(Close Window)
Topic: Offworld by JP Vallarino
This is in my opinion the last word on the Out of this world plot.
JP Vallarino has created the first real time, face up version of the great classic.
If you want to amaze everybody, this effect is for you!

More info:
http://www.murphysmagic.com/product.aspx?id=60714

Best regards,
Titanas
Wow.. Just wowÖ Love this. Out of this world that hits in a few secondsÖ And FACE UP!!!!

Genius to take out of this world and create a version you can perform in so many situations and in such a wide range of presentations.. The bar challenge plot is priceless

MoM have this on the site now with free shipping here:

https://www.magicshop.co.uk/offworld

Offworld is due to ship worldwide on Monday 18th DecemberÖ in time for Christmas.

Hope this helps
Dominic
In for one! this looks good
Are you able to show 52 mixed cards at the start?
Looks pretty impressive. Any limitations on how and where this can be performed? How's the reset?
Iíve tried relatively unsuccessfully, in years past to make up the same deck. I know the method employed, which is quite simple, however, very difficult to get right. You can indeed show the deck to be mixed at the start. Believe it or not, there is no reset. You can keep performing it all day without having to do a thing in terms of a reset. Itís is quite simply Brilliant.
[quote]On Dec 11, 2017, pegasus wrote:
Itís quite simply Brilliant. [/quote]

yes.. That just about sums it up.
[quote]On Dec 11, 2017, mattH wrote:
Are you able to show 52 mixed cards at the start? [/quote]

If it's using the method that I am thinking of, yes, you can show all faces.
Iíve tried relatively unsuccessfully, in years past to make up the same deck. I know the method employed, which is quite simple, however, very difficult to get right. You can indeed show the deck to be mixed at the start. Believe it or not, there is no reset. You can keep performing it all day without having to do a thing in terms of a reset. Itís is quite simply Brilliant. [/quote]

By "difficult to get right", are you talking about the setup or is it easy to get wrong while performing?
This is looks fantastic!
Bitten the bullet and purchased this from Dominic.think I know the method and hope itís a deck that is already made up and not the material to make one up!think itís a brilliant idea though
Chris
[quote]On Dec 11, 2017, chri5hill wrote:
Bitten the bullet and purchased this from Dominic.think I know the method and hope itís a deck that is already made up and not the material to make one up!think itís a brilliant idea though
Chris [/quote]

Please report back on what you think when this arrives! Thanks!
[quote]On Dec 11, 2017, WolfgangStiller wrote:
Iíve tried relatively unsuccessfully, in years past to make up the same deck. I know the method employed, which is quite simple, however, very difficult to get right. You can indeed show the deck to be mixed at the start. Believe it or not, there is no reset. You can keep performing it all day without having to do a thing in terms of a reset. Itís is quite simply Brilliant. [/quote]

By "difficult to get right", are you talking about the setup or is it easy to get wrong while performing? [/quote]

In terms of making the deck just right. If you purchase this deck then it will be easy.
I like this trick. I already do it for years and it works good. I first came up with the idea after I saw a trick years ago from a lecture, where you had the 3 card monte stacked face up on the table and you ask them where the queen is. No matter what they say, with the same method you could show them always the queen on the not named position.
It's quite annoying to build this deck on your own, so if it's the same quality as the one I made up myself, it's probably worth the price for me to buy it just for stocking up my refills on this :P
[quote]On Dec 11, 2017, GAMJoker wrote:
I like this trick. I already do it for years and it works good. I first came up with the idea after I saw a trick years ago from a lecture, where you had the 3 card monte stacked face up on the table and you ask them where the queen is. No matter what they say, with the same method you could show them always the queen on the not named position.
It's quite annoying to build this deck on your own, so if it's the same quality as the one I made up myself, it's probably worth the price for me to buy it just for stocking up my refills on this :P [/quote]

Yes I have to agree it looks like R and S running through an entire deck like the R and S 3 Card monte packet effect although I hope itís a little more than just that . Does look amazing though regards Tarik 🙂
Clever use of this principle. Looks great.
My order is in...this looks so dam good. I really do love gimmicked decks. My Xmas presents this year are this and get sharky. Looks like Iím having a magical Christmas
[quote]On Dec 11, 2017, Tarik Flash wrote:
[quote]On Dec 11, 2017, GAMJoker wrote:
It's quite annoying to build this deck on your own, so if it's the same quality as the one I made up myself, it's probably worth the price for me to buy it just for stocking up my refills on this :P [/quote]

Yes I have to agree it looks like R and S running through an entire deck like the R and S 3 Card monte packet effect although I hope itís a little more than just that . Does look amazing though regards Tarik 🙂 [/quote]

I think you are correct Tarik but also think it's not more than that. Just applied in a specific way to make it work correctly.

Looking forward to reviews.
[quote]On Dec 11, 2017, Titanas wrote:
This is in my opinion the last word on the Out of this world plot.
JP Vallarino has created the first real time, face up version of the great classic.
If you want to amaze everybody, this effect is for you!

More info:
http://www.murphysmagic.com/product.aspx?id=60714

Best regards,
Titanas [/quote]

There have been many many "last words" on this effect. Haha... ;)

John
Worked out whats going on but a great idea.

Won't be getting it but it's good.

Mike Donoghue
I have a good idea what this but decided to pre-order. Normally, I avoid pre-orders like the plague but OOW has been one of my core effects for decades and I am constantly playing with no versions and improving my performance. I (and my audiences) love this because it's all about the spectators.
I've been trying to work on this exact same effect with b****m deals and s****d deals with no luck, thought I almost cracked it with same principle as invisible deck, I guess I have to buy this now. Wondering how many predictions you can do in a row before a re-set, and if anything at all is examinable?
You know when you see a brilliant idea when you smack yourself on the head and say, "Why didn't I think of that?"
This is one of those so simple it is elegant ideas (observational opinion) and I will have to purchase one as I plan on using this.

Tony
[quote]On Dec 12, 2017, FilmMagician wrote:
I've been trying to work on this exact same effect with b****m deals and s****d deals with no luck, thought I almost cracked it with same principle as invisible deck, I guess I have to buy this now. Wondering how many predictions you can do in a row before a re-set, and if anything at all is examinable? [/quote]

I repeat, NO RESET.
[quote]On Dec 12, 2017, pegasus wrote:
I've been trying to work on this exact same effect with b****m deals and s****d deals with no luck, thought I almost cracked it with same principle as invisible deck, I guess I have to buy this now. Wondering how many predictions you can do in a row before a re-set, and if anything at all is examinable? [/quote]

I repeat, NO RESET. [/quote]

Well that's awesome. If it's what I think it is, it's technically examinable. Might pull the trigger on a pre-order before hearing what people say. Love how it plays visually.
Fantastic effect! Tried to make it up myself works perfectly. Very surprised how easy it was..not even half as hard as I thought.

Well that's awesome. If it's what I think it is, it's technically examinable. Might pull the trigger on a pre-order before hearing what people say. Love how it plays visually. [/quote]

What do you mean by Technically Examinable? You wouldnít want to hand the deck out, but why would you? The performance will confirm to the audience that itís a normal deck.
This is brilliant. The method has already been discussed and is obvious to most experienced magicians. But because Gregory Wilson is involved with the project it will be worth seeing his added touches to get most entertainment from it.
I agree Jared. Thatís worth the money alone. I much prefer his handling in the demo too.
When I grow up I want to be Gregory Wilson.
Clever application of a time tested method on the OOTW plot! Like it.
Amazing.
Ulti Monte which was put out by magic smith is the 3 card monte packet effect using this principle . Best wishes Tarik 🙂
"This is something I would do to fool magicians." He must have a pretty low opinion of magicians if this is just R and S. If it's NOT R and S, it will fool magicians since that's what they are going to think it is.
It would never fool any magician itís obvious whatís going on . However we are not in the business of fooling magicians and the I D deck and alike are arguably the best card effects ever so it will slay the layman which is the important bit Tarik 🙂
Agreed Tarik.
Like other said it look good, but I also manage to work it out after one look at the intro video, so it is not really full a magician since I only practice magic for hobby and still got it in a sec. On the other hand, I am sure that layman will full for that.
I guess I will make one of my own since it look very easy to work it out.
I think the price is very high and you don't even get a deck.
A deck cost about $3 so for the price they could throw one in since the gimmick to make invincible deck (or a like) can be found in about $10.
I guess that every magician that is playing with card already have what he need to make a deck on there own.
Good luck
And that's why we often get demo videos/trailers that don't show the effect

I would presrume you do get the deck:

Offworld (Gimmick and Online Instructions)
I actually prefer doing OOTW face down as once you have a got a few right in this face up version itís obvious where it is going you have proved you can do it and yet you continue to repeatedly do the same . When face down you turn the whole lot over and they are all correct itís a far greater wow factor and is stronger in my opinion Tarik 🙂
I have to disagree with you there Tarik. This method confirms to the spec that there is no trickery-pokery in play. Itís right in their face. Far far better imho.
Surly for the price paid your going to get a fully made up deck ??????
[quote]On Dec 13, 2017, Tarik Flash wrote:
I actually prefer doing OOTW face down as once you have a got a few right in this face up version itís obvious where it is going you have proved you can do it and yet you continue to repeatedly do the same . When face down you turn the whole lot over and they are all correct itís a far greater wow factor and is stronger in my opinion Tarik 🙂 [/quote]

I agree. It's more effective face down and it's consistent with how I do my other OOTW effects.
[quote]On Dec 13, 2017, AceFace wrote:
Surly for the price paid your going to get a fully made up deck ?????? [/quote]

I was under the impression you got everything you need. Perhaps you have to "assemble" the deck (merge the cards) which would be fine.
You are probably right Pegasus if the handling looks consistent throughout and you donít keep having to change too much when revealing Red or Black . Also if the deck doesn't come apart incorrectly like R and S tends to do from time to time if not applied perfectly and is used a lot . Does look great I must admit but then again Greg Wilson makes everything look fantastic Tarik 🙂
I am still awaiting Cosmos 3.0 but Greg Rostami has gone quiet on this possibly as he may have known about this release so he maybe getting this one out of the way first Tarik 🙂

Well that's awesome. If it's what I think it is, it's technically examinable. Might pull the trigger on a pre-order before hearing what people say. Love how it plays visually. [/quote]

No, not the deck, but a single card, per se. That's all I meant.

What do you mean by Technically Examinable? You wouldnít want to hand the deck out, but why would you? The performance will confirm to the audience that itís a normal deck. [/quote]
Just to clear up some confusion.
Offworld comes with a fully working deck right out of the box.

Best regards,
Titanas
Hi Titanas thanks for chiming in here thatís good to know 🙂 . Does it also give purchasers details on how to re apply the necessary in the correct places as the deck wears ? Best wishes Tarik 🙂
Dear Tarik,
Yes, the instructions have a very clear repairing section.
I also notice a small mistake I did in my previous post.
I said "right out of the box"
The deck is supplied but it still needs a very small assembly of about 2 minutes, we did that because during this time you might want to add another great option on the deck.
Best regards,
Titanas
Thanks Titanas best wishes Tarik 🙂
So a few questions about the deck:
1) Can I freely shuffle the deck before the trick is performed?
2) And how much of the deck is spectator allowed to examine, if anything at all?
[quote]On Dec 13, 2017, Labracabrador wrote:
2) And how much of the deck is spectator allowed to examine, if anything at all? [/quote]

I wouldnít think either of these would be recommended
@Labracabrador

shuffle? no, but I suppose you could give it several cuts - although the routining is scripted so that it's not needed. Remember, it's OOTW which means it's about the spectator's ability to guess RED or BLACK, it's on THEM, so deck order really doesn't matter

Examine? I don't do it like Gregory Wilson does in the teaching, he spreads through the cards, but I find that .... not to my liking. So I spring the cards twice allowing them to "glimpse" every card as it's falling.

Just a side note, I've had 2 other gimmicked OOTW decks, and I've let them go... THIS I AM KEEPING! Aside from my Impromptu OOTW that I do (Dowdan) THIS IS MY FAVORITE
The one drawback this has is that unlike the traditional OOTW where you show one card, then another, then several and a whole block of cards correct, it doesn't really have a good climax. It's still much cleaner and more direct than other version so I really like that but I'm thinking about how to give it a climax. I am thinking of starting with this and then moving to a larger reveal. I am playing with how to routine that.
Don't you think that the classic OOTW is too famous? People know it...
[quote]On Dec 14, 2017, thomasP wrote:
Don't you think that the classic OOTW is too famous? People know it... [/quote]

Magicians certainly know it but I don't think the general public does and I have fooled magicians with my variation on it (although it basically uses the originally Paul Curry principal).
2) And how much of the deck is spectator allowed to examine, if anything at all? [/quote]

1) Why?
2) Why?
Don't you think that the classic OOTW is too famous? People know it... [/

I perform the linking rings at every gig...despite the fellers at the magic club telling me that lay audiences are bored with it. Magicians are bored with it. 99% of the public has never seen them...simply because 99% of most magicians NEVR perform for the public, yet think they know how the pubic will react to magic.
[quote]On Dec 14, 2017, Rocky wrote:

I perform the linking rings at every gig...despite the fellers at the magic club telling me that lay audiences are bored with it. Magicians are bored with it. 99% of the public has never seen them...simply because 99% of most magicians NEVR perform for the public, yet think they know how the pubic will react to magic. [/quote]

Agree--totally!
Rocky, just curious as to how you worked out that percentage.......... or did you just pluck one off the top of your head?
[quote]On Dec 14, 2017, rasp wrote:
Rocky, just curious as to how you worked out that percentage.......... or did you just pluck one off the top of your head? [/quote]

Of the top of my head...but the point is that all the sponge ball routines, ambitious card effects, and other various routines magicians perform for each other are not performed nearly as often as they are for regular folks.
It's a good point

I seldom do sponge balls --but once in awhile I pull them out and voila--everyone loves them!
Really I donít know one gigging card magician who doesnít do ACR to laymen , regards Tarik 🙂
[quote]On Dec 14, 2017, Rocky wrote:

I perform the linking rings at every gig...despite the fellers at the magic club telling me that lay audiences are bored with it. Magicians are bored with it. 99% of the public has never seen them...simply because 99% of most magicians NEVR perform for the public, yet think they know how the pubic will react to magic. [/quote]

BOOM! and I will add that most people do know of the Linking Rings but not many have seen it performed in front of there face by a professional. ;) that's entertainment!
SORRY! wasnt tryin' to help Turn the Thread. Back to Offworld! :xmastree:
Were carrying that at the Reel Magic Marketplace tomorrow.....
What makes OOTW great is the structure of the routine, and the anticipation when the spec starts to suspect what's happening but they can't confirm it yet. This new routine has none of that. It's a monte. A bar bet. Do it over and over and make the specs more frustrated each time, but to my mind there's no narrative structure or real wonder here, just a little mechanical mystery.

I am not against this product. If this suits your style, go and have fun. I am against marketing it as a "better" version of OOTW. It's like choreographing one good stage fight and calling it "The ultimate version of Hamlet, without all the boring suspense and thoughtful stuff!
If they both camne out today - brand new and never before seen/known

Which would you buy [?]

From the demo for this - I would get OOTW

As a spec - this looks like a mgic trick - you don't know what's going on, but something is happening as he's showing us each card...

That's what I thought when I saw the demo

It just looked wrong the performer sliding the crads off... I would probably go B, B, B, then R - just to see if there was a difference in how he handled the cards... hmm
I would get this 100 percent. The traditional OOTW is relatively boring to a spec, compared to this.
I completely disagree. It's one of the most suspenseful routines in the canon. If the specs aren't literally jumping out of their seats to see the final reveal, that's on you. If you can't do 2 minutes and keep it interesting, I guess this whizz-bang "gotcha" presentation will do, but OOTW is not boring unless you are.
[quote]On Dec 18, 2017, pegasus wrote:
I would get this 100 percent. The traditional OOTW is relatively boring to a spec, compared to this. [/quote]

Not judging from the reactions that I get to it, it's not! I think I know the principle at play here, but I looking forward to getting it.
I really like this. OOTW is a routine I use all the time, I have multiple versions and various presentation themes for it.
But it is difficult to do walk-around and without a table. This provides a excellent solution.

Tony
Could you make this up and do it with a large bicycle deck?
Messing around with a deck this afternoon you can do this effect which a regular deck and a get ready.
Maybe not as clean but works just same in spectators eyes.
Anyone received this yet...it was supposed to be released yesterday, I ordered from MOM but have had no shipping email yet or any reply to my email in which I asked if itís been shipped yet....
[quote]On Dec 18, 2017, Ross W wrote:
[quote]On Dec 18, 2017, pegasus wrote:
I would get this 100 percent. The traditional OOTW is relatively boring to a spec, compared to this. [/quote]

Not judging from the reactions that I get to it, it's not! I think I know the principle at play here, but I looking forward to getting it. [/quote]

This version lacks the drama, the buildup, of the original OOTW. It lacks a climax. Starting with this and then going into a regular version of the effect might be good. Of course, you'd have to do a DS.
Received mine. Very happy with purchase. Brilliant. Love this version.
[quote]On Dec 19, 2017, Ray Haining wrote:
Starting with this and then going into a regular version of the effect might be good. Of course, you'd have to do a DS. [/quote]

I had the same thought. When I get mine I am going to experiment with that concept and work out a logical DS.
Since I don't do walkaround magic, pocket space is not a big concern.
[quote]On Dec 19, 2017, videoman wrote:
[quote]On Dec 19, 2017, Ray Haining wrote:
Starting with this and then going into a regular version of the effect might be good. Of course, you'd have to do a DS. [/quote]

I had the same thought. When I get mine I am going to experiment with that concept and work out a logical DS.
Since I don't do walkaround magic, pocket space is not a big concern. [/quote]

Or starting with this and then going into a "New World" version;
The deck of cards is prepared with "Offworld"gimmick and the other half with "New World" cards and you are ready.

Darko
What about half the deck Offworld, half the deck stripper then you can give it to shuffle,
show they are truly mixed, do the setup in 1 second thanks to the striper and go on the classic OTW
[quote]On Dec 19, 2017, CamilleMagic wrote:
What about half the deck Offworld, half the deck stripper then you can give it to shuffle,
show they are truly mixed, do the setup in 1 second thanks to the striper and go on the classic OTW [/quote]

Thatís very plausible. Good thinking. Perhaps do it the other way around though.
In fact what about giving half the deck (ungimmicked) to the spec to shuffle. Then you can show that both halfís are exactly the same, red and black. Go through one card at a time, slowly.
Since the basic version of this does not really have an ending the performance must be dynamic and strong ala Greg Wilson.

Having a comedic performing style, I might do a version of this where the wife is always right the husband always wrong or the child always right the parent always wrong etc.
Think of the money you could make within the context of a gambling routine. :lol:
[quote]On Dec 14, 2017, pegasus wrote:

1) Why?
2) Why? [/quote]

1. Because he's a magician
2. Because he's a magician
[quote]On Dec 20, 2017, John C wrote:

1) Why?
2) Why? [/quote]

2. Because he's a magician [/quote]

Unlike you.
:rolleyes:
I actually don't like the "face up" presentation and the "sliding" reveal of the card.

Personally I think that reveals too much and just isn't' aesthetically pleasing - to me. Someone said "has too much of a bar bet look." I agree - for my taste.

BUT twice in the video there are brief handling of the cards face down and a turn over reveal. I much prefer the look of this over the face up "sliding."

MY QUESTON IS: CAN THE ROUTINE BE DONE WITH A FACE DOWN CARD BY CARD TURN OVER REVEAL? IF "YES" CAN THE ENTIRE ROUTINE BE DONE THIS WAY?

Then, in addition, could the cards be placed face up into the spectator's hand? (i'm thinking absolutely not, of course, unless there was some kind of fool proof audience control where you knew their other hand wouldn't come up to "examine" the cards.
Got this yesterday....Iím on the fence with this one. I can certainly see it getting good reactions if it is performed correctly and in the right situation.....it works exactly as I thought it would. Mines going back to be exchanged due to something missing off quite a few of the cards. I think that for such a steep price for essentially a deck of cards they could have at least set the deck up, the excuse for not setting it up is quite weak because it would have been even easier to perform the optional marking if it was set up in the first place. I think the manufacture of this has been very lazy in not sending you the effect ready to go out of the box. All in all I would give this 2.5/5 would have been 4 if it came ready to go.
I agree wholeheartedly. And the price is very excessive for what you receive and I believe it will hurt sales because of that. People will just make their own deck up. I paid for it because I thought it was a brilliant idea and still think so. Great effect.
[quote]On Dec 21, 2017, John wrote:
I actually don't like the "face up" presentation and the "sliding" reveal of the card.

Personally I think that reveals too much and just isn't' aesthetically pleasing - to me. Someone said "has too much of a bar bet look." I agree - for my taste.

BUT twice in the video there are brief handling of the cards face down and a turn over reveal. I much prefer the look of this over the face up "sliding."

MY QUESTON IS: CAN THE ROUTINE BE DONE WITH A FACE DOWN CARD BY CARD TURN OVER REVEAL? IF "YES" CAN THE ENTIRE ROUTINE BE DONE THIS WAY?

Then, in addition, could the cards be placed face up into the spectator's hand? (i'm thinking absolutely not, of course, unless there was some kind of fool proof audience control where you knew their other hand wouldn't come up to "examine" the cards. [/quote]

Believe me, if it works for Greg Wilson, then it works, full stop. If youíre performing this face up then it makes complete sense to handle the cards in this manner. By dealing cards across as normal you would be revealing underlying cards. Thatís the reason for performing it this way. Or thatís what you inform them before you start.
[quote]On Dec 13, 2017, The Duster wrote:
And that's why we often get demo videos/trailers that don't show the effect

I would presrume you do get the deck:

Offworld (Gimmick and Online Instructions) [/quote]
...You do get the decK...although without Jokers and you kinda need one for the routine demonstrated. No big deal but a shame really. If anyone comes up with another ending than ' how many reds? ' please message me. PS.I like the effect
"How many reds" is my favorite part
I just received mine, or so I thought. I opened the box, opened the deck and found a Koran 101 (yes I know Bagshawe is the correct name) inside instead of the Offworld deck. Those of you that have ordered might not leave it sitting around too long before you check yours as I can't be the only one.

Robert
Received mine, all good.
However, Iíve re-made the deck in Phoenix cards, and taken advantage of the one way back design
[quote]On Dec 21, 2017, TheBentos wrote:
Received mine, all good.
However, Iíve re-made the deck in Phoenix cards, and taken advantage of the one way back design [/quote]

Good idea, I may do similar as well.

Robert
[quote]On Dec 21, 2017, Robert Sixx wrote:
I just received mine, or so I thought. I opened the box, opened the deck and found a Koran 101 (yes I know Bagshawe is the correct name) inside instead of the Offworld deck. Those of you that have ordered might not leave it sitting around too long before you check yours as I can't be the only one.

Robert [/quote]

I received my copy of the effect today and had the same issue upon opening the deck. Reached out to where I purchased from and hope I hear back soon. I'll probably also just make up my own deck as well.
[quote]On Dec 18, 2017, Tony Iacoviello wrote:

I really like this. OOTW is a routine I use all the time, I have multiple versions and various presentation themes for it.
[b]But it is difficult to do walk-around and without a table. This provides a excellent solution.[/b]
[/quote]

Yes, with OffWorld, one can do walk-around without the need of a table. [b]And that, IMO, is a bigger selling point for this effect[/b].

And a suggestion:-

The 'Off-World' video teaches you how to revive the supplied deck but not how to prepare ones own deck (however that's quite understandable). To prepare one's own deck from scratch, there are quite a few booklets/videos available which teaches the perfect and correct way of applying the Formula. Check them out before you venture in this direction.

When using your own prepared deck, and for this effect to work reliably and consistently, one must ensure that the amount (quantity) of 'Formula' applied on each card is just adequate and is evenly applied. Any card(s) that has more or less coating is liable to create problems in the reveal.

And a final Tip: Try not to coat the cards exactly till midway, but keep it about 5mm short. This will help leave a 10mm gap (strip) in the middle of the cards (where the two opposite cards meet), thus keeping the two portions adequately separate & away from each other.

Sorry for being a bit cryptic.

:xmas:
Very good suggestions Ustaad. Thank you.
Just got mine. I can see the "gimmick". Why won't my audiences?
[quote]On Dec 22, 2017, Ross W wrote:
Just got mine. I can see the "gimmick". Why won't my audiences? [/quote]

Because theyíre not magicians?
Hopefully they are paying attention to the color of the card and not the texture of it. In the demo, Wilson moves at a good pace, getting excited for the spectator. They don't get to study the card.
Just got my deck and after setting it up it works perfectly. I'm not really seeing anything, either.

But, I'm also a little "on the fence" about this. It does come off like a bar bet in a way.

I believe JP Vallarino's original handling was done face down using a stud poker type deal. I think that would be my preferred way to handle this.

I'll give this a "7" on a scale of 1 - 10. Very clever, but probably not something I will use. And, I don't think it will fool magicians if that means anything.

Robert
The less people performing this the better. In the words of Greg. ďThis is Br-ill-iant.Ē
Got the deck. The faces are R******S****** as they are supposed to be, but not the backs-- Is this right or did I get a defective deck?
If you r and s the faces you can do face down I would think Tarik 🙂
From some of the posts Iíve seen on here and other forums I think that a fair few decks went out defective....mine certainly was, returned it and waiting for a replacement. This has not been the most successful release really.
I got my deck and it works perfectly. One small point is a bit disappointing since the instructions reference using a joker (which isn't absolutely necessary but really helps) but no joker was included in the deck. It just so happens I don't have a spare red bicycle deck to grab one so it's a bit of a nuisance. I have performed this several dozen times in various lighting situations and there is nothing to see. Actually in preparing the deck I had to work hard to see what I was looking for to confirm things were as I expected. I perform this 100% face down since it fits in with my existing OOTW presentation. Very nice. I highly recommend this effect but I don't care for the face up handling just based the way I perform.
Just got mine and am setting it up. Can someone confirm that Dull = R and Shiny = S?
Think my deck may be one of the defective ones too. Going to have another look at instructions in case I have missed anything but I don't think so. Not going to just put it at the back of the drawer at £35. I can see some of the cards are very grubby and one was stuck to the inside of the box with some gunk or another.
[quote]On Dec 25, 2017, dustboy wrote:
Think my deck may be one of the defective ones too. Going to have another look at instructions in case I have missed anything but I don't think so. Not going to just put it at the back of the drawer at £35. I can see some of the cards are very grubby and one was stuck to the inside of the box with some gunk or another. [/quote]

My cards weren't like that so I think you don't have a good set.
[quote]On Dec 25, 2017, cinefisch wrote:
Just got mine and am setting it up. Can someone confirm that Dull = R and Shiny = S? [/quote]

yes, that's correct.
[quote]On Dec 20, 2017, pegasus wrote:
In fact what about giving half the deck (ungimmicked) to the spec to shuffle. Then you can show that both halfís are exactly the same, red and black. Go through one card at a time, slowly. [/quote]

I was thinking the same thing Bro!

Have you tried it yet?
Yes Mike and it goes over very well.
Received my replacement deck today...thanks to MOM for sorting it so quickly, my new deck works perfectly. Performed it a couple of times and it goes down really well,like most card effects itís all about the presentation, I personally think that you have to present this with real energy and enthusiasm.....make the spectator feel like they really have somehow memorised the order of the cards then really knock them over with the second phase (how many reds in the box). All in all I do rate this effect quite highly but I still think itís too expensive for what you get and I still think the deck should come to you all set up ready to go
I got my deck a couple of days ago, but unfortunately it came with a couple of defects:
1) Not all of the cards were straight (some were slightly bent so I had to straighten them out)
2) The 2 of Hearts and the Ace of Hearts were glued together. I did my best to carefully detach them, but damage was done.. As a result, the 2 of Hearts can not be used (see pic: http://tinypic.com/r/2u9n66t/9)
3) The 8 of Clubs was also defected. The back of the card was not thoroughly gimmicked, so it couldn't be used as well.

Besides those defects, I really liked the sexy box that the deck came in and the instruction video (especially the tip given at the very beginning - extremely useful!)
I was lucky that I had 1 red and 1 black card defected so the Red to Black ratio didn't change. However (!) for the price paid for the deck I would like to see more quality control during the production.
Well, if anyone if ready to a part with their Offworld I would be willing to purchase it at a resonable used price.

Doc
Got mine a couple days ago and it is not treated very well at all. Sending it back for replacement.
My deck came as it should.could it be quality control or something happening in transit.very poor if it's QC for the price.
I have had three sent to me. Some cards R/S, some not and not on the backs and poorly done. Incredibly poor quality control
[quote]On Dec 30, 2017, MitchC wrote:
Got mine a couple days ago and it is not treated very well at all. Sending it back for replacement. [/quote]

Mine is the same. Going to send it back.
[quote]On Dec 31, 2017, alondon wrote:
I have had three sent to me. Some cards R/S, some not and not on the backs and poorly done. Incredibly poor quality control [/quote]

If I had 3 sets not correct I would ask for a refund or they should throw something in for the inconvenience.
Ordered mine on the 16th Dec and still waiting but considering how bad they're coming out, I'm rather glad to be expecting a faultless one
Maybe his will help guys.

I got mine a few days ago.. and right out of the box as assembled it didn't seem to work too well
I let them rest in the box for a day or two after the proper mixture and they seem to be fine now... maybe let them sit overnight first loosely separating them then assembling them and maybe you will have a favorable outcome. I hadn't gotten too far in the instructions yet but I think I am functional.

Marty
My deck doesn't work properly and four of the cards are stuck together and if I pull them apart they will tear. Looks like it was put together by pre-school kids. Who is the manufacturer?
What happens when you donít give them long enough to dry.
Yep. I've r****ed cards before and didn't give them apple time to dry and they became stuck together and damaged when I attempted to peel them apart. Patience and ample drying time are a must prior to reassembling the deck.
[quote]On Dec 31, 2017, martysh wrote:
Maybe his will help guys.

I got mine a few days ago.. and right out of the box as assembled it didn't seem to work too well
I let them rest in the box for a day or two after the proper mixture and they seem to be fine now... maybe let them sit overnight first loosely separating them then assembling them and maybe you will have a favorable outcome. I hadn't gotten too far in the instructions yet but I think I am functional.

Marty [/quote]
I made my own but martysh is so right if you leave them in the box for a couple of days after assembly they seem to work perfectly . A little tip I found at least with any ID decks etc is between performances ie when left at home is to keep the deck in a metal card box guard as it really helps to make them work as they should when you use them Tarik 🙂
Thanks for the tip tarik.how something so simple can make all the difference.ive found this with many effects.had an issue with cross a few years go with the gimmick sticking,I found by leaving it out in a dry environment on a flat surface sorted the issue.this is what the forums should be all about,more help then hinderence.
Just set up my deck and seems to work perfectly. No QC issues here
My deck works fine but it doesn't include a joker, which is specifically referred to in the instructions for one of the effects?
[quote]On Jan 1, 2018, Bondi wrote:
Thanks for the tip tarik.how something so simple can make all the difference.ive found this with many effects.had an issue with cross a few years go with the gimmick sticking,I found by leaving it out in a dry environment on a flat surface sorted the issue.this is what the forums should be all about,more help then hinderence. [/quote]

Pleasure Tarik 🙂
I received mine and a few of the cards weren't roughed adequately. I should be able to remedy this myself but certainly better quality control should be expected. As far as the effect itself goes, I expect it to play pretty well. I'm not sure if this is necessarily an improvement over the original because the big surprise at the end is lost. However, this is more practical for many reasons including not needing a table to spread the cards on. IMO it just feels like a different effect entirely.
Message: Posted by: ComposerCopenhagen (Jan 2, 2018 01:57PM)
"First time version of this classic"?

I wouldn't call this an Out of this world.
Dani da Ortiz has already a "true" face up Out of this world, it's brilliant. "Flashback".
Call this what it is - spectator predictions.
I'm sorry I don't like flashback at all.Way too much card handling.
I do like this effect but I do much prefer a face down version which can be done with this methodology Tarik 🙂
MOM replaced my deck no problem and the new one is fine. Thanks to Mark at MOM. Importance of a good dealer. All in all, yeah, expensive, but I will use it and I have paid more for something that sits at the back of a drawer so no major complaints here.
Just got my replacement deck and the guy at the shop personally found a 'good one' set it up for performance mode, tested it. I'm a happy guy now !!

I AM going to make up my own deck when I'm feeling ambitious ;-)
I'll stick to the original handling, which is superior IMO
I agree Mandy the face down version is far better and unbelievable at the finish Tarik 🙂
Shame that such a promising trick as shown in that "Hollywood" blockbuster trailer appears to have been let down by poor quality control! After reading many of these posts, I've decided to skip this one and stay with the original that I still love performing. As many of us know who have made those "special" decks in the past ourselves, if its not applied correctly, or done in a rush, the problems encountered here are of no surprise! As I said, shame, as its looks outstanding when demo'ed.
[quote]On Dec 21, 2017, pegasus wrote:
[quote]On Dec 20, 2017, John C wrote:

1) Why?
2) Why? [/quote]

2. Because he's a magician [/quote]

Unlike you.
:rolleyes: [/quote]

I was referring to magicians worrying about shuffling and showing their props. Entertainers don't worry about such things. They are more concerned with performing an effect and moving on to the next effect. Why the need to hand out your props? Why the need to shuffle a deck? Why run when not being chased?

My comment was directed at Labracabrador not Pegasus.

J
The way the deck has been treated is nothing new.It appears on lawrence turners dvd when making a specific deck.I bought a Mirage deck from the USA(before I got the dvd). which is treated the same way to make the cards when spreaded face down,easily drawn out by the spectator.I still prefer cosmos 2.
Cosmos 2 the spectator deals the cards eliminating slight of hand.It also has a nice kicker ending if you want it.You can have the spectator be off by one red one black card and have given them a prediction from the start.What's more is that prediction names exactly what cards they will be!
Mine arrived several days ago. It was missing a Joker (I can find lots of those and I don't need it anyway), and a two of Spades. I can just skip over that card. I laid all the cards out to dry on my kitchen table and looked at every one with a magnifying glass and the preparation looks perfect on both sides. After some days of drying, I will assemble it and go for the Gold. I will keep the cards in a card clip. I know how to make this work. And how to manage an audience and how to put my cards back in my pocket when the effect is over. A Classic.

Thanks to all of you here on the Cafť for all these tips. Magicians Helping Magicians

Dave The Wave
I am still looking for cosmos 3.0 to come out which Greg promised an update on about 4 weeks back . I am still hopeful for it soon but I agree cosmos 2.0 is better than this Offworld version Tarik 🙂
Message: Posted by: magicmarkworldwide2 (Jan 6, 2018 12:19PM)
Cosmos is the best version, in my opinion. But I genuinely don't even think this should be compared to face down versions.

In fact, I don't even consider this an 'out of this world'. The cards are never separated. This is a totally different type of trick, fast, in their face, bit of fun and coincidence... I actually really like it. I've had great reactions. Really positive for walk around.
Like some here I donít think of this as an OOTW type effect. I really like it as a carry around effect. In my experience, the face down performance works very strongly. The reveal of each card is a surprise. They are guessing what the top card is, not the one below. Plus there is no problem with the exposure of one or more cards prematurely when performed face up. If anyone has an alternative ending to the Ďcards in the box finaleí I would like to hear about it.
Thank you for your praise for Cosmos 2.0

Cosmos 3.0 has been delayed by a month because we couldn't get the boxes for the packaging.

Now back to the topic of this thread.
Greg
I perform both Cosmos 2 and Offworld. IMO they are totally different effects and each has it's merits. I get great reactions from both.
Excellent news Greg I canít wait Tarik 🙂
Have to agree. Not sure why people keep comparing this to OOTW.
Hi everyone,

here is my review of Offworld by JP Vallarino.

Hope it helps :)

[Youtube]Yq3r5qKHQuM[/youtube]

Best,
Kaan
[quote]On Jan 6, 2018, The Great Dave wrote:
I know how to make this work. And how to manage an audience and how to put my cards back in my pocket when the effect is over. A Classic.

[/quote]

Hey Dave, can you teach us how to put the cards back in our pockets? Thanks.
Cant feel the difference which side of card has R---- and which side has S-----
[quote]On Jan 13, 2018, magiclee wrote:
Cant feel the difference which side of card has R---- and which side has S----- [/quote]

Hold the card so a light is shining at an angle almost parallel to the card. You can see what you need if you rotate the card slightly in the light.
[quote]On Jan 9, 2018, Gordon Astley wrote:
Like some here I donít think of this as an OOTW type effect. I really like it as a carry around effect. In my experience, the face down performance works very strongly. The reveal of each card is a surprise. They are guessing what the top card is, not the one below. Plus there is no problem with the exposure of one or more cards prematurely when performed face up. If anyone has an alternative ending to the Ďcards in the box finaleí I would like to hear about it. [/quote]

Yes I agree sometimes dragging down the d...l. a 3mm discrepancy is seen unless you move quick or anyone on here has a resolution regards Tarik 🙂
I don't get this to be honest - it's not as strong as OOTW. Not even close... so what's the point?
[quote]On Jan 15, 2018, jbadman wrote:
I don't get this to be honest - it's not as strong as OOTW. Not even close... so what's the point? [/quote]

In your opinion. Thereís plenty who think different, so whatís your point?
I don't get this to be honest - it's not as strong as OOTW. Not even close... so what's the point? [/quote]

As far as I can tell from the thread, a lot of people just don't have the presentational chops to pull off the original, and they'd rather eliminate the narrative than learn to manage it.
Ootw is one of the easiest non sleight effects in history and a classic and very easy so I disagree you need any chops for Paul Curryís version . Regards Tarik 🙂
Shelton needs all the help he can get. Lol.
[quote]On Jan 15, 2018, pegasus wrote:

In your opinion. Thereís plenty who think different, so whatís your point? [/quote]

Well no, not just in my opinion. Please just take the time to compare the two - what does this have that's BETTER in terms of impact? I can't think of anything to be honest.
[quote]On Jan 15, 2018, Tarik Flash wrote:
Ootw is one of the easiest non sleight effects in history and a classic and very easy so I disagree you need any chops for Paul Curryís version . Regards Tarik 🙂 [/quote]

I thought so too, until pegasus and others said their audiences find it boring. No moves to mess up, and I know from my own audiences that it's not inherently boring, so the only explanation I can think of is weak presentation. I think the original is superior, but I understand the need to speed it up and eliminate the suspense if you're one of those people who can't hold an audience's attention and interest for a few minutes.
OOTW is not always suited to my performing situations. It is long windded and thereís no getting away from the fact. Itís particularly not suited to noisy Ďbarí environments where a table isnít always freely available. So this is a great effect to perform in those conditions.
PROs:
- The idea and concept are awesome and easy and, if it were not for the flaws and inadequate support I would have given it 5*
CONs:
- it is supposed to come with a Joker to "protect" the special deck but there was none in mine
- there is a link to the video-instruction but there is no forum available on My PenguinMagic to discuss the effect with other purchasers / pose questions
- support at Penguin Magic was unable to answer my questions as they had sold out of the deck with the pre-order and did not have anyone on staff who was familiar with the effect who could answer my question or support a $40 product
- it is possible that my deck is defective because the special treatment needed to create the effect seemed inconsistent (but they couldn't say because, again, there was nobody at Penguin who was familiar with it and they are not expecting to restock till sometime in February)
- I took a chance and corresponded by email with Gregory Wilson (to his magician's email address) to see if he could help me understand somethings that were not explained on the video-instructions but got no response.

Overall, very frustrated and disappointed
[quote]On Jan 17, 2018, pegasus wrote:
OOTW is not always suited to my performing situations. It is long windded and thereís no getting away from the fact. Itís particularly not suited to noisy Ďbarí environments where a table isnít always freely available. So this is a great effect to perform in those conditions. [/quote]

If you can't dance, don't blame the floor.
[quote]On Jan 18, 2018, CR_Shelton wrote:
[quote]On Jan 17, 2018, pegasus wrote:
OOTW is not always suited to my performing situations. It is long windded and thereís no getting away from the fact. Itís particularly not suited to noisy Ďbarí environments where a table isnít always freely available. So this is a great effect to perform in those conditions. [/quote]

If you can't dance, don't blame the floor. [/quote]

Great quote. We have a David Brent amongst us.
Just received.... it is actually what I tought when I watched the demo.
It is easy to do and some handlings are presented on the video even if I actually think the Vallarino s original routine is the best.
The only downgrade is that the deck can easily loose what makes it work so has to be retreated in a while.
Slightly late to the party on this one, but I like it a lot. There's been quite a bit of debate about this v. OOTW. To my mind they are really different effects. Where Offworld wins for me is its versatility in terms of performance spaces. I love OOTW but it really suits a seated at a table context which isn't the way I normally work (though I'd love to!). I think this is one of those very clever sideways steps on an effect which works really well. Full review here: http://www.bicycle-cards.co.uk/2018/05/01/jp-vallarino-offworld-review/
Just got this and do like it. Been getting a good reaction. Very clever with a few variations. Though what did manufacturer do with all those Bicycle jokers that were left out :-)
Offworld Ė Jean Pierre Vallarino

Product description : Out of this world is a very famous plot in magic, with many variations around on the market but Jean Pierre Vallarino has now released his version of it. In this one, whatís very cool is that people can see the result of what they predict directly. Basically, you show a deck face up and you ask people what do they think is the color of the next card. They answer and you prove that theyíre right ! You can do this as many times as you want and they will always be correct ! Youíll have several routines included in the explanations. But is it worth your hard earned money ? Letís find out together.

Price and where to buy it : This is sold at $39.95 and you can find it in nearly every Murphy's magic partner !

What you get : The packaging you receive is very good, a red cardboard box with gold metallic ink on it, it doesnít do much to the trick but itís always good to have a nice packaging. Inside, youíll find a link for an online video, and it is very good because it has live performances, several routines included and the best of the best: Greg Wilson is teaching the routine so it couldnít be better ! I really liked the video. You also get a gimmicked deck which is not setup but takes minutes to setup (you can also modify it a bit before setting it up so it will make the reset easier if you mess up the cards but itís not mandatory). Once setup, the deck is very easy to use and allows you to perform multiple routines but my favorite one is the first one taught by Greg. Itís complete and very interesting in the way itís made. Overall, for the price, Iím quite happy, I like this way more than I thought I would be.

Teaser : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euAlgbLQn-U

The pros and the cons : Here is the core of my review, let's begin with the cons, as I will usually be doing, I prefer to keep the good things for the end.

THE CONS :
● This is a fully gimmicked deck, so you wonít be able to use it for anything else than an out of this world type routine. This is important because itís another gimmicked deck to carry around.
● Since the deck is gimmicked, you wonít be able to hand it out, which is not the case with a OOTW routine with a regular deck.

THE PROS :
● What I like with this routine is that you get to show the outcome of their prediction directly after they call it, which is not an usual thing with OOTW routine. Usually, you have all the cards face down and you reveal the outcome at the end, here, you show it after they call it.
● The deck is very ingenious in the way itís gimmicked so it will allow you to do several things with it, Iím sure you will come up with your own ideas with it once you find the secret.
● The way the routines are structured allows you to be instantly reset for the next table. This is very interesting meaning you wonít have to do dirty work and itís a nice thing because you donít want to handle the deck too much in order to not screw up the stack.
● When you find out the secret, you will be able to create your gimmicked deck out of any back design you want so you can adapt it to the cards youíre using.

Overall rating : This is a very good Out of this World, I really like the gimmick and they way the routine were constructed, I just canít see myself carrying this special deck only for this effect, 3/4 hearts.

As for the difficulty level, if you can push a card on a deck, you can do this, 1/5 stars.

Similar products : There are many Out of this World routines out there, I pretty much like the basic routine with a regular deck created by Paul Curry.

If you liked this review, make sure to check all my other ones on my website: http://lesavisdalexis.wixsite.com/reviews