The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The April 2005 entrée: Scott Alexander » » Book Me » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1471 Posts

Profile of Scott Alexander
I think books are really important in my magic. What's the best magic book you've ever read?
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

www.scottalexander.bigcartel.com

Website

www.scottalexandermagic.com
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
I have a few "best There are too many to name just one." Classic Secrets Of Magic has been along time favorite. Can't help but mention the Tarbell Course. Modern Coin Magic. I have a few more but don't want to bore anyone.
Dan Monroe
View Profile
Loyal user
Indiana
209 Posts

Profile of Dan Monroe
Well I have read a lot of books in my day but I have to say Mark Wilson Complete Course in Magic. That is the one that got me started in the 70's as a child. Before it was a book it was a course that you got through the mail. I collected bottles to turn in for money to send away for it. I wish I still had those manuscripts. Then in my 20's I saw it came out as a book so I bought it. Now pushing 40 I still find myself flipping through the pages and getting flashbacks of getting that course in the mail. Funny how that magical joy stays with you forever. Gosh I feel like singing ...Memories.. Ha just kidding better not do that I'll get all choked up.

Dan
The power is within us all...I'm just a little more full of it.
danmonroe.bravehost.com
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1471 Posts

I agree. Whenever anyone asks me for good books to start out with, I always suggest Mark Wilson's Course.
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

Website

Karl Miller
View Profile
Elite user
494 Posts

Profile of Karl Miller
I started out with Mark Wilson, as did many magicians in my area, due to the local magic shop. When I worked there a few years ago, that was the best selling thing in the shop, and it still is due to the fact that the place is run by some really great people who want you to get a really good start. Kind of reminds me of Denny. More recently, the Al Baker book from Todd Karr has stirred my creative juices. What a phenomenal book!
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1471 Posts

All of those Todd Karr books are amazing... teaches us that book publishing can be an art too. You can tell that Todd really cares about the art and perservation of magic and it's history. Any book by the Miracle Factory comes highly recommended from me!
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

Website

Allan Given
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of Allan Given
Being an escape artist, the first books that really inspired me were Burling Hull's "33 Rope Ties and Chain Releases" and Gibson's book on Houdini's Escapes. Both bizarre choices I know for a kid starting out in magic, but when the after dinner entertainment consisted of my family handcuffing and chaining me to a chair, it all does make kind of sense...Smile

Aside from that, I would definitely have to go with the Dai Vernon "Inner Secrets" books...
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
940 Posts

Profile of cfrye
The Amateur Magician's Handbook piqued my interest when I was young -- I bought that book for $1.95 from the Johnson Smith catalog and still have that beat-up, falling apart copy somewhere.

Of recent books, Jim Steinmeyer's Device and Illusion is filled with great ideas *and* elegant in its simplicity.
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1471 Posts

I also had the Amateur Magician's Handbook. Great stuff in there.
In regards to Device and Illusion I do the bill in cigar from the book. It has a really clever method.
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

Website

Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1471 Posts

I also had the Amateur Magician's Handbook. Great stuff in there.
In regards to Device and Illusion I do the bill in cigar from the book. It has a really clever method.
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

Website

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The April 2005 entrée: Scott Alexander » » Book Me » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL