The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Help! My Vanishing Cane - Doesn't (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mr Secret-ary
View Profile
Regular user
Bath, England
106 Posts

Profile of Mr Secret-ary
Can't quite get the knack: fitting the top works, letting it ping back if loosely extended works - but pulling it out full length then letting the blighter go, just doesn't. It seems too slow and incomplete, even though I'm loosening it a little first as Mr F recommends. Any suggestions please?

(It's a plastic one, if that helps.)
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
In my opinion based on experience, if you want lightning fast vanishes, the metal canes are best. In any event, when you pull the cane out to full length, are you twisting it as you go or just extending it? You should pull out a little and twist, then do it again to the length you are looking for. Loosening a little just before the vanish is good. If you're doing a cane to silk or cane to bouquet, they will cover up some of the slowness.

Dave
Where the magic begins
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I would never just vanish a cane, without it turning into something, expecially with a Fantasio cane. It's best to have it turn into a silk, that's the same color as the cane; this gives the effect of the cane melting into a silk. Diamond cut silks work best because they cutdown on the friction, causing the cane to disappear faster.

I've never had a problem with my Fantasio canes. I read the instructions and experimented a little. Also, always store the cane in the "vanished" state; never store it extended, for long periods of time, because it will make the cane slower.
Ste
View Profile
New user
Italy
70 Posts

Profile of Ste
Hi to all!
I have another problem!
My metal cane has a fast vanish but it doesn't close all!! I mean that it doesn't collapse in its smallest state and unfortunately it doesnt's fit all in my hand.
I think is due to friction when it's near the close position.
There are some oil or spray that can help to close better the cane?
Thank you.

P.S. Whith the Fantasio plastic one I don't have this problem.

Ste Smile
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
A light coat of machine oil usually does the trick. Unwind the metal and wipe is down with a clean cloth and a few drops of oil. You need to do this periodically depending on how often you use the cane. I do mine every 6 months. Dirt and grime can accumulate after extended use.

Dave
Where the magic begins
***Kev***
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of ***Kev***
Will 2 10ft silk streamers fit into a fantasio vanishing cane ?
I am curious. Smile
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1384 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
I haven't tried, but off hand I'd say no... two 18" silks is the most I would go.
***Kev***
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of ***Kev***
McBride does it and it looks good.
He packs it in with a rod.
you can get alot more into a cane than you think !
Take care,
-Kevin-
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2002-10-04 16:46, ***Kev*** wrote:
McBride does it and it looks good.
He packs it in with a rod.
you can get alot more into a cane than you think !
Take care,
-Kevin-

McBride is probably using a metal cane, not a Fantasio; the metal ones have a much stronger action to them. I wouldn't use a 10' streamer, unless it was a TT streamer, in a Fantasio. A 10' X 4" may work in a metal one, although I've never seen it work.
John Born
View Profile
Veteran user
390 Posts

Profile of John Born
McBride does use a (I believe white) Fantasio cane. It cane work, but the chances of the light plastic cane slowing down during the vanish are a lot higher. Having loads from both sides helps solve this issue.
Metal canes are much faster, and more dangerous. Yet you can deal with much larger loads, produce stronger spring boquets, as well as put out fire...
WD 40 or any silicone lubricant will slick you cane right up. Just be sure to expand a little past its usual opening width and wipe down entire cane with a paper towel. Otherwise, the lubricant will keep on showing up an get everywhere.
If you don't mind a bronze color cane, the relatively new Japanese canes (Herekin) SP? or the most dependable, have an amazing locking system, and collapse like "magic".
Hope this helps.

Johnny B Smile
***Kev***
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of ***Kev***
McBride does use a white fantasio cane.
There are 2 10ft streamers in them. and some confetti.
Can anyone explain this ?
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Are you sure they are "in" the cane? I have a black plastic one and two 18" silks seem like they slow it down 50%.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
***Kev***
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of ***Kev***
I am positive.
He demonstrates it as he talks.
I am thinking of using metal canes instead.
Are the tannens metal canes (appearing/vanishing) any good?
Do they match ?
Thanks
-Kevin-
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Help! My Vanishing Cane - Doesn't (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL