The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Generation Xtreme dvd (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SuperMagic
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of SuperMagic
Does anyone know if the explainations on this new dvd is a lot better then the original one?
Jonas
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1065 Posts

Profile of Jonas
I heard they are a bit better.

Also that Brian have a ponytail.

Havent heard much more. Smile
http://www.youtube.com/jonashaglund < Card flourishes and some other stuff.
kxxcheng
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of kxxcheng
WHAT he got a ponytail?

Eww. He's not hot anymore.
Karen
in flames
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto
1030 Posts

Profile of in flames
I have it but I had no chance to watch it all. Brian's teaching is pretty good. I have both Show-Off VHS, Gen X DVD and the Heckler DVD. I'd have to say (so far) his instruction on this DVD is clear. Better than any of his other stuff. He talks during the explainations instead of that awful, monotonous voice over in Heckler and Gen X.

Yup. He does have a pony tail. He had one in the Heckler DVD as well.
DeadPeopleAllOver
View Profile
New user
South Carolina
36 Posts

Profile of DeadPeopleAllOver
I have the new Generation X dvd. The explanations in the video are atrocious. I haven't seen the original, but I find it hard to believe that the explanations could be any worse than the new one.
Some of the moves are explained pretty well, but most of them aren't at all.
I dunno, maybe it's just me.
in flames
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto
1030 Posts

Profile of in flames
Quote:
On 2005-06-03 21:58, DeadPeopleAllOver wrote:
I have the new Generation X dvd. The explanations in the video are atrocious. I haven't seen the original, but I find it hard to believe that the explanations could be any worse than the new one.
Some of the moves are explained pretty well, but most of them aren't at all.
I dunno, maybe it's just me.

I wouldn't recommend this dvd to beginners. Not to say your a beginner, I obviously don't know that. How long have you been practicing for?

Which one do you have, Generation X or Generation Extreme?
DeadPeopleAllOver
View Profile
New user
South Carolina
36 Posts

Profile of DeadPeopleAllOver
In Flames:

I've only been practicing card magic/flourishes/xcm for about 2 months, but I think I've progressed pretty quick and have familiarized myself with the art. I definitely know a good teaching dvd from a bad one.

The dvd I have is Generation eXtreme. I have several other dvd's and books, but I just thought most of the moves on the video weren't taught very well.

Don't get me wrong... I'll benefit from this dvd, just like many others will. But don't expect multiple camera angles and instructions that are rich with detail. Maybe my other dvd's and books spoiled me. Anyway, I do like the dvd and will learn from it, it'll just take a little more rewinding - which is ok.

What did you think of it?

Correction...

I actually had a chance to sit down and watch it. Maybe the instructions aren't that bad after all. I guess I didn't give it my full attention when I watched it the first time. So I apologize for unflattering review I gave it earlier.
in flames
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto
1030 Posts

Profile of in flames
Quote:
On 2005-06-04 21:36, DeadPeopleAllOver wrote:
I just thought most of the moves on the video weren't taught very well.

Don't get me wrong... I'll benefit from this dvd, just like many others will. But don't expect multiple camera angles and instructions that are rich with detail. Maybe my other dvd's and books spoiled me. Anyway, I do like the dvd and will learn from it, it'll just take a little more rewinding - which is ok.

What did you think of it?

Agreed.
I pretty much thought the same as you. I would have liked better angles ect. I'd say its about a 10-20% improvement over Generation X.

If anyone seen the Show Off videos and was able to learn from those. You wont have a problem learning from this. As far as Tudor and his less than stellar teaching. This is his best so far.
xformer7
View Profile
Veteran user
Central NJ
309 Posts

Profile of xformer7
I have not seen Gen X so I can't compare. On its own, the teaching in Gen eXtreme is at best challenging to follow. With two hands on the deck, you need eXtreme dexterity in your toes to control the DVD player so that you can rewind, slow down, etc..

The camera angle also makes it difficult to follow. For many of the explanations, an over-the-shoulder or overhead view would have been beneficial.

Finally, some form of repetition during the teaching would have been helpful. Break down the move and then put it back together. For example: Break down the "Speed Cut" step by step, show it all together at half speed, then show it at performance speed. Throw in a different angle along the way. As it is, I am forced to search back to a non-indexed section of the DVD in order to see the Speed Cut at performance speed.

Anyway, I think Penguin dropped the ball on putting together a highly instructional DVD. Having said that, I think Brian Tudor has much gold in there that makes the effort worthwhile.
Chris Keppel
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City MO
544 Posts

Profile of Chris Keppel
Its not penguin. Its brian who wants to teach like that. Penguin tried to get him to give better explanations. It sounds funny but that is brians version of better. The moves and the material is killer. The teaching is a little hard but hey, that's brian. You are correct though, a lot of those moves are gold. Its a nice dvd if you already have some skill. For the begginer, ohh..... stay as far away from this dvd as you can.
www.chriskeppel.com
Kepp's Custom Carbon Fiber
God-glorified
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of God-glorified
I watched Generation X and really didn't think the explanations were all that bad. Most of the stuff I knew how to do so there werent many truly needed explanations. (card controls, slip cuts, false shuffle, tenkai palm.)
Ephes. 2:8-9

For by GRACE are ye saved through faith; and that NOT OF YOURSELVES: it is the gift of God: NOT OF WORKS, lest any man should boast.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Generation Xtreme dvd (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL