The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Doug Dyment's Sign Language (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicalDesignPro
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of MagicalDesignPro
Can someone please share with me their experiences in performing this on others. How does it go over - what are your opinions on the effect and routine?

Also, what are the similarities/differences to Max Maven's Contimental?

THANKS!!!
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Well, one big difference between Contimental and Sign language is that, with Sign you divine a person's zodiac sign, with Contimental, you divine a European country that the specator is thinking of.

s
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Max Maven himself also had an astrology sign version, to be found (I think) in his book Thavant, where Contimental first appeared.

T. A. Waters has an astrology sign version in Mind Myth and Magick, Al Smith in England marketed one. The first marketed version was Ray Grismer's "What's My Sign".

However, having read Doug's "Mindsights" I have no doubt his take on this effect would be worthy of study for anyone interested in it.

Paul.
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
One of the best things about Doug's version is that he has some very well thought out ruses for turning the obligatory misses into hits.

--Andy
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
MagicalDesignPro asked:
Quote:
Can someone please share with me their experiences in performing this on others.

For what it's worth, some of the users' quotes listed on the Website (The Deceptionary) discuss their experiences doing this for various audiences. In fact, there are more than two dozen opinions to be found there, and I encourage anyone interested to peruse them.

Incidentally, Grismer's version was called "What's Your Sign?", though for some reason almost all magicians refer to it as "What's My Sign?"

... Doug

Users of Sign Language who might be interested in a French language modification of same can find it on the Deceptionary Website (it can be accessed from the "information" page). You'll need a password from your copy of the book.

... Doug
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
I like Gary Kurtz' verison of "What's My Sign". He seems to be able to work it into lots of his routines right were it is needed.

Lee
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2002-10-18 19:18, MagicalDesignPro wrote:
Can someone please share with me their experiences in performing this on others. How does it go over - what are your opinions on the effect and routine?

Also, what are the similarities/differences to Max Maven's Contimental?

THANKS!!!

"Sign Language" is a great effect. However, you can only do it correctly or not at all. Anything less than a "correct" performance results in a real stinko routine. It is not an easy routine to perform correctly. Actually, it can be an easy routine to perform correctly--but only if you really practice and practice and practice until you can do it smoothly. Anything less than perfection, will reveal the method and make you look really dumb.

Another great manuscript by Doug is "Mindsights".

If you memorize and practice Sign Language and two or three of the effects in Mindsights, you will have a great impromptu routine for when you are asked to perform and you have brought nothing with you. (Note, by impromptu, I don't mean it takes no effort or preparation. All of Doug's effects take lots of "preparation"--but that preparation is in the practicing.)

Turk

P.S. here are the URL links for these two Doug Dyment effects:

http://www.oratory.com/mindsights/mindsights.html

http://www.oratory.com/mindsights/signlanguage.html
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Doug Dyment's Sign Language (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL