The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Chen Lee's Water Suspension. Should I get it? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

VMC_Alex
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of VMC_Alex
Should I get this trick for Christmas? And if I do, what do you think would be a reasonable price to buy it at?
alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1956 Posts

Profile of alexhui
Hi,Alex,
It's a great trick. But a very good presentation is needed to perform this one. For the price,check it around the Internet and you will find your reasonable price.
Cheers,
Alex
To support 100% honest and unbiased reviews: Donate by PayPal

For BRUTALLY HONEST consultation for your upcoming projects, PM me.

YouTube: Alex Magic Review
YouTube: Themis Magic World
Instagram: @AlexMagicReview
Instagram: @ThemisMagic
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
The question is where and who you will perform it for. It is an excellent mini-illusion. It requires about six feet of separation from the spectator and a place where it can be controlled both before and after to avoid exposing the secret. It is really designed for a stage setting and if you are only going to get it for non-commercial venues, no, don't get it. You would be better off investing another ten dollars and get a Paul Harris, or Michael Ammar book for the money. If you are just beginning with stage/parlor and are willing to invest the time for a proper presentation, it will be a valuable tool in your collection of effects. I use it for small groups, and charity shows, for kids and the disabled. I have a small oak trunk that I use to control these types of props, so the secrets are not exposed, and put a masterlock on it when done performing.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
charliemagic
View Profile
Special user
545 Posts

Profile of charliemagic
I agree with KingStardog. I have had kids yell "I see the Glass" or "I see something" etc., etc., as they look from the ground up.
Even though it may be my fault for not taking control of my audience, I stopped using it.
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
828 Posts

Profile of David Regal
This is one of my favorite effects - I did it at kid shows as a teenager. I recently bought another (a secondhand one) at a swap meet because I like the trick so much - and it's a great value for the money (it used to cost about five bucks when I was a kid - now it's probably up to fifteen). I noticed that over the years some poorly-made sets were put on the market. These poorly-made sets did not use a properly-sized celluloid gaff, but simply a smaller glass inside a larger. You want a nice-fitting celluloid gaff! So I'd say yes, get it, but make sure you ask about the gaff.
Grandillusionsmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of Grandillusionsmagic
I think for the $15 or so, it is worth it. I couldn't think of when I would use it but now I use it all the time.
I think it is a great trick just to have.
Grand Illusions
Magically,
GI
www.boisemagic.com
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Profile of Snidini
Magic magazine ran an excellent routine a few months back regarding this prop teaching kids just how important education was. I wish I could remember the exact month, maybe August or September but it was good enough to make go out and pick one up. I soon added it to my children's show and adapted some of the routine to fit my own background. The routine does seem to capture the kids attention and I have used it on early teens also with the same effect.

Scott
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Quote:
On 2003-01-12 18:10, Snidini wrote:
Magic magazine ran an excellent routine a few months back regarding this prop teaching kids just how important education was. I wish I could remember the exact month, maybe August or September but it was good enough to make go out and pick one up. I soon added it to my children's show and adapted some of the routine to fit my own background. The routine does seem to capture the kids attention and I have used it on early teens also with the same effect.

Scott

http://www.sillymagic.com/columnseducation.htm
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
magicbob116@yahoo.com
dragonash
View Profile
Veteran user
the sticks
380 Posts

Profile of dragonash
When pouring water into the can during performance I have had a problem with the water making a loud splattering sound as if it were pouring into something.

to kill this sound I now position the works towards the front of the can and tilt it slightly towards the audience. I aim the pouring liquid to hit the inside front wall (of the thing it is supposed to hit).

instead of holding the can by the sides I hold it (with the left fingers and thumb) by the top front edge. the fingers point more to the right than straight down.

there are a couple of viewing advantages to this grip. 1) the hand obscures flashing of the witherspork from the top. 2) the slight tilt towards the audience and positioning of the hokus toward the front of the can prevents flashing from the bottom.

unfortunately it may look suspicious.

readers, please post further thoughts on handling.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Chen Lee's Water Suspension. Should I get it? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL