The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Public Library (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dan84
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of dan84
Can advanced magic books be ordered from a public library inm the UK?
PhatDad
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of PhatDad
I believe only those with ISBN numbers can be ordered however not many magic books have these as they are printed by smaller companies and have limited runs. Although I could be proven wrong.
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
It could be difficult because a lot of these books have a "specialized Use" that means that they are not available in public libraries.

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Not too familiar with the UK, but most libraries have an inter-library loan system where you can get books from other member libraries through your local one. I've been surprised over the years what books I can get through interlibrary loan. I learned when doing my first doctoral dissertation that just about any book you want is out there someplace and generally, interlibrary loan can find it for you. Always worth a try to ask at the library for a particular book. Worst they can say is "we can't get it"
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
JT Kordesich
View Profile
Regular user
Pittsburgh
118 Posts

Profile of JT Kordesich
Advanced books, I don't think so, but libraries usually have a collection of beginner's books
Illusion: Reality in the mind of the audience.
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
I recently went to the library (in the US) just to see what types of magic books they have. They have some books and videos on magic, however, just your basic beginner stuff that you can easily make yourself. Nothing spectacular.
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
There is a central collection of books in England that your local libruary can order from but unless the book was sold through the usual bookshops it is unlikely to be stored there.
Mustang
View Profile
Veteran user
London, England
316 Posts

Profile of Mustang
Nah mate, only the ones with ISBN's, like Dover publications, and some of the hudarg stuff.
"A magician is one who appreciates the difference between knowing how a trick is done, and knowing how to do a trick."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Public Library (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL