He gave from his head and his heart. His wisdom is a light for all of us in these times when life seems bigger than our strength. Slim was and is an example to all of us, about the things that really matter, risk, love and the fullness of life.

As Slim would always say, "KEEP THE CANDLE BURNING"

He will be missed,

Krista you are in my prays.

John
This is a big shock!!!

Slim was a giant of the Café, I will miss him...I'm glad I wrote to thank him for the howiediddits....Don't know what else to say, I am sure this thread will run into pages and pages....

Stay strong Krista,

my sincere condolences,

Corona
Another giant gone! Slim was a giving man! He freely gave of himself and his knowledge. I am saddened to hear of his passing. Krista if you need anything…
Thoughts and prayers are with you Krista..

With sympathy,
John
Krista,

My thoughts are with you. Slim was very generous with all of us, and wanted more than anything to pass on the flame, which he did, every day. We will all miss him.

Yours,

Paul
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Jun 14, 2006 08:33AM)
I am deeply saddened by this news. Slim Price was a dear friend to me, and to anyone who wanted to learn about this trade. He has given me gifts of knowledge and of his heart. He will truly be missed and remembered. I wish the best for you Krista during this time. I don't know what else to say.

Very truly yours,
The Great Nippulini
Sad news indeed. RIP Slim.
Krista,

Thank you for taking the time to pass the news on to us. My condolences to you and all of Slim's family, both traditional and show. I've enjoyed everything that Slim shared with us.

Chris Handa
http://www.spookymagic.com
I'm deeply saddened by this news. The few times that I've emailed Slim for advice he was always quick with a detailed response. I'm glad that I printed those emails. They will be cherished.
Krista, my thoughts and prayers are with you at this time. May you know only happiness.
Adam Rinn
His generosity with his experience should be remembered for a long time. It certainly was "howiediddit".

Thoughts and prayers with you, Krista.

~michael
Sad news indeed.Slim and I talked about meeting up some day and jackpoting,who knows we still might get to do just that.
Good bye my friend.
Don
I have talked with Slim many times over the computer and for the first time on the phone about 3 or 4 days ago, we spoke for about 2 hours and I had one of the most fullfilling chats of my life.

Krista, I'm so sorry for your loss, you had such a treasure of a guy, and the advice that he has given will never be forgotten.

goodbye Slim

Brett Loudermilk.
Allthough Slim and I never met, he had been a Large supporter of our show
and corresponded with me whenever he could. I feel a terrible sense of loss
that I will never get to meet him now. Slim was such a proud keeper of the
flame and will allways be remembered as a Showman with High Intergrity and
a strong love for the brotherhood and sisterhood of our Sideshow World.

Krista my thoughts are with you.

Lets keep that candle burning.

Scott McClelland
Carnival Diablo
This is very, very sad news.

I want to say something profound and meaningful, but I'm just stunned.

Slim’s wit and generosity will be so missed.

Krista, thank you for letting us know. Take care of yourself. Our thoughts are with you.

With sincerest sympathies,
~Stephon
RIP Slim.

Thanks for being a friend.

See you down the road.
I waited for ages to post in this thread, because I wanted to have something special to say. I can't think of it, words are never enough when someone so important passes.

Rest In Peace Slim, you did more than enough for the business I know you loved. You helped it to stay alive, and never wanted more than a thank you when you freely gave all the knowledge you had to people you had never even met. I wish I had been able to give you even a fraction of what you gave me.

You will be greatly missed. By Krista more than anyone I am sure. Thanks for taking the time to let us know Krista.
I had the honor of staying with Slim and Krista a couple of years ago. They were generous; sharing their home, sharing their knowledge.
He will be missed. There are few like him left.
Krista, let us know if we can do anything.
I'm stunned right now........ Slim was always willing to share his knowlege and notes with all of us.......he made me feel like he was a Sideshow Grandfather (and he was!). This should be Slim's lesson to us all.... time is short on this planet and it's up to us to KEEP IT ALIVE and enjoy Life..... Slim really did that everyday here on the Café' and everywhere he went. Now, we have a Sideshow Angel to make sure we all keep it rolling. My hat goes off to you Slim.......may you rest in Peace and watch over us Forever. Krista, I hope you are doing OK and know how many people loved Slim and love you. Please continue to post any stories from your Life together.....it means a lot to those of us here on this site.
Slims notes are as always free for the asking to everyone. As for my stories of our life together, I'm not the writer that Slim was, nor am I the showman (girl, person whatever.)Never will be, I'm just a mark and fan who loves the sideshow.
Here's how we met. Back in 1998, being the student I was, I got interested in 'freaks' then later the sideshow and how they were run. I came across Joe Bates' DG, and started posting there. Slim and myself began emailing each other, and in 1999, I came to visit him to learn fire eating. We had taken a liking to each other during the preceding year, and after the meeting, he asked me to marry him, and I said yes. I went back to England to get some money together, and came back in September 2000, we were married in October of that year, and happily.
It wasn't always easy, he'd had health issues before and since the marriage, a phycho ex-wife, and the reuniting with his daughter, meeting his gand kids and great grand kids.Arguements, falling outs, sometimes just to make up again ;)
The usual marrial bliss.But underneath it all, we loved each other. A very may-december relationship. When we married, I was 27, he 65. Slim was a gentleman and gentle man no matter what. He loved, loved life and wsa in a way a child and saw the world through those eyes, which is a great thing these days.
Yes, I did hear the stories time and again, even said "oh, not THAT one again" but still loved hearing them. The people he talked about, especially the oned he worked with in the sideshow and magic areas, he talked about with love. Slim rarely had a bad word to say about anyone, even the people he didn't like.
Yesterday, I lost a husband, friend, companion, and yes I'll say lover. As a hubby, I got lucky to have found him. Even though I thought otherwise, he told me every day I was the most beautiful, no other woman would do. Ok, so I've got off on a tangent here, but I believe that this shows what a grat guy Slim was, and for me at least, the lights of the sideshow midway got dimmer.

Krista
Oh gosh...yet another tragedy amongst the world of performers. I am dismayed to a great extent by the aforementioned news. Even though I know half as much about him as most others here, one thing I am sure we will all remember was his greatness; his greatness not only as a performer but as a mentor and, more importantly, as a person. Mr. Price wrote the “Beginning Sideshow Notes” due to a personal request from myself, so essentially I owe my introduction to the Sideshow world in general to him. Just as Sir William McComb will go down in magic as a legend, Mr. Price will be remembered in the Sideshow arts the same way.

“Integer vitae scelerisque purus.” Requiescat In Pace.

Dan
We never met, but we'd e-met a couple of times. He was generous in giving advice and help freely, I always thought that I'd like to meet him.

I always thought that he was "one of the good guys of this world".

Dave
Krista:

I am deeply saddened by your loss. As you may (or may not know), I am quite new to the art of sideshow. Slim showed me a lot of support and kindness even though I didn't have much to offer him. I really appreciated his correspondence and advice. In fact, I had hoped to come for a visit in September. I am going to miss him and the community has suffered a huge loss.

Jeremy
I can add nothing to the above sentiments, they say it all.
Once again another of our own dying breed has left us for the Sideshow in the Sky,,catch up with you later Slim.

Ken
Slim will be cremated on friday. For now, there'll not be a service, but hopefully in the future when family and friends can get together, I'd like to celebrate his life. Slim will stay with me til I can get out to New York and take him to his daughter Joyce.
He has his hat, and favourite shirt. Makes me feel better to know he has that *** hat anyway.
I'll miss you darlin. I love you, see you down the road, and save some stories for me.

your jennie.
I hesitate to even post here. I hate to even ask, and yes I work, but right now, I need help in paying for the cremation expenses. the cheapest cremation I could get is $1425. Please, if you can send a couple of dollers to Slims paypal at sanscan@yahoo.com.

Yes I'm ashamed in asking, especially after the help we've been given in the past, but the costs are beyond me at this time.

Krista
I'm sure everybody who is 'with it' will kick in. Let's hope it covers.
I sent the total amount of my first hat
using Slim's notes

$170.00.

And I am being cheap here.

I will make thousands of dollars and my assistants will make thousands

ten thousand people will be amazed, amused and confused by me alone, thanks to this man.

If people do not step up and pay tribute to a generous man,
that will be a sorry reflection on the people he helped.
Message: Posted by: Nicholas J. Johnson (Jun 14, 2006 11:36PM)
I'd like to send some money. Slim was a great guy and taught me a lot.

Unfortunately, Pay pal won't let me send for some reason. Are there any other options?

Perhaps someone with credit card facilities might like to pass the money on for me. I'll cover the costs.
While not really a showman like you fellows myself, I’ve always enjoyed talking the sideshow business, and Slim could certainly talk the business. He was always more than willing to answer any questions I had. Thanks Slim.

My condolences to all his family and friends.

Tom
Krista:

Wasn't Slim's e-mail address:

sanscan@tds.net

rather than

sanscan@yahoo.com
???

Is this where you want donations?
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Jun 15, 2006 07:23AM)
I don't want to come off sounding morbid, but exactly what happened to Slim? I would like to contribute to the cause.
Krista,

You have my thoughts with you.

We never met face-to-face, but I know he was a great man. Amongst the many things I leant from Slim the one that stands out is this. The key to it all (aside from making some cash) is entertaining, you can do whatever you like but if it's not entertaining don't bother.

His living, breathing epitaph are the crowds of people he's entertained over the years.

Kevin.
I came home from work and found Slim laying on his side. Looked as though he was working on the computer at the time. The ambulence was called, and the EMT said he'd been dead for about 4 hours. I like to think he went quickly.

Krista
I'd like to thank everyone for help with the cremation costs and the support. The cremation is now paid for thanks to the many wonderful people here and elsewhere. I don't have the words to express how gratefull I am to everyone, and I hope that one day I can repay the kindness in some way.

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

Krista
The MagicCafe (and it's denizens) is the top of the food chain when it comes to good folks. Krista, I'm so glad to hear you got the costs covered so quickly...now we can all relax a bit and give the old boy the proper thoughts.

Our 'kindness' is payback for Slim's contributions over the years...you are paid in full amongst your Café friends.
Hi Krista

I just saw the updates to this thread, too late to help with your immediate needs. However I am sure that, when you feel it is time for a proper memorial, there will need to be flowers, donations to a charity, or whatever else you think Slim would have wanted. I am sure people will want to help out again then. I know I will. Please let us know.
Message: Posted by: FacadeTheStiltBoy (Jun 15, 2006 11:25PM)
Meeting him for the first time at the sideshow gathering finally is one of those memories that I think about. He helped me out and got me to think a lot more about the things that I was doing, and had tons of great stories.

I'm really going to miss him :(
My sincerest condolences.
I'm bummed that my first ever interaction with Slim here on the Café was a disagreement, as was my last, strangely, yet, everything in-between was very amicable.
He'll be missed.
My guess is Krista has more financial needs other than the immediate ones. This kind of thing often turns into many unexpected expenses.

If you were thinking you owed Slim one it isn't too late to say thank you in a way that he would have liked. Krista could probably still use the money but most likely won't ask.

Just say thank you in a way that matters.
Slim and I corresponded several times and I was always asking him for advice. He did, as many here have stated, offer all he could and then some. I could always count on Slim to fix any performance obstacles or drop just the right solution in place. Our correspondence often got way off topic but we liked it that way.

You know you've had a "goodbye" wedged between you when you say "Wait! I wasn't done talking to him!". Then again, I don't think I'd ever be. That's what dealing with Slim was like. However, he does remain about in spirit - as great a communicator and giving spirit now as he was then.

See ya on the other side Slim. No sweat.

Krista, thank you for stopping in and visiting with us. You have what it takes. You did put up with him didn't ya? :)

A quick reminder to all of us is part of Bill Palmer's topic "Friends":

Bill Palmer Posted: May 11, 2006 11:38pm

"Do yourself a favor. Write a letter or a note or even an e-mail to an old friend. Give him or her a phone call.
Let them know you care.
You will be glad you did.
And you will be very disappointed in yourself if you don't."
Am I correct in saying that there will be a memorial service at the SSG??

Brett.
Seems to me the older I get the fewer real 'characters' there are left in the world, and the dimmer the world seems because of it. With the loss of Slim, we've lost one of the most colorful (and generous) characters we had. He'll be missed.

My prayers are with you and his daughter, Krista. God bless you.
[quote]
On 2006-06-16 16:07, Freak Prodigy wrote:

Brett.
[/quote]
On 2006-06-16 16:07, Freak Prodigy wrote:

Brett.

I hope so...
Just a thought. I think there should be a pinned thread for remembrances here.
I second that.

Brett.
[quote]
On 2006-06-17 13:20, David Straitjacket wrote:
Just a thought. I think there should be a pinned thread for remembrances here.
[/quote]

David,

Why don't you post this message in the 'I want to see the manager' section to insure Steve Brooks and Staff can see it.
I never met Slim and only chatted briefly with him at the Café. But regardless, I saw how much he contributed and how much he was respected by everyone here. He will be missed dearly!

-Eric D.
I've been on the road for the past couple of weeks and have only just got on to the computer.

I couldn't believe it when I first read this thread.

Although I didn't ever meet Slim, it was through his notes that I was able to learn much about the sideshow arts.

I only wish I could've thanked him face-to-face.

Stay strong,

Ros

If we can still help in any way at all don't be ashamed to ask. I'm sure others will agree that there is absolutly no shame in asking for help and that it would be an honour to do so.
I haven't spoken to Krista but it is a safe bet she could use the help. She asked once for help with the cremation but I doubt would feel good about asking for any more help.

This kind of thing leaves one with many unexpected expenses. If you want to do more than type an internet thank-you see her post in this thread where she gives the paypal address for contributions.

Thank Slim in a way he would have wanted.
I just got a smile on my face when I saw this thread nested between 'Nail in the Nose' and 'Topsy the Electrocuted Elephant'. Slim would be so proud. :)
Goodbye Slim. You will be missed but not forgotten.
Slim was a true original, and I appreciated all ofhis posts here at the Café. I am sad to see him gone.
[quote]
On 2006-06-14 21:30, jennieprice wrote:
I hesitate to even post here. I hate to even ask, and yes I work, but right now, I need help in paying for the cremation expenses. the cheapest cremation I could get is $1425. Please, if you can send a couple of dollers to Slims paypal at sanscan@yahoo.com.

Yes I'm ashamed in asking, especially after the help we've been given in the past, but the costs are beyond me at this time.

Krista
[/quote]

Please don't feel ashamed about asking friends for help.

May GOD comfort you through this difficult time!

Your friend in Christ,
Christopher
I posted the pinning request in the 'I want to see the manager' section, and this thread has now been pinned.

If you have any thoughts, stories or remeberences about Slim please leave them here for all to see.
I posted the pinning request in the 'I want to see the manager' section, and this thread has now been pinned.

If you have any thoughts, stories or remembrances about Slim please leave them here for all to see.
I just got back into town and find out that one of the "Legends" has passed. Its always a sad day when a master leaves his students. I never met Slim, nor had the chance to engage his vast knowledge of the "craft". May Slim Price live on in the hands and routines of the performers he helped inspire.

abigkahuna
My deepest sympathies to the family of legendary Slim Price.

I didn't have the pleasure of meeting him in person, but I did get his input a few times in my short time here on the Café...Invaluable advice, always disguised as a simple suggestion...

That, in and of itself, was the nature of his genius...

Gentle Mentorship.

May he rest in peace and, knowing the SideShow guy that he was, he is now, as we grieve, tempting the Angels to shell out the extra 10cents to get into the 'Big Tent'...

May his legacy continue and may his experience touch and improve generations to come.

God Bless you Slim...

You were one of the "Greats".

Sincerely,

Prof. Piper
Just a note to say that Slims notes are still available to anyone for the asking. They're too good to waste. I'm asking the same as Slim in that you send me an email jennieprice123@yahoo.com, or pm with a bio before I send anything.

Krista
My hat is off, my head is bowed...

My you live long in our hearts my cowboy brother...

Krista or Jennie, if I may be of service let me know...

Happy Trails Slim!
Gosh,

I offer my sincere condolences to you Krista, and your family. Slim is missed greatly.

When I started posting here on the Café I couldn't wait to get into the secret sessions. I didn't know what I would find in there, but if you needed 50 posts it had to be good. That magical day when I mad it I opened the first thread and was enthralled for several hours. Just that one thread.

Slim's legacy on the forum is so much more than the Howie Diddits, but what a monument that is. Through his sound advice and levelheadedness I started to make my own folding coin. Others had said 'why bother it's easier to buy one' but Slim kept offering his gentle, sensible advice and in no time I had my coin. It wasn't perfect, but it was the best I'd ever seen. For me it was an item to be cherished as it was crafted by me and so very special. I couldn't have achieved this with out his help. I posted it to him, with a thank you letter. I received a reply PM Slim was so very grateful for the coin, as wonky and rough cut as it was. I knew it had a good home.

I can't say how much Slim means to me, I just don't have the words. Odd in a world like this that 1 man so many miles away, across several time zones, who I've never spoken to, or seen, can have such a positive effect. It it a testament to the size of his heart and his greatness as a man that he as affected so many people and is so fondly remembered. It would be an honour to follow in his footsteps.

We should all strive to be as great.

:cry:
Our condolences to his family and friends.

Slim was a TRUE Gentleman. The Café (Forum) lost something priceless.

Rest In Peace Slim.

With sympathy,

Col Narendra Singh & family.
(INDIA)
I haven't participated in forums for a couple of years. I found this thread because I needed help with something. So I did what I usually do, look for Slim. He always knows how to do it and is ready to help. We will all miss that. I had to join here today so I could post and say :

Thank you Slim! I will do my best to preserve the techniques and historical facts you have shared with me.

Krista, you have my deepest sympathy.

I think I'll go pound a screwdriver in my nose. That was one of the first things he taught me.

-Ed
I AM SHOCKED and saddened. My deepest condolences.

May I as well as my colleagues make him proud with every effect we perform!
I couldn't help but post here after seeing the "Walking on Glass Barefoot for Dummies" thread. This upsets me a great deal, especially seeing as the last notes Slim sent me were on glass walking...and that wasn't long before he passed. I said I would keep him posted on my progress, but then I logged on to the Café to find that he left us. The people at lifeevents.org should be ashamed of themselves.

I was snooping around a bit and found this, "Here's one you can laugh at, but still should take seriously. For eye ailments, use drops of pee-pee from a new born (not more than 3 months), breast fed baby in your eye. Great for cataracts." How serious should they be taken...hmmmm.......
Dear Krista

My condolences go out to you over recent events. I've lurked the fourms here for quite some time and never posted until now. I had been waiting till I had free time to ask slim for his notes and then read what had happened and was not about to ask you after his passing because I thought it would be very rude. I was reading further and I noticed you were offering the notes. I got the notes from you almost the same day I emailed you. So generous in recent light and thinking of others, thank you so much for sharing his knowledge and wisdom.
NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! :bawl:
Someone might have mentioned this, but from time to time an older thread is brought to the top. A thread where Slim has posted. Now I don't pay much attention to when the thread was started, but when I see Slim's picture and his message, at first I'm a bit startled, then saddened, and once I read the message (even though I might have read it already) I remember what a treasure Slim was. I can't say I'm happy, but there's a feeling, well, a feeling that he's looking down and smiling. And that idea adds a soothing feeling to the whole equasion. I enjoy stumbling upon these threads just to read what Slim had to say.
He is the gentleman who knows everything.....he advice me a lot of things....
Wow. I know that this is late in coming, but I have been absent from the Café for several months and am just now reading the news. Slim and I corresponded several times, and while I didn't know him well, his generosity with his time and ideas will be sorely missed. My condolences to Krista as well as the magic and sideshow communities.

Dave
Don't feel bad Dave, I just found out too. I was in the Howiedidits thread and noticed Slim's avatar. I couldn't believe it. I did a search to find out if it was true. Delayed shock is a good term for what I am feeling right now.

R.I.P. Slim.

Regan
I'm gutted, first time back to the Café in quite a while, he will be very sadly missed, my sincere condolences Krista
Message: Posted by: The Village Idiots (Nov 16, 2006 02:23PM)
I just returned to learn this as well. My condolences.

I first met Slim through his sideshow discussion group. Gosh, it must have been 8-9 years ago.
I had just gotten my first computer and had AOL a.s.a.p. I somehow, in the dawn of the internet,
stumbled across his group. I have no idea how. The *** pages took forever to pull up but I would
wait, excitedly. I had to wait. I had to read what Slim was teaching next. We e-mailed back in
forth because I, like many of you, e-mailed him first with a "Can you tell me..." request. He always
made me feel like I was normal for wanting to hammer nails into my head.

Once the Café came along he hung out here so I hung out here. I still have his old website in my
bookmark bar. His discussion group didn't die it was just transplanted. I have always looked at
this forum as his. And it still is to me. Thanks to Krista, Steve and everyone else.
Krista, my sincere condolances. Hang in there.

See you in that great midway in the sky till then we'll keep the candle burning.
I know this is late in physical time, but it can never be too late for the people who knew the person in question. And regrettably this time, a lot of people knew that person.

Slim was the person who taught me a lot about building my fire stick, and I still use his methods today. He was the one that got me started in the human blockhead and a few other things. He was a brilliant man and I will miss his knowledgeable posts.

I have been away for 2 or 3 years in Spain living and doing some performing, hence the delay in finding out this saddened news. I couldn't believe it when I looked at his avatar.

Keep good Krista.

Daz x x
I'm so very sorry. I'm new to the forum but enjoyed reading all his post. you and your family are in my prayers.