(Close Window)
Topic: "Out to Lunch"
I have performed many routines using this princpal. For this most part it has been of Dary'ls inspiration.

I suppose that I have never once heard mention of who the originator for the principal happens to be?

Can you help to provide some clarity folks?
Gratitude and a handshake my friends,r2
According to T. A. Waters, the common application of this, i. e., the East Indian boy climbing up a rope, was invented by Edward Bagshawe and appeared in his book, "Twenty Magical Novelties".
Max Maven posted the history on the Magic Talk forum a number of years ago. His post has been archived here: http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~roy/magictalk-wisdom/discussions/out_to_lunch.html

-Jim
Many thanks to both of you Brothers! This wraps this one up for me! I really appreciate the time it took you to get me a definitive answer....Gratitude & a handshake my friends~R2
The forerunner of the OUT TO LUNCH is a card switch with whole figure playing cards, which is to find for example in Eberhard Welper: DAS ZEITKÜRZENDE LUST- UND SPIELHAUS (Frankfurt 1694). The ½-card masking principle is used. A half card maskes the bottom card of the deck, as the whole figur cards differs from each other in the upper part of the figure.

Reinhard
The actual marketed version of "out to Lunch" was developed by Bob Ellis of West Virginia.
[quote]
On 2005-03-25 21:54, hugmagic wrote:
The actual marketed version of "out to Lunch" was developed by Bob Ellis of West Virginia.
[/quote]

If it was Bagshawe's Indian boy routine define "developed" :)

I once had one where the sign on the card was "Out on Strike!"

Still a brilliant principle, best ways of introducing it for workers are Greg. Wilson's "Stockholder" or Doc Eason's money clip versions.

Paul.
The Out to Lunch principle was invented by Clare Cummings and Bob Ellis. They were in the Service together in Boca Raton Florida. The year was 1945 and it was first advertised in the Linking Ring magazine in 1946. I knew Clare Cummings from the Abbott's Get Togethers. He performed as Milky the Clown in and around the Detroit area.
[quote]
On 2005-10-23 12:01, Ken McCreedy wrote:
The Out to Lunch principle was invented by Clare Cummings and Bob Ellis. They were in the Service together in Boca Raton Florida. The year was 1945 and it was first advertised in the Linking Ring magazine in 1946. I knew Clare Cummings from the Abbott's Get Togethers. He performed as Milky the Clown in and around the Detroit area.
[/quote]

You may wish to check out the link I posted last year further up in the thread. Max Maven has shown that the principle goes back much further than that.

-Jim
Addendum: At the page linked by Jim Maloney, above, there is a comment that "its been published in loads of basic magic books over the years. it is in the mark wilson book for sure."

True, but you'll never find it by searching for the Out To Lunch principle there. In "Mark Wilson's Complete Course In Magic", the required "method and master move", plus several tricks using the same working, are described in a section about "Genii Cards" (on pp 164 - 173).

BobLeedom (AT comcast DOT net)
Glenwood, Maryland
Ca you get Indian boy up the rope out to lunch anywhere now?
I was "surfing" and landed here! I bought Out To Lunch about 1946, and, had it printed on my business cards. It was great. People would KEEP my card!

I used a "bunch" of those cards.

IIRC the original instructions listed Clare Cummings, and, Bob Ellis a "inventors". I later got to know Clare, at Abbott Get Togethers. Ellis, IIRC, was a mortician in West Virginia.

I knew a Jim Maloney in the Navy. I even remember Jim and I playing a date for a PURIM Festival!

I've known Max Maven for 40 years. He's scrupulous about the history of magic! So, if he tells it, "it must be so!"

Walter Gibson, who "ghosted" the Mark Wilson CCIM, had written more books about magic than anyone else!. I suspect that he drew on older sources, and, renamed principles.
My instructions say, DeVoe Magic Den.
Bob Ellis was not a mortician but a politician and attorney in West Virgnia. But then again a mortician is close.
Hey Richard!

Thanks for the info on Bob Ellis! I, somehow, had "mortician" stuck in my mind.

This has been an interesting thread on the OTL principle. My only experience with it has been with the "1946" version.
If I remember correctly it was Bob Ellis and Clare Cummings who came up with the little hindu boy on the rope version.