(Close Window)
Topic: New Member Adelaide, Australia
Hey Everyone,

My name is Luke and am 38 years old from Australia. Fairly new to magic. Ive been practising for a couple of years now. My general repertoire is foam balls, card tricks, thumb tricks and a few other things. Just got the Spider pen pro and am trying to learn not to break the thread every 10 seconds.

Majority of my card work is forced or double or triple lifts. I improvise most tricks and just make it up as I go along. I don't have set routines. Enjoy those who try and stump me by not playing along with the rules. My foam balls I use as a way of starting a conversation with strangers. Throw a red ball around long enough curiously gets them. Thumb work is normally salt and liquid and occasionally thrown in a cigarette butt etc. levitation is the next thing Im looking at doing. Hence the Spider pen pro. Also Im really wanting to learn the hummer floating card trick if anyone can point me in the best direction or advice.

Looking at adding more tricks to my arsenal. Would like to add a bit of mental-ism. Most of what I do is close up at parties with little room for setting things up. So its literally what I can carry in my pockets and perform. Really loving it.

Here to get advice and hopefully at some point be able to help others out as time goes on.

Love to hear from any other Adelaide Magicians and anyone else who cares to say hi.

Luke
Welcome LUKEADLAUS,

Sounds like you are building skills quickly.

When you start writing scripts, you'll get fewer folks who don't "play by the rules". Playing it off the cuff doesn't provide the direction needed to keep them on the path.

Best of fun.

-Mary Mowder
Greetings LUKEADLAUS!

You'll find a lot of experienced performers here willing to share their hard-earned knowledge. After 50 legitimate posts you will be able to access the Secret Sessions area where more detailed information is shared. It's well worth it!
Welcome :)
G'Day Luke! (I've never been "down under". but, by association, I've learned to speak a bit of the language!!) I must say! You speak English very well for a foreigner!!! (hee hee)

My dear friend (and our "official greeter") Mary, has offered some very good advice regarding "off the cuff" performing. She is a working professional, with LOTS of experience.

Perhaps I can add a word or two that will help guide you. The following is a quotation from the writings of the late S. H. Sharpe. Mr. Sharpe was not a world famous performer, BUT, he understood "magic" very well. He wrote:

"Those who think that magic consists of doing tricks, are strangers to magic. Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained."

The TARBELL COURSE IN MAGIC, was written by a very well qualified magician, in 1927. It is now available FREE, (pbs). Doc Tarbell wrote a series of lessons, that will save you a lot of "trial & error" (and, money!!!) I know that it certainly helped to introduce me, to performing, when I began, in the early 1940s.

I'm retired from a lifetime of performing. Much of my show, "came" from Tarbell! I made a good living with magic.

The course, written almost a hundred years ago, will help you to learn the PRINCIPLES of MAGIC. You'll need to bring those PRINCIPLES, "up to date" as you progress. If you really want to learn how to perform magic, and, not just be a guy who does tricks, you need to understand the PRINCIPLES!!! I had the actual lessons printed on paper! I don't know how to "contact" pbs, but, someone here, I'm sure, can tell you.

I'm off to breakfast.....

Dick