(Close Window)
Topic: Shufton Harris X ray
Does anybody know? What is the effect? I click on the banner, but it doesn't take me anywhere. Even a Google search turns up nothing. Shufton's site and Paul Harris's site both turn up no clues.

This must be BRAND spanking new.
Could it be Ben Harris?
It will be for sue, Ben Harris and Steve Shufton.

But what are they xray'ing?

JH
I .. Am...EXCITED
Can't wait to see what they have in store for us now!
Sorry! Somehow when I saw "Harris" I just thought of Paul. My apologies to Ben!

Yup! My curiosity is DEFINITELY up!
Message: Posted by: Bernardo Rodriguez (Aug 6, 2010 08:18PM)
Hmm I don't know... Xray vision can easily be abused in the wrong hands hmmm =]

Bernardo Rodriguez
Hope we can't "see thru" the workings.. :) ...
Groan!
I'm radiating with excitement for this.
Double groan!

Posted: Aug 8, 2010 8:10pm
The link still doesn't work. I think this has been set up to get our curiosity burning.
And you saw right through it....
Message: Posted by: Bernardo Rodriguez (Aug 9, 2010 12:49AM)
[quote]
On 2010-08-08 23:18, Cyberqat wrote:
And you saw right through it....
[/quote]

Hahaha I rhink that may be the secret to xray! We got it!

Bernardo Rodriguez
Ben just sent me an email...he said that it's a close up version of one of the feature pieces from his pro stage show, HELLucinations. His good friend, Steve Shufton, and Ben have been working on this version since 2008, and it's done! Both of them are just double checking the credits, dotting the i's and crossing the t's. He indicated for us to watch for full information at the end of the month. He also said that Richard Bush has written the foreword!

This is all I know.

I think this will be great!

Regards,
Mike
At last some light!
Yes, Richard Busch of "Peek Performances" fame.

Benny
Message: Posted by: Bernardo Rodriguez (Aug 9, 2010 09:05PM)
Hmm sounds interesting...

Bernardo Rodriguez
Is it Hype... Or IS it a routine... Hmmm....
Things that make ya go "hmmm..."

Benny
"I can see you..."
I am Very confused.... what on earth is going on?! Is this fiction, hype or real?

A very confused and excited,

Kyle
[quote]
On 2010-08-09 23:40, Ben Harris wrote:
Things that make ya go "hmmm..."

Benny
"I can see you..."
[/quote]

How come the link is up, but it doesn't work?
Where's the link???

RNK
At the top of this page, there is a banner add. Click on that, and you will go nowhere.
Seems perfectly clear!
Hey! You're the guy! Yeehaw!!! You showed up! Won't you please tell us what's going on? The glasses! You and Bennie! please tell us about the glasses!
I've noticed that the glasses have created quite a spectacle!
Groan!
I love the glasses. With the collective genius of Shufton and Harris, I have a feeling this is going to rock our world.

Regards,
Mike
This is a Little Man Production!
They have a new banner, but it STILL goes nowhere.
Doug,

The "powers at hand" reek havoc amok the digital domain. We are battling like demons to wrestle this from the hands of the "special powers unit" (SPU). Declassification is in process. Your bounty of crypton is safe.

Benny
Huh???
[quote]
On 2010-08-12 04:47, Ben Harris wrote:
Doug,

The "powers at hand" reek havoc amok the digital domain. We are battling like demons to wrestle this from the hands of the "special powers unit" (SPU). Declassification is in process. Your bounty of crypton is safe.

Benny
[/quote]
FINALLY...some clarification.

peace, charlie
But I'm still confused!
On ben's blog it's an x-ray deck that he's been working on since 08 with Steve
What's an x-ray deck?
[quote]
On 2010-08-12 13:35, daffydoug wrote:
What's an x-ray deck?
[/quote]
Dunno, but I hope Wilhelm Rontgen gets a mention in the credits.
LOL!! I doubt it will be that technologically advanced!
Message: Posted by: Bernardo Rodriguez (Aug 12, 2010 05:58PM)
Wow the blog definatly caught my eye... Sounds great as usual Ben!

Bernardo Rodriguez
"...Not only did I immediately absorb every last detail and nuance employed in the development of the XRAY routine, I was blown away by the number of well known and respected names I encountered that had a collaborative role in its construction.

"...XRAY is an extremely powerful and entertaining effect. Watching Steve Shufton and Ben Harris concoct a recipe for a satisfying and delicious mental effect is as sweet as the frosting on my cake.

"...Do I like it? You bet I do. Highly recommended...."

-- Larry Becker

http://www.wowbound.com/xray001.html
I am interested Ben.
Out 11th September...so why start this discussion now when there are no details being released by the creators - only riddles?!

Sounds like another attempt at viral marketing to hype a product and boost pre-sale revenue me thinks...I fell for this last time...never again.
I'll probably be one that falls, then.
The 2nd clue will appear on page 20 of this thread.. :) ...
I released an effect once where someone could freely choose a card while you were out of the room and place it in their pocket sight unseen. No one new what the card was. You came back into the room donned your XRay specs and looked into their pocket. You revealed the card with 100% accuracy.

Audiences loved it! I did too but the gimmicks were a pain in the butt to make. So I eventually dropped it.

Wonder if this routine will be similar? Hopefully they came up with a better method than I did.
[quote]
On 2010-08-13 06:54, joseph wrote:
The 2nd clue will appear on page 20 of this thread.. :) ...
[/quote]
I have a creeping feeling you are right.

Posted: Aug 13, 2010 9:44am
OK. The link is now live. And as we may have guessed it's a tease. Coming Sep 10.
The XRAY DECK

Steve Shufton & Ben Harris

"A wonderfully clear cut plot. This is very powerful and appears
utterly impossible." -- Marc Paul

When I was young, my uncle Peter fooled me badly with a simple X-Ray Vision stunt. It played serious havoc with my developing mind. Pete had been using his X-Ray Vision to “see through” the table top in order to identify how many fingers I was holding aloft. He hit it time and time again. I was later crushed, when dad explained that he’d simply been coding the information, to my uncle, via surreptitious foot tapping. In due course it was I who was performing the demonstration, and I’ve been fascinated with the X-Ray Vision plot ever since. My one man show, HELLucinations, is my core act— the one I fall back upon for all of my highly paid professional work. Purporting to replicate the demonstrations of the legendary Dr. Elmer William Bishop, the show commences with some direct and perplexing “card reading” and then quickly moves through a series of unbelievable-looking demonstrations of supposed X-Ray Vision. These, among other demonstrations, include “seeing through” a heavy iron box to reveal which card a spectator has reversed in the deck, AND IT’S EXACT POSITION in said deck. It is a demonstration repeated over and over, the conditions becoming more stringent every time. The show, presented in all seriousness, can play for thirty minutes or an hour and a half. It leaves the audience completely convinced that I have the powers of X-Ray Vision—even with a full disclaimer. This, my friends, is real bread and butter stuff. Secretly, I have always wanted a “casual” demonstration of these supposed powers—something that could be performed with any deck of cards, at any time!

And, that's exactly what we have here, in THE XRAY DECK. Steve has done a wonderful job, completely solving the problem—creating a practical, perform anywhere solution for the effect. He’s then gone on to clearly and concisely detail every nuance of his clever and direct method. Once you fully understand Steve’s approach, you’ll be able to perform The X-Ray Deck anywhere.

Here's what some professional mentalists and scholars have said about THE XRAY DECK:

"Great idea, great routine and great thinking! Another winner!" -- Greg Arce

"Waaa?!?! That is ****ing AWESOME!" -- Jeremy Weiss

"X-RAY is one of the most fantastic effects I have come across. I like simple, easy-to-perform effects that require subtlety and sleight of mind rather than sleight of hand. This is an effect that Al Koran would have been proud to have invented. I can not wait to perform it and I know it is going to become a magical classic." -- Martin Breese

"A wonderfully clear cut plot. This is very powerful and appears utterly impossible." -- Marc Paul

"X-RAY is an amazing effect that also ENTERTAINS the audience. I know the professional performers, with dynamic personalities, will love X-RAY. However, I know X-ray will be a miracle, even when performed by average magicians, just for their friends." -- Steve Dusheck

"Not only did I immediately absorb every last detail and nuance employed in the development of the X-RAY routine, I was blown away by the number of well known and respected names I encountered that had a collaborative role in its construction. X-RAY is an extremely powerful and entertaining effect. Watching Steve Shufton and Ben Harris concoct a recipe for a satisfying and delicious mental effect is as sweet as the frosting on my cake. Do I like it? You bet I do. Highly recommended." -- Larry Becker

Take advantage of the pre-publication offer:
Order NOW for just $16.95

Receive Instant Download Teaser with Introduction & Forword. Final file delivered Sept 10.

http://www.wowbound.com

Did we have some fun?

Benny
Sounds Great! :)

Kyle
Benny, you're our hero, man! We're not worthy! We're not worthy!!
Daffy,

You are my hero.

Benny
(a free set of Xray Specs have not been sent to ya!)
Clark Kent has nothing on this baby!
Don't tease us. Tell us more details!
Message: Posted by: Bernardo Rodriguez (Aug 15, 2010 07:12PM)
Wow I don't know what's betetr the effect, the price, or the fact that you get to put those kool Xray specs on your avatar picture... Hmm
Imagine:

A REGULAR deck is removed from the case and shuffled - it is verified that all 52 cards are there - all different. The performer leaves the room (or turns his/her back). Spectator inverts a card in the deck, and seals the deck back in the un-gimmicked box. Performer returns, and NEVER touches the deck. Performer uses X-Ray vision to determine which card is inverted! Still, not EVER touching the deck, the performer delves a little deeper with special X-Ray powers and finally names the position of the card in the deck! The SPECTATOR opens the deck and counts down - and lo and behold, there is the card. Brain cells start to melt from the ears!

Any deck - can even be borrowed! No stooges or confederates. No electronics, mirrors, magnets. The deck and the box are ungimmicked and REAL. No duplicates. No memorized stacks or card stacking systems. Can be done anywhere at anytime!

Best of all, this is a real killer - your spectators will be stunned and have no possible explanation! Highly touted by some of the best names in the business - and so very reasonably priced - even better with the pre-order.

I'm very proud of this one. It has been my little pet for well over a year. I'm so glad that we can finally release it to YOU.
Sounds SO good!
Great!
Wow! Thanks Steve! This is the post we have all been waiting for! Of course, you are going to bombed with orders, but when is the release date and the price?
Release date is September 10th. You can save a few dollars if you preorder:

Just $19.95 but even better with the preorder! Only $16.95!
You just won an order!
I took the plunge. Ok, Steve and Bennie! Do me! Give me X Ray vision! Bring it on, man!
Put in my order
I think it would be really cool if they could include the glasses we see them wearing in their avatar! Would add a nice "fun" aspect to the effect.
I'm in.
Cool! Where can we get a pair?
Not sure Doug as they are like rocking horse manure now.
Rocking horse manure? LOL!!
Would you say this is perfect for walkaround/strolling?
Sounds incredible!!!
Will get it...
I found a link where you can get X ray specs.
[i]X-Ray Specs[/i] are very easy to find, for example [url=http://www.halloweenexpress.com/xray-specs-p-1083.html]here[/url]. If you GOOGLE the product, you'll find a number of other sources as well.
Too good to miss, my orders in!
[quote]
On 2010-08-17 18:59, Larry Davidson wrote:
[i]X-Ray Specs[/i] are very easy to find, for example [url=http://www.halloweenexpress.com/xray-specs-p-1083.html]here[/url]. If you GOOGLE the product, you'll find a number of other sources as well.
[/quote]
Nice one Larry. I actually found that webpage but failed to notice the buyitnow link on the right, Doh. And the funny thing is, they are cheaper now than they were in the 70's, well cheaper than in the UK anyway.
The effect can obviously be performed without them, but for those of us who like to clown around, they could add a comic touch to the routine.
I'm in ! =)
Using my Xray Specs

Benny
You look like you are staring right through our very souls!
Lol!
Supe had nothing on Benny!
Ben never disappoints---I am excited to get this
Just placed my order!
Lol

You guys are funny. I love it. The last few posts had me laughing out loud, just the antidote for hard days slog.
We'll have the pre-orders delivered BEFORE Sept 10. Just as soon as the print copies hit the distributor, we'll release the ebook. We sort of got a little ahead of ourselves, here.

Benny
Ahead of yourselves? By all means please do! For those of us who pre-ordered, what is the new anticipated date?
I cannot wait for this!

this is going to be gold, as all other creations by Harris and ideas by Shufton.

Alex
Amen! Hey Steve and Benny, how about that new anticipated early release date?
Message: Posted by: Bernardo Rodriguez (Aug 23, 2010 08:15PM)
Wow The effect sounds impossible I like that! I'll keep my eyes open for what more people say about this one. Looks like you have yet another winner Ben. Great Job! Started with "Crossroads" down to "Silent Running" now "X-Ray". What will you think of next... haha

Bernardo Rodriguez
What happened to the stars of this thread?
Sorry, Doug! Had the goggles on, and couldn't see the computer!

We think it will be a bit early, but can't give a definite date - we would hate to be wrong!

Here's looking at you-

-Stevo
Steve, will the instructions teach us how to do THIS?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wo9VTZXfRI
Lol :) So excited
I can't wait to get "the power" too! Peter Loughran gave me the power to float, now Steve And Benny will give me the power to see through things!
I am just as excited as you Daffy.

Cant wait!!!!

Just 17 more days.

Alex
[quote]
On 2010-08-24 03:33, daffydoug wrote:
Steve, will the instructions teach us how to do THIS?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wo9VTZXfRI
[/quote]

Oh my..

That commercial is awesome!
Do you remember George Reeves and the original Superman series? I sure do as it was a part of my childhood, but now I'm just an old f**t.
OK guys this is it.....the moment you have been waiting for.....

REVIEW XRAY by Shufton and Harris

What can I say??

Ben Harris has done it again with collaborator Steve Shufton by his side, what could go wrong?? absolutely nothing.....

I was very fortunate to be one of the few to get a review copy of XRAY recently, and read it through a couple of times....

the effect is golden, and the method is very sneaky and devious....

Kinda makes me think, why I never thought it up....

Anyways, my review is unbiased as I get no profit from writing a good or bad review.

LEt me start by saying I first purchased from Ben Harris, The CrossRoads deck....i did it on National TV in a studio performance, and it killed....what was next..........I then bought Silent Running....another great effect that I use....then came Run Silent Run Deep, and as you know I reviewed that as well, and it was for me one of the best ebooks/books to hit 2010.
Then came XRAY................

I have already performed it 10 times, after reading the ebook about 3 times to get all the subtleties, etc, etc...

let me tell you...............with the right patter, presentation.....even without, this effect SLAYS!!!!

Imagine performing this close up or stage........works both ways!

I have the spec turn over a card in the deck,and case it...i then come back....and bam.....i name their card with accuracy, and then I proceed to tell the spec the number it falls on.....doesnt get any better than this....

love it......

you can play this all sorts of ways.......

this effect to me is just as good if not better than Run Silent Run Deep, but RSRD holds a special place in my repertoire when I combine it with Ran Pinks White Room.........and ICAIN....

Anyways,

even though I got a review copy....this effect is worth $19.95, Ben could have easily charged double and it would still be worth it!

Grab your hats gentleman you are in for a real treat!!!

I rate this effect out of 10 stars, a 9/10, because of a slight issue I am having at times when practicing, but its just me, when you buy the effect, PM Me and we can talk ways of getting around it.

As the years progress both Ben and Steve create even better more devastating effects.....I wonder what they will have in store for us in 2011.

Thanks Ben for releasing this to us.

Alex
Alex,

Thank you for your kind words. And, for road testing this in the real world. Both Steve and I are just chuffed that you've found the results as strong/positive as those that we've encountered.

The pre-publication offer ($16.95) will stay in place until Sept 9 (as originally adversed).

Cheers

Benny
That review just makes me more excited about this! I'm glad I pre-ordered!
Hi Alex,

Glad you are loving this - thanks for the great review.

-Steve
Steve,

I think we're so far ahead with our schedule that this can be released early. I'm thinking, like tomorrow, or the day after. Leave the pre-publication special in place until Sept 9 to be fair. The print version will be available on Sept 10, but the EBOOK NOW.

This means we can take off these ***ed specs! The blinking is driving me insane!

What do ya think?

Benny
I'm gonna chime in before Daffy Doug here, and say yes please, I want the ebook NOW. Great news Ben. Could I be performing this for the weekend?
Hi all,

I was lucky enough to receive a Pre - Release copy of X - Ray.
It is truly BRILLIANT.
Simplicity at its best, a shocking mentalism effect that is going to fry them like a French Fry. A brilliant effect from two brilliant magicians, everything is detailed to perfection, and everything is written and presented with as much beauty as a picturesque sunset in the Carribean.
I am definitely going to use this, and to be honest I can't see who wouldn't. Its perfect for all skill groups and perfect for any setting. The effect is truly astounding to the spectator, and the method and effect are both so clean.
Well done Ben and Steve, another winner here..

Kyle
Check your inboxes! Mine is here, have read the instructions and I am in the process of sorting it out. This looks real good!

Posted: Aug 27, 2010 5:26am
By the way Ben, your first link worked fine for me.
Got it in my inbox too but I'll have to wait til I get home tonight unless my phone can open the file
L-O-V-I-N-G T-H-I-S-!

Formal review coming after more road testing!

Jamie Daws
[quote]
On 2010-08-27 05:24, westo wrote:
Check your inboxes!! Mine is here, have read the instructions and I am in the process of sorting it out. This looks real good!
[/quote]
I'm on it now man, like stink on a bug!

When I clicked on the link it said:

wowbound digital downloads - Download Expired
The download period has expired or the file has been downloaded more times than allowed.
In order to download the order again, you will have to request additional downloads using the form below.
You may also contact the seller at: sales@wowbound.com

Name:Merchant Download
Email:deliveryservices@wowbound.com
Order No:PLE1C20C06CE37432
Transaction Date:8/27/2010
This is amazing!!!
Im so impressed, this is the best effect I have buyed in a lot of time.
So clean, so easy to perform, so impposible looking!
Congratulations Ben and Shufton!!

J. Prager
Ok! I figured it out! Got it!

Hey! What do we need this effect for when we can buy REAL X ray specs?

http://hubpages.com/hub/Real-X-Ray-Glasses
Benny,

I wasn't aware these specs could come off! Meanwhile, they make such a strong fashion statement, I'm not sure we should be so quick to give them up.

Thanks, guys, for the wonderful feedback. I look forward to hearing more.

-Steve
Oh believe me. You WILL!
Smack in the middle of rehearsals right now but I am REALLY looking forward to reading this!
I can guarantee you this, after having read it myself, you will be smacking yourself on the head and thinking "Why didn't I think of that?"
WOW! Nice clear & concise thinking here.

While no new principles are in play here, (How often are they in magic?), this is a nice combination of two well known principles with a fantastic script. Without tipping anything, one of the principles is very well scripted. The other principle is one of those few methods than can be achieved in a variety of ways depending on the performers experience and preference.

In addition to the XRay plot, this could easily play as remote viewing. That is how I am going to utilize the effect. This could also be a hands off, amped up version of Larry Becker's Out of Body (Although the method is completely different). Only performed it once, but WOW! It packed a wallop.

This is NOT old wine in a new bottle. It IS something that you will use.

Well done Benny and Steve!
Yup! This is a keeper!
Certainly a keeper.
I can't thank you enough Steve and Ben for your amazing contribution.
This is an amazing effect, really easy to do, 100% practical and totally impossible for anything to be backtracked.
Best of luck,
Titanas
[quote]
On 2010-08-27 18:42, daffydoug wrote:
I can guarantee you this, after having read it myself, you will be smacking yourself on the head and thinking "Why didn't I think of that?"
[/quote]

Agreed. It's also so dang clever. For the routine, amazing creative thinking went into this.

I would imagine for restaurants, you could turn your back and have them place the cased deck under their table. You turn around and do the routine.
X-Ray is quite simply a worker.

The method is completely deceptive and whilst some of us may have a 'why didn't I think of that' moment, the fact is we didn't! And the good news is that although the method does its job well, that is only a small part of the story.

The real strength of X-Ray is the premise/presentation. The concept is as potent as it is simple, and is exactly the kind of thing professional performers live for. Performed properly, X-Ray is a reputation maker.

Like one or two others, Ben kindly sent me a review copy of this manuscript, but I can honestly say that at $19.95 (or $16.95 for now) X-Ray is a gimme.

Keep 'em coming Benny!

Cheers,

ME
This is super freakin awesome! The best 17 dollars I've spent.
Just read it over. VERY well done Benny and Steve! Bravo!
To celebrate, I purchased a pair of X-ray specs online.
Loved x-ray. Got it yesterday and have given it the wife test. Told her I knew her card and she responded 'oh yeah nice one, you done me again'. Then told her the cards exact position in the deck... She Freaked out. It'll do for me. Thanks Steve and Paul. A real worker
Roger, Wilko, and thanks.

I'll tell Benny that you liked it, though I'm sure Paul will be happy too!
One of you guy's best!
DOH!! can a mod please edit/delete my post and spare my blushes.
Sorry BENNY...
Happens to the best of us!
After Church we went to breakfast and before we left, I did X ray for them. The drinking glasses had this unusual cut-glass design and I used that to loook into. Afterwards, everyone turned their glasses upside down and tried to look through the table. HA!
Sweet, man.

Benny
X-Ray is the effect of the year!
Just did this at a dinner party tonite and it went over great!
Strong effect!
You like?
Hi,
I have just read it and tried a few times.
I'm surprised by the simplicity.
"Very good trick!"

I will test it tomorrow.

But so far I am very satisfied and not disappointed!
Can recommend it - even if everything is already known.
But newly composed to a new masterpiece!

all the best
marc
[quote]
On 2010-08-29 09:17, daffydoug wrote:
Happens to the best of us!
[/quote]

Hehe, you know all about it!
Very nice!
I'll try it next week.
If my X-Ray specs haven't arrived, I'll just look through the Portal.
I'm amazed! I finally got around to trying the basic principal on which this effect is based. (Not having heard of it before) and cutting the cards myself, I am amazed that it worked 99% of the time!

I've been in magic all these years and have never heard of this principal? I need to kick myself.

Now here is my question. It worked for me 99% of the time. What happens when it doesn't work in the spectators hands that leftover 1%? What is our out?

The 99 times it works, you look good. REAL good. But the other one percent you look like a failure.

What is our out?
[quote]
On 2010-08-30 18:44, daffydoug wrote:
The 99 times it works, you look good. REAL good. But the other one percent you look like a failure.

What is our out?
[/quote]

There is a brief "Out" segment in the file, it states to use an Invisible Deck or Kolossal Killer as an out.

Phil
I don't own Kollossal killer, but I have a few invisible decks lying around! :)
[quote]
daffydoug wrote:
I don't own Kollossal killer, but I have a few invisible decks lying around! :)
[/quote]

"...now if I could just only find them..."

:)
I know you meant that in humor, but it's true!! Got so many tricks that it has become very difficult to keep them organized.
Ok, I received my XRAY yesterday night and as I start to read the explanation I thought...why I don't have thought of that?????Is sooo clever that make this routines impossible for the people (and also for the magician..believe me!..lol..)
I practice few hours yesterday night and this morning I perform to my fiance'..and WOW went really good as first performance...she start to ask me if was a tricky card case or gimmiked cards...NOTHING everything is examinable and you have a real miracle with a normal deck of cards..ready everytime in your pocket...
Guys this is a real WINNER and Im not say this because Im a huge fan of Ben Harris, I really men it...you need to try to believe how strong is!!!!
So get it as soon you can and have fun!!!
Thanks for all your positive feedback. Huge kudos to Steve Shufton for his sweet and practical solution.

Benny
REVIEW:

This principle , as they state in the manual, has been around for ages! Ben and Steve put together a nice effect working on the presentation first then the method ( instead of finding a cool method and then searching for the trick) .

I like this better than silent running or crossroads! I will actually use this in a simplified form.

PROS :

Its basically self working after you've done the basic certain something.

can be done with a minute of borrowing a deck

seems quiet impossible from the spectators points of view.

They will be hard pressed to find any trace of the method if you do it properly

the deck can be used for other tricks and may even aid you in them

CONS:

This IS not sure fire. I think I will present it in a light hearted way so I don't feel like slitting my wrists if I'm wrong. This should work about 85-99% of the time.

In telling them their card you may be able to tell them immediately or make a few mistakes.

no matter who you are you will look like a dork with x-ray glasses on!

CONCLUSION:

In my opinion this is best done with a borrowed deck. the strength of the effect is that it seems pretty hands off and may be repeated after a quick reset. There is risk of failure leaving you to think on your feet or be laughed at.

8/10
[quote]
On 2010-09-01 06:48, lucavolpe wrote:
Ok, I received my XRAY yesterday night and as I start to read the explanation I thought...why I don't have thought of that?????Is sooo clever that make this routines impossible for the people (and also for the magician..believe me!..lol..)
I practice few hours yesterday night and this morning I perform to my fiance'..and WOW went really good as first performance...she start to ask me if was a tricky card case or gimmiked cards...NOTHING everything is examinable and you have a real miracle with a normal deck of cards..ready everytime in your pocket...
Guys this is a real WINNER and Im not say this because Im a huge fan of Ben Harris, I really men it...you need to try to believe how strong is!!!!
[/quote]

I'm not sure bout the examinability factor. If they look at the card which you have gimmicked, they can definitely see the mark.
I did it with plastic coated cards with busy back design. I also suppose its how you do it. I cant see it on my card
Right on Daff. For that reason I am considering an alternative that was briefly mentioned in the text. Set-up would be slightly more time consuming perhaps but it would eliminate the problem.
I'll have to read the text more carefully, then. I missed that part.
This effect is fantastic! The method is simple, and Richard Busch's contributions are great!

Well worth the price!

Nice job Benny and Steve!

Looking forward to more,

Paul
I love the simplicity of the effect which leads to an amazing result!!

Great work Steve and Ben!!
[quote]
On 2010-09-01 11:11, daffydoug wrote:
[quote]
On 2010-09-01 06:48, lucavolpe wrote:
[/quote]

I'm not sure bout the examinability factor. If they look at the card which you have gimmicked, they can definitely see the mark.
[/quote]

Depending on which way you are gimmicking your card :)
My X ray specs arrived in the mail today from Magic depot. I know it's sounds silly, but I'm going to play this up for fun.

Maybe do the effect once with the specs on for a comic angle, then smoke 'em by putting the specs away and doing it FOR REAL!
Thanks for the wondeful feedback. We are happy you are enjoying this as much as we have!

-Stevo
Cool stuff man! Best thing you released since "emergency Cash" (Which I love, btw!)
OK, let's see...

THIS KILLS!

Chris
Yuppers. :)
Hi. Is there any difficult sleight of hand to perform this miracle?
No! It's very easy!
No difficult sleight of hand here. In fact you done even touch the deck. They pick a card, they case the deck, you tell them the card and then the exact location of it in the deck. I love it. It is not 100% but I haven't had a miss yet.
I highly recommend this.
No misses? That's great! (Since there is that possibility for error.)
I love Ben Harris' Crossroads, Silent Running and it's sequel Run Silent Run Deep which contains Steve Shufton's Hands Off: Silent but Deadly, a brilliant effect, so I decided to purchase Steve's X ray.

What an excellent effect. I tried it a couple of evenings ago on a couple of my magician friends and they were amazed. The principle I use all the time but would never have thought of using it in this way.

Many thanks to Ben Harris and Steve Shufton

Michael J
They were truly thinking outside the box.
I'm on the fence about buying this.

After being disappointed with Silent Running the description here sounds too good to be true.

I suspect there's more procedure to follow than the description would lead me to believe.

I will probably end up buying the effect out of curiosity but will be disappointed if part of the method uses fishing or equivoque (again!)

Will I fall for the hype again? Let's wait and see.
No fishing! No equivoque! Absolutely zero. Guaranteed. I know because I purchased it.
Thanks daffydoug.

I'm one step closer to taking the plunge.
You're welcome. I know how it feels.
Hi Michael J-

Thanks so much for your thoughts and kindness. So glad you are enjoying X-Ray!

-Steve
I'm having some problems with it. I'm hoping Steve or Ben will guide me through the humps.
Andi, here is more info :
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=378812&forum=159

Daffi, what problems do you have ? I may help you if needed, I found useful tips to avoid problems.
I PM'd Doug. He'll be contacting me...

Best to you-

Steve
I think I fixed it with an innovative idea of my own, but I'll contact you anyway. :)
If anyone encounters problems I'll be glad to share my tips.

Best,
Louis
[quote]
On 2010-09-04 11:57, daffydoug wrote:
No fishing! No equivoque! Absolutely zero. Guaranteed. I know because I purchased it.
[/quote]
So I took the plunge and bought it.

Firstly there IS fishing, no doubt about it. Especially as one of the sections mentions a 'Fishing Matrix'!

Secondly, the trick relies on a method that works maybe 75% of the time. Ted Lesley had a way of working with the method to make it 100% but that approach wouldn't work here.

For me this is an interesting combination of existing ideas but is far too risky for a headline effect. The two outs offered are a cop out imho. I think the effect needs a bit more thought to make it sure-fire.

Imagine missing the card after all that build up. Embarrassment central!
What if you fake a prediction with an invisible deck ? so what happens is : the performer makes a prediction by turning a card over, he leaves the room(letting his deck on the table) and the spectator follows the instructions in his own deck. finally, if you find the card by Xray means you have also a match with your prediction, you can also reveal the position*. if you don't find the card, luckily you made a prediction earlier. that way you have a full surefire routine. Both are quite strong... ;)

*in your invisible deck, you can also write on the back of the cards the position number of the card (don't forget to visibly shuffle the spectator's deck at the beginning). And reveal the card you turned over as a DOUBLE prediction if you have indeed a hit. If you don't, don't talk at all about the position. The prediction is made in front of everyone but bringing your invisible deck under the table of course.

PM for further details =)
[quote]
On 2010-09-06 16:23, Andi Peters wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

Firstly there IS fishing, no doubt about it. Especially as one of the sections mentions a 'Fishing Matrix'!

Secondly, the trick relies on a method that works maybe 75% of the time. Ted Lesley had a way of working with the method to make it 100% but that approach wouldn't work here.

For me this is an interesting combination of existing ideas but is far too risky for a headline effect. The two outs offered are a cop out imho. I think the effect needs a bit more thought to make it sure-fire.

[/quote]
I don't remember reading the words "fishing Matrix", but I'll assume that they are there, however, I would hardly call what happens "Fishing" since I don't think another magician would even recognize this as fishing. The revelation happens so quickly and unexpectedly that even if someone would suspect this, they would be hit right between the eyes, when you name the card. Not to mention when you then follow-up with naming the position of the card. I said this in another post on the Cafť, this is a fantastic effect and the description is exactly what happens, no info left out or double meanings. Simple, Direct and Powerful. I would also have to say that anyone familiar with the handling used in this effect, should experience a close to 100% success rate. That's been my experience with both this effect as well as other routines in which this "something" is used.
Cliff

To be fair on Andi . He asked a simple question of daffydoug before he purchased to clarrify a point. The answer was a clear NO .. If I described the method to 10 magic buddies they would say daddydoug answer was wrong , not misleading but wrong . I agree there are levels to the method and this version is one of the best but the fact remains Andi would not have purchased it if he had been given a correct answer . I did in fact send him a PM not wanting to open the method out on the thread but he bought the effect before he read my PM .

I have tried to help Andi by sending a method inspired by Ben's which other than not leaving the room is 90% the same as Ben's, but Free Cut , No fishing , 100% all the time .

Ben was kind enough to send me a email liking my approach
[quote]
On 2010-09-06 22:38, Gregory57 wrote:
[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
I don't remember reading the words "fishing Matrix", but I'll assume that they are there, however, I would hardly call what happens "Fishing" since I don't think another magician would even recognize this as fishing. The revelation happens so quickly and unexpectedly that even if someone would suspect this, they would be hit right between the eyes, when you name the card. Not to mention when you then follow-up with naming the position of the card. I said this in another post on the Cafť, this is a fantastic effect and the description is exactly what happens, no info left out or double meanings. Simple, Direct and Powerful. I would also have to say that anyone familiar with the handling used in this effect, should experience a close to 100% success rate. That's been my experience with both this effect as well as other routines in which this "something" is used.
[/quote]
True. Not really fishing because you can get at the MOST one "no".
Nice idea Tab.

But if you used it this way you would probably want to change your patter away from the X-ray premise. It wouldn't make any sense as to how you knew what card to turn over in the invisible deck if you are pretending to utilize X-ray vision to see the card the spectator has chosen and turned over.

But it does make things fool-proof and 100%!

Cheers!

** Bill **

[quote]
On 2010-09-06 17:02, The.Amazing.Boy wrote:
What if you fake a prediction with an invisible deck ? so what happens is : the performer makes a prediction by turning a card over, he leaves the room(letting his deck on the table) and the spectator follows the instructions in his own deck. finally, if you find the card by Xray means you have also a match with your prediction, you can also reveal the position*. if you don't find the card, luckily you made a prediction earlier. that way you have a full surefire routine. Both are quite strong... ;)

*in your invisible deck, you can also write on the back of the cards the position number of the card (don't forget to visibly shuffle the spectator's deck at the beginning). And reveal the card you turned over as a DOUBLE prediction if you have indeed a hit. If you don't, don't talk at all about the position. The prediction is made in front of everyone but bringing your invisible deck under the table of course.

PM for further details =)
[/quote]
Yes of course, patter is everything ! I would not have used it like described above. Glad you liked it !

Cheers
Louis
I love this! I actually did this three time to the same person and it killed them.
Yes Jim this is a killer!
My favorite effect this year!

J. Prager
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the wonderful comments. Steve and I are thrilled to announce that the beautifully printed "REAL BOOK" version is available from all fine dealers as of SEPTEMBER 20. That's next Monday!

The book is beautifully printed and saddle stitched with a glossy and classy cover. Well worth adding to your PHYSICAL book shelf.

Cheers

Benny & Stevo
I'm in love with this effect, and came up with a very simple way to do it impromptu, with the least amount of card handling, even with a borrowed deck.

The positive side : It is more direct than the main version. You name the card, and the number without hesitation. You can check the deck after and there will be absolutely no evidence of what just happened.

The negative side : Based on a principle which is less reliable, than the original one.

If you like the main method, and interested in this, and willing to try it, just write me a pm (five member only at this moment). I'll ask you a question which you can answer if you have the effect, and I'll send you what I've came up with.

Norbert
I sent you a PM Norbert.
Iīm in love too with this effect.
Great to see that you guys are already thinking about this from different angles. Yes, there are lots of ways to achieve it, and finding the right balance/method is a great exercise!

I'm following Xray (if I'm seated at a table) by reading through the back of menus, business cards, etc. I'm simply using my iPHONE as a reflector. It sits in my lap, screen side up. Makes a perfect and large reflecting surface!

Benny
Norbert,
I just sent you a PM.
[quote]
On 2010-09-20 16:33, Ben Harris wrote:
Great to see that you guys are already thinking about this from different angles. Yes, there are lots of ways to achieve it, and finding the right balance/method is a great exercise!

I'm following Xray (if I'm seated at a table) by reading through the back of menus, business cards, etc. I'm simply using my iPHONE as a reflector. It sits in my lap, screen side up. Makes a perfect and large reflecting surface!

Benny
[/quote]

Great tip, Benny! Thanks!
Hi Daffy,

Yes, an iphone, (or the like), makes a wonderful shiner. And there is no heat because it's something that you are carrying with you as an everyday object. Great for also glimpsing the bottom card of the deck if using a stack.

Benny
I've gotten the hard-copy books in my hand, and I must say they are simply beautiful. Large size, colorful, 26 pages, and just great. These are available from dealers everywhere. I gave Benny a call to brag about it.

Best to all-

Stevo
Looking forward to receiving my samples from the printer in the U.S. I'm so used to checking jobs while they are on the press! Thanks for the call Stevo.

Benny
I was really getting very close to purchasing this until I came across the mention of a "shiner" being used. Is the use of some type of a "shiner" needed to pull off this effect??
[quote]
On 2010-09-26 13:22, gaffed wrote:
I was really getting very close to purchasing this until I came across the mention of a "shiner" being used. Is the use of some type of a "shiner" needed to pull off this effect??
[/quote]

No.
Thanks, as that really didn't make much sense to me.
Obviously I read what the effect was and all of the posts on this thread.
So after all of that, the word, or the use of a shiner just didn't jive!
No shiner, gaffed. I was simply drawing attention to a FOLLOW-UP idea. NOTHING to do with the modus-operandi of XRAY itself.

Benny
[quote]
On 2010-09-26 20:38, Ben Harris wrote:
No shiner, gaffed. I was simply drawing attention to a FOLLOW-UP idea. NOTHING to do with the modus-operandi of XRAY itself.

Benny
[/quote]
Yep, that's what I sort of figured but I just wanted to make sure.
More likely than not I'll be placing an order for this sometime this week as it sounds very intriguing to say the least! From what I gather is that although the card count part of this trick may not be 100% the knowledge of the card cut to is?
If that is indeed the case the idea of using an Invisible Deck really sounds like a nice kicker to end it. Anyway, I'll [i]eventually[/i] find out! ;)

Posted: Sep 28, 2010 4:34pm
Just ordered it today from Penguin. I'll then see how it goes, but I have a suspicion that I'll more likely than not have some questions. Looking forward to it.
[quote]
On 2010-09-07 10:12, daffydoug wrote:
[quote]
On 2010-09-06 22:38, Gregory57 wrote:
[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
True. Not really fishing because you can get at the MOST one "no".
[/quote]
It doesn't matter how many "no"s you get ... IT'S STILL FISHING
See the demo and review at:

http://www.youtube.com/worldmagicshop

Benny
Why did the last post get deleted?

There was no exposure at all?
I feel bad that I'm jaded and think too much like a magician. As soon as I saw the demo, I figured it out... HOWEVER that does not lessen the beauty of this effect or mean that one should not buy it. Laymen will NEVER catch it, and I believe it will KILL. I can't wait to try it out at my restaurant gig tomorrow. I got a $20 tip tonight, so I might use it to purchase X-Ray anyway, as I'm sure I could learn more that can be done with it. It's an awesomely deceiving plot.
DDuane
There's a lot more that goes into than what can be drawn from the demo. You'll enjoy it :)
I was sadly unimpressed with this.
Alan
I understand your thinking but from seeing the way it played on Craig on WPR (whether it was dramatized or not) you can see its potential.
[quote]
On 2010-11-04 03:22, rockthemike wrote:
Alan
I understand your thinking but from seeing the way it played on Craig on WPR (whether it was dramatized or not) you can see its potential.
[/quote]

Nothing was dramatised at all. The first time I saw that effect performed was live on the show and that was my genuine reaction. I absolutely love this effect it's great.
[quote]
On 2010-11-04 01:55, Alan Rorrison wrote:
[/quote]

I personally, don't know how you could be unimpressed, when you just saw a card being divinated by the magi, after the spec had cut to any card, turned it face up and boxed the cards - whilst the magi had left the room!
The magi then divinated what number it lay at!

I have X Ray, and IMO I belive it fries.

Just my 2 cents.

Best wishes,

Kyle
Ditto, Kyle, Xray elicits an extremely strong reaction. Just look at the effect from a laymen perspective. Hands off, can leave the room, regular deck, plus the entire premise, whether presented, tongue in cheek or semi-serious, it doesn't matter, it plays extremely strong.

[quote]
On 2010-11-04 03:57, KyleMacNeill wrote:
[quote]
On 2010-11-04 01:55, Alan Rorrison wrote:
[/quote]
I personally, don't know how you could be unimpressed, when you just saw a card being divinated by the magi, after the spec had cut to any card, turned it face up and boxed the cards - whilst the magi had left the room!
The magi then divinated what number it lay at!

I have X Ray, and IMO I belive it fries.

Just my 2 cents.

Best wishes,

Kyle
[/quote]
This is BEAUTIFUL. After watching the performance on the WPR I was floored and bought the ebook straight away. You literally can do this within half an hour of learning it... It's NOT 100% successful but the odds of failing are extremely low... After performing this at least 10 times today it only failed once. That's at least a 90% success rate, which with an effect of this nature is excellent.

Simply put, I haven't been this excited about a mental card effect since Diplopia from 3 years ago. This has got to be one of the hottest mental effects of the year.
Of course, you don't actually have to leave the room. Just step away and turn your back. The plot is novel, and ENGAGES the audience. We find it has the power of an ACAAN type routine but with an extra layer of "entertainment" (the Xray concept) thrown in.

Thank you all for your feedback.

Ben and steve
I took the plunge last night too - Oy vey, do I like X Ray a lot!

Well first of all the writing is really well done, and entertaining. The X-Ray to my mind is simply brilliant. The brilliance as I'm sure others have already mentioned is in it's simplicity to arrive at a mind blowing "hands off" effect that seems impossible.

I have been looking at X-Ray for a month now and of course Craig & Dave sealed it, but it will be interesting to see the percentages which I keep hearing hear at MC. Audience management and solid/simple instructions seem key to making X-Ray come off like a charm. Personally I really like it.

I disagree with the comment about "fishing." Call it what you will but what matters is how this plays to the audience, not to Magicians in the know.

Posted: Nov 5, 2010 12:04pm
One small comment: I just noticed that the E-Book I downloaded from Vanishing Inc. did not have any page numbers at the bottom. It would help a little - I'm going to put my copy in a binder today but still it would a nice touch.

Maybe a little pair of X-Ray glasses at the bottom with a number above!
Had lots of fun with XRAY today!

Kyle
I placed my order on Penguin today, can't wait to receive the book!!
Here is the way I am presenting this gem - I LOVE X-RAY:

"A few weeks ago I went to the eye Doctor for a routine exam. I'm a typical guy - I hadn't had my eyes checked in many years and now that I'm 45 I figured it was about time. The Doc went through the whole drill, dilated my eyes...and when he came back into the room he looked very serious and was shaking his head."

"Pretty bad, huh Doc?"

But suddenly he laughed a bit and said, "Bad? No not bad news - really good news. Brett you have 20/10 vision - truly spectacular for a man of your age! You seriously have the 'holy grail' - what is considered perfect vision... better than 99% of the general public."

"I walked out of the office that day and I thought to myself how I could use my newly discovered 'Vision' as a magician. Today let me show you a little experiment I've been working on which can demonstrate the powers of perfect vision..."
A message for people living on the east side of the pond.
Having done a quick search on Wikipedia, the items mentioned on page 15 are equal to the larger of the two copper ones in your pocket!
Sorry to be so cryptic, but I hope it helps.

Willy.
Well said, Willy!

saysold1 -- great idea!

Benny
[quote]
On 2010-11-05 11:45, saysold1 wrote:
...I disagree with the comment about "fishing." Call it what you will but what matters is how this plays to the audience, not to Magicians in the know.
[/quote]

No, you should call it fishing. And nothing else. Because that is what it is.
One of our leading pros is using XRAY with BIOKINESIS! Now that is a freaky combination!

Benny
[quote]
On 2010-11-06 17:58, Ben Harris wrote:
One of our leading pros is using XRAY with BIOKINESIS! Now that is a freaky combination!

Benny
[/quote]
Naaa, that would just proove what many have long suspected and they'd lock me away for sure.
Big, goofy X-Ray Specs will do just fine.
Funny, Jazzy Snazzy! Benny
I just bought a pair of $4.00 X-Ray specs from Amazon - geek me out man!

I used to love those X-Ray glasses that were in the back of every comic book in America - Usually showing a young lad wearing them gazing at a pretty girl.

Honestly I don't know if I will use them for the routine but this effect stirs up the urge to own a pair right?

Posted: Nov 6, 2010 10:57pm
A pair of glasses I mean.
Ok Ok I think I want to purchase this effect now..
Just got this and I am so pleased with the effect.Very nice method with no gimmicks...just the way I like like! I hope to perform it soon.Well done to Ben & Steve for such a direct impossible looking effect! Also it's the 115th Anniversary of the discovery of x-rays which is really cool.
"Also it's the 115th Anniversary of the discovery of x-rays which is really cool."

Timing is everything!

LOL

Benny
Forgive me for asking but I don't want to trawl through 8 pages. Is this a "show piece" or can it be done in a less formal arena like strolling? I.e is it repeatable with relative ease?

Cheers in advance
[quote]
On 2010-11-08 06:54, Paul S Wingham wrote:
Forgive me for asking but I don't want to trawl through 8 pages. Is this a "show piece" or can it be done in a less formal arena like strolling? I.e is it repeatable with relative ease?

Cheers in advance
[/quote]

Definitely not formal- it is repeatable but does require a quick bit of work. Table strolling would be perfect for this. You can repeat with different outcomes but peobably (like most effects) not to the same specs.
Thanks- that's a great help.
The questions smelled familiar. Can I ask if this is another application of the CR deck?
Hi Cyber.

No relation to CR at all. Here's a demo:

http://www.youtube.com/worldmagicshop

It's about half way into the show.

Benny
Thanks Ben, this was the demo I saw where the questions "sounded familiar" (I own Slient Running) I'll take it on your word that the working is quite different.

As seen in that demo its totally astounding. I'd like to see a few more honest performances though to know if it always plays that fine or if its possible to "miss" on some of the questions.
Hi Cyber:

The method uses a regular deck and the combination of several time-tested methods and subtleties. There is a very small amount of "fishing" (minimal) and a very slight chance the effect will fail. I'll allow users to reply with how they feel the combination of methods, versus chance of failure, stack up. Thanks for your interest in Xray!

Benny
[quote]
On 2010-11-08 15:10, Cyberqat wrote:
Thanks Ben, this was the demo I saw where the questions "sounded familiar" (I own Slient Running) I'll take it on your word that the working is quite different.

As seen in that demo its totally astounding. I'd like to see a few more honest performances though to know if it always plays that fine or if its possible to "miss" on some of the questions.
[/quote]

Hey Cyber,

Think of the classic pass. I almost never miss. In fact been years. It still has to do with certain management and the more you do it the better the odds. As soon as you get it, you're going to hit 90%. You'll easily overcome the 10%.

Steve
[quote]
On 2010-11-08 15:37, Steven Conner wrote:
[quote]
On 2010-11-08 15:10, Cyberqat wrote:

[/quote]

Hey Cyber,

Think of the classic pass. I almost never miss. In fact been years. It still has to do with certain management and the more you do it the better the odds. As soon as you get it, you're going to hit 90%. You'll easily overcome the 10%.

Steve
[/quote]

But you're not cutting the deck. The spectator is.
Correct. You lose a lot of "effect" if you cut the deck yourself.

LOL.

Benny
I'm letting the spectator cut the deck. Anyway it works for me.
Max Krause's "Mental Killer" would work as a great out if you fail.
By placing the C box along one side, the cut is pretty much taken care of with no issues.
Cool, thanks!

Steve Shufton posted a nice advert with all the "what it isn'ts" that answered all my questions. This is now on my wish-list for the next time I make a purchase.

Really, dynamite effect guys., I have some random guesses, but if they are right, the fact that you guys perfected it so it really works most of the time is amazing.

Kudos on a great effect, however it is done.

Do you guys recommend Mental Killer too?

Edit: Darn. its an iphone app. I have an Android phone and an Ipad.
Cyberqat;
I think of myself as a mentalist
I am an absolute muffin when it comes to cards.
Even my Elmsley count is rubbish.
But X ray is the first card effect in my arsenal.

I also have Silent Running but X Ray ticks all the boxes for me.

You've seen the demo. It really is that clean.

Steve
[quote]
On 2010-11-09 12:10, Cyberqat wrote:
Cool, thanks!

Steve Shufton posted a nice advert with all the "what it isn'ts" that answered all my questions. This is now on my wish-list for the next time I make a purchase.

Really, dynamite effect guys., I have some random guesses, but if they are right, the fact that you guys perfected it so it really works most of the time is amazing.

[/quote]

Xray is one of the strongest pure card efffects possible and I highly reccommend mental killer for a complete worry free performance of xray.. I have the phone number for mental killer written on the inside flap of the box. If for any reason I feel off, I randomly start calling out the phone number as though Im still looking through the box with xray vision. I can now procede with the effect no matter what.

Good news, I just got off the phone with Max and he is working on some upgrades to allow ipad use.
This is brilliant, have a good out and your sorted, this is one of the best workers I have come across.

If you know any better please post as I would be interested to check them out!
Hey, Robert (bsmith)--

Great idea, my friend! Thanks for sharing that.

Cheers

Benny
Got another tip-

My friend Roland and I have found that in terms of the "cut" process, offering the card to the spectator and placing them in a slightly angled position (spec faing the cards) may work as well or better than the methods mentioned prior. We are placing the deck at the approx 10:00 AM clock position if the spec is facing the cards, with the top edge (far side) of the deck at that 10:00 AM.

This really flows fairly naturally with the hand/wrist of a spectator as the right hand thumb touche the side closest. If you have a lefty then the 2:00PM clock position works well.

I had been using the Max Maven ideas prior and that worked quite well too - just some ideas for you guys to try.

BRETT

Posted: Nov 11, 2010 1:04am
I just showed the trick to my poker group - here is a direct comment from Jason, one of the players as I'm sitting here tonight: "best trick I've seen. I can't even contemplate how it was done. To guess it? And count the cards. Incredible."
That's awesome. Well done! Is he still going to play poker with you? LOL

Benny
I have a question. Is the position of the card going to be the same # the majority of the time?
It really depends on where the spectator cuts. You can alter what cards go where and at what number they are at so if the positioning/number issue starts to bother you, you can always change it. I don't imagine it will be too much of a problem but it can altered none the less.

[quote]
On 2010-11-11 04:24, Lou Cirulli wrote:
I have a question. Is the position of the card going to be the same # the majority of the time?
[/quote]
I think we (including me!) should be very careful here about going any further/deeper in terms of detailed explanations at risk of possible exposures.

Anyone buying X-Ray is in for a killer effect and a wild ride.

Like any trick, repeating immediately for the same person or group is probably never wise.
Not a Trick - an "experiment" !!!
[quote]
On 2010-11-11 11:36, Kaliix wrote:
It really depends on where the spectator cuts. You can alter what cards go where and at what number they are at so if the positioning/number issue starts to bother you, you can always change it. I don't imagine it will be too much of a problem but it can altered none the less.
[/quote]

Thanks Kaliix. That's what I figured! I purchased it 5 days ago and I'm anxiously waiting for it to come in!
[quote]
On 2010-11-10 02:09, bsmith wrote:
[quote]
Cool, thanks!

[/quote]

Xray is one of the strongest pure card efffects possible and I highly reccommend mental killer for a complete worry free performance of xray.. I have the phone number for mental killer written on the inside flap of the box. If for any reason I feel off, I randomly start calling out the phone number as though Im still looking through the box with xray vision. I can now procede with the effect no matter what.

Good news, I just got off the phone with Max and he is working on some upgrades to allow ipad use.
[/quote]

I bought Mental Killer. I don't *quite* get how you are suggesting it be used. COuld I ask yo uto PM me how your routine flows, at least in regard to fitting the out in?
I think he's using it as an "out" if things don't go well
I've only done the effect about four times but it's brilliant, truly brilliant. I use it this way: excuse the code, this is an open forum.. I take a business card and write something on it, sight unseen. Then remove the cards from the box and do the Xray effect. When I return to the performing area after the cut process is complete I start to divine the identity of the card, once successful I say 'do you remember me writing something on that business card before.' I pick it up and NW the number in. I still haven't shown it but pause here for theatrics as I say 'you maybe thinking I predicted the card ahead of time but I didn't' I turn the card around and show the number 'I wrote a number before you did anything, I don't know why this exact number but for whatever reason I felt it would be correct. Please count to that number in the pack.' they do, miracle, applause..

The nature of Xray being so hands off enables you to wear your NW the whole time without fear or awkwardness. Well done Steve and Ben, this is an effect that reads like the ultimate gaffed deck effect minus the gaffed deck.. Genius stuff..

MS
Spellman- just want to say that your website friggin rocks!

Thanks for the ideas - fun stuff. Great ideas.
[quote]
On 2010-11-10 02:09, bsmith wrote:
[quote]
Cool, thanks!

[/quote]

[/quote]

I actually did just that at my last performance and I did happen to miss so I had to use MK.
[quote]
On 2010-11-12 20:16, Marc Spelmann wrote:
I've only done the effect about four times but it's brilliant, truly brilliant. I use it this way: excuse the code, this is an open forum.. I take a business card and write something on it, sight unseen. Then remove the cards from the box and do the Xray effect. When I return to the performing area after the cut process is complete I start to divine the identity of the card, once successful I say 'do you remember me writing something on that business card before.' I pick it up and NW the number in. I still haven't shown it but pause here for theatrics as I say 'you maybe thinking I predicted the card ahead of time but I didn't' I turn the card around and show the number 'I wrote a number before you did anything, I don't know why this exact number but for whatever reason I felt it would be correct. Please count to that number in the pack.' they do, miracle, applause..

The nature of Xray being so hands off enables you to wear your NW the whole time without fear or awkwardness. Well done Steve and Ben, this is an effect that reads like the ultimate gaffed deck effect minus the gaffed deck.. Genius stuff..

MS
[/quote]
Doesn't using the NW take this into the realm of prediction as opposed to seeing through the layers of the box and ink as an X-ray? Maybe this would be a CT scan or MRI!

Posted: Nov 17, 2010 10:20am
I was wondering how critical the "cut near the middle of the deck" instructions are? In performing this I have found so far that the majority of specs do go near the middle. Without exposing, I was just wondering if the creators really feel that this is necessary for audience management or if some are performing X-Ray without asking to cut to the middle?

If this is getting to specific just ignore this post and PM me.
Hey, man.

It's not critical, but is a guide. If you are performing for laymen, it's better to be safe than sorry. Yes, it is audience management.

Benny
Here's another full review of X-Ray for those who are still on the fence about purchasing.

http://www.calebwilesmagic.com/?p=678

Caleb
Caleb: Thanks for the review, but what did you mean when you said...

"One other caveat: you donít simply come back into the room and name the card and number. There is more to it than that. I wonít reveal what it is here, but some may see this as a potential weak spot in the trick. If you are familiar with some of Benís other recent work, you may know what Iím talking about."

I do the effect (love it!) and don't know what you are speaking of, nor do I understand your gist. To me the only possible weakness if there is one is that the effect is not 100% - more like 90%, but to me that adds a little to the fact that this is an experiment and not a trick per se.
Got this today and like the thinking behind it. Although the principles that make it work are nothing new the combination of ideas and the X Ray plot make this a workable effect that has the potential to fry spectators and magicians.

As of yet I've not tried this on a spectator but have practised numerous times and it has yet to fail. I think the success depends upon how well you have prepared the deck. I use a slightly different handling to that described in the booklet which seems to work for me 100% of the time so far.
[quote]
On 2010-11-23 14:25, saysold1 wrote:
Caleb: Thanks for the review, but what did you mean when you said...

"One other caveat: you donít simply come back into the room and name the card and number. There is more to it than that. I wonít reveal what it is here, but some may see this as a potential weak spot in the trick. If you are familiar with some of Benís other recent work, you may know what Iím talking about."

I do the effect (love it!) and don't know what you are speaking of, nor do I understand your gist. To me the only possible weakness if there is one is that the effect is not 100% - more like 90%, but to me that adds a little to the fact that this is an experiment and not a trick per se.
[/quote]

I was speaking about the part of the method that happens after you turn back around to face the spectator. I can't talk too much about it without tipping the workings. I was just trying to say that you don't have all of the information you need upon immediately looking at the deck.

Hope this clears things up... probably not :)

Caleb
http://www.CalebWilesMagic.com
Ben has already stated up front that there is a tiny amount of "fishing", but its not like some of his other effects which depend more heavily on talking the spectator into giving you the answer.

I don't own X-ray yet (its on my wishlist) but from my ignorant stand point that seemed a very fair and honest statement and I appreciate his making it.
Fun story- went to the Magic Castle today for brunch with the family and towards the end the day I went down to the library. The castle was packed as Eugene Berger was there to lecture at 3:30. Magician Bill Goodwin (librarian and great guy) was there and I asked him if he had seen X-Ray yet. Nope, he replied...not yet. But he said he had a copy himself and was really curious to see the X-Ray effect.

Next thing you know he grabbed 4-5 pros sitting around and I did it pretty much "by the book" but with a face down placement of the specs card (I like this better - which is described in the X-Ray PDf - reason is that I find it creates more excitement as the spec cannot anticipate whether the count to card will be correct or not).

Anyway, all were fried. No idea as to the method. Bill Goodwin was especially pleased I think. Berger wasn't there but it was a blast demo-ing Ben and Steve's new baby. Thanks again for such an awesome plot.

BRETT
How heart warming! Glad to know this flew by the pros, and thanks to everyone for the wonderful reviews and sharing of exiting experiences - we are proud.
I wanted to add my two cents concerning X-Ray: simply put the most powerful magic effect I have seen in years. I had the opportunity to perform it several times this weekend and people were speechless. An outstanding addition to my set. Thanks.
Thanks, Oak-

So glad you are enjoying it!

Best to you-

Steve
Ditto

Benny
All I can say about this method is "AMAZING". It never ceases to flat out shock me every time I come across an effect that literally shakes the ground. This effect blew my mind away when I saw David perform it on Wizard Product Review, and after reading so much about it, I had to have it. Just can't beat an effect like this, and your able to perform it with a 'regular' deck of cards!?! YES!!! I thought it was gonna be some harsh not easy technique, but to my surprise after I downloaded the PDF, only to realize it took me longer to download the PDF than it did to actually learn the technique for X-Ray! I also enjoyed reading the history and how the effect was developed to where it is now. A lot of thought, care, and love went into this method. And I for one am a HUGE fan of it. Over all this is yet another effect that is going straight into my developing routine as I strive to perfect the craft we all love.

Only con I found, is that like everything, mistakes can and probably will happen, its really up to you to know how to get out of it, the tips they offered to aid you if so you get into a situation are superb. The Invisible Deck was the best solution to me. But at the end its on you, to save, you. Magic is like Golf, a one man sport, if the effect doesn't work, can't blame anyone but yourself. Just make sure you set up everything correctly, practice, look before you leap, then GO! And it should do the work for you.

Overall rating
:) :) :) :) :) out of 5

PDF = 5/5

Method = 5/5

Tips and pointers = 5/5

Please NOTE: there is no need for gimmicks for this effect, just download the PDF, open it, get a deck of regular cards, and your on your way!

GET EM!
Hi sketchomagic

If you go to the link below and go towards the bottom of page 2, there is a free addenda offered by Ben Harris which was suggested by Nicolino.

This addenda ensures that you will not fail.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=378812&forum=159

All the best

Michael J
So glad you guys are using this!

Benny and Stevo
Question for you guys. Do you usually go into this already setup or do you do the borrowed deck version?
Hi Blindside785

I always go into this from the already set up state. I'm using Nicolino's set up for X Ray Vision and it doesn't lend it self to use a borrowed deck.

Not withstanding, the effect has a great effect on the spectator.

All the best

Michael
Already set up - To me using a borrowed deck would only be in an emergency and would require too much work... for me.

If you can do some Zarrows or other shuffles then all looks ultra fair.
I agree, a sloppy false overhand shuffle while chatting is all that's needed. But I might be biased.... ;)
I have my deck always prepared for X-ray.
Mr.Harris, great effect:

I use the Radarama sequence for my 5 cards from upsilon

as an added pro: I can then have a bank of 10 different cards for repeat performances

and the best is the fishing sequence is almost non existent with that setup:
I kind of like the "fishing" questions, I think it builds up to a unbelievable ending.
[quote]
On 2011-03-07 16:08, howie3 wrote:
I kind of like the "fishing" questions, I think it builds up to a unbelievable ending.
[/quote]

There is really only one "no" so not much in the way of fishing - all the rest are yes... but I agree with you. This is a mentalism type of presentation and so the questions are justified and with only one "no" the magician has all they need to know.
Just a tip for those who love X-Ray - or want to love X-Ray since it is one of the coolest hands-off routines ever...

The Phoenix decks work even better than Bikes in my opinion. Why?

The Phoenix decks have a graphical element on the backs that seems to totally camouflage the work far better than Bikes. Those who have this no what I am referring to.

If anyone doesn't have Ben Harris' effect - this is one to grab. It is very powerful. Really good.

The Phoenix Decks are now available at Penguin too:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2581
I just saw a video review of this and think it looks mind-boggling. Has it been published anywhere else (in a larger book or DVD or whatever) since its release, or is the original booklet still the best source?
Buy the original book - a FANTASTIC effect, never before published - buy the PDF download or book. Five stars.
Thanks, Says. I didn't even wait for an answer -- I went ahead and got the .pdf from Lybrary.com. As soon as I learned it was available as a download I could have RIGHT NOW, my inner 12-year-old magician couldn't wait. :D

I think it's genius. The method is diabolically clever, the way it brings two simple principles together into something that seems impossible. It's the sort of thing I never would've thought of because I wouldn't have believed it would work reliably -- but I've already tried the basic method a few times (with myself as spectator), and I had to laugh at how well it works. I can't wait to get my presentation worked out well enough to try it on real people. It should make some heads explode. :lol:
Read the thrtead a bit - there are some helpful tips.

You want to try to control the cards a little before turning around to ask the spectator to cut - showing them by actual example + the idea of abutting the card box like a "T" to the short end of ther cards... Forcing them to cut the long way.

This effect can have an 85- 90% success rate if you learn the little management methods and use them correctly.
I got this, loved it, and made it work a lot of the time.

Then it started to go wrong, and I stopped using it, because I'm too scared to have it fail whilst I'm out performing.
With proper management this is nothing to be afraid of - but I understand what you mean SmithMagicMan. I wouldn't be spooked as if you accept that this is an 85-90% success rate and explain in advance that this is an experiment rather than a trick... then the payoff is worth it for me anyway.

With poor audience management the spectator may:

1) Cut the wrong side/end

2) Look at the wrong card (look at the bottom of the cut-to stack card rather than the bottom card)

3) Cut to a card and flip through some extras to another card

There is always a chance that when one's back is turned that things can go wrong or the spectator won't listen to your instructions.

This effect REALLY depends on relaxed but firm advance directions (demonstrating exactly what you want) and taking nothing for granted in terms of slowly explaining to the spectator what you want them to do.

I generally have the spec cut while my back is turned - look at the bottom card - then put the card back FACE DOWN (not up) which for me creates more tension for the final reveal.

When done correctly this is one of the best and most unexplainable effects you will likely perform and people love it.
[quote]
On 2012-02-21 13:35, SmithMagicMan wrote:
I got this, loved it, and made it work a lot of the time.

Then it started to go wrong, and I stopped using it, because I'm too scared to have it fail whilst I'm out performing.
[/quote]

The cards also need to be refreshed from time to time - I always do a refresh before a performance.
I've been working with this for a few days now, and I think I'm just about ready to try it on a friendly audience. :D

I'm interested in potential outs, though, in the unlikely event I need one. I'm particularly intrigued by the earlier suggestion that Kolossal Killer can be used as an out, and I'm thinking of buying Knepper's book. I have a couple of questions, though: Those who have used KK and X-Ray -- what's your opinion of having KK ready as an out? And would you need a special wallet to use KK as an out for X-Ray, or could you just use the methods described in Knepper's book, without any special wallet?

Thanks!

On another note: The cleverness of the second major part of X-Ray's method has really piqued my interest in mentalism. I think I may have to study some of that soon. :D
[quote]
...and I stopped using it, because I'm too scared to have it fail whilst I'm out performing.
[/quote]
[quote]I'm interested in potential outs, though, in the unlikely event I need one. I'm particularly intrigued by the earlier suggestion that Kolossal Killer
[/quote]
Although I might be biased (still love and work with my solution unabatedly), I would not opt for KK as the best out. The reason is that you suddenly bring something else in play, which was not there before, had not been announced and has no direct connection to what you were showing.
Why the wallet?
What's the use of a prediction anyway which has not been mentioned beforehand?

For me personally, all this feels kind of unorganic (since X-Ray is so very much organic itself!) and has too much the flavor of an 'out'...
Thanks, Nicolino. Yeah, I can see how KK as an out would have the same drawbacks you mentioned for ID as an out in the book (introducing another prop and turning clairvoyance into a prediction). Your own out, included in the book, is an intriguing solution. Maybe I need to find a copy of the book you recommended and study the...mentioned thing. :D
FrenchDrop, I strongly suggest that, too. And by far not only for the given application here!!! Just check out some threads about it and quickly you'll see its potential!
Feel free to PM for further information!

Best,
Felix
My son showed me this routine and I was shocked! ;)
Thanks again! I did shoot a couple of questions your way.
Reply sent, Dan! :)
Truthteller... Er... Brad Henderson just shredded X-Ray in his review for the latest Magic Magazine on page 72.

"The manuscript which explains everything is awfully verbose," claims Mr. Pot calling the kettle black from the guy that used to write what felt like multi-page responses to simple questions.

This came out like over a year ago...not exactly a timely review either. Better late than never?

Most will get a lot more quality info on the Cafť rather than on Brad's latest rant/review.
No kidding?
Unbelievable that such a superb piece got shreddered... :no:
[quote]
On 2012-02-24 11:28, Nicolino wrote:
No kidding?
Unbelievable that such a superb piece got shreddered... :no:
[/quote]

Felix - serious as a heart attack :)

He ended by pretty much saying something like "great trick to fool your magician pals - if they don't know the method."

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even when they are wrong.
Is that the worst thing he said about it -- that the book is verbose? Geez.
No - read it yourself.

If I try to quote more then the whole post will get removed.

It was a driveling rant.
If it's in the February Magic, I'll read it soon; I wanna get that issue for the Bannon material.
X-Ray is a MASTERPIECE.
Saysold,

Had to come find this thread to understand what Henderson's letter in Magic this month meant.

Was that comment pointed at you?

Were you part of the creative team on this? The big battle is confusing
I'm not what you mean? Big battle?

X-Ray is a masterpiece as J Praeger said.

There was a review recently in Magic Mag by reviewer Brad Henderson - it was a (generally) negative review. I thought he was (as he usually is) off the mark.

No biggee really.

I'm not part of any creative team - just a magic fan and hobbiest.
I just dusted this off again and performed it twice yesterday - so good!!!!

Once again, my highest recommendation and excellent results if you use decent spectator management and make sure the deck is "freshly prepped" before perfmance.

This effect is so hands off and appears so impossible that it is just lovely.

Enough gushing.