The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Ben Harris revolutionises the card levitation - Enlightenment (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..25~26~27~28~29..37~38~39 [Next]
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3065 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Obvioulsy over-ruled
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2008-05-10 13:06, Black Tiger wrote:

To my knowledge, this is the first time a creator of an effect has been so open about the methodology prior to its release; with other expensive items you might get a brief description of the effect and would have to take your chances.

Too much info >>> Too much expectations. Less info >>> Less expectation. Smile

Quote:
On 2008-05-10 16:41, Ben Harris wrote:

If you want to activate the unit from a slightly greater distance, then use a stronger magnet. I've always said that.

Sorry, I beg to differ on this point. The solution to the problem doesn’t lie in using a bigger & stronger shift magnet. It lies within the Enlightenment gimmick. With a slight increase in the strength of the Enlightenment gimmick it will cause the gimmick to rise from a greater distance using the same suggested shift magnet. But this might not be possible to do in a prefabricated gimmick. Those who have the Enlightenment gimmick will know what I am talking about. I don't have the 'Enlightenment' but I know what I am talking about. Smile Smile

Quote:
On 2008-05-10 16:41, Ben Harris wrote:

But don't for one second imply that there has been any deliberate deception, because that just ****ing kills me.

Quote:
On 2008-05-10 17:37, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:

Welll....this is one effect that was not hyped. Ben tipped the method, released the specs, answered quetsions, put out a video demo, etc. He was upfront about it all. If anyone finds that the effect isn't for them, that's one thing. But to make accusations about being mislead is unfair and wrong.

Mr. Harris is a class act and a true gentleman. He has been honest and straightforward. Mr. Harris hasn’t misled anybody. In fact, he has very honestly exposed the working of the effect / gimmick to help you make your own well informed buying decision(s). All questions, including the tricky ones leading to straight exposure, have been answered honestly. What else do you need?

I have great regards for Mr. Harris and for my good friend Chris.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Bill Lhotta
View Profile
Veteran user
on top of a 14000' mountain in Colorado
357 Posts

Profile of Bill Lhotta
You can go to http://www.kjmagnetics.com/ if you are looking for a different sized magnet at a reasonable price. They also have rubber coated magnets for some of the sizes.

Cheers!

** Bill **
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2126 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Bill,

they are a great source for magnets. Great place if you want a bunch of different sizes to play with.

Ben
+Inventor of the world famous Floating Match+
+Author: Machinations (Vanishing Inc, 2020)+
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
Black Tiger
View Profile
New user
Hertfordshire, UK
27 Posts

Profile of Black Tiger
The way I see it, this is the bottom line: Ben has created a product that was given an unprecedented amount of information in the weeks/months leading up to its release - far, far more than any magic item before or since. That much is undeniable. In common with EVERY magic item out there, we, as magicians, make our own decisions on what to purchase and what to leave on the shelf.

You get an interest in something, you might do some research on it before parting with your hard-earned, you order it, you receive it and you read the instructions before playing around with it. At this point, you will either like it or you won't. It will either fit in with your style or it won't. It will either get used or it won't.

My opinion is that Ben has given out more than enough details about Enlightenment so that a potential customer can make a well-informed decision. I should add, however, that I have not ordered Enlightenment yet so I am not in a position to make valid judgements on whether the information given was accurate or not. But I wll say that for a creator of an effect to deliberately mislead customers in order to secure sales, would be stupidity to the most extreme level. Magic is a niche market and creators as well as magic dealers simply cannot afford to lose the trust and loyalty of customers. If I receive poor service from a particular dealer, I will likely go elsewhere next time and that dealer would have lost my custom. If I purchase a poor effect from a creator and feel I have been misled, I will be very wary of their future creations. In short, I will not trust them. Creators and dealers can ill afford this and to deliberately mislead your customer base is akin to committing financial suicide.

No one can expect Ben to give out every piece of information regarding the method for Enlightenment. There will always be bits that are left out (intentionally or otherwise). This is to be expected; and as we all know already, the amount of details freely available for Enlightenment is unprecedented.

When it comes to making magic purchases, especially the more expensive ones like Enlghtenment, I will NEVER place a pre-order. I always wait for the dust to settle and take the opportunity to read reviews before making my decision. If you place pre-orders for something or order it very shortly after its release, you run the very real risk of being disappointed. Why be the guinea pig when plenty of others will gladly do it? Do you really need Enlightenment so badly that you can't wait a few days for reviews to surface before deciding?
r1ch-oxford
View Profile
Regular user
Oxford, England
182 Posts

Profile of r1ch-oxford
Hi Guys

My Enlightment arrived yesterday and I been playing around with it. I must say as a working professional I really don't see how this is practical in the real world. I agree you could angle it correctly so that the spectator holding the deck does not look under the card, however if there is more than one spectator I am fairly sure at least one of the other spectators would bend down and look at what is happening underneath. You have to get so close with the magnet to make things happen that it actually takes away from the levitation. What sells really great levitation effects to a lay audience is the isolation of the object when it is hovering. An example being when you are able to take a step back from a floating bank note with an ITR.

I do not feel Ben has misled me in anyway, I applaud the information that was available before I decided to purchase the effect and I have no ill feelings towards any of the marketing of the effect. I also do not think it is overpriced, there has clearly been an enormous amount of work and development that has gone into this unique method and is worth the price. The booklets have also had a lot of thought put into them and are fantastic.

In conclusion though, this will not be taking up any of my valuable pocket space at any gigs in the future, ill stick with the ITR.

Rich
Rick
View Profile
Elite user
Va.
452 Posts

Profile of Rick
So far just 2 days now..ive had 2 good ways of using this in a patter form that is..im trying to think outside the box and incorp this into multiple effects...one, if you have a sanctum card as I do...he,he, this can be very dark....once again don't give up...just think when you got your cups and balls you said...now what......remember..but then with some thinking..you probably created good magic ,,,your own way with it...thats the way you have to look at this effect...ENLIGHTMENT. Thanks Ben....keep riding bro...
Tim Jahn
View Profile
Special user
South Florida
911 Posts

Profile of Tim Jahn
Well it looks like its sort of turning out to be 50/50 in the love it or hate it department.

We will see how it turns out.

Tim
Andrew, (ASW)
The effects on the DVD and lecture notes are far beyond your abilities. (They require mastery of the mechanic's grip.) It would only break your heart.
Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz.......(This post has got to be in my top 5.)
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
The hate it scream louder than the like it.
Al Straker
View Profile
Grammar Host
Australia
1130 Posts

Profile of Al Straker
Hi All,

Wow this thread has certainly 'developed' since I last visited it!!

I must add that I agree that Chris is an honest poster and very fair.

For those who say Enlightenment is impractical - I performed this at a gig on Sunday for a mother's day function. These were families of mixed age groups seated at various size tables for lunch. I avoided doing this for the large round tables but did perform it for the smaller tables where angles could be managed and everyone would still have a good view. You do have to keep the deck in an appropriate position (fairly low and close to the specs) in performance but that is part of the deal with most good rising levitations right??

I based the routine on Ambitious card and used Enlightenment to close it. My patter throughout was about the card RISING to the top. I rung in the Enlightenment deck at the end just before it was needed.

When I did the Enlightenment phase I introduced it by saying "People often ask me... What happens if the card is already on top when you make it rise?" and then went into Enlightenment. I had someone else check the signed card again and place it face up on top themselves. I then did enlightenment (using the PS). As it landed back on the deck I gestured towards them to pick it up again and check it again. As they did this I reached into my pocket for my card box, (oops wrong pocklet) and switched out the deck. I then immediately handed the deck to someone else to be checked. There was no heat on the switch as you could imagine and everything was left clean and examinable.

So how did it play?? Well... no one dropped to their knees and started woshipping. IT'S JUST ANOTHER F***KING MAGIC TRICK TO THEM. However it is a very STRONG and FUN one! The fact they place the card on top themselves and then pick it up afterwards it what sells it. This routine was very well received by my family audiences and showed that it IS a worker that can be used in the real world. It certainly created a 'buzz' reaction and a lot of interest. I'm sure with more work and polish on my part it will be even better.

So Ben, thanks man I really like your trick!! It's a keeper.

Cheers,
Al
Al Straker
Resident Mystery Entertainer at Multiple Venues
Music & Mentalism Specialty Act 'Completely Mental'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyGhApqnG7I

(Old clip, show has changed quite a bit since then!)

Jazz & Contemporary Musician/Composer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnN3JNmeKns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU_zfOvpneA
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2008-05-11 20:59, thehawk wrote:
The hate it scream louder than the like it.

Smile

That can be directly attributed to parting with too much of prerelease information on the effect, which greatly raised ones expectations. A good lesson learnt!

Nevertheless it did have a booming sale! Smile

Smile
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Silvio Solaris
View Profile
Inner circle
Xtreme Magic
1110 Posts

Profile of Silvio Solaris
Unfortunately magic and its 'trade secrets' are too much exploited thanks to the web. It is an epidemic destroying the art of magic. Please don't tell me that even some laymen who know the secret the performance will overshadow the 'method'.

My goal is to join forces with magicians to go against the exposure on the www.
I am surprised that nobody in our profession has yet taken responsibility and do something about it.

Check this out: http://www.squidoo.com/crissangelmagicsecrets

That's just one of many good tricks revealed....

Especially the secret of a new revolutionary and genious method like Enlightenment should not be treated lightly and the method freely discussed.

Ben, Gentlemen I think it is time to move this subject into a private forum and delete this post.

My two cents.

Silvio
Magical Wishes

Silvio Solaris

'Is all that we see and seem but a dream within a dream?' E.A.Poe
Silvio Solaris
View Profile
Inner circle
Xtreme Magic
1110 Posts

Quote:
On 2008-05-11 09:52, r1ch-oxford wrote:
Hi Guys

My Enlightment arrived yesterday and I been playing around with it. I must say as a working professional I really don't see how this is practical in the real world. I agree you could angle it correctly so that the spectator holding the deck does not look under the card, however if there is more than one spectator I am fairly sure at least one of the other spectators would bend down and look at what is happening underneath. You have to get so close with the magnet to make things happen that it actually takes away from the levitation. What sells really great levitation effects to a lay audience is the isolation of the object when it is hovering. An example being when you are able to take a step back from a floating bank note with an ITR.

I do not feel Ben has misled me in anyway, I applaud the information that was available before I decided to purchase the effect and I have no ill feelings towards any of the marketing of the effect. I also do not think it is overpriced, there has clearly been an enormous amount of work and development that has gone into this unique method and is worth the price. The booklets have also had a lot of thought put into them and are fantastic.

In conclusion though, this will not be taking up any of my valuable pocket space at any gigs in the future, ill stick with the ITR.

Rich

For someone who has never seen a levitation, like the dollar bill up close, would certainly jump when he sees Enlightenment for the first time...
You can start with enlightenment which method is superclean (kudos to Ben) and then do the dollar Bill. Nobody would suspect any ITR. Or you could start to levitate the bill with enlightenment and after the spectators examined the bill do the 'hovering'. That even gives you enough misdirection to attach your anchor.
Magical Wishes

Silvio Solaris

Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2008-05-12 01:34, Silvio Solaris wrote:
* Especially the secret of a new revolutionary and genious method like Enlightenment should not be treated lightly and the method freely discussed.

* Ben, Gentlemen I think it is time to move this subject into a private forum and delete this post.

Very well put. I second that.

Smile
Silvio Solaris
View Profile
Inner circle
Xtreme Magic
1110 Posts

Thanks Narandra,

Your slogan should be written on top of every magic instruction/trick that is sold as 'reminder':

MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.

...and 'invisibly' tatooed on every magicians forehead...ok, maybe we don't have to go that far Smile

Seriously Gentlemen, if some of us would join forces we can definatively achieve something to cut down the exposure on the www. That issue I adressed and was my first post here at the Café. I was quite surprised that a lot of the response was 'care less' and received comment's like: 'There is nothing you can do about it' and 'A good performer overshadows the method'...I don't think so. As soon as I get my project out of the baby shoes I want to dedicate part of my time to start a non-exposure campaign.
Magical Wishes

Silvio Solaris

Shodan
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man
663 Posts

Profile of Shodan
Hi Ben,

Unfortunately for me I had to order enlightenment and the PS from two different sources - Enlightenment has arrived but I'm still waiting on the magnet so all I can do is sit and think over the possibilities.

As with all tricks there are those who will like it and those that won't. I think that you're picking up a lot of unwarranted flack from those that were expecting "real magic" - or as close as ***ed to it - and were disappointed to find out that it is indeed "just" a trick.

The method was exactly what I was expecting and I was very pleased with the quality of the product I recieved. I was never that interested in the floating card - I do loads of card tricks, I want to levitate something DIFFERENT! However, you have demonstrated a floating card in the spectator's hand on the first demo video, and now there are those saying it can't be done, which I find bizarre. I imagine that its first and foremost about selecting the right audience member for the job (something which Ed Marlo wrote about - he even designed an opening routine specifically to identify these people!) and then, as you say, its about audience management.

So I am very much looking forward to recieving my PS magnet and getting to grips with a very cool little levitation effect.

All the best,
David.
"You don't go up to strangers with a stick and come at their head...introduce yourself first, then come at them with a stick." - David Williamson
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2008-05-12 04:36, Shodan wrote:
As with all tricks there are those who will like it and those that won't. I think that you're picking up a lot of unwarranted flack from those that were expecting "real magic" - or as close as ***ed to it - and were disappointed to find out that it is indeed "just" a trick.

A good 15 days before the release of 'Enlightenment' Ben had very explicitly stated that 'Enlightenment' was just a TRICK, nothing more, nothing less. Here is what Ben said:-

Quote:
On 2008-04-14 07:04, Ben Harris wrote:
No matter how clever the gimmick may or may not be, Enlightenment is still a trick. Nothing more, nothing less. And, like any trick, it's one that must be presented with conviction. It must be presented well. The gimmick is JUST A TOOL.

So where is the doubt?!

Smile
Sir Pharaul
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Sir Pharaul
The best part of the trick for me was the packaging. The prop was very well made and I can see why it cost so much. It was just not very practical for me and I don't see myself ever using it. Some people may like, I did not.
Black Tiger
View Profile
New user
Hertfordshire, UK
27 Posts

Profile of Black Tiger
Quote:
On 2008-05-12 08:34, Ustaad wrote:

A good 15 days before the release of 'Enlightenment' Ben had very explicitly stated that 'Enlightenment' was just a TRICK, nothing more, nothing less...

It beggars belief that anyone on these forums could, for even a split second, think Enlightenment was, somehow, REAL magic. I just can't believe some people need to be explicitly told that it's not real magic and just a trick. The mind boggles, it really does. Call me a cynic, but I am rapidly losing faith in the intelligence of your average human being. I am no genius, but... real magic?

Ok, this is how it is: there is no such thing as real magic. Please delete this post if that was exposure....
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3065 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I don't think one has to believe in magic to have hoped that somehow a magnetic field might have been harnessed in a way that someone had not previously thought likely or possible. I believe that a reference had been made in this discussion to the magnetic floating top which I would have thought impossible until I had seen it. Also while I continue to agree that Mr. Harris has been extraordinarily forthcoming, early promise was supplanted by latter facts. A quote from early in this discussion

"The spectator's can grab the card at ANY TIME. That is the real strength of this. You have a genuine levitation in that the card floats up and down, all under your control, and the spectators can GRAB the card at ANYTIME. There is nothing attached and nothing below, just the way it SHOULD be."

Does in anyone who owns this product believe the above statement to be entirely true in fact or spirit?

Let me end by saying I bought the product, was fairly certain what I was getting and do not feel cheated. I do however find this an interesting discussion about expectations and reality.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Ben Harris revolutionises the card levitation - Enlightenment (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..25~26~27~28~29..37~38~39 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL