The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Phill Smith at Penguin: What do? (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
Hi guys, I'm going to the US to do a Penguin lecture in about 3 weeks (on June 21st), and I'm just hammering out the last of the details and running through it here in the office, so I thought I would just ask here - does anyone have anything that they would like me to cover? I will do my best to get through as much as possible. Here's a list of what's currently on the playlist:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/5441

(the Penguin avatar is still in the pipeline I think, but, you know it will just look like me so just imagine that)
I don't lecture a huge amount (magic/mentalism anyway, I lecture other stuff all the time) and I'm super excited to be able to do this, and I want to make it count, so if you want anything let me know here and I'll see what I can cover.

Phill
The new Elysian Duets, marked cards featuring my unique Optical Marking System:
-+: https://phillsmithcreative.com/products/elysian-duets :+-
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3353 Posts

Profile of Looch
I don't have Mitox here at hand but in it theres a fantastic bit to do with 'parties' (halloween, christmas etc) I would love to hear more of your thinking on this kind of stuff. Coming from a design background like you it really struck a chord when I first read that chapter
Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/ Learn Mentalism with the Pro's: https://www.mymind.rocks
Demitri
View Profile
Loyal user
296 Posts

Profile of Demitri
Looch is talking about Atypical - and this is something I was going to ask about, as well. This also struck a chord with me - and I'd love to hear if you've expanded upon the original idea.

I was also wondering if you planned to do anything with the Creative Solutions Deck - perhaps just demonstrations or ideas for routines that you've developed. It's an incredible tool!
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
Look mom, I have
1534 Posts

Profile of E.E.
Would be wonderful if you talk about your QUINTA force Smile
Professional mentalist and digital artist for mystery performers. check out my work at www.facebook.com/EverElizaldeArtStudio
tpratt38
View Profile
Loyal user
New Orleans
279 Posts

Profile of tpratt38
I second the creative solutions deck. I love the deck and it is so much better to use that than a deck of cards for a change.

Tim
Mental Threads....

Invoking your thoughts one thread at a time...

Creator of Voodoo Dowels
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5131 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Hi Phil, I wish you all the best!

Theory about your approach to performance, creative and character development is well received Smile
Also as designer you can share your thoughts about designing performances of Mentalism in a original manner.

Best
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
seamagu
View Profile
Special user
885 Posts

Profile of seamagu
I found your thoughts on presentation to be particularly good. Even down to what type of pen you use, the envelopes you carry, what you carry them in etc. Some additional thoughts on that would be great,

Thanks,

Séa
I love post its Smile
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3250 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
I recommend teaching as much of your best material and ideas as possible.
I recommend not spending any time on theory, character development, etc.
Prometheus
View Profile
Special user
Europe
524 Posts

Profile of Prometheus
Quote:
On Jun 2, 2015, Amirá wrote:
Also as designer you can share your thoughts about designing performances of Mentalism in a original manner.

That would be very interesting! Also your thoughts on how to make mentalism interesting (to the spectators/audience).
-

Prometheus
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Love your thoughts. I recently used your interview effect in a show. It's just so dang fun and very fooling.

Your strength is in your creation of fun routines. I say focus them. Smile
VIEW
View Profile
Special user
687 Posts

Profile of VIEW
Loads on Quinta.
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1435 Posts

Profile of MDantes
Yes!

I'd love to hear more about your thoughts on the creative process for you in general.

I have always told you how much I love your premises and your awesome launching points.

If like to see Quinta in action. As well as your current thinking on your creative solution deck.

Atypical is greatness and I'd also like to hear more about your thinking with this principle.
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
Quinta is definitely going in, although I've found in going through stuff that once you've explained the method for it once, it is a bit awkward then doing another effect with the same method. I kind of don't want to dig too far into it because I don't want anyone fading out when I start describing the psychology behind doing the move count with odd numbers for a proof force... eh, it's so in depth. I'll see if I can get the balance of the audience.

I want to cover a range of material - I'm going to do Thumbscrews booktest and Interview is a *bit* similar, in its trick questions setup, but I'll see if theres a way to get around that.

There are a couple of new things in there too, I'm going to try and do an office run through and see if I can hit any more points.

My understanding of the format is that there is kind of a sit down chat phase afterwards and I want to dig into some of the more theoretical stuff there? I guess a lot of theory will get hit on the way through the effects, but we'll see.
Man I'm super looking forward to it. They nailed my avatar too, pretty much, check it out:

Phill

Click here to view attached image.
dan the man
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of dan the man
I'd love to hear your (maybe even expanded?) thoughts on left brain write brain.
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
Kind of my concern with LBWB is that I'm already doing a few effects that just use business cards, including The Biz, which you will like I think - I'll see if I can put it in somewhere where it won't clash. Thanks for the suggestion. BTW the new handling for LBWB is (IMO) pretty cool. Maybe I really should put it in...

Phill
dan the man
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of dan the man
Quote:
On Jun 3, 2015, phillsmiff wrote:
Kind of my concern with LBWB is that I'm already doing a few effects that just use business cards, including The Biz, which you will like I think - I'll see if I can put it in somewhere where it won't clash. Thanks for the suggestion. BTW the new handling for LBWB is (IMO) pretty cool. Maybe I really should put it in...

Phill

I'm sure people would forgive you for including one more effect using business cards.. ;-) However, I totally understand.. Either way I'm sure it's going to be awesome!
Nice profile picture btw!
WooverM
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of WooverM
Quote:
Quinta is definitely going in, although I've found in going through stuff that once you've explained the method for it once, it is a bit awkward then doing another effect with the same method. I kind of don't want to dig too far into it because I don't want anyone fading out when I start describing the psychology behind doing the move count with odd numbers for a proof force... eh, it's so in depth. I'll see if I can get the balance of the audience.

I want to cover a range of material - I'm going to do Thumbscrews booktest and Interview is a *bit* similar, in its trick questions setup, but I'll see if theres a way to get around that.

There are a couple of new things in there too, I'm going to try and do an office run through and see if I can hit any more points.

My understanding of the format is that there is kind of a sit down chat phase afterwards and I want to dig into some of the more theoretical stuff there? I guess a lot of theory will get hit on the way through the effects, but we'll see.
Man I'm super looking forward to it. They nailed my avatar too, pretty much, check it out:

Phill

Hello Phill,

I'm not familiar with your material much, but the talks on the forums are praising your Quinta force and that's enough for me to get your lecture.(besides its on penguin and the 50$ for 5 lectures is amazing for the value)

I would suggest that if you would like to use similar methods for diffrent effects and still fool an audience during the lecture to change the format from Effect -> Method to a full/partial show routine -> explanation, in a similar way of Collin Mcleod's or Marc Paul's lectures.

Not only it is extremely entertaining by itself and will increase the anticipation to learn it, it will help solve the 'awkward' feeling you might encounter teaching a method then using the same one to display another miracle.

Best of luck, I hope you enjoy your lecture and I'm looking forward, both to seeing you perform and to see your lecture.
Woover
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
Quinta *is* pretty cool but seeing one effect after another using the same method would be clunky, no matter how you cut it I think.

I had thought about doing like 3 effects in a sequence then going back and breaking it down afterwards? Does anyone else think that's a good idea? I worry that the thread might be broken if I do an effect and then the explanation is maybe ten minutes later or whatever. It's a good thought though.

Phill
WooverM
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of WooverM
Quote:
Quinta *is* pretty cool but seeing one effect after another using the same method would be clunky, no matter how you cut it I think.

I had thought about doing like 3 effects in a sequence then going back and breaking it down afterwards? Does anyone else think that's a good idea? I worry that the thread might be broken if I do an effect and then the explanation is maybe ten minutes later or whatever. It's a good thought though.

Phill

It is what I think will work best, as I said, it is my favorite way to watch a mentalism lecture, even more if they are related within the storyline.
And about Quinta, you could showcase 1 effect with it and when you get to the explanation you could show the other variations, I think it will work wheter the explanation is right after the effect or after a small routine.
Woover
AlexanderG
View Profile
Veteran user
No more and no less than
366 Posts

Profile of AlexanderG
Phill, if you look at the reviews of other Penguin lecturers who did a number of effects back-to-back and only then followed with explanations, you'll see that people really enjoyed that. That's because you not only end up learning the effects, but you also end up learning about routining, performance, audience management, etc. Docc Hilford, I believe, did an entire performance, and only then turned to explanations - and many reviews explicitly singled that out as very valuable. Your idea of doing a handful of related effects followed by explanations sounds like a very good one to me.

My own preference is for relatively prop-free and intimate mentalism. Thanks in advance.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Phill Smith at Penguin: What do? (11 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL