The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Any sites with tricks explained? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
shredhead
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of shredhead
Are there any good sites that have trick explained...maybe in a forum or something?
sunnydolan
View Profile
Veteran user
Opelika, Alabama
342 Posts

Profile of sunnydolan
There are, but most magicians call that "unethical". That means don't do it...
An amatuer practices untill he gets it right, a professinal practices untill he can't get it wrong.

Don't wait for oppurtunity to knock, throw open the door, grab it by the throat and drag it inside kicking and screaming.

Magically yours
shredhead
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of shredhead
Well why not? if you can "buy" a trick...whats the difference?

"unethical" becuz someone isn't getting paid?

just wondering Smile
sjballa147
View Profile
Loyal user
Tennessee
278 Posts

Profile of sjballa147
Poor shredhead is going to get "shredded"
lol

Shane
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
OK, here's what makes it unethical. We, as magicians, are obligated to do everything in our power to present as good an image of magic as possible. Everytime an audience experiences a poor magic performance, it reflects badly on all of us. Now some degree of this is to be expected, however, contributing to an increase in this factor, by allowing those who will not devote themselves to all it takes to make a good performance, is simply irresponsible on our part. As such, we prefer that people exert some moderate ammount of effort, showing honest intent towards the art, before they should learn the effects. Such efforts might include purchasing the effects (which I would never recomend) or works of literature (which I would always recomend, joining a club, obtaining a mentor, etc. This is how we are able to be as certain as possible that the people who learn how effects are done, will treat our art with the respect it is due. The system is not perfect, but it's the least we can do.
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
Well said JackScratch. Shredhead I can tell you that you will not make many friends by asking questions like this. You will hear everything from find out for yourself to we don't give out our secrets and lots of other replys. There is no easy or real cheap way to learn magic. Find a magic club and join,go to a magic shop and introduce yourself and get to know people there and come here and try and learn from the many people here that are very willing to help. They are willing to help but they are not goin gto just tellyou how something is done. You have to understand that there are a lot of people that come here thinking that we are just going to give out secrets. Most of us here work very hard to get to where we are today in our magic journey. We learned through trail and error,by reading as many books as we could get our hands on and buying magic and learn it. I do hope you will continue to come here and post and learn becuase there are a great bunch of people here to learn from.

Steven
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
Great posts. some good advice there. I just hope that you take it and start your journey in magic as you should.
I see that you are new to the Café but just take a few minutes and read the rules.
anyway , good luck to you

-Matt
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
SOHA
View Profile
Regular user
NJ
178 Posts

Profile of SOHA
Coinvanish.com gives a lot of help to beginners who want to learn coin magic I can't think of others right now, but there are many.

Wil
lelo
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of lelo
Supporting those sites is like revealing your effects to your audience. A lot of people that have access to those sites are not interested in learning and entertaining but just to satisfy their curiosity.
shredhead
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of shredhead
Yeah that all makes sense...but seriously...how many non-magic folk are out there looking for secrets revealed...i just thought it would be cool to have a site like that...we coudl all share things like that with other magicians

just to clear this up...when I perform I never tell anyone how I do my tricks...just so ya know Smile
sunnydolan
View Profile
Veteran user
Opelika, Alabama
342 Posts

Profile of sunnydolan
The reason we don't have sites that expose the secrets of magic is because then the creators of an exposed effect wouldn't receive due credit, or payment for their effect. If that happened, no new effects would be sold because the creator would know that they would make very little money by releasing it to the "public"
An amatuer practices untill he gets it right, a professinal practices untill he can't get it wrong.

Don't wait for oppurtunity to knock, throw open the door, grab it by the throat and drag it inside kicking and screaming.

Magically yours
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Sunnydolan is both correct and incorrect. There is a mountain of public domain work out there. You could have 50 sites with no overlaping material. Yes, on many exposure sites there are copyrighted works being stolen, legaly because IP isn't covered by those laws. The real problem is that information is like a virus. If you don't keep it contained it spreads like crazy. We try not to post effects anywhere on the net because there are many people who don't know how not to expose. They do it when the perform, they do it when the open their mouth at the wrong time, or even by looking at the wrong spot at the wrong time. The approach we take to secrecy can be viewed as cold and even harsh, but it works as well as anything else that has even been suggested.

There have been some horrible things done to magic. Poor performances, effect mthods screamed out in mid performance, you name it. There is a very very dark side to the kind of genorousity you are talking about. And all of that says nothing about people hard work going unrewarded because copyright laws say I can take the effect you created, discribe it in my own words, and publish it.
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
Well said as always Drew, well maybe not alway s but most of the time..well maybe not..oh forget it..hehehe No really everyone should listen to JackScratch because he has some really good things to say and is on the money most of the time like here.
You could also address the exposure thing by asking yourself,"If I just spent 12 months coming up with this great effect and I wasnt to market it, do I want people stealing it?" New people starting out want so badly to learn everything they can and that is not a bad thing. But you will learn there are the appropriate ways to go about it. I have learned things from others annd from books and I have more respect for myself as a performer as well as having the respect for the people that helped me learn an effect. I am way past the stage of,"wow how is that done", well to an extent that is. I still look at some effects and say. "how the heck do he/she do that?" But rememeber we need to help eachother out in our art form and that does not always mean just telling them how it works. We need to earn the opportunity to learn this art that we so dearly love. Just because someone says they want to be a magician does not automaticly give us the right to know how it is all done. Hope that all made sense.

Happy Magic
Steven
sunnydolan
View Profile
Veteran user
Opelika, Alabama
342 Posts

Profile of sunnydolan
Quote:
On 2006-06-02 22:52, JackScratch wrote:
Sunnydolan is both correct and incorrect.

I don't mean to interupt here, but what was I incorrect about??

Magically yours
Mitchell.Stafiej
View Profile
New user
Quebec
61 Posts

Profile of Mitchell.Stafiej
It all comes down to the basics. Why don't stores give away their products for free?

Answer that, and you've got a good answer to your question.

Mitchell
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Quote:
On 2006-06-03 22:12, sunnydolan wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-06-02 22:52, JackScratch wrote:
Sunnydolan is both correct and incorrect.

I don't mean to interupt here, but what was I incorrect about??

Sorry, could have worded that better. "True, but that is only part of it." Better?
Jonta
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Jonta
I'm not a proffesional magician, and I doubt I will become one, but one of the things I like so much about magicians is that they all keep their secrets to themselves, it might be irritating, but it is still fascinating, and good. I you want to learn how to do a trick, but don't want to learn it so badly that you would buy a magic book to learn it, then you're not woth it. You should stamp in a bit of effort.
Rinse
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Rinse
Shredhead, I hear there's a website called Wikipedia that might have what you're looking for. Smile
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
Lool, I hope that petition will put an end to exposure on that site.

-Matt
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
Hushai
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
460 Posts

Profile of Hushai
I'm confused here. Isn't shredhead's question just about sites like the About.com Magic and Illusion site, where lots of simple tricks are explained, especially for the benefit of beginners? Or the Ultimate Magic site? Or even Magic Café's "Secret Sessions," where free tricks are explained, though only for those who have paid their dues by posting here 50 times? There are many sites like these on the Web -- are you all objecting to those? I don't understand.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Any sites with tricks explained? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL