The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Twin Dove Production from "Knots Off Silk." (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I like using one 36" silk for Twin Dove Production. Does anyone make "Knots Off Silk" with a 36" silk instead of a 24?"

Dynamike
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Mike, Duane Laflin, "laflinfamilymagic" sells a 36" version. That size silk comes with 3 holes. Here's a link to his site.

http://www.lockfamilymagic.com/public/Se......t=Search
Where the magic begins
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Bingo! Thank you Dave. Is it easy dyeing a silk black?
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I've never dyed a silk but I think it would be better to dye a white silk rather than a colored one. Bob Sanders is a silk guru so maybe he can give you some tips.

Another idea would be to contact Peter White at P&A silks. He stocks the Knots off but not in 36". He does specialty work and will cut holes for you at $5.00 per hole. He would probably make up a 36" black set for you. Tell him I sent you. His number is 518-537-8749

http://www.pasilks.com/
Where the magic begins
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Dynamike,

Today, good white silks are dyed white! Bleached silk is much cheaper and easier to dye. (It also has a very limited life.)

My suggestion is to not use anything larger than 30" with a dove production. Even tying two 24" silks together will be easier to manage. Do the math.

One 3' silk = 9 square feet.

Two 24" silks = 8 square feet! Yet they give much better coverage in the center.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- I have 36" black silks in 3', 6' and 9' sizes. Dancers use them.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Hey Bob, I like that math problem. You may not believe this, but at first I was telling myself two 24" silk carry more area than a 36" silk. I had to do the problem twice to get the correct answer. It is like a mind twister because at first I was thinking 48" X 48" is more than 36" X 36". I thought you had the square feet answer wrong at first. lol

I have been practicing with those 24" inch silks you sent me. I like how the middle covers up more space with a 36" for the Twin Dove Production. I'm not using my mouth like others show. I'm just using my hands. The w*** (no string) is covered up better because the middle of the 36" silk. The w*** shows more in the middle when the two 24" are tied together.

Another reason I want to use the 36" is because I want to use only one silk for the Knots Off Silk. The showmanship will not look as good if I took the knots off only one of the 24" silks. Plus after performing Knots Off Silk with one or two of the 24"silks, the audience might be wondering why am I tieing another knot as both 24" are tied together. After using a 36" for Knots Off Silk, it can easy blend into Twin Dove Production. The audience might even think the doves came out of the holes. lol

I am also working on the quadruple production (two twin productions back to back immediately.) The 36" helps the second and first w*** to be hidden more.

Using 100% w*** is more comfotable to me because it matches my shirt and I feel a little nervous string will break. lol

I will not need to dye a silk. I called Duane's business. They can custom make a black 36" Knots Off Silk with two holes.

If I am wrong on anything, please let me know, you know more than me, especially math. lol

Dynamike
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I think it probably comes down to whatever you are comfortable with. I do a 20th century silk routine with 24" silks. Picture that held between my hands and then I do a dove production from that. Lot's of silk and not a chance of flashing the dove.
Where the magic begins
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I already ordered it from DoveLite Silk Magic yesterday. It does not come with foam ponytail holders, it comes with copper chain instead.
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
TWIN DOVE PRODUCTION- I'm planning to learn this trick in the next few weeks... Hopefully, it will be ready to perform by September or so... Smile

It looks like a very difficult thing to do...I hope I can learn it soon. Smile

Wanlu
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Wanlu, there is a certain amount of practice required to do the double dove, but if you can do a regular single steal, this isn't that much different. In fact, depending on the method you use (there are several) the double dove could even be easier to make the steal.
Where the magic begins
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
To me the most critical measurement in doing a Twin dove production is the length of the magicians' arms. I'm not tall (5'9"). Using a 36" silk for me always results in the center sagging when I cross my arms to show both sides of the silk.

I do often use the silk from the Knots-Off Silk for a dove production. But I have learned to cheat! I don't hold it by the corners. That allows me to get a 36" silk back to about a 28" silk.

Dave, I did that a few days ago at the Assembly 168 Lecture. Did anyone even notice that I held the corners with my pinky and palm? But I also held the silk closer to the middle with my index finger and my thumb. It effectively gave me about 8" less silk when I crossed my arms. (Short guys need the help!) It does allow me to use a 36" when necessary

Scheme!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Bob, noone mentioned it so I'd say it's a good method to use. If critical magicians don't see it, I don't think a lay audience will either.
Where the magic begins
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Dave,

That's good news. I just hate saying, "Pay no attention to the little man behind the curtain". LOL

Bob
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Dynamike,

I think your idea of doing a twin dove production with a 36" Knots Off silk is terrific. I used to do a double dove production with a 36" silk and I did it until the silk completely wore out. Blending it with another trick is smart. In some ways I think the double dove production is easier than a regular dove production because it's more automatic, no worries about finding the loop.

Good Luck. Sounds like a great act your working on.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I have been performing it for several months in my shows. As I mentioned earlier, I do not put the silk in my mouth for the twin dove production. But it gives me more of a problem pulling out the doves. My next step is to try placing the wire around back of my neck before I start. Pushing the wire in both hands forward might be a good way to work it. When the doves are shown I can probably hold them high over my head to display them for a few seconds as I am bringing the wire from around back of my neck to the front so I bring the doves down to set them on their perch as I keep everything hidden with the silk.

I have not worked on the quardruple prodution yet.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Dynamike,

I want to see that Quardruple production! LOL

Actually, on the other, I encourage you to hold your hands as high as you can. The more separation from the rest of your body, the more baffling I think the effect is.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
The Quardruple will take a lot of time but I'll let know when I put it together.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will try that method first.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2008-06-26 21:49, Bob Sanders wrote:
Dynamike,

I want to see that Quardruple production! LOL

Actually, on the other, I encourage you to hold your hands as high as you can. the more separation from the rest of your body, the more baffling I think the effect is.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

There is two major problems I have with the method I stated above. One is my shirt collar gets in the way. The other problem is the difficulty trying to grasp the wire leaving my dove vest going directly behind my neck.

But you guys have given me ideas in a different thread recently about making a quick dove release from a harness. I think I will be able to eliminate the mouth usage from the ideas you guys supported me with in that thread.

From all of your ideas in the different thread, it might lead to the "Quardruple Production". Please wish me luck.
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
I did a triple production one time. Total accident - a certain part of the apparatus got tangled with another and whammy! Audience thought it was part of the act, I had to react fast as to covering the next part of my act since the dove made an early appearance. *haha* isn't it great when mistakes turn into something!

-Alpha
dove-boy
View Profile
Special user
Joe Yu (Stage Name)
545 Posts

Profile of dove-boy
Hi Dynamike Smile

If you do not put the silk in your mouth for the twin dove production, Kenrick ICE Macdonald's 2 dove DVD- I Dove you Truly teaches that, you might want to check them out Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Twin Dove Production from "Knots Off Silk." (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL