The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Jaks or Better (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicday
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of magicday
Any review for " Jaks or Better " by CW ? Thanks
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
If you're looking for high-tech gadgetry...don't look here. Just (as with almost all Jaks-related ideas) good, commercial, highly performable mentalism. Very simple in operation and performance, and very strong! I recommend it, especially if you enjoy performing with unusual-looking props.

Steve Thomas
kamus
View Profile
Veteran user
Silver Spring, Md
369 Posts

Profile of kamus
I've used it and it is an excellent example of the Mcguffin principle, if you know what that is. It made me laugh when I read the instructions. But it mystified the specs and is beautifully made as is all the CW stuff.
il illegetimi est non carborundum

http://www.davidkanemusic.com
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4306 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
It is a nice, bold, clever and unusual means for a design dupication or to obtain information. The design of the apparatus, which is well made, naturally lends itself to an intersting story or theme. However, this is for parlor or stage use, not for close-up.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Kentrell
View Profile
New user
Cleveland, OH
72 Posts

Profile of Kentrell
I considered buying this; however, when I saw it performed, the ending of the effect wasn't as clean as I had imagined. It was years ago and I don't remember the specifics, but seeing it performed convinced me not to buy it.

K
kamus
View Profile
Veteran user
Silver Spring, Md
369 Posts

Profile of kamus
Quote:
On 2005-05-17 22:53, Kentrell wrote:
I considered buying this; however, when I saw it performed, the ending of the effect wasn't as clean as I had imagined. It was years ago and I don't remember the specifics, but seeing it performed convinced me not to buy it.

K

Hmmm I'm not sure what you could mean by this. All the dirty work is right in the beginning of the effect. If you get as far as the ending, you're clean as a whistle!
il illegetimi est non carborundum

http://www.davidkanemusic.com
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4306 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
I agree with Kamus (any relationship to Camus?)that the ending ends clean and that the beginning of the effect lies the method. It is an excellent, simple and underused effect and method.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
equivoque
View Profile
Special user
862 Posts

Profile of equivoque
I use this effect in every show and build it in with other drawing duplication effects. The audience always loves it and therefore, so do I.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
To give you an idea of how good this can be it is highly ripped off! Even Magic Makers has a version.

Well before CW put out it’s version Dermont Brennan put out a version that he called “Dr. Jak’s Private Reading Plus”. It came with two, very thin, leather, wallets. The wallets were identical except for the “adjustments” made in one of the wallets (the so-called Jak’s wallet principle). The second wallet was to switch out for examination. Actually, you didn’t have the spectators examine the wallet (why would you if it were ordinary?). You pulled it out and used it in an earlier effect (perhaps carried a packet trick in it) or you switched it out and left it lying on the table while you performed another experiment.

I know that some people who look for secrets are disappointed when they see the low-tec nature of the prop. However its use can astound an audience.

I use this little prop for one-on-one readings when I need to impress someone.

Another little trick that I perform with this prop is a currency (bill) serial number divination.

I use it to steal and to retrieve billet size objects (signed bills, marked coins, medallions, even a wedding ring once).

In all, it is a very versatile prop.

Do I like it? Well, I like the concept so well that I have both the earlier Brennan (my first investment in the prop) and the CW versions of the prop. Heck, I even have a Magic Makers version that I got in a grab bag deal. I use it.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Like Harry, I've had a few versions of this effect the earliest one which I think Tannen's sold, one manufactured years back in the U.K. (I wore that out) and the CW one. The CW one is really a specific routine, which comes with an additional prop,in fact they used to spell Jaks' name wrong in their advertising. I actually gave the expensive CW one away to another mentalist friend. I didn't think it would fit into my stand up act.

I'm a long time fan of Jak's stuff, and certainly in the description I have of his after dinner act this effect is not included, so it may be one of the discarded ideas from his notebook, or simply a presentation he never got around to using. Or maybe a presentation for the wallet devised by CW advisors. Clever, but not me.

All sorts of wallets based on this have been released in the past several years but the original is just as effective as ever for close up use. Probably still stocked by Tannens.

Paul.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Jack Dean also marketed an effect with the "Jaks-type" wallet, with (as with all of Jack's things) all credit given. If memory serves me, it's called "Jak O'Card". I have one, and it's a very straightforward, simple effective routine.

Steve Thomas
Kentrell
View Profile
New user
Cleveland, OH
72 Posts

Profile of Kentrell
Magicday,

Did you ever purchase this trick. If so, how do you like it?

K
magiccollector69
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of magiccollector69
I bought it. Got it today. Decided it's not for me and will sell it for $65 postpaid within the U.S. Cost from Viking was $95. PM me if interested.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Jaks or Better (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL