(Close Window)
Topic: Booklet about riffle/faro stacking
Some people are not gonna believe it but... it's finally done! My first booklet, about riffle and faro stacking for Texas Hold'Em, is available. I hope it's the first volume of a long series and I promise it won't take such a long time for the following volumes.

Again, I apologize for the delay but I didn't have everything under control. The story of this first volume would fill 5 pages but, anyway, you don't care about that...

I deeply thank many of you, from the Gambling Spot, for their support and more particularly Jeff who helped me to turn the text into something understandable for not AMcD-English-minded people. Jeff, I'll get you dead drunk one day or another and one way or another.

Initially, I wanted to make it available for the people I know only, about a couple of dozens people interested in such a matter. But some convinced me to be more open minded. I now agree with them; after all, in the past, it's been very often really difficult for me to purchase some booklets because their rarity. How many times I had to give up because prices were amazing or because it was impossible to find a copy? Thus, I'm gonna be more “lavish” with 100 copies (well, about 75 are actually available :)).

Just a few words about the contents. I detail Texas Hold'Em stacking theory, I provide formulas, tables, figures, etc. And many tips (how to bypass the cut, exercices, etc.). Then I go with some faro stacking theory which, as far as I know, appears in print for the first time. Again, many tips are given (crimps, tips about cards, etc.). Tons of references are provided. I'm probably gonna show a lack of modesty but I really think it's a nice addition to the (rare) existing stacking material already available.

It's 67 pages and there are 57 figures.

As a private project, it's not intended to be sold by official bookshops. Please, take a look here if you are interested:

http://www.arnoldmcdonald.org/code/main.php?p=6300000

Thank you.
Cool! Thanks and good luck with the book Arnold. I will get one.
I am very happy for you!
Good job!
I hope I can get my hands on it...

Slim
Please let the rest of us know if you have copies leftover you'd be willing to sell to some of us newer card workers =).
OK. A few additional words...

Many people from the Gambling Spot emailed me and they make me feel like Jack the Ripper now!

Dear friends, I see no reason at all not to sell a booklet to someone, even to people I had severe (?) arguments with in the past. As I write very often, we all are different, coming from different countries and cultures and... I'm someone with a strong character (to say the least) too. But a couple of guys (they won't ask me for a booklet though), I hold something against no one!

As long as you have posted here (or on other forums, like cardshark, school of scoundrels, etc.) and showed some interest about card cheating techniques it's OK with me. That's what I mean when writing "I must know who you are", nothing else. I'm sorry about the people "I don't know" but I don't wanna see my work released on Internet, I'd really enjoy to know you a bit :).

Frankly, I really think that kind of material is of no use for people not seriously interested in such a field. That's why I'd prefer to favor people really passionated with card sharps techniques as I don't intend to print hundreds of copies. Thus:

1 - Contact me thru owner@arnoldmcdonald.org.
2 - Tell me "I'm X from XYZ".
3 - In 99.999% of the cases I say "OK".
4 - Use paypal thru owner@arnoldmcdonald.org and gimme an address where I can send the stuff.
5 - When paypal is OK, I send the booklet.

It's £30+1 for shipping = £31. If you want to track the parcel tell me because it's pretty expensive, UK postal services are crazy! In all honesty, I don't think you need it. I've sent stuff from England all over the world and, so far, no problem at all.

That simple. There is a last point. I manually number the copies. If you don't care about that I just pick one booklet out of the box. If you care about that, tell me which number you'd like. #1 to #10 are already used. If the number is no longer available, well, random one.

PS: Yes, I intend to publish several volumes. The next one will be on the different controls we use in amateur/private games and that Magicians name Stevens', Scarne's, etc. control. As usual, tons of variations, improvements, etc. In the future we (I say "we" because many people help me) plan to release material about beanshooters, N-Strippers, etc. Should be an interesting series in a few years.

Thank for your support.
:)

finally!!!!
You are one of the two guys with 0% chance to get one :).
I'm the other one ! Well, I hope not though.
AMcD, I sent you an email. I hope to have an opportunity to get a copy.
Arnold, I want #13 or # 666 if it gets that high...
[quote]
On 2011-05-13 13:29, AMcD wrote:
You are one of the two guys with 0% chance to get one :).
[/quote]

Who is the other?
Email sent.
And already looking forward to the next ones :)
Lol, popcalinda is one of my best friends in that business, he's the one who's gonna have booklet #1 if you want to know. I was just kidding.

Don't worry about that, those two guys know who they are. They consider me so poorly that they're not gonna ask something out of me though.

Thanks for the nice words many of you have sent to me. I'll answer to everyone. But the best I can say is to follow the procedure detailed above.

@iamslow,

It's OK for #13. If you're not joking it's very nice for me because I thought that no one would pick that number...

I'm gonna tell you something though. I'm really amazed about the importance people put into numbers. Superstition?
I got the booklet yesterday and had a good read-through. I found it very helpful and educational, though I should note that my stacking knowledge was limited beforehand. I've read Steve Forte but I haven't read Fulves/Marlo.

Although you won't learn how to do the table faro, there are plenty of tips on these daunting sleights and references for you to learn them. Of course, the theory and technique you learn can be applied to whatever table faro shuffle you use. This book makes a great addition to say Jason England's excellent video on riffle stacking and deals with correcting mistakes, bypassing the cut, making the shuffles look natural etc. I found especially useful the notes on riffling spacers, and the theory tables and formulae.

I'd recommend this especially to those who are new to riffle stacking, and perhaps unable to get access to the hard-to-find stacking literature already out there. A good addition to the literature, imo.
Thanks for the kind words.

In all honesty I think that 3 Karl Fulves are interesting to read, his "Riffle Shuffle Technique, part III" and "Shuffle Controls, Part I and II". No formulas, not much theory, many pages about overhand stacking (despite the titles) and mainly targeting Magician, but nice exercises, countless ideas to be explored, etc.

There are interesting pages in Marlo's writing too, but, IMHO, I find Fulves more practical.

About the table faro, well, I had to make a decision. At first I wanted to add say 7-8 pages on my two favorite variants. But after a while I thought it was pointless. Ed Marlo's RCT, Martin Nash, etc. There is a plenty of very good material already available. What's the point to bring (almost) nothing new? Besides, let's be fair, the table faro is far to be the daunting technique many people think it is. Lastly, if I had to teach the table faro, I think a video would be more appropriate.

Again, thanks for leaving some comments.
Well, I for one am always looking for more pointers on the table faro. I'm currently working on Nash's technique, but I never could get the hang of doing it the way Marlo or Turner describe it, and the instruction in Expert Card Technique is next to useless. So if you ever do decide to do a video, you'll have at least one interested viewer.
Deal. Will be "The Legacy, #3". Gimme just a few day, I'm pretty busy at the moment.
[quote]
On 2011-05-18 11:50, jfquackenbush wrote:
Well, I for one am always looking for more pointers on the table faro. I'm currently working on Nash's technique, but I never could get the hang of doing it the way Marlo or Turner describe it, and the instruction in Expert Card Technique is next to useless. So if you ever do decide to do a video, you'll have at least one interested viewer.
[/quote]

Which Marlo technique gives you trouble?

Have you read the description from Racherbaumer's [i]Kabbala[/i]?
I heard that Frank Thompson had nice faro technique but Frank material is underground and hard to get. Maybe you bblumen from Baltimore know more about Thompsons technique? :)
[quote]
On 2011-05-18 14:49, popcalinda wrote:
I heard that Frank Thompson had nice faro technique but Frank material is underground and hard to get. Maybe you bblumen from Baltimore know more about Thompsons technique? :)
[/quote]

While I witnessed Frank's miracles in the back room of Phil Thomas' Yogi Magic Mart, I didn't [b]see[/b] any differences between his techniques and Marlo's. He never discussed this in my presence.

Maybe one day Peter Galinskas, Frank's top student and mentor to Aaron Fisher, will tip some information. (Don't hold your breath for this.)
The one I have trouble with is either in the cardician or revolutionary card technique. I'm not sure off hand because I haven't looked at it in a good long while after I gave up. I'll go digging for Kabbala next time I'm buying magic books. I recently spent a load of cash on some stuff for a glim design I'm working on though, so it's not likely that'll happen any time soon.
Arnold, I want #13, but I need to fix my paypal account first... it has been frozen by paypal, because I'm using a cell # and I need a land line to get it back up and running.... anyone else have this problem? If you have to sell it, go ahead, as I don't know how long this will take... thanks

j
No, don't worry, I'll keep it for you.

Note for all my purchasers:

Dear friends, I really thank you for the kind words you sent to me privately but could you write here your comments about the booklet? I fully understand that some just wanna stay anonymous but, if possible, leave your comments, good or bad (so far everyone is glad, but it may happen) in that thread? The purpose is merely to be helpful to other people who may want to purchase it.

Again, deep thanks. I didn't know I has that many fans. Well, it's gonna make things easier for the next volumes...
[quote]
On 2011-05-18 17:36, jfquackenbush wrote:
The one I have trouble with is either in the cardician or revolutionary card technique. I'm not sure off hand because I haven't looked at it in a good long while after I gave up. I'll go digging for Kabbala next time I'm buying magic books. I recently spent a load of cash on some stuff for a glim design I'm working on though, so it's not likely that'll happen any time soon.
[/quote]

I have sent you a PM...
A quick review of the booklet:

First of, the booklet arrived 2 days after my purchase, so shipping was fast (I live in England).
Then, the booklet is clearly illustrated with clear drawings, diagrams and tables that provides an excellent reference for the riffle stacking formula Arnold talks about.
It does really feel like a "new" publication and it's not an obscure draft that was published. In fact, it's probably clearer than most magic books, and probably the clearest book on riffle shuffle work, although the amount of information can make the almost-scientific approach scary at first glance.
Arnold emphasize the utilisation of the faro shuffle to simplify the riffle stacking, so you really should be familiar with the tabled technique, or be ready to spend the extra bucks to learn it in the reference he gives at then end. A good second is also something you will want to work on after reading the booklet.
The crediting is second to none. Finally, even though the booklet is spiral-bound, the booklet looks nice.
One negative point though: as I said before, the booklet emphasize the use of the faro shuffle to speed up the stacking, and I still doubt a tabled faro could pass in a "real" game and fear that it's a clear "tell" that can get you into trouble. But, I have no knowledge of "real" games, so I'd love to stand corrected by a working mechanic.

Sorry for the lack of structure in the review though, I'm not used to do some and only did because I think Arnold deserve recognition (and sales) for his booklet. As I told him, I'm looking forward to the next ones!
Thanks Kirjava.

Allow me to clear up several points.

1 - It's metal winding. More classy than usual plastic ones :) (and far more expensive!).

2 - Don't be afraid of the table faro. It's really easier than you may think. I've used it in true games and, in my context, no one has ever noticed it. I can also tell you that some people do table faros looking exactly the same than ordinary riffles, you can't see a difference. Don't forget to make your riffle look like your table faro, not the opposite.

3 - I provide solutions in case you don't or can't second deal and don't forget you don't always need one.

Lastly, I'll release a video about table faro pretty soon. I promised it. I'll show 4 or 5 variants and you will see that it's not difficult at all (in the context we are talking about, of course)

Thanks for your review man!

You guys are very kind.
For people who doubt that the table faro will pass in legit games, I've done lopsided sloppy ones a bunch of times sitting at tables with serious card players. it was part of a series of meaningless moves, bottoms without controlling bottom stock, seconds without knowing the top card, throwing a blind shuffle or cut into the middle of a legitimate shuffling sequence I was doing once upon a time just to see if I could pass them and to prove to myself I had the balls to try it. When I play cards I play legit because I don't often play for big money and it's more fun for me to try to win on pure strategy, but there really is nothing like the thrill of dealing someone a full stud hand off the bottom of the deck undetected even if you don't know what cards you're going to give them. that said, I've used table faros, my crappy ugly imperfect version at that, at tables with some seriously paranoid players and it flew by fine.
Just received the booklet - and it looks very interesting, to say the least...
Well, some additional words.

There are 4 people who contacted me during the week but despite all my efforts I can't answer their emails: mail delivery system, messaging error, etc.

I suggest you check your email system/box, etc. I answer every email, even if sometimes I show some delay. Thus, if you have no answer from me, please consider being one of those 4 people.

Thanks.
Hi.

I forgot to mention it but, obviously, when purchasing that booklet you have an access to the videos! Just gimme a username and a password with your mail and I'll create an account.

I'll also release some videos directly related to that series soon.

Thanks for the support.

PS: I don't really understand why some people congratulate me privately but don't make their comments public here but anyway, I appreciate guys!
I haven't seen the booklet yet, but I can say that tabled faro work is absolutely viable in "real" games.

A friend of mine is nothing short of famous (within a select circle of people) for being able to do this and I know for a fact he's done it with world-class players sitting at the table.

It's not easy, but it will fly.

Jason
Just got the book and gave it a first read through. This is really fantastic work, and it's given me a lot to play with. The algorithm analytical approach is fantastic and something sorely lacking in literature of this kind. I look forward to the rest of the series.
I recieved the booklet yesterday and it was well worth the money
I love the almost scientific approach
I especially liked your way of bypassing the cut(Infact Im practising this right now :) )
can't wait for the next volumes
I got mine yesterday and it is great! Can't wait to really dive into it. Well done Arnold!
And am looking foward to the videos.

Paul
You guys are very kind.

Thanks!

Volume 2 in 2011 (august-september), and if you are lucky maybe Volume 3...
Yes Arnold, really great work! Can't wait to read Vol 2,3....n :)
Volume II will be on the double lift, 200 pages.
Volume III on the triple lift, 300 pages.
Volume IV on the Charlier cut, probably around 500 pages.
Volume V, well, I don't really know at the moment, maybe about the 5th deal.
And Volume VI on how to "milk" valued customers... 145 GBP, 2 pages! ;)
You were not supposed to unveil the content of volume VI!!!
Vol IX - how to pick up chicks with hand mucking
I was really hoping for the REAL work on the charlier cut to be tipped in my lifetime. you've got me drooling now. If you're open to suggestions, I'd love to see booklets on the Svengali deck and the thumb fan as I understand both have many applications in real games...
[quote]
On 2011-05-27 17:15, AMcD wrote:
You were not supposed to unveil the content of volume VI!!!
[/quote]

Oooops. I think now I've broken our contract!
The Svengali deck, lol. Excellent!

@popcalinda,

You mean checks or chips? Hand mucking a girl is not an easy sleight of hand :).
[quote]
On 2011-05-28 03:20, jfquackenbush wrote:
I was really hoping for the [b]REAL work on the charlier cut[/b] to be tipped in my lifetime. you've got me drooling now. If you're open to suggestions, I'd love to see booklets on the Svengali deck and the thumb fan as I understand both have many applications in real games...
[/quote]

I realize that this post is tongue in cheek, but the real work on the Charlier has been tipped.

See, Marlo's [b]On the Charlier Pass[/b] in Jon Racherbaumer's bound version of [i]The Hierophant[/i], pgs. 26-29.
Tipped? Are you kidding? Wesley James has a YouTube tutorial on the Charlier, so now every kid in the world knows how to do the move even better than De'vo.
[quote]
On 2011-05-28 17:26, stoneunhinged wrote:
Tipped? Are you kidding? Wesley James has a YouTube tutorial on the Charlier, so now every kid in the world knows how to do the move even better than De'vo.
[/quote]

Link?
Jeff is kidding, but he's true:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0nSH96GQA8

Can we go back to the booklet please :).
[quote]
On 2011-05-28 18:05, AMcD wrote:
Jeff is kidding, but he's true:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0nSH96GQA8

:-(
[/quote]

I saw that idiotic video, but what has that to do with Wes James?

The source I referenced demonstrates actual technique for Charlier disguises.

Am I missing the joke?

NVM, after further review, I think I get it.
The joke?

That guy released a multi-DVD series about Erdnase's EATCT and has trouble to perform a decent Charlier cut (it's him performing in the video).

You still don't get it (the joke)?
About the booklet, and not meaning to stir up trouble because I understand there are differences of opinion on this point, but you discourage shifts or passes at the table to beat the cut. The methods you mention though don't apply to situations where the person to the dealer's right has a right to cut the deck, and that person isn't a confederate. I'm curious what your recommendation is in that situation if you reject shifts or hops to restore the stack.
I'd say that in 90% of the games I've played, a shift would have been difficult to do or would have caused me severe troubles. Just to illustrate, for the last 10 years, I haven't played a game without a cut card or involving 3 people in the shuffling/dealing procedure (and games with a permanent dealer only, of course).

To me, such a move requires some conditions, some favorable "context". I don't and won't say it's not possible. Far from it. I've done some partial shifts myself in the past (when bottom deal was possible) but I've never felt very safe (and it was always very permissive contexts)... Cheating is mainly a matter of context and opportunities, nothing is cast in stone. But for shifts you need misdirection, you need some "light" procedures.

The most impossible move for me is a hop! I've never played a game where any of the hops I've seen/read would have been possible. Unless the guys were dead drunk.

If you don't have a partner, one of the best tool is to rely on a crimp, a breather or any brief. The percentage of hitting a crimp is very high, even if the guy cutting the deck has no idea at all about what a crimp is.

But you know, the best way to cheat stacking cards is when you are permanent dealer or have 1/2 confederate(s) around the table. Cheating single is more difficult.
Mutants like Richard Turner aside, I tend to agree with you about the hop. The best I've seen is Turner's version of the hop that Vernon demonstrated in the Revelations videos, and even that looks hinky to me. That said, I know a few partial shifts for bottom deals that I'm fond of, but are built for bottom dealing. As much as I like Doc's pass, Steve Youell's Mongrel Pass and the Thompson tilt pass, I'm never quite satisfied that any of them llook like you haven't done a move at all, which ideally is what happens with a really good hop. Granted, I don't know that such a hop exists, but I've always thought of that as being more of a holy grail than a good pass.
[quote]
On 2011-05-28 23:26, jfquackenbush wrote:
[snip]... [b]Thompson tilt pass[/b], I'm never quite satisfied that any of them llook like you haven't done a move at all, which ideally is what happens with a really good hop. Granted, I don't know that such a hop exists, but I've always thought of that as being more of a holy grail than a good pass.
[/quote]

It is unfortunate that you didn't have the opportunity to witness Frank Thompson executing his pass. If afforded that experience, I am sure your thought would change.

While Doc has made an admirable effort (and kudos for crediting the move, Doc) there is no one that I have seen that possesses the same degree of Frank's mastery of this move. I have been practicing this technique for forty years, and I still fall very short of the skill necessary to perform this that would muster acceptance in a game.

Peter Galinskas, if you are lurking, please post!
Talking about Frank T. is is pity that there is so little about his master card work published. I would like to see some of his students post more about him. For years, I am trying to get hold of Frank Thompson notebooks on his card work. His tilt pass is great move. Is there any unpublished video of FT performing his moves???
[quote]
On 2011-05-29 16:44, popcalinda wrote:
Talking about Frank T. is is pity that there is so little about his master card work published. I would like to see some of his students post more about him. For years, I am trying to get hold of Frank Thompson notebooks on his card work. His tilt pass is great move. Is there any unpublished video of FT performing his moves???
[/quote]
I have his personal notes that were never released to the public. Its all hand written. Some good stuff there
I really would have loved to see Frank work. I've been doing bits of his Cold Deck routine for years and I'm always excited when I stumble across tidbits about him and his work. By far my favorite ace production and truly a clever stack. Mastering the thompson pass/infinity pass is on my list of things I work on a lot. After a good long while, it's starting to look flyable in a pseudo poker demo, but at the table the only think I have that passes any muster at all is the Mexican Joe shift I learned from the vernon tapes. Well, that's not entirely true, I can probably do the mongrel pass well enough at a loose game to not arouse suspicion, but as clever as that move is for magic, the grip and action will most likely arouse the paranoid. I know if I saw someone do what it looks like, I'd be suspicious.
I'll post a partial shift I dared to do some time ago.

@blackeagle

FT notes, are you kidding? We're talking seriously here, don't make the fun out of such a serious matter. Thanks.
Blackeagle,

So what do you do out of his private notes?
I recieved the booklet saturday. It's very clear and understandable(table, diagram, drawing, sources, a lot interesting details). Thank you Arnold.
[quote]
On 2011-05-29 17:19, jfquackenbush wrote:
but at the table the only think I have that passes any muster at all is the Mexican Joe shift I learned from the vernon tapes. [/quote]
JF,which Vernon dvd is it that youre reffering to ? Thanks.
[quote]
On 2011-05-29 20:07, AMcD wrote:
I'll post a partial shift I dared to do some time ago.

@blackeagle

FT notes, are you kidding? We're talking seriously here, don't make the fun out of such a serious matter. Thanks.
[/quote]
I am not joking, I have a friend who they were handed too. A somewhat big name magician, and they were given too me.
One more thing, this may be irrelavent however within the booklet on page 27, I have a program that I put up here some time ago that calculates the math. If anyone cares, here it is.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=387613&forum=188
I'm still incredibly leery of downloading a program hosted on megaupload made by an anonymous BB user that has for purpose to do something that everyone should be able to do mentally.

Not to mention that doing this mentally should really be the only way we're concerned about, given that we're unlikely to pull out a laptop during a game to calculate how many cards you need to insert between your targets to get them dealt correctly to 5th base or w/e.
[quote]
On 2011-05-29 16:57, blackeagle wrote:

[snip]

I have his personal notes that were never released to the public. Its all hand written. Some good stuff there
[/quote]

To my knowledge, having known Frank, the only people privy to his records were Peter Galinskas, Denny Haney and his widow. They would be the principals in releasing any material.

Who are you?

Ray Goulet? Paul Connolly?
Splice, I've checked the code, it's clean. Don't waste your time though.
Blackeagle, who was the "big name" that gave you the notes?

Your veracity is in serious doubt now, whoever you are.

I understand if you do not post further in this thread.
@Blackeagle

Don't forget the purpose of the table p. 27. You don't need it when you are a "pro".

About FT notes, you said too much man. We want to know.
The notes are around......rough shape in many instances, but they are circulating....125-150 pages.

Gary Plants
[quote]
On 2011-05-30 19:01, AMcD wrote:
@Blackeagle
[snip]

[b]About FT notes, you said too much man. We want to know.[/b]
[/quote]

Don't hold your breath on this.
[quote]
On 2011-05-30 18:50, bblumen wrote:
Blackeagle, who was the "big name" that gave you the notes?

Your veracity is in serious doubt now, whoever you are.

I understand if you do not post further in this thread.
[/quote]
You listed one of the men who handed them to me.
[quote]
On 2011-05-30 19:01, AMcD wrote:
@Blackeagle

Don't forget the purpose of the table p. 27. You don't need it when you are a "pro".

About FT notes, you said too much man. We want to know.
[/quote]
I completely understand. My program is somewhat useless. I think it would be just as dumb for some to even say its not realistic to pull out a computer in the middle of a poker game because of course that would be dumb. I just did it to do it. Nothing special yet there it is.
:) man, 150 pages of FT work! wow!
Gary wishes they'd circulated a little faster in his case.

Jason
So, every of you guys already have FT notes??? What about C.Miller notes on gambling techniques with cards? Or Artanis?
[quote]
On 2011-05-30 19:28, blackeagle wrote:
[snip]

You listed one of the men who handed them to me.
[/quote]

Which one, so I can verify?
[quote]
On 2011-05-30 19:12, hofzinser wrote:
The notes are around......rough shape in many instances, but they are circulating....125-150 pages.

Gary Plants
[/quote]

There are almost that many pages of Frank's published material...taking in to account [i]The Cold Deck, The Thompson Pass[/i], moves and techniques in [i] The Pallbearers Review, Card Finesse, The Greater Artful Dodges of Eddie Fields[/i], some Marlo and Bannon publications and others.

Are you referring specifically to unpublished material?

If indeed you are referencing unpublished material/notes, circulating where? Electronically or written on paper?

"Rough shape" to be sure, since one would be hard pressed to read Frank's writing.
Blackeagle has a copy? Might as well be in a storage unit somewhere.
Who is FT student called Forrest Flanders?
Guys, can you start another thread on FT notes? Just to keep that thread about the booklet.

Thanks.
[quote]
On 2011-05-30 20:43, AMcD wrote:
Guys, can you start another thread on FT notes? Just to keep that thread about the booklet.

Thanks.
[/quote]

Sometimes threads go this way...
I know. And I'm myself an expert in twisting (unintentionally) the original purpose of threads. No offence taken for this happening here.

I'm just afraid this FT business is gonna bring some bad fights and I'd like to avoid that here.
This is all UNPUBLISHED material from Frank Thompson. These were notes that were found in a briefcase after a fire at a magic shop in Maryland.

The Charlie Miller notes and Bill Woodfield Gambling notes have been around for a long time.
Gary,

are you talking about Charlie Miller notes by Csuri or what?
Arrived yesterday, and after a quick read, I'm sure that buying a good booklet
Popcalinda,

Yes, the Csuri notes on Miller. More interesting was a set Csuri also did on Bill Woodfield that was heavy on Charlie Miller items.
[quote]
On 2011-05-30 06:57, Tony45 wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-05-29 17:19, jfquackenbush wrote:
but at the table the only think I have that passes any muster at all is the Mexican Joe shift I learned from the vernon tapes. [/quote]
JF,which Vernon dvd is it that youre reffering to ? Thanks.
[/quote]

I want to say it's volume 12 of the revelations dvd's with Gary Ouellette, Michael Ammar, and Steve Freeman. Unforch, I can't check because the dvds are in my apartment in Tucson and I won't be back there until late August. If I remember correctly tho, it's the same volume where he tells the story about Allen Kennedy teaching him to deal centers, which might be easier to track down from the TOC on the back of the DVDs.
I received the booklet a week ago and a chance to read it carefully.

First of all, the booklet as a nice general appeal and it is hand numbered witch makes it somewhat unique and special. The book as a lot of reference and suggestions for further reading and that is, to me, an added bonus.

As for the content, it is a step by step and clear reading. After an overall read, I started with the basic riffle stacking principles because, one has to walk before he can run, to cite the author. I started practising from there. The explanations are clear and the illustrations really help the progression. I must say they are one of the strong points of the book. The guide ( with all the definitions), is fastidious on the first read but helps along the way. I really enjoyed the algorithm all through the book, but I did study four years in math.

But, to me, what separates this book form others is all the little details that the author emphasize during the text. You get the feeling he really knows the subject of card hustling. He talks about the cut card. He explains the use of the second deal. He talks about the cut and quality of the cards for table faros. He gives options for the crimp used ( even a small section for it, and a crimp of his own), etc. I would have liked a longer section on crimps, but they are not that complicated to do or maybe there is a booklet on crimps coming in the future…

Finally I really enjoyed the booklet and I am looking forward to the next one.

Slim
Thanks for the kind words slim23!

Actually, so far, everyone has enjoyed this first booklet (well, 3 people haven't sent their feedback). I was a bit worried some won't like the way I wrote it. In fact, I wrote it the way I would have appreciated to read one booklet on riffle stacking. Apparently, everyone feel comfortable with it. I'm surprised and not only glad, but proud this work pleases everyone.

I had to make choices, otherwise it would have been a 350 big booklet. Too big, too boring. That's why I decided to focus on the most important and relevant points. You're right, I should have added more sections about crimps, breathers, plastic cards, etc. I think the one provided is very good though :). The booklet is also targeting Magicians and I did my best to get some "balance", to obtain that everyone may find interesting material to grab.

The next one is not started. I'm still collecting material and working on the content. I'm pretty slow. Many people help me though, I have a photographer, an illustrator, a bunch of very proficient people about books, videos, Magic, history, etc. And an excellent proofreader (I fired one and I think I have found the next one amongst the dozen guys who wrote me for that purpose). Not to mention Jeff, the perfect guy for my off English. But I write alone, and it's a slow process. I know now that more and more people will help me in the future, that's why I behave gently here now (hey, I'm kidding boys). Some people even begin to consider giving me their own material for further volumes... Isn't it great? Me, I like to do that, and you, you gonna get new material.

In a few years we should have a nice series. Thanks to many of you. Again, thank you guys.

Normally, I say normally, the next volume should about controls I have used or seen around my tables. Plus many I've been shown/taught and I have adapted or made several variants out of it. Should be about stuff ranging from Stevens' control to shifts I've demonstrated here (or elsewhere) during the last years. A thick volume :).

The third one will be on N-Strippers (NS). I made a promise to a close friend, many people write me about NS every month and there is almost nothing about it (even if you spend thousands on underground booklets or Magicians private material, you won't get that much material about NS!). Thus, I'll do it (until then, maybe other NS experts would have joined me).

From 2012, it should be about very funny stuff. Cold decks, BS, etc. We'll see.

Anyway, thanks for your support. All of you!

PS: just 25 left...
I'll post my 2 cents as well.

Appearance - Looks great, good quality paper and binding - Much better than some other booklets and manuscripts I've picked up.

I'm glad you added a terms and conventions page - defiinately made the booklet easier to follow and was a good quick reference guide. I'm not actually part of the 'scene' so it clarified a few things for me.

.. Just reading slim23's review.. I couldn't agree more with everything he wrote. The illustrations are great. Very professional in apprearence and easy to follow.

One of the best things about this booklet is the detail put into the footnotes and references.

Overall, was it worth the money? In my opinion - Yes it was.

Ed
Absolutely it was worth the money!
Riffle stacking is for some god forsaken reason an Achilles heal of mine and this book elucidated me in the subject in a so much clearer and well described way that I am actually starting to have it fall into place for me now.
I am putting in a standing order for anything Arnold prints.
The diagrams, explanations and citations are flawless.
I have a library of gambling and cardsharping books and videos that is well over 200 items and this is the first time I have read a tome which assimilates and clarifies the subject of Riffle/Faro stacking for me.
Easily worth twice the price.
Brilliant work Arnold.
Thanks. I really appreciate you "dare" writing your reviews publicly.

I hope to start #2 soon...
One more to sing the praises of this first volume !

Your impressive attention to detail makes the reading (as well as the study) of the content more than very pleasant.

Moreover, esthetically speaking, I bow to Mrs Wyatt. I particularly like the light relief of the front page logo.

Also, thank you very much to have a thought for magicians...because only a few of us here (I mean...in my country) "moraly" need to be credible during a gambling demonstration, and we feel alone :)

"The man in grey"
No problem Arnold. Brilliant work deserves praise.

BTW. I may have had a little Scotch last night. LOL
I used to think that riffle/faro stacking books were hopeless.

Until I received this one.

Wow, wow, wow.

I will post a longer review in due course.

For now, suffice to say that this is as close to perfect as one could hope for:

The writing is clear;

the illustrations are exceptionally helpful;

the methodologies are brought into sharp focus;

the high-quality spiral bindery makes it a genuine practice manual;

the page size is brilliant – so easy to place on your card table…

…I hope I have the opportunity to purchase each successive publication.

Mr. McDonald, Sir – you have done this community a great service!
Thanks all.

About the quality, I really wanted something easy to handle while reading it. You have no idea how mad I become when trying to follow the instructions of a book that you can't keep flat on the table! You fight with the pages, you put some weight in the middle of the book... And you damage the book. Not to mention the horrible plastic binding usually used with booklets tearing off pages when you turn them...

@J.CADEAC

I think that only 3 people on earth understand the meaning of "the man in grey", hahaha.
[quote]
On 2011-06-09 16:03, AMcD wrote:
Thanks all.

About the quality, I really wanted something easy to handle while reading it. You have no idea how mad I become when trying to follow the instructions of a book that you can't keep flat on the table! You fight with the pages, you put some weight in the middle of the book... And you damage the book. Not to mention the horrible plastic binding usually used with booklets tearing off pages when you turn them...
[/quote]

You definitely succeeded in achieving practical and durable production values.
This seems like highly impressive work. I feel however, that I'm probably not ready for a booklet like this yet. I need to work harder at my faro and riffle stacking. Nevertheless, I enjoy reading about such techniques.

Congratulations,

Zac
I have a question about the traditionally cut cards. On page 59, you write : " In the past, blades went FROM THE BACKS TO THE FACES....cards cut like this are said to be traditionally cut.

On Richard Turner's website (gold seal bicycle cards review), Jason England write : " ...their better cards have been non-traditionally cut, a process by which the blades go through the back of the card first."
And : " ...a deck that has been traditionally cut (where the blade enters the face of the card first)."

Is it me ? Am I tired ? ;)

So...If I've properly read, who's right ?

Besides this, I spend delightful moments in studying your essay, and rediscovering some nice pieces in some books you mentioned

Jérôme
Everything I've been told and read says that for traditionally cut cards, the blades go from the face to the back. Quoting Bret Maverick from a 3 year-old thread on here:

[quote]As reflected in the advertisement for the Bee cards posted on Mr. Turner’s web site, face-down sheets of USPCC playing cards had, for more than one hundred years, been punched upwards through the face-down sheets of cards (and not “guillotined” from the top down as I’ve read in other threads). Reversing the sheets and cutting them face-up, as Jason explained above, allows workers to visually note the code printed on each Ace of Spades as the cards are cut, facilitating the tracking of each series printed. However, reversing the sheets and, therefore , reversing the direction of the cutters, produces playing cards with sharp edges on the faces, and rounded edges on the backs, much to the card man’s dismay. [/quote]
J.CADEAC,

Your post above makes it look like I made a mistake. In fact, you even had me fooled for a second there. But what I said (and what Bret said) was correct:

Traditionally cut - the blades move from face to back. The rounded edge is on the face (where you want it).

Non-traditionally cut - the blades move from back to face. The rounded edge is on the backs and the sharp edge is on the face (where you don't want it).

For almost 100 years, the USPCC cut the cards from face to back (the right way).

Then, in the 1980s, they switched to cutting from back to face (to enable the printers to read the bar codes). They did this with most of the cards, even some of the premium brands.

When Richard Turner discovered this in the 1980s, he wrote Bicycle and asked them to switch back to the old (traditional) manner of cutting the cards.

The term "traditionally cut" stuck and has been used ever since.

Jason
Hi.

Actually, I spoke several years ago with a guy who worked for the French card company Grimaud. Here's what I learned.

A face up cut, from the face of the card to the back of the card, allows visual checking of the serial numbers (usually put on one Ace). It's called non traditionally cut because from the back to the face (face down cut) was the old way to cut cards (hence the name "traditionally cut").

There's the possibility I misunderstood something, for instance, the blade still goes always the same way, it's the sheet that has been turned, not the blade? In such a case, if someone very knowledgeable about that can confirm...

If I did a mistake, I deeply apologize.
Hello Mr. England.

Thanks for this clarification. And I'm sincerely embarrassed if you saw my post as one which imply that you made a mistake. I've reread it and I can't see where I favoured Arnold.
In my mind, It was 50/50, and in any case I was sure that whoever was wrong, it could only be an oversight (mistake) ;)

Jérôme
Arnold ! ça y'est ! tu viens de m'embrouiller !!! :)

Translation : I'm jumbled !!! face up card, turn the sheet...no...the blade...face down... :)

Jérôme
[quote]
On 2011-06-10 16:37, AMcD wrote:
A face up cut, from the face of the card to the back of the card, allows visual checking of the serial numbers (usually put on one Ace). It's called non traditionally cut because from the back to the face (face down cut) was the old way to cut cards (hence the name "traditionally cut").
[/quote]

As Bret Maverick said:

[quote]USPCC playing cards had, for more than one hundred years, been [b]punched upwards through the face-down sheets of cards (and not “guillotined” from the top down as I’ve read in other threads).[/b][/quote]

A blade punching upwards with the cards face-up (the new orientation for visual inspection of ink and codes) means the sharp edge is at the face of the card and the rounded edge at the back.

A traditionally cut deck would either be guillotined from the top down with the cards face-up, or else punched upwards with the cards face-down. I'm not sure either way, but I imagine that the Turner decks are being punched upwards with the cards face-down instead of face-up. It seems unlikely that new machinery would be commissioned to produce these special cards.
Fact is, I asked a couple of guys, I have a couple of different answers...

I'd like to have something very reliable.

Look here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlVSyhg8g3s

Cards are cut from back to the face (how do they check the serial number then?). Which implies in the past it was the opposite. Me too, after reading Maverick post, I'm confused now. Or were French traditionally cut cards different from US ones?
Arnold, there's nothing in that video that shows cutting going on. We can't tell which way the cards are facing when they meet the blade, nor from where the blade is cutting (above or below).
5'29'' we see how they are cut into strips. But you right, hard to see the blade...

Here's Carta Mundi process, I can tell you they don't faro face down!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDO9oAi6b7M

Looks to me they are face up and cut from top to bottom.

I have contacted 2 cards manufacturers. If they answer, I'll tell you.
We see the strips come out, but we don't see the actual cutting action. They could be coming in face-up and be flipped over during the process.

Either way, if they're cut face down, that either makes all of us wrong, or else that was the traditional process before they changed over.
AMcD,

It makes no sense to talk of "traditionally cut" cards at any factory other than USPCC. When Turner coined the term, he was only speaking of USPCC cards and the "tradition" at USPCC was to cut into the face first (until they changed that).

Who knows what the traditional method of cutting at other factories was? I certainly don't. Richard was only using that terminology at the time to distinguish between old USPCC cutting procedures and the (then) current ones.

Obviously the principle would be the same at other factories, but the terminology would make little sense if applied to a factory where they hadn't "traditionally" cut their cards that way.

I like to use "face first" as a substitute for "traditionally cut" and "back first" as a substitute for non-traditionally cut cards. I think it's clearer from those terms exactly what is going on in the cutting process.

These days, you can get "face first" cuts by asking for them from USPCC, but I believe their standard is still "back first" cutting (non-traditional).

Jason
Jason,

I understand the term was coined by Richard Turner. I use "traditionally cut" because the guy from the French card manufacturer I'm talking above told me that in the past French cards faroed right out of the pack. If he was right that means they changed their "tradition" too, because now, they don't.

But of course I wouldn't use the "traditionally cut" stretch of words if I had to talk in French with someone from Grimaud or Carta Mundi.
AMcD,

Cool. As long as you realize where the term came from. I just didn't want you or others to get confused since you were posting clips from Carta Mundi USA and then talking about French manufacturers but at the same time using "traditionally cut" terminology.

Jason
Exactly 11 copies left boys!

If you are interested, you may hurry a little bit :).
[quote]
On 2011-06-10 21:50, JasonEngland wrote:
AMcD,

Cool. As long as you realize where the term came from. I just didn't want you or others to get confused since you were posting clips from Carta Mundi USA and then talking about French manufacturers but at the same time using "traditionally cut" terminology.

Jason
[/quote]

Thank you for keeping the terms of reference clear.
[quote]
On 2011-05-19 15:25, AMcD wrote:

Lastly, I'll release a video about table faro pretty soon. I promised it. I'll show 4 or 5 variants and you will see that it's not difficult at all (in the context we are talking about, of course)
[/quote]

What time do you think that your DVD about table Faro is finished?
After having seen your skills with table Faro, the DVD must be a good piece of work. It's fantastic. :)
Please put me on your list. Hope it is not long to wait.

-M-
Hi Morten.

Well, I don't know what to do about the table faro lol. Many people ask me for a detailed video/tutorial, but I don't have the time nor the equipment to do something professional. A booklet? Well, it's possible but my feeling is, for such a move, that a video is better than a book. I'm not 100% convinced, because with many figures/drawings you still can teach any move, but a video allows to show many angles faster.

I may rather released a pretty long free video, like "The Legacy, #3. Table Faro". Probably only for the guys who got the 1st booklet.

I'll tell you though, don't worry.
Hi AMcD,

Maybe I misunderstood your post a bit. When I read the "video", I thought the DVD in my head. Lol .. :)
Anyway, a video with your techniques we will be very great I want to believe. After I saw your videos on your website, I realized that you are a master of the table Faro, so simple, so indisputable.
Well, I wait in anticipation and hope there will be a video when you get more time. It is worth waiting for I know.

Thanks,
Morten

PS:You can come to Norway, I have access to a professional photo studio that we can create professional video shoots, no problem. This can not wait. :)
Hi all.

About "traditionally cut cards", here's the answer I just received from USPCC (2 weeks for an answer boys!):

"I am sorry the information you are requesting is considered proprietary and we cannot release that information.".

Note that other companies haven't answered so far. It's gonna be tough to know how they cut their cards...
It's going to be tough as long as you somehow disbelieve that Richard Turner is an expert, has already gathered all that information, made it available to the public, and that it was actually the very origin of the term "traditionally cut".

Redoing all that work is going to be tough for sure, but for myself, what Richard's done and written has satisfied my curiosity.
I once asked Jason if he had any tips on the table faro. His answer was one word: "practice".

I think it's one of those moves that you can read a hundred different descriptions, view dozens of videos, but in the end the foundational aspects of the moves are really learned through endless practice. Different decks, different work surfaces, different alignments, different hand positions, different packet positions, different pressures, and on and on and on, and at some point you notice that certain factors make it happen easier than others.

Maybe I'm wrong though, after all I can't hit a perfect faro even 10% of the time (on the table, in the hands is another, much easier, matter). But I hit it where it counts for what I do with it. Hopefully when I get Arnold's booklet I'll see if what I do makes what he writes about possible or not for me.
?

I disbelieve no one. I'm just trying to get the information by myself. Information given about "traditionally cut" cards is sometimes not very clear. I've seen many footage about card manufacturers, I've also met people who have worked for card manufacturers. The least I can say is that it's contradictory and a bit confusing... I thus try to get more details.

Nothing more.
It's not so contradictory or confusing when you keep in mind what Jason said about Richard dealing only with USPCC and not other card companies and how Richard coined the term "traditionally cut" years ago when he was communicating with USPCC about how and why the USPCC-produced cards started feeling different around that time.

If you try to interpret the term through what was traditionally done at other card plants then you might get confused. But as far as I understand it the USPCC situation is and has been described quite clearly by Richard, Bret Maverick and Jason.
Just drop the expression "traditionally cut"...

What matters is that some cards can be faroed right out of the case. Whether they're coming from USPCC or from whatever card manufacturer you like. What I'd like to know is the way they do that, for any company. Because RT and for USPCC you call that "traditionally cut". So what?

I read Jason's, Brett and RT comments. That doesn't prevent me not to understand everything about the process or getting me confused. Personally, I don't find them very clear.

Anyway, drop it. EOT for me.
Simple enough: whatever side the blade punches through first is rounder than the one it punches through last, and the sharp edge is on the side it's hard to faro. Modern USPCC have the sharp edge on the face, making top-down faros easy, but bottom-up faros hard. A table faro is bottom-up. The older USPCC decks (pre 1980s) were cut the other way around, making bottom-up faros easier as the rounded edge was on the face instead.

I'm pretty sure all of that is right but I'm open to being corrected.
For those not reading The Workers section, I have added an experimental page about Faro on my website:

http://www.arnoldmcdonald.org/code/main.php?p=6400000

It's gonna be <under construction> for several months as I intend about 10-12 tools/calculators. Any comments appreciated though.

It may help some people about some tables in the booklet...
I got my book in the mail a couple days ago.
This is a magnificent piece of a book for anyone thinking stacking, Faro, play or magic with their cards. This is a book I will always be glad that I bought from Arnold.

I spent the evening yesterday and read it from cover to cover. A lot of great reading with great illustrations that are easy to understand. It can not be made easier and better explanations. A perusal gave me a lot of new knowledge. This book, I am sure will give me much good in the future as both the card game and a magician.

I would recommend and pick the last books if you get through Mr. AMcD's needle's eye. :)

Thanks,

-M-
Thanks a lot Morten.

I know you're a big fan of faro so, just keep a look about the page I mention in the message above. It's gonna take some time, but trust me, it's gonna be a page many mathematicians would have dreamed to have in the past :).

About the booklet, well, the future ones, I think I'm gonna keep it that way: limited printing, and more or less only for people who trusted me for the first one. After all, all of you were very kind. I may start #2 in a few days.
[quote]
On 2011-06-23 19:24, AMcD wrote:
Thanks a lot Morten.

I know you're a big fan of faro so, just keep a look about the page I mention in the message above. It's gonna take some time, but trust me, it's gonna be a page many mathematicians would have dreamed to have in the past :).

About the booklet, well, the future ones, I think I'm gonna keep it that way: limited printing, and more or less only for people who trusted me for the first one. After all, all of you were very kind. I may start #2 in a few days.
[/quote]
Sir, all of your materials are very inspired to me. =)

Although I am still waiting for my booklet (thanks for the strike = .='''''''), I keep practicing the riffle stacking drill after I watched on your website. =)
With the practicing drill that I learned from Mr Jason England's tutorial, I now have a great feeling of practicing riffle stacking ;)
(I started to learn music instrument when I was very young, so I feel like I always need a set of drills to practice like music scale =D)

- Arthur
About traditional cut. The uspcc can be a bit misleading about this, or one part of the company does not know much about the other.

When asked on their official facebook page, "what does the term "traditionally cut" mean?", they answered:

"When cards are traditionally cut, it means that they are punched out of the sheet of cards one at a time (also called a die-cut)."
I'd believe the page is manned by PR folks rather than anyone with a real clue, and I'd wager that the term "traditionally cut" is little known outside of a very focused interest group.
The term "traditionally cut" is written on the seal of RT decks. It's also written in many online cards dealers pages. If that term wasn't known or used, why so many people would use it? They may simply say "cards easy to faro". Almost every advertisement for RT decks use it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bee-Playing-Special-Traditional-Richard/dp/B00279B1UK
http://www.magicnevin.com/proddetail.asp?prod=bc00310re&cat=111
http://www.markedcards.org/bicycle-playing-cards-gold-standard--blue-back-by-richard-turner.html

All the Magicians I know (and even some players! but I admit they are not that many lol) understand what a "traditionally cut" deck is.
All the magicians, sure. Thing is, that makes up what, 0.1% of the population? So yeah, a very focused interest group, that's pretty much it.
Of course I want and give good PR to people who make good literature, in the hope that they continue their good work on. Good words are important for the inspiration to those who use their lives and write good books to all of us ..

I would think that most people who read on the MagicCafe / The Gambling Spot, are magicians or players?
This is where the discussion about "traditionally cut" takes place, then we would think that the knowledge percentage is far up to 100% about "traditionally cut", not a 0.1 group as you think in your head. The "population" who do not use the decks for everyday, do actually not know who R. Turner is, or what "traditionally cut" is. However, logically enough this discussion hitting the people who has, and need knowledge about "traditionally cut". Do not try and produce things more difficult than it actually is!

Yes, I also have used "traditionally cut" card long time before I read about it on the Café.
That's great, pointless nitpicking.

My response was in context of a USPCC rep answering a question on facebook. Regardless of how many people HERE know the term, people on facebook generally don't. My imagined ratio referred to the general population, not Café members. My response had a context and ignoring that makes any response to it pointless and meaningless.
Back to the main topic. I received Arnold's booklet last Friday and I was pleasantly surprised. The booklet has high production values, the illustrations are clear and useful. The stacking system that is explained was not new to me, but I don't recall seeing it published before, and certainly not in this detailed way. The system could of course be adapted to other games but the focus is on Texas Hold'em. It is described in a mathematical, algorithmic way which may not be for everyone, but once the concept is understood you can do away with the formulae and work everything out in your head (which is a plus, of course). You could also go by rote memory but I wouldn't recommend that unless you intend to stack for only one particular situation. I have a few minor gripes such as the overuse of ellipses and the non-standard abbreviations and terms for various poker concepts, such as TH'E instead of the more standard NLHE or HE in use today, or the different terms for a dealer that's part of the game and a dealer that isn't instead of using the term "button". These small issues certainly do not detract from understanding and using the system itself, of course. There are a number of valuable tips to be had on the technique of the table faro. All in all, I recommend it to anyone with interest in stacking for hold'em and/or with the table faro.
Thanks for your review Splice.

A few comments if you don't mind:

- I'm sure such a system has never been in print before. I've searched thru thousands references, I read myself hundreds of books, I've talked with collectors and many of my buyers are very knowledgeable. Yet, no one has ever seen something like that printed before. It doesn't mean that someone haven't devised the same principle though! I myself started to work on it a long time ago because I saw a player using sort of a table faro in a game. As a curious guy, I wondered why bother using such a shuffle... I also provide many references showing that the basic concept has been used by some famous cardmen.

- Of course, not everyone has the same memorization capabilities. But it's not very difficult to memorize or learn. Just have a look at the tables and you will notice obvious patterns. Personally, when I started to stack cards for Texas Hold'Em, I used the Fig. 27 guide. Soon, I moved to Fig. 25 formulas, which, after a few hours of play, are very very easy to apply. For the method using the Faro, it's the same level of "difficulty". The dealing scheme just take a few minutes to understand. Personally, as I play more or less always the same tables (I mean the same number of players), I don't make any calculations any more, the numbers are carved in my mind.

- You're right for TH'E. I may have used HE. About the "button", I've rarely heard that word used for the dealer. Here, in UK, or other countries I've played (France, Spain, etc.) we use the word "dealer". I agree, though it may be a local habit. In US Poker shows I very often hear "X was on the button", here we say "X was the dealer". Vocabulary, terms are not always relevant for every country of the world. What is a standard for you in North America may be completely irrelevant in Europe. Just for the sake of illustration, in the past, in France, many people called "Vegas" what you name "Texas Hold'Em"... I tried to be "neutral", to use "standard" terms but don't forget I'm European (as 85% of my buyers are). I'll take more care in the next volume though.

- What do you mean by "overuse of ellipses"? Again, I have my own style or writing, which is very French tagged. It's surely sounds different.

Cordially.
Arnold,

He means that you write "..." too often at the end of sentences.

Also note that at the end of sentences ellipses should be followed by a period, like this: "...."

So this is how a sentence might possibly end in your book...

...when it should in fact end like this....

...or this.

Not that I would notice....

I may have noticed the multiple ellipses because that's something I noticed in my own writing and have been trying to work on. Ellipses are to be used when omitting something in a quote, or sometimes as a pause during a sentence. Nowadays it seems that ellipses are used liberally without regard to their actual function, and this is something I've been sensitized to. An ellipsis' purpose or meaning does not change in French.

I won't argue my point about terminology except to say that I read French forums as well as forums with a lot of participants from Europe, and the term "button" is quite standard in every one of them.
OK Jeff.

I thought he was talking of ellipses as a figure of speech (grammatically speaking).

About the use of "...", well, it's my style of writing, I'm afraid there's not much I can do about that. I removed a plenty of them according to your recommendations though (which implies very often to rewrite the sentence). I think there are 20 left or so, for 74 pages. I agree it's more than in the Times article I'm reading at the moment :).

If the use of 20 ellipses is the worst point of that first volume, I'm pretty happy though.

@Splice

... can be used to mark a pause, to show something is going on. It also can be used when you want the reader to think about a particular point (introduced by the last remark). Of course, when an action is interrupted, you use ... too. Another frequent use is, for instance, when you use two figures separated with a text in between. The first figure ends with ... in its legend because the action continues in the next figure.
[quote]
On 2011-07-14 09:46, AMcD wrote:
It also can be used when you want the reader to think about a particular point (introduced by the last remark).
[/quote]

I used to think similarly, but once it was pointed out to me I could find no support for such a use in any grammatical reference.
@Splice

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Points_de_suspension

- procédé rhétorique laissant la fin de la phrase en sous-entendu ;
- sollicitation de l'imagination du lecteur ;

Unfortunately, I haven't got my "grammar" and "typography" books with me here, but I can tell you it's possible to use ... that way. In French, at least... <- (perfect use of ... here).
Point granted then.
[quote]
On 2011-07-14 08:49, stoneunhinged wrote:
Arnold,

Also note that at the end of sentences ellipses should be [b]followed by a period[/b], like this: "...."

...or this.

[/quote]

Actually, the ellipsis marks should be [b]preceded by the period[/b], like this[b].[/b] . . .
[quote]
On 2011-07-14 11:11, bblumen wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-07-14 08:49, stoneunhinged wrote:
Arnold,

Also note that at the end of sentences ellipses should be [b]followed by a period[/b], like this: "...."

...or this.

[/quote]

Actually, the ellipsis marks should be [b]preceded by the period[/b], like this[b].[/b] . . .
[/quote]

You're just trying to bust my balls.

Here, have a beer:

:stout:
Actually, I was just thinking: this is a gambling forum, let's bet on it.

Now, I understand that there might be different systems. Admittedly, I was thinking [i]The Chicago Manual of Style[/i], because that was what I had to use for my doctoral dissertation and for subsequent publication projects I was associated with.

So, here's the bet: using [i]The Chicago Manual of Style[/i], we'll examine my post again. If I am wrong about the ellipses being followed by a period in the examples above, as actually appear in AMcD's book, rather than a period followed by ellipses as bblumen says is correct, then I will Paypal $50 to him or her.

If I'm right, then he can admit publicly that at least this one time I have proven he is full of doodie. Or kaka. Whatever one wants to call it.

Everyone can be a member of the jury. Just cite references we can all verify.

$50 if I am wrong.

If I'm right, then bblumen is full of SH!T.

But I'd have a drink with him/her any day, because I don't take these things personally. This is the Internet, after all.
From your post, I assume you have a doctorate in some field. I hope it is not English?. . .

[i]Chicago Manual of Style[/i], 13th edition:

"When a sentence ends with a [b]question mark[/b] or an [b]exclamation point[/b] in the original, this mark is retained and three dots added for the ellipsis."

Sorry, I had to do that[b]![/b] . . .

You posted:

[quote]
On 2011-07-14 13:12, stoneunhinged wrote:
[snip]

...the [b]ellipses[/b] being followed by a [b]period[/b] in the examples above, as actually appear in AMcD's book, rather than a [b]period[/b] followed by [b]ellipses[/b], or . . .

[snip]

. . .

Plural? Singular?. . .

And BTW,

[quote]

[snip]

If I'm right, then he can admit publicly that at least this one time I have proven he is full of doodie. Or [b]kaka[/b]. Whatever one wants to call it.

[/quote]

Did you mean, [url=http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=caca]caca?[/url]
Whens the last time any of you guys got high ?
The Chicago manual? Weak. What do shrunk and white have to say-THEY are the law!!!

Good question, Tony.

Can you not use the ellipses as a way to end a sentence, in a questioning or "wondering" way? Such as "We all know that RIchard Turner uses red bees, or so I would think...."?
[quote]
On 2011-07-14 16:42, kcg5 wrote:
The Chicago manual? Weak. What do [b]shrunk[/b] and white have to say-THEY are the law!!!

[/quote]

Do you know how to use capital letters?

And, who is "shrunk"?
Okay, so I put an h where a t belongs, sorry. And, yes, I KNOW HOW TO USE CAPITAL LETTERS, IT WAS SORT OF A JOKE.
It wasn't sort of funny.
I get high on playing around with idiots on Internet forums.

In the examples given above, there are no question marks or exclamation points involved.

Keep Googling, bblumen. I'm not kidding about the fifty bucks. But you'll have to do better than that.

And Kevin, we're throwing down. Stand back or get into the fight. My blood is up. GRRRR!
I don't think AMcD used ellipses as omissions in quotations. Don't all those rules cited above only apply to omissions in quotations? For example, if he's just using it to indicate an unfinished thought, I'm not so sure if he has to use it after the period at all.
Hey Bill Safire, IT WAS FUNNY.
I like that I said it was a minor point that didn't detract from the system presented and that this minor point spawned this overlong discussion on grammar. Tony, we have to be high to find that stuff interesting, at least I am/must be.
Perhaps we are both correct.

From [url=http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/marks/ellipsis.htm]this site[/url]:

"If the omission comes after the end of a sentence, the ellipsis will be placed after the period, making a total of four dots. … See how that works? Notice that there is no space between the period and the last character of the sentence."

However, also in the same entry:

"If words are left off at the end of a sentence, and that is all that is omitted, indicate the omission with ellipsis marks (preceded and followed by a space) and then indicate the end of the sentence with a period … . "

So, I submit that the $50 bucks is safe.

I couldn't accept it anyway, since I don't use Paypal, because of their anti-gun policies.

Brian
Bblumen, the terms were clearly laid out, referring to that site is pointless. You didn't even accept the bet anyway, so this talk of "the $50 bucks [sic] is safe" is stupid beyond measure.
[quote]
On 2011-07-15 11:59, splice wrote:
Bblumen, the terms were clearly laid out, referring to that site is pointless. You didn't even accept the bet anyway, so this talk of "the $50 bucks [sic] is safe" is stupid beyond measure.
[/quote]

O.K.
And splice, why the use of [sic]?

The $ and bucks might be redundant, but when did redundancy become a writing a writing error?

See what I did there? . . .
[quote]
On 2011-07-15 11:59, splice wrote:

[/quote]

And, in addition splice, why is my reference to another source pointless?

See here:

[quote]
[snip]

Everyone can be a member of the jury. [b]Just cite references we can all verify.[/b]
[snip]

[/quote]

Brian
Bblumen, the subtext of all of this is: don't come into a forum and start busting our balls. We'll probably welcome you as one of us...eventually. But don't just enter the fray telling us how wrong we are. Maybe we are indeed wrong. But we are human, so we have our pride.

Your mistake is to enter this forum combatively, when in fact the regulars are cuddly and loving.

You've not given me even the slightest hint that you would like to cuddle, and you apparently own neither a copy of Arnold's book nor the Chicago manual bla bla.

So what are you doing here? I truly do not understand this wierd Internet forum mentality of trolling and flaming. Why bother? Making friends has a certain appeal. Making enemies is...well...hardly something does [i] for fun [/i]... right?

But what do I know? I'm over 25.
I meant "weird", of course. But I am dreadfully tired. I had over 40 oral exams this week.

To get this thread back on topic: Arnold's booklet should not be judged by my editorial contribution. It's his booklet, and it definitely has its place in the literature, and it should be judged by its content and not by this rather ridiculous discussion about whether the first or the last of four dots makes a man's junk bigger.
[quote]
On 2011-07-15 14:44, bblumen wrote:
See what I did there? . . .
[/quote]

Yeah, you shat another turd in a thread that doesn't need it. I'm sure you're proud of it, but we don't give a crap.
[quote]
On 2011-07-15 15:25, stoneunhinged wrote:

To get this thread back on topic: Arnold's booklet should not be judged by my editorial contribution. It's his booklet, and it definitely has its place in the literature, and it should be judged by its content and not by this rather ridiculous discussion about whether the first or the last of four dots makes a man's junk bigger.
[/quote]

Hear hear, and here's to hoping that settles that and we can move on. Maybe even get back on topic.
[quote]
On 2011-07-15 15:03, stoneunhinged wrote:
Bblumen, the subtext of all of this is: don't come into a forum and start busting our balls. We'll probably welcome you as one of us...eventually. But don't just enter the fray telling us how wrong we are. Maybe we are indeed wrong. But we are human, so we have our pride.

Your mistake is to enter this forum combatively, when in fact the regulars are cuddly and loving.

You've not given me even the slightest hint that you would like to cuddle, and you apparently own neither a copy of Arnold's book nor the Chicago manual bla bla.

So what are you doing here? I truly do not understand this wierd Internet forum mentality of trolling and flaming. Why bother? Making friends has a certain appeal. Making enemies is...well...hardly something does [i] for fun [/i]... right?

But what do I know? I'm over 25.
[/quote]

I don't think I have busted anyone's balls without being challenged first. Do a search and see, if you are so inclined.

You might eventually welcome me? Gee, thanks.

I have not seen all cuddles and love here, especially from you and splice.

I have stated earlier in this thread that I am a Marlophile and I don't think Arnold's book would benefit me. To my usage books, they are in a box someplace that my old a$s is not ready to dig out.

What am I doing here? I don't know. What I am not doing here? Trolling and flaming.

I am certainly not looking to make enemies, so you are right, again.

And, I am also over 25, by 29 years.

Come to Baltimore and I'll buy you some beers.

I don't know about the cuddling though!
[quote]
On 2011-07-14 21:47, stoneunhinged wrote:
I get high on playing around with idiots on Internet forums.

[/quote]

All this beefing back and forth takes too much energy, I would rather hear some jokes or dirty stories myself, along with a nice cold one and a fat one on the side. But I'm a degenerate anyway, so what do I know ? :)
@bblumen

I think I've read everything possible from Marlo, I'm 99% sure there's nothing like my booklet in his writing. Main reason being Marlo didn't know Texas Hold'Em and of course had no idea about today's game procedures. I really admire people like you, saying it wont benefit to you whereas you haven't read it...

@Stone

Your editorial work was great. It would have been impossible to get all those people glad without your job. Sure, the content is mine, but the quality they enjoy has something to do with you and I want to thank you again here.

By the way, volume #2 has been started. Get ready :).
[quote]
On 2011-07-15 18:13, AMcD wrote:
@bblumen

I think I've read everything possible from Marlo, I'm 99% sure there's nothing like my booklet in his writing. Main reason being Marlo didn't know Texas Hold'Em and of course had no idea about today's game procedures. I really admire people like you, saying it wont benefit to you whereas you haven't read it...

[snip]

[/quote]

I am not speaking to games.

I am speaking about technique.

Marlo certainly knew about the cheating techniques of his era.

Sorry if you were offended.
To AMcD,

I finally receive your booklet, and it is #99 out of the 100 copies lol
I am now enjoying your booklet =)

- Arthur
[quote]
On 2011-07-15 16:32, Tony45 wrote:
I would rather hear some jokes or dirty stories myself, along with a nice cold one and a fat one on the side. But I'm a degenerate anyway, so what do I know ? :)
[/quote]

I go to the other place to read funny stories. And I appreciate them quite a bit.

But here? Meh.
Dear friends,

I realized this afternoon (more precisely, one of you made me realize) I forgot to mention that every owner of this first pamphlet has a free access to some private page(s) of my website. So far, it's just few fixes, but it's gonna be more important in the future (articles I won't print, documents, videos, etc.). I simply forgot to specify that in every mail/messages dealing with the purchase of that booklet. About 20 of you haven't got an account!

I really apologize. Just send me a username and a password and I'll fix that very fast.

Last, about the next volume. I have almost finished the TOC, which is the most difficult part for me, as I need to get tons of references, etc. I won't be as slow as I was for the first one. I think October/November would be a nice estimation :).
Email sent :)

Really looking forward to the 2nd booklet btw =)
Hey Arnold,
Can I put in a request right now for number 20? I'd like to have the same number as for the first one, because I'm a nerd like that.
-Jay
@jfquackenbush

You're not the only one asking, many people have suggested that already. I think is a cool idea and I'll do it.
Stop asking AMcD questions and let him work on his new booklet - Can't wait to read it...
;)
Sorry but I'm not interest in this book.

IMO it's waste of money to buy it.

FILL
How does a post like this help have a discussion????
@slim23,

Don't pay attention to him.

There are about 8 guys (more or less) who can't stand me. I'm not talking about people I have enlivened debates with (once in a while), those are cool and I sometimes deserve to be put in the line. No, I'm talking about people really hating me. Some have left the Magic Café, some are still around. Whatever I show, write, say or comment it will always be crap, worthless, etc. Some are chasing me thru various forums... for years! One of the most cretin of all being "900nm", always posting I'm a fake, I'm nothing, blablabla. Even in 25 years I'll be a fake to him! Even after 1,000 tourneys. Even if I release 20 books or 10 DVDs.

Some are people talking for other people. Some are jealous. Some are mere idiots, bona fide imbeciles. None of them know me personally and at least 50% are French. I can bet you anything you want none of them would dare to say right in front of me what they write on forums. I sometimes answered their posts in the past, now, I don't. I don't have time to spend with anonymous cowards/schmucks. This FILL--IPINESS would pay to have 1% of the mails I exchanged with top cardmen because that first booklet.

Again, just ignore him.

Thanks for taking care though :).
Unfortunately there's a lot of hate in this gambling aficionado community. Something even more depressing is that I don't think I've been lied to more than by any other group. I can only hope that this gets better in time but I can't see it happening.
There is hate in EVERY forum, on EVERY subject, in ANY language, because this is the essence of the forums: let the uninformed people talk about subjects they THINK they know - but still are frusteated because they read posts from people who REALLY know the subjects. I don't know if I am clear, but trust me, this is a regular problem with forums - you just have to deal with...
I'm not referring just to the forums.
+1 with Jean-Jacques.

I'm on Internet forums since 1996 or a bit before. I have always seen that. Being anonymous allows to get some importance, you can insult everyone, you are equal to everyone, it doesn't matter what your age is or how proficient you are. You can post and give your advice. Thus, forums are the perfect tool for frustrated people. In another hand, I like forums, you meet amazing guys, you learn a lot. Idiots are just part of that system.

That's also true that Magic/Gambling/Cheating forums are very aggressive in general. IMHO it has to do with the "secret" background involved. Old guys don't want new kids to take their place, people who paid for knowledge don't want to share it, etc.
I agree with the above few comments. The thing that strikes me about the whole thing is that there is a certain pettiness among subcultures that are built around secret keeping. I think its just as true of magicians, gamblers and card cheats as it is of the drug culture and prison inmates. There comes a point where the keeping of the secret is of more value than the secret itself and along with that comes an insularity and a crankiness that is reactionary and functions as an outlet for all the bitterness and disappointment that exists in those communities for the wide ranging failures that come with living that sort of a life. What exactly the failures that go along withe being a magician are, I'm not sure, but for the rest it's pretty clear that whatever arrogance and attitude come with it are bound up in a sort of quasi-envy of outsiders and younger people that is poorly concealed. Gambling in particular is a passtime that can break people and if you don't know your own limits in it, particularly if you've tried to turn pro and busted out, you can get very bitter very fast. Add to that the anonymity of the internet and you have a perfect storm just waiting to happen.

Not that I blame folks who feel that way, still I do think that if we all make an effort to be a bit more kind and genteel in our dealings with one another, we can keep our collective stress levels much lower.
Yeah I agree with you and Jean Jacques.

Being Anonymous may be a problem, but when you surf the internet since several years, when you are on severals forums, you have some experience to avoid most of traps, "idiots profiles", fruitless discussions, agressive answers. It's become easier to know who is true expert or not and you put on oneside frustrated people.
Funny how some people seem to think the gambling subculture revolves around the Magic Café.

This problem exists much further than just the "Gambling Spot."
Something tells me that last message will be misinterpreted.

I am not referring specifically to the Magic Café, rather I'm trying to make a broad statement about all internet activity related to this niche.
@ AMcD.
I have been practising riffle stacking wit the help of your booklet and I wanted to know your thoughts on this subject concerning the practibility during a game. Say you stack on card to many on top of the deck, i.e. you put one spacer to many. I know you recommend a Zarrow for this kind of incident, but I was wondering if a Erdnase blind cut no1 would be of use ? Would the move fly ? Ever thought of it ? Is there a better the way I missed ? The move seems nice but...

Thank you for comments by you or any who have tried the move,

Slim

reference : Dover edition p.19
Hi slim23,

I don't recommend a Zarrow for that :). In the paragraph dedicated to such troubles I list the Zarrow as a tool (it's just one among others) to "unmesh" extra spacers located INSIDE the slug. You can also use a partial Zarrow, or pull out out the extra cards, etc.

When you have extra-spacers on TOP of the slug it depends the kind of game I'm playing. In games where people don't really care if I use 3+ riffles and one or two strip/running cuts, I'd just transfer the extra card to the bottom during a strip or a riffle. Simple and easy. You can use cuts, sure. In more serious games, I'd simply do nothing! When I mess up, I mess up. As I don't play big money, my main concern is avoiding been spot because the consequences wouldn't worth it. When fixing a "mistake" is easy to do, like adding a second deal, well, let's go. But otherwise, I give up. That's the purpose of practicing, to avoid catching up things.

Note that holding back 4 cards and 4 riffles allows to solve almost all the cases you'll find in live games. Break big spacers chunks in two, use what I call split stacking, etc. Frankly, I rarely fail and when it happens, it's never on top of the slug, rather in the center of it.
Thanks for the answers and extra tips!
I figured that much regarding the Zarrow.
I like the idea of doing more running cuts or to just let go of that hand.

Good day,

Slim
I would like to know if there are any faro stackig references?
Thanks
@Hugokhf,

What do you mean exactly?
Greetings,

I have seen several posts where you reference your videos and even a booklet on the faro. How does one gain access to these? I have been to your website and did not see anything conclusive for access. I did notice that you have an interest in hacking as well. I myself work in the IT industry as a security consultant and am CEH. I have very strong interests in PenTesting and such. Do you belong to any forums for that? We may be in other groups together.
Anyway, I am very interested in finding out about the access to your materials for the Faro.

Thank you and feel free to PM me,

Kingman
Hi Kingman,

It's not a booklet on the Faro, it's the first volume of a series dedicated to card hustling techniques and it's about riffle stacking AND Faro stacking for Texas Hold'em:

http://www.arnoldmcdonald.org/code/main.php?p=6300000

Some tools on the Faro here:

http://www.arnoldmcdonald.org/code/main.php?p=6400000

Just a few are public. Many are private (about shuffle tracking, stacking in general, etc.).

In order to get an access to my website I need to know you. You have published something? You have posted videos? Have we shared sessions? Have you purchased something from me? Are you looking like Sharon Stone when she was in her 30's? Etc.

I don't talk about hacking in public but my stuff is old school: assembly, malwares and system hacking.
Well, maybe one day we will get to know each other, until then I will wait.

And I would not ask you to talk about the other activity here, which is why I suggested a PM. Old school?.. I have been on line since 1983 with Compuserve using a TRaSh80 Model-100. Pretty old school I guess. Belong to so many groups I just thought we might have run across each other in our other lives. My handle has always been Solinus.

Enough for now...back to the magic

Kingman
Dear friends,

I think it's time for me to write sort of a conclusion about that first volume.

1) Apparently, everyone is glad about the contents, the quality, etc. (Only 2 people haven't given their opinion). I have to tell you I didn't expect such a level of satisfaction. So, I'm kind of happy :).

2) The bad points. Only two of them:

a) Many people would have enjoyed formulas extended to other Poker variants, like Draw, Stud, Omaha, etc. And some bit of double duking. Actually, I didn't do it because it would have required many more pages and then would have cost more money. I didn't think also that so many people would have been interested! Anyway, I'm working on a short addendum with a mate of mine. I hope to give you news about that soon, very soon...

b) Hey quite a lot of people would have appreciated I describe a method on table Faro. Frankly I gave you many references and I still think that table Faro is all but difficult (unless you want to do a perfect one, trully riffling the cards one by one). I won't release a method on print though. I have no time nor motivation for that. But just because all of you guys are very kind (100% of very polite people in every email exchanged), if you want, I can try to get a webcam and shoot something for you. At least, one or two methods I use. It's up to you!

Again, thanks to all of you!

PS: if the last stragglers could hurry up a bit...
Arnold, thank YOU !

PS: I'd be very interested in a Double Duking addendum :)
Actually it's gonna be 2-duke, 3-duke and for Draw, Stud, Omaha, etc. I had to force my nature a bit because it's not really "true" gambling related but, hey, let's chill out a bit! It's still interesting to learn/practice though and there is certainly someone who's gonna make something useful out of it. So...
Good news !
Well, not necessarily because it postpones #2 and #3. But too many people have asked me about these formulas and variations. Beside, it will close definitely the chapter on riffle and Faro stacking. So...

Get your fingers ready, it's not an easy matter though!
(

[quote]
On 2011-09-17 00:30, AMcD wrote:
Some are chasing me thru various forums... for years! One of the most cretin of all being "900nm", always posting I'm a fake, I'm nothing, blablabla. Even in 25 years I'll be a fake to him! Even after 1,000 tourneys. Even if I release 20 books or 10 DVDs.
[/quote]

It's interesting to notice he still bears a gruge against me even though I haven't post for months... I can't believe it !

)
I'm surprised that you're surprised.
Hey Arnold
how is your progress with Volume 2 ?
will it be released in 2012 ?
I cant wait for the next volume :D
Hi Joey!

I'm currently working on 2 booklets simultaneously! If all is going well, I may release 3 booklets (or 2 booklets and 1 book, we'll see) in 2012.

Stay tuned then, and thanks for asking.

Don't worry because I don't post that much in this place though. I'm still reading your posts my friends.

Second dealing yours :).
Hey AMcD,

It's good to see you posting again!!! I cannot WAIT for your next booklets. =)

- Arthur
Good news !
Good to hear that you're working on a third Volume aswell :).
Already looking forward to your releases this year.
Thanks my friends.
Good news, I wait your next work
AMcD I am just starting in this area of Card artifice (translate = I suck), snowman's chance in hell of me getting access to your publications.

Jerry
Glad to hear you are working on those booklets Arnold. I'm looking forward to reading them
Now about AMcD's booklets. The first was very well done as I stated earlier in the thread. I'm sure if his subsequent booklets are even half as good, they are well worth purchasing.
In case it got lost before "May I purchase your e-books"?

Jerry
Hi Jerry. My apologies, I didn't see you

Everything is explained in my first 2 posts on page 1 of that thread.

I hope you understand everything has been sold (and I don't plan a reprint). For the following volumes, I'll increase the number of copies though.

Thanks for your interest.
Any news AMcD?