(Close Window)
Topic: New to Rope magic
Hey all
Been doing magic for about five years now, and I have NEVER tried doing rope magic.
Well it's about time! So I wonder if you could tips me of some good DVDs or books.

Andrew
Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks at Abbotts is one that really old. Tarbell has some good stuff in it.
Thanks!
Any DVD tips?
Daryl has a three DVD set that has more rope magic than you can use.
Aldo and Rachel Colombini have some good rope routines, and you can't beat the price: $10.00!

http://www.wildcolombini.com/

Angelo
Aldo & Rachel need the money more
I agree with All the above and stop there.
Richard sanders made a DVD with some old principles. It is called Fiber optics, I use it. :)
Of course Daryl and Aldo but also...

"The Dennis Loomis Knot Routine... PLUS!"
http://www.loomismagic.com

"Flip's Truly Magical Rope Magic"
http://www.llpub.com/zenshop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=27&products_id=1505

-Mary Mowder
"Toot toot", that's my own horn.

Try Dances with Ropes.
Linking ropes professors nightmare combo.
http://bigduck.tripod.com/id36.html
:thehat:
I love Flip's Truly Magical Rope Magic, Ian's Dances with Ropes, and the Dennis Loomis Knot Routine Plus
Richard sanders dvd is a defo. well taught and a good routine you can adapt. I also like it cause scissors aren't involved. Have fun.
[quote]
On 2012-01-20 19:13, whippetfish wrote:
Richard sanders dvd is a defo. well taught and a good routine you can adapt. I also like it cause scissors aren't involved. Have fun.
[/quote]
This is an old conversation, but 90% of Sanders no-scissors aspect is derived from George Sands material.
Mongolian Pop Knot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUMOkWUM7yI
[quote]
On 2012-01-21 09:01, magicians wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]
This is an old conversation, but 90% of Sanders no-scissors aspect is derived from George Sands material.
[/quote]

That may be true, but George Sands never made a teaching DVD of his material before he passed away. We all know, this generation cannot read or follow illustration drawings. Richard Sanders filled a need he seen in the market place.

George's brother or son published a book of all of his material. How is it selling?
[quote]
On 2012-01-21 14:08, wmhegbli wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-01-21 09:01, magicians wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
His son does have a teaching video of George Sands rope and over-all I believe sales are proportional to Alans lecture appearances.

That may be true, but George Sands never made a teaching DVD of his material before he passed away. We all know, this generation cannot read or follow illustration drawings. Richard Sanders filled a need he seen in the market place.

George's brother or son published a book of all of his material. How is it selling?
[/quote]

His son does have a teaching video of George Sands rope and over-all I believe sales are proportional to Alans lecture appearances.
http://www.alansands.com/old_site/www/store/sandsrope.html
Text and DVD accompaniment.

But, you are right, this is not modern production material and probably won't appeal to the new learning curves.
Ha andrew all of the said above is good. glad your wanting to expand into rope magic.
I have the George Sands DVD, and book. I learned a lot from it, and he is the man when it comes to rope magic. I also have two of Richard Sanders DVD's, he uses no scissors, and his fiber optics routine is George Sands on Steroids.
Yes, it sometimes takes another person to bring the original creators ideas to the peak of entertainment.

I have noticed this myself over the years. I was very happy to actually see the originator of a magic trick present his creation. A lot of the time I was somewhat disappointed; as I or others have done a better job at presenting this same magic effect.

Just because someone invented a trick, does not mean that the presenting of that trick is the best it can be. And, I am not talking about improving on the original trick at all with methods or moves. I am simply saying, when the written word is read by others it can be interpreted in different ways, and when that persons personality is added, it sometimes makes the trick better to an audience.

Different people see thing differently, and that can be an improvement in some cases.

The 1st place I seen the 'sliding knot' idea was in the Jose de la Torre book on magic. Richards Sanders also used this material as well to combine with George Sands material.

I may have to get the Richard Sanders DVD, it might be fun to reference all the combined material and the original sources, and then note how they were changed. What comes to mind, is I see his sliding know is done in his hands, were the original idea was much more dramatic with rope anchored by one foot and sled down the rope. The knot was then shot off with a pistol. Improvement on Richard Sanders apart, I don't know.
Richard Sanders has "three ropes and a baby", "Fiber Optics", and "Fiber Optics improved". They IMHO all over lap, so I recommend buying the improved version to get it all.
I agree with the choices above, but would also throw out the L&L World's greatest magic: rope magic dvd, and Tabary's dvd. Also Pat page's secret seminar dvd if you can still find it...
-Rob