(Close Window)
Topic: Ger Copper's Cups and Balls
Okay sportsfans.

This is the real deal. A master magician performing his original and wonderful routine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCngf_SA0aA

KG
Very strong... a little of Kaps' work. I love his tossing the cups.
Now, that is how the cups can be done!
MR
Very nice work!
Holy bleepedy bleep bleep Batman!!!!! I have never seen anything like that.
Beautifull. Love every moment of it, how the routine is built and ...the baffling loading sequence and how the trowing of cups and the wand vanishing contributes to it.
Chapeau!
Very good! Love the costuming as well - reminds me of the C&B drawings in Ozanam and Guyot.

Fortasse
Wow. What a routine. I have Ger's booklet that teaches a routine but I don't think it is anywhere near as interesting as this one.

Todd
A thing of beauty, real beauty.

So enchanting in fact, that I would say this is a fine example of craft transformed to art.

Especially so as depicted tightly framed, with only Copper's hands showing.

Accented by the decorative white cuffs, the artist's hands and fingers literally "leap and dance", ballet-like, across the stage of his close-up table, with no wasted or extraneous movements.

The unique wand, the gleaming cups, the large red balls, and the simple but surprising finale create a moment of pure magical fantasy.

How does the Netherlands produce such magical giants!

I have found my new "favorite magician".

Bravissimo Mr. Copper, bravissimo!
Bapu :

You're so right about the Dutch : Fred Kaps....Eddy Taytelbaum (via Dutch Surinam).....Tommy Wonder....the list goes on.
Now, that's a routine!
Interestingly, Ger told me he has pretty much quit doing magic, per se... but to make a living is doing a BLACK ART act.
Fortasse: You need to add Richard Ross, Dick Koornwinder, Phoa Yan Tiong, Bob Driebeek and the teacher to many Henk Vermeyden. There are a few others, but their names escape me... Tony van Rhee...
Wow, those final loads flew right by me. It feels so good to be fooled by a cups and balls routine....
This is what he now does.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1QHZuaX-VE
Great work. Especially suited for youtube.
Hello,

this is the most beautiful routine that I have seen in a long time. Is it in print somewhere? I would love to work on it.

Best Regards,

Kay from Berlin Germany
[quote]
On 2011-12-16 10:55, Bapu wrote:
A thing of beauty, real beauty.

So enchanting in fact, that I would say this is a fine example of craft transformed to art.

Especially so as depicted tightly framed, with only Copper's hands showing.

Accented by the decorative white cuffs, the artist's hands and fingers literally "leap and dance", ballet-like, across the stage of his close-up table, with no wasted or extraneous movements.

The unique wand, the gleaming cups, the large red balls, and the simple but surprising finale create a moment of pure magical fantasy.

How does the Netherlands produce such magical giants!

I have found my new "favorite magician".

Bravissimo Mr. Copper, bravissimo!
[/quote]

Every year for many years, there was a contest between the Dutch magicians and the British magicians. The Dutch always won. Maybe it has something to do with the confinement of the country during the post WWII years. Nothing else to do, so let's practice! ;)
Not to mention Okito of course.

Larry :readingbook:
I remember seeing Ger do his Cup and Ball routine at the 1977 Abbott's Magic get-togther he totally blew everyone away.

Flip Hallema is another great Dutch magician.
[quote]
On 2011-12-23 13:26, spcarlson wrote:
I remember seeing Ger do his Cup and Ball routine at the 1977 Abbott's Magic get-togther he totally blew everyone away.

Flip Hallema is another great Dutch magician.
[/quote]I saw and met Ger at an earlier Abbott's convention. We were both teenagers.
A real artist.