The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Worst Trick You Have Purchased (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..17~18~19~20~21..29~30~31 [Next]
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On 2004-04-22 04:11, Myster wrote:
I have to thank you guys.This is by far the most laugh out loud funniest thread yet!

Myster,
I have to agree, however this thread will help other magic enthusiasts from making the same mistake we made.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
oombob
View Profile
Special user
Canada
844 Posts

Profile of oombob
The worst thing I purchased in recent memory would have to be John Kennedy's acrobatic matches. When this was first marketed it was sold using a nice looking "Magic Castle" matchbox. It has since been modified. The matchbox that I received was a plain rather cheap looking box of matches that had this awful looking web patterned tape wrapped around one end of it to supposedly hide the gimmick. I showed the matchbox to my four year old and he immediately asked why there was tape on the box. The routine has also been modified so that instead of using one hand....you now have to use two. This is a great effect rendered unperformable by this Kennedy magic version.
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On 2004-04-22 22:01, Ibd1Mon99 wrote:
Sean, there is no need to defend yourself. The person who posted his message, or anyone else for that matter, does not have to contact you before posting their opinion on this free forum.
If you want to debate every person who doesn't like one of your effects, you will be a very busy man.Let the members here express thier opinions without checking with you first.

Ibd1Mon99,

I second the unneeded harsh tone towards sean. he was trying to help the member. he did not want to be harshly judged by people for not responding to an email he never received. Sean did not rebuke the member in any way for their opinion.

s
thk5353
View Profile
Regular user
Northern New Jersey
183 Posts

Profile of thk5353
I probably posted this within these pages somewhere, I have to say the worst trick I've ever bought was Airtight by Jay Sankey. This trick is impossible to setup and also hard to pull off. Just bad.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
About Airtight: I purchased it because I saw Copperfield perform it, and I thought it looked fabulous.

But like you said, It's almost impossible to get that darned deck of cards loaded in the balloon, without killing yourself. I should know, because I tried for hours! I have no idea how Copperfield achieved the set-up. He must have used real magic.

Anyway, the instructions say something about using a knife for misdirection, and I don't recall Copperfield using one in his presentation. I was expecting to be able to do it as cleanly as David. But his method was not revealed in the instructions that came with my trick.

Anyway, the trick is still in limbo for me.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
mikep
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
327 Posts

Profile of mikep
I too gave up on airtight, after countless efforts I only managed to get set up once. and the balloon broke before the effect was complete: Nice idea, nearly impossible to pull off.
Fraser Gould
View Profile
New user
Tokyo, Japan
97 Posts

Profile of Fraser Gould
Two of the worst props I have ever bought both came from Dave Powell (is that name spelled right?).

His newspaper seance gimmick was so poorly made, I couldn't give it away (yes, I did try to unload it on some friends).

His card case fountain arrived in the mail in pieces - the glue had come undone in transit. I fixed that, but the motor on the prop wasn't strong enough to ever shoot the cards out with any consistency. A couple of days after receiving it, the wheel that shoots out the cards came flying off the motor.

Two cases of a really great idea but shoddy workmanship.
Fraser Gould
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
I liked the Airtight idea, so I bought the "correct" Needle thru Balloon (#11 I think) balloons from Elmwood Magic. Still could not load the cards at all, which is a magic trick in itself......
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
El_Lamo
View Profile
Special user
Canada
589 Posts

Profile of El_Lamo
I bought smoke from finger tips and wound up with sticky smelly fingers.

Cheers - El Lamo
Life is a system of circumstance presented coincidently in an illusory way.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Have I ever mentioned anything by Henery Evans? lol.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Well, what I have seen by Henry Evans impressed the hell out of me. But then again, to each his own.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
663 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
Stuffing things into balloons is easy with the right vacuum box machine. I don't know the Airtight trick but you can get a balloon stuffing machine info at BalloonHQ.com. Teddys and Roses are favorites for putting into balloons

http://www.balloonhq.com/faq/deco_delivery.html#machine
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
avimagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Hollywood, Florida
235 Posts

Profile of avimagic
Quote:
But like you said, It's almost impossible to get that darned deck of cards loaded in the balloon, without killing yourself. I should know, because I tried for hours! I have no idea how Copperfield achieved the set-up. He must have used real magic.

LOL... It's been about 20 years since Copperfield ever set up a trick. He's in his trailer til showtime while a crew of the hardest working people in show business get everything set up for him!
Christopher
View Profile
Special user
531 Posts

Profile of Christopher
Henry Evans impressed me too when I saw him in person. However, his products left alot to be desired and I eventually had to discontinue selling them at my stores due to complaints.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I'm going to PM you about that one.
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1250 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
Smoke From The Fingertips was incredibly stupid -- I, too, ordered it in elementary school from a Johnson Smith catalog (along with my plastic Charlie McCarthy dummy, my X-Ray Specs, and my spiral Hypno Coin -- remember those?), and I was probably the only one here who used up the whole tube in attempts to do it "correctly" ( I was *sure* that if I snapped my fingers open just right that those billows of smoke would start appearing; I mean, they wouldn't LIE to a kid, would they..?)

Funny thing is, I still see it advertised, with the exact same sales pitch and graphic as they used 25 years ago. Must be a perennial favorite...

Seth
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Seth,
As stupid as Smoke From the Fingertips was I was actually able to make it work.The secret was to work the sticky stuff between your fingers and spread them as you were pulling your hand down and the "sticky web" type stuff "looked" like smoke.
I too had X-ray specs, now they were stupid. Yes they would LIE to a kid for the almighty buck.As Barnum always said "there is one born every minute". Good memeories form that Johnson / Smith catalog though.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2004-04-27 19:27, Rennie wrote:
Seth,
As stupid as Smoke From the Fingertips was I was actually able to make it work.The secret was to work the sticky stuff between your fingers and spread them as you were pulling your hand down and the "sticky web" type stuff "looked" like smoke.

Rennie

Were you doing a magic trick or picking your nose?

Just kiddin, man!!

Actually, I bought some of this stuff when I was a kid, and had similar luck as you all.
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1250 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
Rennie & daffydoug,

Actually, it's not that I couldn't get it to work, it's just that I was hoping for that "billowing" smoke that the ad claimed would pour forth from my fingers...

Yeah, I got some to rise, I just thought it was a bit pathetic..! But I also have some fantastic memories of the Johnson Smith catalog, and waiting eagerly on my porch for orders to arrive -- in fact I started getting it again a couple of years ago, just for sentimental value. It hasn't changed much in 25 years...

Seth
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
Quote:
On 2003-02-20 21:27, Terry wrote:

The Envelope Please - the instruction start with "To do the effect you need a confederate..." a real rip!

If you'd like to sell it, let me know. You need a confederate to perform the trick but the deck of cards is priceless in its simplicity.
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Worst Trick You Have Purchased (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..17~18~19~20~21..29~30~31 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL