The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Misled: do you do with the "wrong" way? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
R2D2
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of R2D2
I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion about how to do the second phase of Misled. I know that Timothy Wenk wants people to pull the pencil by the pointy end and David Copperfield did it the opposite way. Wenk thinks that it's much much stronger his way but I've got to figure that DC had a reason for doing it his way. Honestly I think DC's way might look stronger but I can't really tell since I don't have the perspective of a spectator who doesn't know the method.

If this wod be a question better suited for the secret area, that's fine. I'll have to wait until I hit 50 posts, but I'm a patient guy.
R2D2
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of R2D2
Sorry, please excuse the typo in the subject. I'm posting this from a phone.
Leo-Kim
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of Leo-Kim
I´ve seen people pulling the pointy end revolving the pen over 90 degrees and sometimes the gimmick have moved exposing that something is loose.

Doing it like DC you have more Control over the working end of the pencil so to speak. When you have done the penetration the work is hidden in your hand already without having to move the pen around

On the other side it is not as open as Wenks way.

I Always do it like DC and the effect is staggering still.

Mikael Johansson
Sweden
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well (Donald Duck)
R2D2
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of R2D2
Thanks Leo. I didn't realize how dangerous pointy end first was.
R2D2
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of R2D2
Actually while we're on the topic:

I noticed that in the first phase of the trick, Wenk instructs us to rotate the pencil 45 degrees before removing it, pointing to the top of the bill, and then replacing the pencil. DC instead keeps the pencil vertical then removes it etc. IOW he skips the rotation.

It seems like a subtle point but the rotation allows you to do less concealing with your hand. Otoh DC probably had his reasons.

Does anyone have an opinion about this?
Munseys_Magic
View Profile
Special user
520 Posts

Profile of Munseys_Magic
If anybody knows where I can buy a new Misled, please PM me. Thanks so much!
Jim Munsey
Munsey's Magic
http://www.MunseysMagic.com
R2D2
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of R2D2
No idea. This is tough to find. Just make sure that if you find someone who claims to have it that it's the real thing and not a knock-off. The knock-offs are terrible. I ordered from one dealer who swore it was the real thing and it turned out to be counterfeit. So watch out. (He took it back but I had to pay for return shipping and go through that hassle. )

Maybe someone can confirm this but I think the reason it's not made anymore is because they couldn't compete with the cheapo knock offs, which is weird because you couldn't pay me to use one of those!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Found it available from Magic Inc., same price as 40 years ago.

http://www.magicinc.net/misledbytimothywenk.aspx
Charles Gaff
View Profile
Loyal user
204 Posts

Profile of Charles Gaff
Wow, I got an order in. Hope they still have one. Thanks allot.
Chuck Finley
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of Chuck Finley
Do you think the reason that Tim chose to do this from the point was merely because he might be left handed. I don't know if that is the case as I've never seen him perform it I just thought I would throw it out there. Maybe it could be that the first gimmicks were very brittle and broke with the lightest torque and he was hoping to sell more if people broke them.
Maybe it's because he wants his hand as far away from the point of penetration when the pencil falls free.
I perform this all the time and do so the way Copperfield did it and it kills. It has been part of my walk around show since I bought years ago.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Dec 28, 2015, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Found it available from Magic Inc., same price as 40 years ago.

http://www.magicinc.net/misledbytimothywenk.aspx

Just checked they are all gone now!
king_amongthepigs
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of king_amongthepigs
I personally use Daniel Garcia's version of the effect. Love how it's totally impromtu.
R2D2
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of R2D2
I could never get into Danny Garcia's version. The impromptu aspect is amazing, but It's tough to beat how visual Misled is.
GeneTony
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of GeneTony
I just chatted with Timothy and he said he is planning a giant, "festive" re-release of Misled in the next 2-3 months.
Some think Houdini used trap doors in his act, but he was just going through a stage.
Charles Gaff
View Profile
Loyal user
204 Posts

Profile of Charles Gaff
That would be great. Seems there is enough demand. I bought one recently that was way too big. It was pretty lame. Hope the standard is high, most of the ones I've seen are pretty awesome.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I hope Tim gives some consideration to the color of the gimmick! I don’t believe that there is a pencil sold today that matches the original gimmick's color. I have looked and purchased a LOT of pencils that were way off. Also consideration for a gimmick made for pens would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jim
macc
View Profile
Loyal user
205 Posts

Profile of macc
Hmm....even the pencil that came with it (the same Copperfield used) was off in color.

And as far as I know they are still sold in the us.
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
Tim Wenk says he going to re-release Misled.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On Jun 18, 2017, Neznarf wrote:
Tim Wenk says he going to re-release Misled.

Look at Gene Tory's post four posts before yours, he claimed Tim was planninga "festive" release in 2 to 3 months... from last January!

And that has been announced about once a year for quite some time now. Do you actually have anything new on this?

Jim
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I've been in contact with Timothy Wenk, the re-release is in the works and should be coming soon. Smile

As to the which end, the instructions warn not to let the gimmick fly off during the melt-through, which is why I prefer what I call the "Copperfield Mod" and use the eraser end to eliminate that possibility, I consider it a control issue, don't lose control of the gimmick.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Misled: do you do with the "wrong" way? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL