(Close Window)
Topic: Metal by Eric Jones
I recently received an early copy of Metal by Eric Jones from Jason over at E. Since it doesnít come out for another week or so, I thought Iíd share some early thoughts.

Eric is rapidly becoming known as a powerful force in the magic world, with great skill in both coin and card magic. Iíve been aware of Ericís work for several years, and heís also an active and helpful member on the Cafť. I recently had the pleasure of meeting Eric a few times, at his lecture in NY, and at the annual Coin Seminar gathering in PA.

Metal is an interesting project, as itís not a single-trick release, nor a collection of original effects. Itís essentially designed to provide beginners with the core building blocks of coin magic, so that they can master the basics and move forward from there.

Thereís a ton of great material out there that already exists for teaching the basics, such as Boboís Modern Coin Magic, and a slew of tapes and DVDs by David Roth and others.

The first half of the DVD focuses on core sleights and moves, with a few more difficult/advanced moves as well. It covers a number of palms and concealments, productions, vanishes, and utility moves. There are a lot of individual sleights including finger palm, classic palm, JW Grip, Ramsay Subtlety, etc. Thereís also a quick section on basic sleeving techniques. This section is all done in-studio. Production value here is excellent. There are 3 different camera angles (including directly overhead), so you always have the best view of how a move is done. Ericís teaching is thorough and methodical, but not labored or boring. Crediting is excellent throughout.

The DVD then moves into a handful of full routines, including a 4-coin coins across, a quick and simple 3-fly, a quarter/penny transpo, a coin vanish using a classic ditch from Bobo, and then the ďJones SpellboundĒ which has some nice switches and changes. All of the routines are within that beginner/intermediate range. The quarter/penny transpo and full coin vanish can be done within minutes of viewing, even for a rank beginner. The other routines will require a bit more practice and dedication.

The final section is on coin flourishes, none of which are at the easy or beginner level. Eric teaches the 4-coin roll down, 5-coin star, and an arm roll, where the coin rolls down the arm, pops off the elbow, and lands back in the hand. These are cool flourishes, but Iím surprised Eric didnít include a more basic flourish, such as an across-the-knucles sort of roll, since the DVD is geared towards beginners.

Throughout the DVD, Eric provides tips on naturalness, misdirection, creating tension, audience management, angles, getting caught, etc. Itís in these bits that he really takes it beyond just teaching the moves and into teaching magic.

Overall, itís a nice and thorough collection, with a runtime right around 2 hours. Thereís a heck of a lot of material crammed in, certainly enough to keep a beginning coin magician busy for months. While thereís not as much here for intermediate or advanced coin magicians, there are some pieces thatíll youíll enjoy. I was familiar with the vast majority of the material on the DVD, but there were some nice tips, alterations, and never-before-published bits thrown in as well. In particular, Ericís variation on the Bobo switch, called the Jones Switch, and his Jones Spellbound, are worth checking out.

Iím a big proponent of learning material from multiple sources/teachers, as I think it creates a well-rounded education. For example, I initially learn most of my card fanning technique from McBrideís videos, and got pretty darn good at it. But when I studied the work of a few other people, there were some other nuances that helped me to improve even more.

So it goes with Metal. Iíd suggest that anyone interested in beginning coin magic get themselves a copy of Boboís book, and check out the wealth of other material that already exists on tape/DVD as well. But donít overlook Metal. It does cover a lot of the same sleights, but you may pick up a tip on Classic Palming that you didnít learn elsewhere, or finally nail that move that you couldnít comprehend in print. Youíll also learn some original routines that arenít published elsewhere.

Itís nice to see Ellusionist behind a DVD of this style, rather than a single-trick release. As they say, you need to learn your scales before you can create a symphony. Same is true for magic, you need to learn your basic sleights, and then you can progress from there. The modern magic market doesnít really emphasize the basics a lot of the time, and I think many beginners get thrown into the deep end sometimes. So if this DVD encourages beginners to start where the should when they otherwise wouldnít consult the classics, then so much the better.

You can tell that Eric put a lot of thought and time into selecting the material, researching the history and credits, and that heís generally passionate about magic, both in technique and in presentation. Heís got incredible chops, and is an excellent teacher.

The only negative thing I could say about the DVD if I had to, would be that I didnít really care for the style of the live performances. I felt the camerawork here was poor. Luckily, the live section only accounts for about 5 minutes of the total 2 hour runtime, so itís not a big issue.

People who are already well-versed in coin magic won't get as much out of this as a total beginner, but there is something for everyone. Definitely recommended for beginners, and recommended for anyone else passionate about coin magic.

Kevin
Eric is an incredibly hard working accomplished magician. His teaching on "Audio" was fantastic. Clear and concise without being repetitive and pedantic.
He is a rising star in magic. I am sure this DVD will be great.
James
Love his stuff, I just wish I knew if this dvd would help me all that much or if it would be a rehash of what I already know/do.
If Eric Jones made it, I'm buying it. No reviews needed.
Eric's a worker and great teacher. I'm sure this is outstanding.
Message: Posted by: Strange Tasting Fish Sticks (Oct 25, 2010 07:00PM)
It is a fantastic DVD and is going to be a staple for most coin magicians...I'm going to write a very comprehensive review later, I've watched it in hand.

It teaches the high finger palm, I just can't seem to do this with a morgan. The coin won't grip. Haha. Even when ponta showed me a couple times, its very difficult to hold the coin in high fingerpalm for me.

Anyway, if I had to give one constructive critism...it would be, some of the sleights and ultilites such as sleeving are explained too quickly. Eric is a great teacher, and does a great job on 99% of the material, not only teaching throughout but also giving credits and tips on each move. I was impressed. I had to re-wind it several times to look at the mutobe palm, because it was explained too fast. The arm roll is a very nice flourish I want to learn too, but I also felt this taught too quickly.
Excellent review Mercury.
Eric is one of the best teachers out there. This will surely be fine addition to his body of work.
Hey guys the trailer for Metal, which is out on November 1st, is here:

http://www.ellusionist.com/metal-dvd-by-eric-jones.html
That DVD is in my wish list... never have so high anticipation in a Coin Magic DVD since Homer Liwag's release in previous years.
I also received a copy and posted some pics of the packaging here: http://www.bestmagicdeals.com/2010/10/metal-dvd-by-eric-jones-and-walking-liberty-half-dollars-contest/

They are giving away 4 sets of 1929 walking liberty halves by the way...
I am gonna order right when it comes out :D. If I don't win..well liberty halves aren't that expensive are they?
How much $$$$$$ is this going to run us... Including the shipping???
Salby the DVD is 34.95 from Ellusionist. Shipping? They don't quote a shipping rate. I imagine it's not much. It's worth it!

Doug
Shipping is usually around 4 bucks at E I believe.
Can't wait for this one to hit the other magic shops. (I donít buy anything from Ellusionist - boned me big time once...)

Anything by Eric is about the closest you will ever come to a sure thing! :)

Thanks!

Jim
[quote]
On 2010-10-27 02:28, J-Mac wrote:
Can't wait for this one to hit the other magic shops. (I donít buy anything from Ellusionist - boned me big time once...)

Thanks!

Jim

[/quote]

The only downside to this Jim, is that you probably won't see this in many magic shops. Ellusionist typically doesn't wholesale to other magic shops from what I understand. The only two places to purchase this, are through me and through Ellusionist.
I know that Fantasma and Tannens here in NYC carry E products. Can't say for other regions.

If Eric is selling the DVD directly though, I'd suggest buying from him.

Kevin
Anytime I have the chance to buy directly from the creator, I do!

MMc
It sounds like as always, Eric has cover all the angles. No pun intended.

Great reviw.
I just caught this trailer, I am ANXIOUSLY awaiting the release! This could quickly become a go-to guide for coin magic right up there with Bobo's
[quote]

Thanks!

Jim
[/quote]

Just thought I would mention that Jason of Ellusionist sent me a PM and is working with me, which is certainly a welcome gesture and I do appreciate his efforts.

My problems there started way back in 2007 and weren't resolved after two years of trying when I gave up altogether. It was difficult to get anyone's attention there - until this week. I give Jason a lot of credit for stepping up.

Thank you.

Jim
[quote]
On 2010-10-27 12:50, Eric Jones wrote:
[quote]

Thanks!

Jim

[/quote]

The only downside to this Jim, is that you probably won't see this in many magic shops. Ellusionist typically doesn't wholesale to other magic shops from what I understand. The only two places to purchase this, are through me and through Ellusionist.
[/quote]

Oh, it will be in more shops than that unless this is a special "exclusive forever" deal, Eric - which I hope you wouldnít do as it would definitely limit sales. Note that Ponta's Sick DVD is now available in many magic shops.

Thanks!

Jim
Metal will be available for worldwide wholesale on Nov 15th. Just contact Jennifer at wholesale[at]ellusionist.com and she'll take care of anything you need or questions that you may have. I'm always an email away as well at jason[at]ellusionist.com

Jim, glad that we got a chance to right our wrong. Thanks for allowing me the opportunity.

Hope everyone has a fun Halloween.
Has anyone had trouble with the download link not working?

Kind regards
Sean
Right click your mouse, prompt box opens. choose Save target as. It will start downloading. I'm not sure if that's your problem, but at first I kept left clicking, until I tried right clicking. I was able to "save target as".
Thanks Dan. Problem solved. My order was listed as pending in the status section on the download page. It's changed to available now and I'm downloading right now. Yipee!!
Any info on the winners for the walkin liberty coins>?

-ALex
The winners have been announced on the E blog. I'd post the names here, but I think it's only fair to jump over there to see the winners.

I didn't win. And, if you are wondering if you won...check out http://blog.ellusionist.com/
Darn! WANTED THEM. hahaha oh well.

-Alex
To save someone else some time:

List of Walking Liberty Coins Winners

1) Rick Neal - Winnipeg, Canada
2) Clay Cantrell - Richland Hills, TX
3) Billy Scott - Virginia Beach, VA
4) Chris Lee - San Gabriel, CA
5) Roman Mizack - Philadelphia, PA
I didn't win either. :(

Even though I knew a lot of the material already going into this dvd, there were lots of bits that I didn't actually have video instruction on, which combined with my books makes for much more powerful learning as well as lots of little bits that I had never heard of.
I must have read the description for the Bluff Vanish a hundred times in Bobos and never actually considered it. Seeing it performed and explained was very eye-opening. I'm putting it into my regular cycle of impromptu tricks. It think it's a great opener.
Two thumbs up for this DVD! Everyone will learn something on this offering. I enjoyed watching his routines and subtleties. There were some slight crediting issues.

The customer service with Ellusionist is exceptional. My DVD had some defective footage but they're sending me another copy ASAP.
I just bought Metal, and watched it for the first time. It's packed with great instruction of the fundamentals which is perfect for someone like me just starting out. Eric's explanations and demonstrations are very clear and concise, and he really conveys the important points of a given technique beautifully. I think this video is an instant classic that anyone with serious intentions of learning or improving their coin magic should own and learn from... especially beginners.

Coming from someone just beginning the journey of becoming a magician, I believe this is a really great era to learn magic with all the available media for one to study. I love books as a key method for the imparting of knowledge, and cherish the classic tomes I have that I am currently learning from, but the availability of high quality videos to augment the books is invaluable to me.

I'm a cinematographer by profession, and I have to say that Metal is a well produced, high quality video which utilizes multiple camera angles and plenty of close ups to show the methods Eric teaches. With a running time just shy of 2 hours, you really get your money's worth. In fact, I'd say more than that, it's actually a bargain, especially considering the quality of instruction and production value it contains compared to many of the video products on the market.

5 out of 5 stars!
I just met Eric this past weekend. Didn't get a chance to see much of his stuff as I was very busy but I have to say that from what I saw I was highly impressed!

He has a smoothness that I so envey in other magicians. I wish I had half of his grace. Cool guy as well. I have no doubt that this dvd is terrific.
Eric:

I don't see Metal listed on your internet site? Is Ellusionist the only option to purchase online?
Jason can you confirm shipping costs of the DVD to the UK?

Regards

Dave
Eric got a bone to pick with you ! what do you think ur doing! come on please please stop doing this to me ! Another gr8 piece of material M8 ,shes already getting divorce papers drawn up I'm never gonna see her now trying to get these moves down ha . Honestly tho iknow a lot of the moves but its praticeing the silky ness of how you do it which is gonna take time . thanks again eric good stuff! ps anyone got a spare room going !ha
As far as DVD projects, there have been some great coin projects. David Roth of course and Mike Ammar's DVD has been a favorite of mine.

Eric's METAL is by far my favorite. His attention to detail and of course his smooth execution of the sleights makes it inspiring to watch and learn from him.

ANOTHER winning Eric Jones project!
I have some of the Eric Jones DVDs and I can asure that they are very good. I'll buy this one too. See you!!!
This DVD is amazing. It's like a streamline hip version of Bobo's. I've been doing coin magic long enough to have developed some bad habits. Watching metal let me see how perfect some simple moves can look and how much more convincing they can be when done right. Watching Eric Jones is like watching a finger Ballerina. Seriously a Ballerina with fingers.
I have complained for years about Ellusionist never using Subtitles/Closed-Captioning on their DVDs for the Hearing Impaired. So I figured I should at least get a discount or winning the Liberty Coins would be a nice gesture :)

Oh well, looks like I will just go ahead and order this DVD and see where it takes me and hope I get something out of it.
Just ordered myself a Christmas present and I hope Santa Clause will have it delivered on time.
Wow, I learned a lot from this DVD, and a lot of good stuff. So, this DVD was well worth the money, and now I look forward to Metal 2 & 3.

Eric Jones is a very good instructor and to my deaf ears I was able to follow what he was saying. Only problem I could think of was that his voice was monotonous throughout the video causing me to fall asleep numerous times, but that is ok because everything he taught is worth reviewing again and again.

Thanks to Eric Jones,
I know I'm late on this one but just ordered the whole set. I agree anything from Eric has already proven to be great workers stuff...hey when you had Woody Landers get you started it can only get better right Eric?? RIP Woody..
I have been in magic for about 13 years now. I haven't worked with coins much. I knew the basic vanishes and sleights but never put them in a routine. After watching the Metal Series I was blown away at how visual ungaffed coin magic can be. I feel Disc 1 is full of so much valuable information it could sell for more. Even knowing most of the vanishes and sleight it was excellent to get someone else's views, handling, and uses for them. I highly recommend the first Disc if you are unsure about the series. Disc 3 however has some very visual routines. I am not a fan of using anything that is gimmicked or gaffed. I always chose sleights of gimmicks. However I am going to order a couple coins just to have them in my arsenal. Great job E.J. on yet another product.