The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Blank Night - a new Bank night method (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
archini
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
313 Posts

Profile of archini
Hi all.

I am not sure of the etiquette of posting about your own products here, or indeed most forums. If I am meant to get someone else to say "Hey does anyone know about John Archer's new Bank night routine called 'Blank Night' it sounds great" then please let me know. If putting this up myself is bad form then please delete and I'll use the back door.
Cutting to the chase I have decided to release my bank night routine as a downloadable PDF (an experiment in marketing at the moment). If you are interested I have added a magician's page on my website where you can find more information and if you so wish, purchase. http://www.john-archer.com
many knowledgeable (and not so knowledgeable) magicians have seen it and made positive comments. I will leave it to them to decide if they wish to speak up with a yea or nay.

Many thanks,

John.
cougar261084
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of cougar261084
Hmm sounds interesting, there are so many bank nights out there, which one should I pick. I've been doing richard osterlinds for a few years, perhaps I'll check this out
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2044 Posts

Profile of aligator
Check out Lucky Night by Bryn Reynolds as described in the Safwan Papers. You will be glad you did.
davidmag
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of davidmag
John is this suitable for close-up situations and are there any restrictions about envelopes?
Thanx!
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3353 Posts

Profile of Looch
If someone like john archer is releasing his take on a classic such as BN... What are you waiting for?! Just click buy!!
Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/ Learn Mentalism with the Pro's: https://www.mymind.rocks
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
889 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
I'll declare an interest: John's a good friend of mine. That having been said, if I honestly thought this wasn't very good, I would say so.

Everyone in mentalism knows there are countless 'Bank Nite' effects already out there, and everyone has their own favourites. John Archer's new creation, 'Blank Nite', is one of the very best. I've seen the manuscript that John is selling, and I've seen John perform the routine in front of a huge audience on his recent national tour (his fourth) with comedian Tim Vine.

It's an excellent routine that scores well because it looks completely, 100% fair and direct. In fact, from an audience's point of view there is simply no discernible difference between watching this routine and watching someone who truly, honestly could actually put the money in the one envelope no-one chooses. There's no forcing, no strange or extraneous moves, no procedural deviation from what you would do if you could do it for real.

It's a smart, ingenious method that works well in the real world. The explanation is crystal clear and easy to follow. There's a small bit of work to do, but if you can cut up an envelope, you can create this item.

The only caveat I'd offer is that this particular version is best-suited to stage performances with the audience all front-facing. You COULD use it in a close-up situation, or in a stage performance with the audience to the sides or surrounded, but you'd have to be careful.

It's a top-class approach to 'Bank Nite' from a top-class performer who knows what works in the real world. Highly recommended.
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
alpha alex
View Profile
Special user
774 Posts

Profile of alpha alex
Wow
Ian Rowland is backing it up as well as Looch
so this gotta be good

and yes John, the café works on that way.. getting somebody else to do the ¨hey have you seen this¨ approach.. is kind of lame, so I rather your approach
well done
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3085 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Big fan of John's work.....not only his 'simple is best' handlings, but how he creates routines that are first and foremost entertaining!
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1355 Posts

Profile of Colin
I watched John perform this routine a few months ago infront of a few hundred people and the routine was absolutely brilliant!

Obvously John is an incredible performer and he proves that something as simple as five envelopes can amaze people.

To be totally honest, when I watched him perform it, I had no clue how it could be so clean. He literally pulls three £20 notes from the envelope he's left with. They also come out fully opened! Not all crushed and folded.

Well John kindly sent over the manuscript and I learned he doesn't actually do it for real Smile . The method though is fresh, simple and has many uses!

This is well worth picking up if you're looking for a bank night routine worth performing on stage! VERY creative!

Col
Check out Psych-Artist.com now for free essays and other resources.
Paul Brook
View Profile
Special user
UK
903 Posts

Profile of Paul Brook
I need to go on the record to say that this is a wonderfully clever idea. It's so clever that I can't imagine someone like John coming up with it.

C'mon John, there is a creative genius out there missing a notebook. Fess up!

John's work on this will enable the performer to remove the notes as new, instead of un-balling them as with some methods. Equally, the angle issues have been completely thought of.

The entire handling is fair and to the point, with no faffing (technical term).

Oh, and you may find yourself laughing out loud as you read. It seems that John's holds so much comedy that it spills into his finger's as he types Smile

Great work, John.

Cheers,

-Paul

P.S. Can I have my notebook back?
PAUL BROOK

He Knows Shop - All of my mentalism books, PDFs and props Smile

Certified Mentalism A beautifully illustrated hardback book full of real world mentalism Smile

FREE MENTALISM Free hard-hitting effects, routines and methods, just a click away Smile

MAGIC TV INTERVIEW An deep dive interview with Craig Petty, nothing held back! Smile
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Nice thinking, John. This is an easy to do Bank Nite, but you will have to do some construction... not hard... simple stuff.
And, as been mentioned, this is an effect you need to do when people are not behind you or have an extreme angle, but other than it's very commercial.
I would love to see John's presentation of this because I'm sure it's hysterical.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1355 Posts

Profile of Colin
Greg, it's brilliant!

Bear in mind John was performing for around 500 people, over the full evening he only did two routines. This was one of them... I think that speaks volumes for how strong it is!

Col

PS: It was totally hilarious!
Check out Psych-Artist.com now for free essays and other resources.
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2545 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Quote:
On 2010-04-29 09:59, aligator wrote:
Check out Lucky Night by Bryn Reynolds as described in the Safwan Papers. You will be glad you did.

I've gone on record as being quite fond of Safwan Papers but Lucky Night, as good as it may be, is almost an exact rehash of Bob Cassidy's work (see Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy). Bryn's been told this by me and several others, and it doesn't detract from the rest of his excellent work, but I felt obligated to share that fact.

You'll be glad you picked up Safwan Papers in any case, just to be clear.
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Quote:
On 2010-04-29 16:12, Colin wrote:
Well John kindly sent over the manuscript and I learned he doesn't actually do it for real Smile .

:lol:

This line made me spill some orange juice on my desk (luckily my keyboard is safe)...
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
brody
View Profile
Inner circle
Omaha
1313 Posts

Profile of brody
Just got this and I like it. I do want to point out that you really don't get a routine so much as a method and the handling.

But what a method. It reads very...very...clean.

I've already started assembling everything to try this one out.

Well worth the money.
newguy
View Profile
Elite user
411 Posts

Profile of newguy
Got one.

Love it.

The combination of this and Kennedy's latest take on the envelope test are two of the best bits of new thinking around on the envelope test.

Both Great.
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1600 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
Is this an instant download?
Best regards,
<BR>Tony Razzano, Past President, PEA
Winner of the PEA"s Bascom Jones and Bob Haines Awards
VIEW
View Profile
Special user
687 Posts

Profile of VIEW
Quote:
On 2010-04-30 13:43, Tony Razzano wrote:
Is this an instant download?

no, but john emails it fast.
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1600 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
OK, Thanks,VIEW. I appreciate it.
Best regards,
<BR>Tony Razzano, Past President, PEA
Winner of the PEA"s Bascom Jones and Bob Haines Awards
Jheff
View Profile
V.I.P.
402 Posts

Profile of Jheff
Quote:
On 2010-04-29 18:20, Greg Arce wrote:
I would love to see John's presentation of this because I'm sure it's hysterical.

Another act you missed at the Magic Castle, eh, Greg? John performed this earlier this year when he was here and this was in his set. It was, indeed, hilarious. But then, to me, John could read the phone book and it would be hilarious. I haven't got this PDF, but I can also attest that if the performing conditions are right for you, then this is a bank nite you'll enjoy doing.

Jheff
http://www.MarketplaceoftheMind.com
Marketplace of the Mind PARIMENTAL, a 200 page exploration of a classic Martin Gardner principle, is now available!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Blank Night - a new Bank night method (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL