(Close Window)
Topic: Cup & Ball: (props) ; Scott Alexander Penguin Live
Hi there,

To keep this brief.. I cannot seem to find a wand strong enough to be able to lift the ball from outside of the cup to the top the cup. (If you know what I mean).

Can anybody point me in the right direction? I have a chop cup... perhaps I require a new cup..or wand.. or a new set atogether.

Thank you very much.
You will probably have to have a custom wand made for you....
I'm not aware of any (commonly found) wands that are m******c, as I've seen very few routines involving something like that. I think it would end up being noticeable to a spectator either because (a) it's a "just right" amount, and you have to move slowly, or (b) it's strong, and you have to get it to hand without noticing (and then it's in hand, not on top of the cup).

Perhaps I'm just misunderstanding what it is you're trying to achieve.
Perhaps I will do something with paper cups similar to what Craig Petty does in his "Chop" routine with the bill in lemon. Geez .. I had no clue it would be so hard to find.
I would hazard a guess that you're probably understanding me correctly. I simply want to lift the object to the top of the cup from the outside.
I'm not familiar with how Chop! works, so I can't comment on it specifically. Perhaps you might be able to find similar workings in a TT, PK ring, or one of the recent similar releases?
Search rare earth midgets.
Porper makes a really good one
This does not answer your question as posed, however,if you are not above a little DIY:

I made a chop wand out of 3/8" (interior) copper pipe into which I inserted a 3/8" wooden dowel cut down to accommodate two strong 3/8" x 1/2" magnets (https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D68-N52&cat=168) on either side. I wrapped it along the long edge of 3" black buckram--nice texture on buckram, good grip--book tape (https://www.amazon.com/Colored-Premium-Cloth-Binding-Repair-BookGuard/dp/B00W3SRRKI. This 3" tape is wider than necessary for 3/8" pipe so I trimmed to fit with a razor blade)and then put some white tape(sealing in the magnets) on the ends and wound a short section around each end for that 'smart, finished look.'

Now, in practice: By pushing the cup (now covering the ball on the table) to one side the ball will be close to the other side of the cup. Use the chop wand to attract the covered ball and 'walk it' up to the bottom of the inverted cup and leave it there. Then pantomime walking it down the other side using some humorous presentational pretext or other. Place the wand down and take an obvious peek to see if the gambit has worked, though you will likely feel the ball as it moves with the walking wand to the top of the inverted cup. If so, move on with your routine. If not, do the procedure again.

Ta-da!