The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Proteus by Phedon Bilek Official Review (333 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3..10..16..22..28..34~35~36 [Next]
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2564 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
Hey guys,

So I wanted to share my thoughts and experiences with Proteus, a new book that is being released near the end of this month from Phedon Bilek.

For those that don't know who Phedon Bilek is, you soon will, as he has appeared on TV multiple times in Uri Gellar's show Phenomenon.

Phedon, who was once a coin magician, has transitioned into mentalism a few years ago, and we should be glad that he decided to share his wisdom and insight with us.

I believe the release is being handled by Alakazam Magic, for those that know, Peter and company go to great lengths to put out a quality product, and Peter knows greatness when he sees it, and he releases it.

In the book, you get a lot of insight into performing mentalism, specifically on doing readings, revealing information, and learning the process/technique behind Proteus.

In this modern age of mentalists doing prop-less mentalism, I feel that this release couldn't have come at a greater time, since we have been treated to an array of propless methods from the likes, for example of Peter Turner, Fraser Parker, Atlas Brookings, to name a few.

Phedon, though not known widely yet, will soon, I predict, be a household name, that everyone will remember. Similar to when Peter Turner first came on the scene, nobody knew who he was, and now everyone knows him.

So what exactly is Proteus?

If you havent seen the trailer, I suggest you go on Alakazam and watch it now, or on youtube. Basically, a spectator, or two spectators think of something(to put it into short terms), and with no complicated, convoluted procedure, you instantly know his or her thought. My description doesn't do it justice, go watch the trailer, and prepare to be surprised. I am pretty sure when he performs it on Peter and Dave in the studio, they were pretty amazed at the accuracy of Phedon's revelation of their thought.

I received an advance copy from Phedon himself, and no, I did not receive it for a review, though I am writing this happily on my own, since I want to tell you about my experiences so far, and about the book itself. I paid Phedon the full price via Paypal, and I wanted to specifically check the Spanish version, since YES, this does work in other languages.

I believe Phedon told me it works in Spanish, Italian, Greek, English and French.

I first learned it in English after reading through the book, then I learned the Spanish version, since I am in Mexico, and here I want to perform it in Spanish.

The book has two contributions, Luca Volpe's take on Proteus, and Peter Turner's take on Proteus. Both takes are very different in nature, and both take this to an entirely different level.

Yes, you can perform this close-up, parlour, stage, or even at a party or get-together.

Does not use any props at all, just maybe your brain.

Difficulty from 1-10, 10 being the most difficult, 1 being Easiest I would rate this at a 2.

As Phedon says, you will learn this, apply it, use it for the rest of your life.

Some of you might rate this at a 3 or so, it all depends on how each person takes this in and learns it.

I predict, that this will be nominated for Release of the year 2017, and you can quote me on that.

At the end of the book, Phedon shares an array and mixture of methods, using coins, and a prediction.
I love the way this bonus effect, if you can call it that, is layered. Multiple methods weaved together for a fun impromptu piece using coins, a billet, and a pen.(This reminds me like a Conversations as Mentalism type release)

So I wanted to use this next space to share my experiences thus far:

1) I said I first learned it in English, well you can even do this over Skype, Phone. So my first try out, decided to perform for my friend, that lives in Houston, and nailed his thought.

2) Another friend from NY, nailed his thought

+ 3 more friends from USA, all nailed their thoughts.

Now comes the switch in gears, at least for me, since I am in Mexico, so Spanish would be preferred by my audience, so I learned that, and

1) First try out, to my best friend, mind you, he is also a mentalist, nailed his thought, no clue
2) Second time out, to a friend from Mexico City, nailed his thought, he thought of the word table.

So far, I have performed this about 7 times or so, 5 English, 2 Spanish and I havent failed yet.

This effect is 100% surefire in English no doubt it my mind. I need to go out and test it more in Spanish, since 2 is not a lot, and wish to get more data.

The good part about the method, once you read the book, if you want to use it in one of the other languages, is that you may add or subtract(cant expose too much here, but you will know what I mean once you read it)

Definately one of the better releases to come out this year, and urge everyone who is interested in mentalism, or propless methods to give this a go, plus Phedon is a really nice guy, and let us support the good guys in the business.

Rating: 10/10 Why? Workable, attainable once learned, propless, can do it anytime, anywhere with anyone, great mix of methods, and finally good solid presentation and structuring to it all.

Thanks guys

Alex Alejandro
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
miltos
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of miltos
I have been performing this about a month.I have tried to convince him to not release this.It's so f......g good.I have to say that Phedon had make people crying with this in front of me.In 20 years from now this will be one of the basic things you will have to learn if you want to call yourself a mentalist(more important than billet p**k).Also there is another amazing routine inside which I would even buy it as a separate pamphlet.

Miltos
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1754 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Well now that the cat has been let out of the bag on the Café, I guess I'll share my thoughts. I was waiting for the opportune moment, but it seems now is as good a time as ever.

I saw a performance on facebook of a incredible mind-reading demonstration which looked too clean to be true. The video can be seen here:

As you'll see, it looks phenomenal. Honestly, I was immediately suspicious that there was something more going on than what was seen in the trailer. I thought perhaps the two spectators had to make a choice on a list right before they started filming or something similar. After chatting with Phedon, he performed it for me over Skype and nailed my thought twice. Back-to-back. I was enthralled. It looked exactly as it did in the YouTube video above. Nothing at all was left out. Phedon and I quickly became pretty good friends because we both share very similar performance philosophy's. Phedon gifted me wth a review copy. Here are my thoughts:

The book is 135 pages. An awesome thing about the book is that it performs the trick on you as you read it! I love things like this as it gives you the feeling a spectator will experience when you perform it on them (at least somewhat.) The book actually nailed my thought for a THIRD time!

The book itself is very well written and easy to understand. It's very thorough without being redundant. It's very to-the-point and leaves no stone unturned. It includes several thoughts on how to reveal their thought in an effective manner. There are also thoughts by Peter Turner and Luca Volpe. The book also includes a second effect which is a VERY effective combination of classic mentalism principles. In essence, a prediction is set off to the side. A spectator removes three coins from their pocket. They arrange them in any order. They get mixed some more. The spectator puts one coin in their pocket, and one in each hand. They then just IMAGINE flipping one of the coins and freely decide which way it lands The prediction reveals which coin is where and also the state and date of one of the coins, and ends with the kicker prediction of which way the coin will land when it's flipped in their imagination. It's a great piece which is very hard hitting. Don't over look it.

However, most people will be most interested in the “MindPeek” effect which is the propless drawing dupe seen above. After performing the effect for you, the book immediately goes into the explanation. Now I must admit, I was expecting this to be DIFFICULT to learn. I was expecting it to take me weeks to have down. Well I'm happy to say, if you do as the book says and memorize how the book suggests, you will have this memorized before you even finish reading the book! It's truly unbelievable how easy it is to memorize. As a matter of fact, there's very little memory at all. Once you know all the information, it's very logical and doesn't take any thought at all. It quickly becomes second nature. This is one of the greatest thing about the routine because it allows the performer to perform without having to stress about what is the right thing to do next. As a matter of fact, I was out performing the trick on random people the very next day.

This routine feels as close to real mind reading as you can get. Literally, the spectators think of a drawing and the performer immediately begins describing their drawing. That's it. There's no process. There's no weird math or ambiguous statements. There's no writing down information. They don't give you any information at all before you begin revealing it, and their choice feels unlimited. This is why it feels so real. It can be performed for one person, or two people at a time, or even more of you so desire.

Since learning the routine, I have performed it over 15 times on friends as well as random people in various places and the reactions have been some of the strongest reactions I've EVER received. Seriously. I've shot some footage of their reactions and I'll share that footage in the coming days after I can edit it all together. Let's just say, they FREAK out. As for the % of correctness, well my percentage was about 95%. I did have a miss and a partial miss, but those happened early and haven't happened since. I believe they happened because I didn't know what to look for in a spectator but I've since learned and haven't had any trouble. I do truly believe this is 100% correct. And here's a great thing about this system, if you find some people are thinking of some images that you didn't expect and you get multiple people thinking of the same unexpected image, you can simply drop that image into the system with hardly no effort and now you can reveal that thought if someone else thinks of it in the future. I've already done that to my system. It's a system that is easily edited.

This is a routine I am definitely keeping in my memory bank. It is already my new go to effect. It will quickly become yours as well. And if the price I've heard is correct, they are practically giving away a miracle. They should sell it for triple the price. Buy it, try it out, and you'll never stop performing it because the reactions are too strong to give up.

I can't recommend this enough. 10/10. This is sure to become a classic. I'm a bit sad that Phedon is releasing this. It's almost too good.

Madison
Argon
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
159 Posts

Profile of Argon
Hi guys,
I saw the language list. Any reason why this could not work in German? I would be willing to test it 😀
Thanks beforehand for the answer.
Cheers
Stefan
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1754 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2017, Argon wrote:
Hi guys,
I saw the language list. Any reason why this could not work in German? I would be willing to test it 😀
Thanks beforehand for the answer.
Cheers
Stefan

There's no reason it can't work in any lagnuage. Phedon has just already taken the time to translate it into the languages listed above. Smile

Madison
DrRob
View Profile
Special user
Middle Chinnock
952 Posts

Profile of DrRob
It's definitely one of those rare pre order moments for me if this is an option ! As speaking with some of those lucky buggers who have got gifted this by Phedon it's a No Brainer.

Let's hope it's soon as I'm an eager beaver.

Dr Rob
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Hopefully I'll pass my exams with
1646 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
Bloody hell that video looked unbelievably clean! I trust Madison a lot with his reviews so I will definitely pick this up!!

Is this a limited release or no?

Thanks
Sleepy
DrRob
View Profile
Special user
Middle Chinnock
952 Posts

Profile of DrRob
It ought to be limited Sleepy and it's alleged to be only $55! In the performance above of "Mind Peek it's been said it's unedited so the method must be so bloody devious I have an idea but can't wait to get it.

Dr Rob
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1646 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
Thought this would have been atleast £100 ! $55 is a steal!

But I have no money unfortunately...

Sleepy
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1646 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
Also, is the video a "good scenario" or will it look like that every time!

Sleepy
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1754 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
The video above is exactly how the effect looks every single time, Sleepy.
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1646 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2017, MadisonH wrote:
The video above is exactly how the effect looks every single time, Sleepy.

Wow! This really looks crazy!

Sleepy
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Wonder if this is a different approach of Train Tracking by Atlas?
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1754 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2017, bowers wrote:
Wonder if this is a different approach of Train Tracking by Atlas?

Very different. As a Train Tracker, I must admit, I will use this more often. I love Train Tracking. It is incredible. But I've found if you stop performing it, it is easily forgotten. This isn't the case with this one.

But ultimately, a very different approach.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Thanks Madison great to have two different approachs for pure looking mind readings.
Curious as to what the price will be for it.
Todd
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1754 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2017, bowers wrote:
Thanks Madison great to have two different approachs for pure looking mind readings.
Curious as to what the price will be for it.
Todd

$55 I believe. As was stated above. At least, that's the price I've heard.

Madison
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
A very reasonable price if the effect is as good as you say.
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Sadly not a lot fires my imagination in Mentalism nowadays, but this has!
It's something that fits straight into my style and performing needs. I must have it! Smile

Any idea when it will go on sale or pre-order as the Alakazam magic site doesn't have it yet?
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
DrRob
View Profile
Special user
Middle Chinnock
952 Posts

Profile of DrRob
Quote:
On Jun 17, 2017, Shrubsole wrote:
Sadly not a lot fires my imagination in Mentalism nowadays, but this has!
It's something that fits straight into my style and performing needs. I must have it! Smile

Any idea when it will go on sale or pre-order as the Alakazam magic site doesn't have it yet?

Hi Shrubshoe
I've spoken with Titanus as he is involved with Phedon in this release, we should know more in a couple of days as to pre order/ release etc.

The books are being printed in association with Phill Smith and Steve Haresign ( Haresign Press) so quality as confirmed.

Dr Rob
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1299 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
I had this done on me over the phone by Michael Murray a few days ago& it worked a treat.

Michael din't say what it was or how it worked he just performed it & gave me a wonderful experience.

I will be getting the book.

Mike Donoghue
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Proteus by Phedon Bilek Official Review (333 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3..10..16..22..28..34~35~36 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL