The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Funny how the craze for the Ninja Rings has quickly toned down (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Shafique
View Profile
New user
London
57 Posts

Profile of Shafique
Well, I've gotten into Ninja rings a little late - I finally got a set of rings and the DVD today.

Nice set of rings and great DVD - mucho practice lies ahead!

Cheers,
Shafique
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Well, if the craze has officially died down, and everyone has a set of rings and a basic vocabulary of moves, then the stage might almost be set for....

stay tuned. Surprises ahead.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
Have you seen anyone actually performing the cups?

On a recent trip to the castle, I saw the cups performed not once but THREE times; once in the close-up gallery, and by each performer in the parlor. Johnny Ace Palmer and Brian Ochab were the parlor performances, and each had a cups & balls routine. Even more recently, Michael Vincent opened in the close-up room with cups & balls. Maybe it's just me, but I seem to run into this routine all the time. Brian Ochab, by the way, has the best final load I've seen.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Chris Boyd
View Profile
Regular user
Mansfield, TX
155 Posts

Profile of Chris Boyd
Oooooh...I wanna hear more about Curtis's surprises!

I discovered this thread last month, read a few rave reviews, got onboard, and received the rings in the mail on Monday.

I am quite pleased at how my routine is coming along, especially my One-Handed Blocked Link. My pinky has been throbbing and swollen for three days, but I am to the point where I can do it about every other time.
Chris Boyd
"Jaws dropping is the sweetest sound..."
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
I saw the SHOOT and APOLLO lecture last week, just awesome. When I got home I got out my old ROYAL ring set and attempted some of the moves, ohhhhhhh the pain. Your pinky will THROB for days, but it's probably worth it to get the routine down, it just looks sooooo good.Smile
PaulEds
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of PaulEds
I too am rehearsing Shoot's techniques with the rings. I can't see myself performing the whole routine. Personally I think it's too long and repetitive FOR ME (although Shoot does it perfectly!).

As mentioned above, I think the techniques are stunning, and I'll be incorporating some of them within my existing close up ring routine - which is based on Whit Haydn's 4 ring routine.

This is the beauty of a modular trick like the rings, you can substitute different techniques as and when (if!!) they're perfected.
Eric Rose
View Profile
Regular user
Franklin, IN
160 Posts

Profile of Eric Rose
Magicman1957,

I, too, am a member of the throbbing pinky club. However, I took my rings over to a magician friends house to get a critique on how my spin link looked and his astonishment made all the throbbing go away.
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
I also had the hurt pinky syndrome. This, unfortunately, wasn't neccessary because what I have come to find is that the rings only need a loose and soft handling and they work fine. I, like many, were trying to force things with a stronger than needed grip and more slam that was needed to link the rings.

The big learning curve for me was getting the proper key ring grip down. Once I got that I could do the spin link and one hand block link without a problem.

The grip that solved all the issues for me was specifically: lay the key ring over the first joint of your index finger. Place your thumb directly on top to pinch the ring between the index finger joint and the thumb. The open part of the key rests right smack dab in the middle of the last knuckle of my little finger (where the finger joins the hand). The bottom of the ring is not even in my hand, but it looks fine. The middle and ring fingers are only for cover, they don't hold the ring at all.

I hold the ring just tight enough to keep the bottom of the gap against my pinky base. It is a loose grip.

On the table link and one hand block link it helps to slightly cock your wrist back to ensure the ring you strike slams backward instead of forward. For the table link the key is to focus on the "solid" looking part while it is spinning (the axis of spin) and strike that part. The key ring grip described above is critical. It will work. It is easier doing it on a close up pad, but it will work on any surface.

The one hand block link; it is important to just lift up enough to make all the rings go airborne but not enough to make them hit. On the strike downward make sure not to break your wrist forward or it will not link. Again, for me I have to keeping the grip described above is critical for it to work for me.

Hope these insights help.

Dan
Click to visit:
mwolfire
View Profile
New user
Mark Wolfire
91 Posts

Profile of mwolfire
Dan
Thanks much for the tips. These are extremely helpful.
Mark
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Quote:
On 2003-05-10 01:40, martyk wrote:
Get the Cellini tapes. I'm not sure that they "link" at all. they simply melt through one another slowly. You see it, but you don't see it, happen.

Marty,
I sat not ten feet from Jim Cellini and watched his routine. It made me care about the rings again. But, and it's a BIG but, his routine is display magic designed for standup.

Ninja rings has audience involvement and that makes it, in my opinion, a better routine. Many laymen have seen the rings and all of them assume that if they could hold the rings they could figure it out. By having the rings link inches from their eyes and in their own hands all avenues of escape are lost and the only answer that remains is magic.
Grey
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, WA
45 Posts

Profile of Grey
Big rings, small rings, they are impressive if done well. After watching both the Fleishman and Ogawa performances I was blown away. I'm sure it is just personal preference, but I find most linking ring routines are great astonishers.Smile
Of course, learning the secret of the rings lessened MY feeling of astonishment, but it did nothing to lessen the beauty of the well performed routine.
I like the Ninja rings for their small size and ease of portability. I've practiced this routine a lot, and when I perform it for laymen they generally get that far-away "how-is-this-possible" look. That look is the litmus test for me on whether or not I'm doing things correctly.

On the subject of price - as stated by others, 'you get what you pay for'. The first ($14)set I purchased were cheaply made, and the set contained the standard 8 rings. No welds were visible, but that didn't last long. A few drops on the ground, and/or some hard crash links, and the welds popped. (I was able to weld them back together, but the finish/shine was destroyed. I've had the $30 set of 4 for a while now, and I'm pleased. Nickel finish for a hard scratch-resistant surface, pleasant ringing, etc. (I guess it is pleasant if you're not my roomate listening to me practice!!!)
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. Jim Elliot 1927-1956
Bradley Morgan
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of Bradley Morgan
Hey Mr.Kurtis what are you keeping from us?

Man ever since you said that i have been wondering what the heck it is?

You have a linking ring routine?

A hate surprises. LOL

Brad
"I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones." - Einstein
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Sorry, Brad, but the teaser may have been premature. I don't have a routine right now. I've done the effect throughout my career, and have had several versions in and out of my performing repertoire. Most recently, I have been using a set identical to the Ninja set, only 24" diameter, for my stage performances. It's a six minute silent routine in which the rings start separate, and are linked into a chain of four. That's all. I know, it sounds like death, but it works.

The "surprises" I was referring to may have to wait a while, we have run into unforeseen publishing difficulties. I'll let you all know ASAP.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Bradley Morgan
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of Bradley Morgan
Mr Curtis what don't you do?

Thanks for everything.

Brad
"I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones." - Einstein
daminfell
View Profile
New user
VA
51 Posts

Profile of daminfell
Maybe it's just me but I have practiced with the Ninja Rings and seen them performed numerous times and I am still just as amazed as I was the first time. Obviously they wouldn't be as amazing if they weren't done well but everyone has their own unique style, making many of the routines quite different. Smile
..::damienfell::..
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Been doing one form of linking rings since around 1950 (huh?) and seldom work without 'em.

I fiddled with close up sets in the past, but these (Ninja) are terrific. Shoot has opened a lot of eyes as to what can be done.

Practice, practice, practice... just like a pass with cards...

However, not all should try to do what he does... try to learn to handle them well and then develop your own routine.

That is my plan.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Christopher
View Profile
Special user
531 Posts

Profile of Christopher
I love the ninja ring routine and use it regularly in my restaurant act. However, the initial table spin is not practical at all. I've replaced the beginning, and everything else is great, thanks to the in the hands action.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I don't do any of the tabled bits. Now I can do the routine anywhere.

It's the only routine my wife has ever seen that she thought looked magical.

I taught my 4-year-old the crash link and my wife's eyes were as wide as silver dollars when he did it for her.

She was stunned.

This makes me think that the crash-link is possibly the most magical looking move in all of magic.

And here I thought the rings were silly.

Thank you Mr. Yanagida wherever you are for this great routine.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
respho
View Profile
New user
Hong Kong
74 Posts

Profile of respho
We have to remember and believe that certain basic magical principles are still very effective for lay audiences. For example, the French Drop, and the linking rings.

I don't think the craze has toned down at all. I practiced the routine well. And everywhere I showed the routine, magicians were "reminded" of how beautiful this classical trick was, and lay audiences were amazed.
Lauren Benson
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Lauren Benson
Last year I saw a japanese guy at a convention doing a routine with the small or "ninja" rings. His name was Hide and he was not on the venue. I thought that his routine was highly better than the one Shoot Ogawa is doing. It was just plain wonderful to watch. This young fellow was a true master.
God Bless,
Lauren
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Funny how the craze for the Ninja Rings has quickly toned down (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL