(Close Window)
Topic: World Cup 2018
Expectations? Hopes? Predictions?

I have no idea what to expect or predict, but as usual, I am rooting for England and/or Mexico, as has been the case for over thirty years.

England probably doesn't have a chance, but would still be my favorite. I'm a traditionalist. If baseball became the most beloved sport in the world, I would like the USA to win occasionally, just to remind the world that it is OUR sport, our invention, our (former) national pastime. So football (soccer) would do very well to be reminded that it once was ENGLAND'S sport, their invention, their (still) national pastime. Who cares about royal weddings? Let Eng-ur-land win the World Cup this year!

Mexico? Well, besides the fact that Mexico is our neighbor (the USA's neighbor, not Germany's), they have always been a favorite of mine. That they beat Germany in the first game was food for many jokes in class yesterday. I wouldn't mind Germany winnings the whole thing again (but they won't), but I surely enjoyed poking fun at Germany's loss.

Prediction: the Angels in extra innings.
Without Paul Germany is nothing!

I am of course required to root for Spain if I wish to stay married. Should Spain lose and Italy still be involved my buddy is Italian so there ya go. Not so much predictions I admit.
Iím rooting for Iceland. Go Vikings!
Iíve been an England natl team fan since the 90s. Though they pulled out a win yesterday, their general level of play didnít leave me very hopeful of going very far.

I just saw one of the best passes Iíve ever seen, by Senegal, vs Poland.
My favorites are Brazil, Argentina and Portugal; I also don't mind Spain. Missing some of the bigger names from four years ago like Wayne Rooney and Balotelli. I hope the bigger games match the excitement and suspense of the Spain-Portugal match.
Germany is out.

I mean, wow!
Spain and Argentina. I have no idea who will win the cup but those are the ones I'm watching.
This is as wide open a World Cup as I have ever seen. The traditional powers have not looked particularly strong. Argentina with Messi were on the brink of elimination in the group stage and still look vulnerable. Spain, Brazil and France all look like they could be beaten on any day. Oh yeah, the favorites, Germany, get eliminated in a 2-0 defeat to South Korea.

Belgium alone among the pre-tourney favorites has lived up to its billing and they look like the team to beat at this point.

Croatia has probably been the biggest surprise among the teams advancing from the group stage. However, it's hard to call them a surprise team given the number of first team players from Europe's top leagues they put on the field.

Perennial underachiever England has also been very good and it will be interesting to see how they fare against Belgium on Thursday. If Harry Kane keeps scoring goals England has a chance. Unfortunately, both sides are likely to play a number of subs having already clinched their spots in the knockout stage, so we may not get a true sense of how these sides stack up against each other.

This thing is wide open and up to 10 teams have a legitimate shot at winning it all.
...and boy, Mexico sure laid an egg today losing 3-0 to Sweden. I guess the football gods allowed them to advance due to the unlikely German loss to Korea just so they could go out in the round of 16...AGAIN.
It is to the round of 16 and time for the big time teams to show up.
I'm taking England for the Cup
First theyíll have to defeat Columbia, and then face either Sweden or Switzerland in the quarter-final.

Then, if they win that game, theyíll be facing either Spain, Russia, Croatia or Denmark in the semi-final (depending on which of those teams advance).

Finally, depending on other results, in the final they will come up against one of the following: Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, France, Uruguay, Portugal, Japan, or Belgium (who just beat England in the last of their group stage matches).

Itís a tough call, but Iíve traditionally always rooted for England.
Here's an interview conducted during the WC with Pele :)

http://www.theunticket.com/fake-pele-hates-george-6-19-18/
Tomorrow Argentina plays France. Anyone think Messi will show up?

Spain and Russia on Sunday. I'm pulling for Spain. Any thoughts?
I'm predicting France to beat Argentina, and Russia to knock Spain out of the Cup.
Really? I thought of Russia as one of the weaker teams.
[quote]On Jun 29, 2018, arthur stead wrote:
I'm predicting France to beat Argentina, and Russia to knock Spain out of the Cup. [/quote]

So far you're half right! I hope you stay at 50%.
[quote]On Jun 30, 2018, Dannydoyle wrote:
Really? I thought of Russia as one of the weaker teams. [/quote]
They do have home field advantage.
I'm a little surprised by the extra time.

Spain has a poor record against host counties I'll say that!
[quote]On Jun 29, 2018, arthur stead wrote:
I'm predicting France to beat Argentina, and Russia to knock Spain out of the Cup. [/quote]

Your predicting skills are dead on so far. Much better than my rooting for skills!

Anyone want a particular team eliminated? It seems all I have to do is root for them.

As an unrelated side note this year I hate the Cubs and hope they lose.
Tomorrow I'm going for Mexico beating Brazil, and Belgium beating Japan. Hopefully the referee at the Brazil game will see through Neymar's constant diving and play-acting and punish him for it.
Https://i.imgur.com/pa1C2Kj.mp4
I think Mexico has a chance, barring the Doyle curse now.
Neymar Problem Solved:
Sorry ... trying to make the photo bigger but don't know how.
Here's a big win -

https://nypost.com/2018/07/02/boys-soccer-team-rescued-from-cave-9-days-after-going-missing/
Brazil 2, Mexico 0. The Doyle curse works again!
I'm thinking of going into business!
I need you to root for Colombia tomorrow, so that England will go through ...
Go England!
Just for the record, my prediction for tomorrow is that Switzerland will beat Sweden, and England will dispatch Colombia. So far I've got 3 out of 4 correct!
[quote]On Jul 2, 2018, arthur stead wrote:
I need you to root for Colombia tomorrow, so that England will go through ... [/quote]

Let's put the curse to the test. GO COLUMBIA!
At 75 minutes it is interesting!
Any other requests? Also got rid of the specter of shootout for them.
Oof, I had a client walk in early for a meeting that required I stop watching England vs Colombia in the 88th minute. Oh well, forgot we might have extra time when I scheduled it. One great game after another. Looking forward to Friday's matches.
Many thanks, Danny! I'll be relying on you when the quarter-finals begin on Friday!
Well I only use my powers for good.
Hey Danny, Iím getting my request in early for the Doyle Effect. On Friday, Iíd like France to beat Uruguay, and Belgium to beat Brazil.

Thanks in advance!
Danny Doyle, where are you? I need your magical powers to root for Uruguay and Brazil tomorrow ...
I can't find the actual clip, but I saw Beckham and Deadpool watching television together;

DEADPOOL: Who are you following?

BECKHAM: England!

DEADPOOL: I mean, after they lose.
I don't get it.
France v Belgium = Belgium

Russia v Croatia = Croatia
Sweden v England = Sweden

Croatia v Sweden = Sweden

Belgium v Sweden = Tough call, but I'll go with Belgium

KJ
If thatís who is in the final, I would go with Belgium, too. However, I think Russia will beat Croatia in the semi-final tomorrow. And although Sweden will be very difficult to overcome, Iím guessing England might just beat them in their semi-final match. Probably on penalties after extra time.

So that makes the semi-finals France vs. Belgium, and Russia vs. England.

This World Cup has been full of surprises, so who can really tell?
I don't think England will get to the next level. They were not as good as Colombia, they sqeaked through that game, and Colombia is not as good as Sweden. Anything could happen, but don't hold your breath.
Germany, Spain, Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, Portugal Ö all previously considered potential winners Ö have already been knocked out. So anything is possible in this World Cup!
Anything is possible, but none of those teams were better than Sweden or Belgium. When the tournament first started, it was clear to me that those two teams were the best. No guarantees, but if they had playoffs, like best of five, those two teams would likely come out on top.

I wonder what vegas odds are?

KJ
Here are the vegas odds:

2018 FIFA World Cup
FIFA World Cup 2018 - Outright Winner
France +220
Belgium +260
England +400
Croatia +550
Russia +2000
Sweden +2200

I don't agree.
[quote]On Jul 6, 2018, 1KJ wrote:
Here are the vegas odds:

2018 FIFA World Cup
FIFA World Cup 2018 - Outright Winner
France +220
Belgium +260
England +400
Croatia +550
Russia +2000
Sweden +2200

I don't agree.[/quote]
In that case, it sounds like an opportunity to make some money.
Could be. I made millions by NOT gambling, but to each their own.

KJ
Speaking of betting: Zlatan Ibrahimovic has challenged his former teammate David Beckham to a wager before tomorrowís England/Sweden quarter-final. Zlatan said that if Sweden wins, Beckham must buy him anything he wants from Ikea (for his newly acquired mansion in Los Angeles).

Beckham countered by saying that if England wins, Zlatan must accompany him to a football match at Wembley, wearing an England shirt, and enjoying fish and chips at half time.
England 2, Sweden 0. Through to the semi-final! They will face either Croatia or Russia, depending on who wins that game. I'm rooting for Russia, even though Croatia have many more skilled players. They looked pretty average in their previous match. Whereas Russia have home advantage ...
Russia beaten by Croatia in a penalty shout-out after extra time. So that means the semi-final games next week are:

Belgium vs France and England vs Croatia.

Anyone fancy an England/Belgium game in the final?
I think you are right, England v Belgium.

My pick is still Belgium, but now it's clear that any of these countries can have a good or bad day, so Belgium v France is not a given for Belgium.
Even though Russia wasn't meant to go far, it was sad to see them lose. I speak/understand other languages, so I was watching Telemundo in Spanish from around 4:30 am till the game started at 7:00 am my time. Not one mention of how terrible Putin is, collusion, or any other political crap. They spent the whole time talking about the hospitality of the Russians, how beautiful the country is, etc. I didn't get that perspective from watching US English based programming.
Apart from the live game broadcasts, the best coverage has been (and still is) on RT TV. They have excellent background, analysis and insight from Peter Schmeichel, Stan Collymore, etc. Plus fabulous interviews with past World Cup legends. And very engaging reporters in amongst the crowds, fan zones, pubs, etc. Jose Mourinho is also part of the reporting team, making predictions about each teamís strengths and weaknesses.

Itís made each match so much more exciting, and almost makes you feel like youíre right there.

I urge you to watch RT, starting about an hour before each remaining game. And also immediately afterwards. Also check out their news programs every match day evening. The first 15 minutes or so are always devoted to the games played earlier that day.

Hereís a link to the World Cup 2018 page on their website:

https://www.rt.com/sport/

Under ďShowsĒ youíll also find links to the Peter Schmeichel and Stan Collymore shows.
LOVE that Brazil is out!
[quote]On Jul 9, 2018, RNK wrote:
LOVE that Brazil is out! [/quote]

Why? Did Brazil kick your dog, or something?
[quote]On Jul 9, 2018, ed rhodes wrote:

Why? Did Brazil kick your dog, or something? [/quote]

No. I have a few acquaintances from Brazil, though I like them, they are VERY arrogant when it comes to talking about Brazil and soccer. Not humble at all!
After watching some of Neymar's antics, I can't say I'm sorry they're gone.

England has had difficulty with Sweden over the last few decades, and while past performance doesn't guarantee present results, I was still suspect re: England's chances. Good for them, and great that they finally won a WC elimination match (vs. Colombia) via penalty shootout!

No. I have a few acquaintances from Brazil, though I like them, they are VERY arrogant when it comes to talking about Brazil and soccer. Not humble at all! [/quote]

I donít like sports at all, but Iíve noticed that NO fan is ever ďhumbleĒ about their teamís abilities or chances. Go to a Chivago bar and bad mouth the Cubs if you want to see arrogance!
[quote]On Jul 10, 2018, ed rhodes wrote:

No. I have a few acquaintances from Brazil, though I like them, they are VERY arrogant when it comes to talking about Brazil and soccer. Not humble at all! [/quote]

I donít like sports at all, but Iíve noticed that NO fan is ever ďhumbleĒ about their teamís abilities or chances. Go to a Chivago bar and bad mouth the Cubs if you want to see arrogance! [/quote]

You're joking right? Have toy ever gone into a Chicago bar and done this? What you end up with is a conversation by a whole lot of people about "loveable losers". You picked perhaps the least arrogant fans in sports to make this ridiculous claim.

Liking the team and support for them is not arrogance. So I ask again have toy ever actually done this?

For a guy who doesn't like sports at all you seem to want to speak with authority.
I've never done it with that exact team. In fact, I've never done it with any team. But I HAVE watched simple conversations turn into screaming matches when THEIR team was badmouthed. If I misjudged Cubs fans, I apologize.
I am from Argentina so I am really ****ed with the national team, what a disaster it was. I think Brazil should have won for more opportunities but the Belgium goalie was fantastic.
Yesterday match was a beautiful one, I personally though Belgium would won, Argentina with a lousy squad was able to score 3 goals, however one mistake in the defense allowed France to went ahead and they hold it till the end. Mbappe is the figure of the World Cup, speed, attitude and a great ball handling future Golden boot in Europe (I did not like at the end when he took the ball and try to lose time carrying it from the Belgium players, this is petty, but it happened in soccer, I hope he become better at that)

Today I would like Croacia to win, even though neither of the teams impressed me, I do recognize Kane in the England team a very good and clever striker, maybe the best in the world cup. Will see

On a side note, what about CR paying for Juventus? They have already 2 forwards in Higuain and Dybala (both from Argentina Higuain like always did nothing, Dybala played 20 min), I wonder who they will sell, Juventus can not play with the 3 players trying to score.

Pablo
Oh well ... I was hoping to see England in the final on Sunday. But it's France vs. Croatia.

Should be a cracker of a match through!
[quote]On Jul 11, 2018, arthur stead wrote:
Oh well ... I was hoping to see England in the final on Sunday. But it's France vs. Croatia.

Should be a cracker of a match through! [/quote]
I'm sorry I've been feeling a lot under the weather and have not really been using my powers. But France sure is FAST! Not sure even my powers would have been much help.
I've generally stayed away but I've really enjoyed the games. Maybe I'll be a soccer fan yet.
Go Croatia!
[quote]On Jul 11, 2018, 1KJ wrote:
Go Croatia! [/quote]

+1!!!!!!
You wanna see some heroes?

[YouTube]NJ1g1DaKaG8[/YouTube]
Great video! Thanks for sharing, Stoneunhinged.
Forgive me for saying this, stoneunhinged, but I just don't buy it- it looked like a set-up to me.

They were all sitting around looking like they were watching grass grow, then they jump up all of a sudden and leave the building in about 10 seconds (while one guy just stays there and continues watching the game- I guess that there wasn't enough room for him on the truck), then all of a sudden 2 other guys run in just in time to see the winning(?) goal?

I believe in coincidences, but not two coincidences 15 seconds apart, coincidence number 1 being the alarm coming in 10 seconds before the goal and coincidence number 2 being the other 2 guys running in 1 second before the goal.

The internet lives on things that are done just for the camera.

And by the way, why was a camera positioned to film guys sitting around watching a football match, with enough dead space to film them all jumping into their outfits and getting into the trucks and driving away?

Coincidence number 3.

May the deity have mercy on my soul if I'm wrong.
Well, you can be forgiven, because it probably was staged. Sometimes things really are too good to be true, after all.
Thanks, stone- I didn't think that it was going to be that easy.
Great video Stone.

It didnít look staged at all to me. The cameras are on 24 hrs, and every fireman doesnít leave the station on every single call.

Tom
I wonít comment on the ďstagedĒ theory Ö but I will say Iím full of admiration for the way those firefighters jumped into action.
How much longer are these matches?
The final is tomorrow, Ed. France against Croatia.
Thanks.
France crowned winners after beating Croatia 4 -2 in the final. First France goal was from a free kick which shouldn't have been given (because it resulted from a dive), and the second France goal was from a dubious penalty call. Referee at first said no penalty, then was persuaded to check the VAR (a slow motion replay) and after watching for almost 2 minutes, finally changed his mind. Other than that, it was a great football match. Croatia gave everything they had, but having played many more hours than the French team, and having had one day less of rest, they just couldn't match the speed of the French counterattacks.

Overall, it was fantastic World Cup. Probably the best ever. RT TV had the most amazing coverage throughout the entire event. Kudos to Russia for their phenomenal effort and impeccable organization, and to the Russian people for being so welcoming and friendly.

Now that it's over, I'll be lost! Will have to resume normal life and get going on some long overdue housework, I suppose.
Message: Posted by: innercirclewannabe (Jul 21, 2018 03:30PM)
Can't agree it was the 'best world cup ever'. Then again that is very subjective. I thought the '82 World Cup was magical and and 1990 for obvious reasons if you are Irish. :D

The organisation of the tournament may not have been as impeccable as you seen on your TV screen. It was definitely well policed and that is a good thing. It was first rate for drama and for a lot of the big names making an early exit. The quality of football wasn't always the best.

Overall I enjoyed it.
[quote]On Jul 21, 2018, innercirclewannabe wrote:
Can't agree it was the 'best world cup ever'. Then again that is very subjective. I thought the '82 World Cup was magical and and 1990 for obvious reasons if you are Irish. :D

The organisation of the tournament may not have been as impeccable as you seen on your TV screen. It was definitely well policed and that is a good thing. It was first rate for drama and for a lot of the big names making an early exit. The quality of football wasn't always the best.

Overall I enjoyed it. [/quote]

Thatís all that matters in the end, isnít it?
Message: Posted by: innercirclewannabe (Jul 23, 2018 02:04PM)
Well yes... Only to a point though. Depends if we are speaking in the main about the drama of the WC, etc, or are we looking to extend it to a broader point regarding... Ah let's not!

You're right. That's all that matters. :)
Message: Posted by: innercirclewannabe (Jul 24, 2018 06:40AM)
By the way I should add that I was in Moscow for the final. I didn't secure tickets for the final but I did get to the fanzone. Now that was an experience!
All over now but I have some very good & not so good memories about the whole tournament.⚽️⚽️⚽️
#fifa2018😀