We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Becoming devoted to coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicDiva
View Profile
New user
Philadelphia
43 Posts

Profile of MagicDiva
Hiya Everyone,

I am a pasteboard addict, but I can not seem to shake off cards and pick up coins. I know a few coin effects but I would like to revamp my routines by adding more coin effects. Does any one have any advice on how to become devoted to coins?

Thanks a million!
Smile
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1646 Posts

Profile of mystre71
(A 12 step program might work...lol)
Hi my name's Joe and I'm a pasteboard addict.

For me it wasn't until I seen the Palms of Steel series, that I became hooked on coins.
Now it's all I do.

But the PoS series is pretty advanced coin work. So it will depend on your skill level what you would want to look into first.

I would recommend going to Click here: Coinvanish.com - Where did that coin go? A lot of good info there. Smile Smile Smile
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5243 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
My advice is to get hooked on (and strive for) "audience impact" with anything you perform. The props you use to create that impact - - coins, cards, rope, etc. - are somewhat irrelevant.

Regards, Larry D.
MagicDiva
View Profile
New user
Philadelphia
43 Posts

Profile of MagicDiva
Hey,

Thanks a lot that website was awesome.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26460 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
It's one thing to be "devoted" to an artistic medium. It's another to be motivated and inspired to accomplish some results in a medium.

Whether cards, coins, cups and balls or some other miscellaneous props, it's all about the magic that inspires.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Geoff Latta
View Profile
Regular user
New York
158 Posts

Profile of Geoff Latta
Quote:
On 2003-07-03 03:14, MagicDiva wrote:
....Does any one have any advice on how to become devoted to coins?

I'd think you need to see someone work who completely blows your mind. That's how it happened to me, and everyone else I know that I've talked to about this.

If you find yourself with the opportunity to see a really good coin worker, make the effort to get there and see them. The experience might be what would motivate you.

FWIW,

Best,

Geoff
"There is a thin line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line." --Oscar Levant
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1646 Posts

Profile of mystre71
MagicDiva,

I agree with Geoff,After seeing Curtis Kam on "palms of Steel" I was hooked.

If you can you should try and make the COINvention in sept.
All the best coin workers are going to be there
And if that doesn't get you hooked nothing will... Smile Smile Smile
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
thimblerig
View Profile
Loyal user
Bellevue, WA
271 Posts

Profile of thimblerig
I find myself once again agreeing with Geoff - SEEING a great performance/performer can really inspire you...Even seeing it on VIDEO as mystre71 mentions...(See also Geoff's and my post's elsewhere about whether or not we really read Bobo...When I saw Larry D. do an incredible copper-silver transposition 2 feet away I was stunned. I was amazed. I wanted to be just like him when I grew up, but better looking. Smile Actually, that isn't true, I wanted to do coin magic that good. I wanted to create something that beautiful and strong. He sold me Bobo's and told me to read it. What great advice. It still is.
Best wishes,
tr Smile
PS: The trick wasn't IN the book. Didn't matter. I was off and running....tr
sleightofhander
View Profile
Special user
579 Posts

Profile of sleightofhander
The first time i went to the local magic shop and bought Bobo's and Expert coin magic series from David Roth. That has been the beginning of a love affair with coins. Smile
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5243 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On 2003-07-03 23:27, thimblerig wrote:

When I saw Larry D. do an incredible copper-silver transposition 2 feet away I was stunned. I was amazed. I wanted to be just like him when I grew up, but better looking.

That would be one step down from Quasimodo.

Larry D.

P.S. - You're a sick puppy, and I've always respected that in you.

P.P.S. - The routine you're referring to (I think) was Craig Schneider's and it's unpublished. It made my eyes pop out of my head the first time I saw it as well. About 10 years ago I developed a less-angly and more visual version which I might publish someday if I ever get off of my lazy, um, my Lazyboy recliner.
dmk_kirkland
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of dmk_kirkland
Geoff, would you mind - who and what was it the blew you away?

I find that when someone really blows me away, I often feel like quiting. You realize just how far you have to go!! It usually does turn into inspiration - once that initial feeling of awe subsides.
Cheers,
David
leefoley3
View Profile
Elite user
Texas
402 Posts

Profile of leefoley3
MagicDiva- My advice is to check out http://www.magicshop.com .This is Brad Burt's website. He has a series of instructional videos that are excellent for beginners. He has three videos that are dedicated to coin work. He goes to great lengths to insure you understand exactly how to master the basics of coin technique. As a matter of fact the videos I'm refering to are called "The Basics of Expert Coin Technique Vol 1 and 2" These are two separate coin videos and without them I would not perform coin magic today. But as many have mentioned there are too many sources to mention when it comes to this subject. His vids worked well for me because I only knew two coin slieghts before getting the tapes. Keep in mind, I live in a very small town in the middle of nowhere (no magic shops around for hundreds of miles. No joke.) I had a friend that had a computer when I did not and that was the first site he found. In my opinion I was lucky. Again, as mentioned above, if you can check things out in person, go for it. The more info you get the better. Before I forget I mentioned 3 videos. The third is dedicated to the Spellbound effect and related material. Not exactly where I would want to start,but good stuff to work up to. Smile Lee.
In December of '06 I was diagnosed with a very rare cancer, Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans. One in a million people worldwide are diagnosed with this type of cancer annually. Sarcomas account for 1% of all cancers. Knowledge is power!
Geoff Latta
View Profile
Regular user
New York
158 Posts

Profile of Geoff Latta
Quote:
On 2003-07-04 08:47, dmk_kirkland wrote:
Geoff, would you mind - who and what was it the blew you away?

Roth. I was 16 or 17, I forget which. Had been working hard through Bobo, Buckley, Downs etc. Had some chops, but old school (not that there's anything wrong with that; young guys should try the Eureka Pass if they really want to know what hard is).

I was in Tannen's, the old shop on 47th Street, when Bob Elliot (wonderful guy, taught me my first real coin trick, Spellbound) grabbed Roth and "persuaded" him to do a few things for me and a friend I hung out with and talked coins with in the shop (I practically lived there as a teenager). David was like, "Aw, Bob, you know I don't do coin magic." Bob pressed a little. "C'mon Davie, these guys are serious, show them something." "Ah, ok."

Now, you have to remember, back then, coin tricks were onesies and two-shots, exceptions to that only proved the rule. A routine that used a utility switch was sophisticated. No one did palm-up work. Get the picture? We didn't expect much. And then Roth unloaded both barrels right in our faces.

His hands were always empty of the coins we knew had to be there. Palm up, palm down, at the fingertips at eye height, jumping around, totally natural, utterly convincing, baffling. In the middle of a trick he'd slip, and a coin would be wrapped around his finger, then pulled off, no hole, then explode (that's how I saw it) into a thousand fragment that reassembled themselves into a coin too big for anyone to palm. Insane, totally insane. Our mind were blown. I had never even imagined that sleight of hand could look that good.

I went home that night and cracked the books, reeling from what I had seen. And that was the real beginning for me.

Roth is the master. No one else's work is as clean. If I were going to start with coins, and use video as the teaching method, I'd get his videos first.

FWIW,

Best,

Geoff
"There is a thin line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line." --Oscar Levant
rezamalek
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of rezamalek
I felt apprehensive about coins when first started as well, but then I saw the owner of the magic shop I go to, doing some really killer coin effects that blew my mind.

After a while he was kind enough to show me one of the effects that I was so enthralled with, and I practiced it until I had it mastered.

So maybe that's what you need. Try getting some videos by reed mclintock, or Curtis Kam, and let them blow your minds. You'll be so taken by the effects that you'll have no other choice but become devoted to coins knowing that with lots of hard work and practice you can some day blow minds like they do.

long story short, find a great coin guy/gal to inspire you. Inspiration is a great motivator.
Alexander the Magician
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of Alexander the Magician
Troy Hooser, David Roth and Curtis Cam.

I was hooked once I saw Hooser live. but Roth and Cam just push me further.
If you want your magic pure direct simple VISUAL and just beautiful to watch, pick up his DVD set (Troy Hooser http://www.penguinmagic.com shameless plug) or come to Michigan and see him live.

The only way to become more devoted is to become more devoted, inspiration is a good way to get there, but Only You know what inspires you.

Your best bet is to study a lot of differnt styles of coin magic and see what you like, what grabs you. Smile
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
23651 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I was in the same situation a year ago. I was forced to learn more by performing strolling magic on a regular basis at different resturants. I see many of the same customers. I put more investment into coins rountines. It also made me get certain coin tricks out of my storage closet. If you can find a job where a lot of close-up/strolling is needed, it will help lift more into coins.

Abracadabra,

Dynamike
dmk_kirkland
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of dmk_kirkland
Geoff, thanks for the story. That's a funny line ... "I don't do coin magic".

I've never seen Roth live. I do have one of his Stars of Magic tapes. I think I wore out the section on the retention of vision.

I also remember one of the Doug Henning specials and he did matrix with sea shells I was totally dumbfounded. Guess you could say that's what got me started in shell work .... yes I know that's bad Smile
Cheers,
David
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8655 Posts

Profile of harris
My Nearly Normal love affair with coins started in 76 when I was able to see
Albert Goshman work.

Wow what an eye and mind opener that was.

I had thought you had always wanted to be a

Cary Grant/Leading Man type magician.

Which is tough when you look more like

Jason Alexander of Seinfield and the Chicken

comercials.

Also for more on magic addiction see the

post on that subject. I believe a search

perhaps in the Now that's funny section

should pull it up.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Becoming devoted to coins (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL