The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » AC/DC levitation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dutch illusionist
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
96 Posts

Profile of Dutch illusionist
Hello everybody,

Where can you buy a levitation that can go up and down
for a price between $1000 a $2000 dollar?

A levitation that you can perform with 2 people without a stagehand.

Hope to hear from you.
Magical greetings,

Dutch illusionist
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Build your own using the simplex Levitation Plans on the Magic Auction. It's a worthy $21 dollar investment to see how the basic design can be made.
Dennis Michael
Dutch illusionist
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
96 Posts

Unfortuently I am waiting for your Multi-Purpose Levitation without a stagehand Smile

Is there a video of a simplex levitation somewhere on the net?
Magical greetings,

Dutch illusionist
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
You should rethink the Multi Purpose Levitation. Big deal....get a stage hand for this illusion. If you want to levitate and have the person go up and down..... yet not have a stage hand...you're asking an awful lot for under $2000.

If your show is large enough to have an up/down levitation then its large enough to have a stage hand. If not then maybe a suspension would be better for you.

Best,

Tim
Dutch illusionist
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
96 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-07-11 09:48, Timothy Drake wrote:
You should rethink the Multi Purpose Levitation. Big deal....get a stage hand for this illusion. If you want to levitate and have the person go up and down..... yet not have a stage hand...you're asking an awful lot for under $2000.

If your show is large enough to have an up/down levitation then its large enough to have a stage hand. If not then maybe a suspension would be better for you.

Best,

Tim

Hi Tim,

It`s just that I don`t want to use a stagehand for the levitation. I can`t imagine that there is someone behind the backdrop that is pulling a rope or something for the levitation.
Magical greetings,

Dutch illusionist
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
It could be made electric no problem but like any other electric illusion there will need to be someone to start and stop it backstage so you would have the same problem. I find a person back stage is more dependable than an out front switch anytime.

Best,

Tim
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1174 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
I agree with Tim that perhaps you should be looking at a suspension. They are much easier to use in smaller shows and some suspensions, like the Blaney 2001, don't require any assistants or special lighting. At the end of the show I'm not sure the audience would have a perceived difference between a suspension or a levitation...they just remember that somone was floating in the air.

Mike
Dutch illusionist
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
96 Posts

Is it realy true that the audience doesn`t noitice that it is a suspension instead of a levitation? They see that the assistents isn`t going up.

Maybe it`s just a feeling of me but I think that a levitation is more atractive for the audience (and more show). Lady is going up ... and with the finaly she is going down.
Magical greetings,

Dutch illusionist
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
A levitation is more powerful, this is where the MPL can be both a seemingly a suspension then it becomes a levitation. The biggest advantage of the MPL is the versitile usage.

The momonwnt it becomes motorized, these devices are not cheap, and they add, (my guess) about an additional $600 in costs, not to mentioned the necessary modifications that need to be done so it can be motorized.
Dennis Michael
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Now, Now....we can't have our cake and eat it too.

If you want a levitation where the girl goes up and down then you have to be prepared for at least one of the following...

#1..Spend a lot of money....OR....#2..Use an assitant backstage with a levitation like the MPL.

Regards the audience judging the up and down feature missing from a suspension..take a look at this video of Walter Blaney's Ladder Levitation

http://www.timothydrake.ca/images/ladderlevi.mpg

Best,

Tim
Dutch illusionist
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
96 Posts

You should give an aplause too, if you saw Pamela laying down Smile

My point in The Netherlands is, If they see on TV Copperfield flying they expect the same from an illusionist. They want to see the illusion that someone is floating up and down.

Maybe I am to critical but if I see that ladderlevitation the first thing that I dislike is that you see that she is still laying on a table.
Magical greetings,

Dutch illusionist
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Ok...at this point my advice ends here. I can see I am waisting my breath on an amateur.."wanna-be-copperfield-overnight".

Don't be offended...I recognise that trait in you because I had the same attitude for years. I remember those days when I dreamed of wowing the crowd with fantastic levitation effects like the big timers. I could hear the applause in my head and see the crowds standing on their feet . In those days I'd see the ads for the Ladder Levitation and think...."What a joke...the ol' floating board illusion" . It was nothing like I imagined, its time had come and passed and it was way beneath me and the magic I wanted to do on stage. I'd stick to realizing my dream of other levitations on a huge stage!

We'll....I never did get that huge stage levitation. Too much money and too much hassle. I've worked professionally for 10 years since then and played many many venues that would never have fitted a large levitation but ...oh would the Blaney Ladder Levitation have ever worked there. I now regret my original opinion and wish that I could afford one. It would have let me levitate a person in just about any venue and give me a better reputation faster. Its not just the effect but also the huge advantage that it travels light and plays in very small places..with no stage. Walter toured the country for years in a station wagon! Practicality is an important part of magic. Don't you think Walter would have liked to perform a levitation like Kellar...of course he would..but that doesn't quite fit into a car ..does it? You ask for practicality by saying you don't want to use a stage hand let you want to fly like Copperfield??? Correct me if I'm wrong but I think David uses a stage hand or two to achieve these effects...does he not?

Oh....and speaking of Copperfield...that guy that your audience regards so high that you have to match him ....David Copperfield refers to his Blaney Ladder Levitation as " One of my two favourite illusions." When his equiptment was being held by the Russian mob he used his Ladder Levi in a recent tour. Here is a page for you to look at.. http://www.walterblaney.com/illusions/historyll.html
you'll see photos of both Copperfield and Lance Burton using the illusion.

This forum is to help other magicians and that is the only reason I am taking the time to educate you on the dreaming, non productive attitude you display. Don't be an idiot like I was.

One last thought....Did David Copperfield start with his flying illusion day one??? No he didn't he worked his way up over many years and had the business sense to utilize the genius of props like the Blaney Ladder Levitation.

Now at this point...people with experience in the field are offering you advice and you're giving us the ol' ..but I want to be like Copperfield...NOW. Save this posting on paper and read it again in 10 years and you'll laugh at how silly you were to ignore the advice given you in this forum.

Best,

Tim
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1174 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
There is a Gamolo levitation for sale at Magicauction.com for $2350

Here is the description:

GAMOLO
The only portable levitation system
in the world. Lightweight quiet and vibration free. Will fit in the back seat of a regular sized car. Wheel it in only 70 lbs total. No complicated chain belt driven motors, complicated electrical circuitry, No pumps, hoses, tubes - No problems. Packs down into a 32 inch square case only 5 inches high with handles and sturdy rollers. No special backdrop - No extra Assistant - Self contained. Performer can control mechanism or have the floating assitant control the rise up to 5 feet from the floor. No dress or Gown required assistant can wear short pants or any abbreviated costume. Performed by top professionals - featured by Siegfried and Roy. Remember this is not a suspension but a real levitation that you control as your assistant rises up to 5 feet from
the floor.
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Good points Tim. I am currently in the process of moving from Parlor and Close-up to stage work and I am very familiar with the attitude you are describing. I found it a great help to look at Copperfield's first couple of TV specials. He's doing stuff like the linking rings, milk pitcher, even a version of the coloring book! Everything was well thought out and maximized, but he did not rely on super-sized illusions for entertainment. Even if you see Copperfield live today, he still utilizes a lot of smaller magic very well. His duck bucket routine is great, but he does nothing with it that was out of reach of any magician willing to put the work into the routining.

Thanks,
Richard
Dutch illusionist
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
96 Posts

Timothy, first of all thank you for your time to make that post.

I don`t want you to have a negative image of me. (I am not a mister ego)
And I now I can learn a lot from you.

Like I said in my post:
The audience from The Netherlands want someting like Copperfield. The truth for me is I don`t want to be like Copperfield. The audience want something like that because they see it on TV.

I don`t want a fly like Copperfield in my show (too much setting up time and too expensive and not practical).

The reason that I want a motorized levitation is because I don`t want to use a stagehand that is a bodybuilder. Maybe I got a wrong image about the stagehand (I see it like heavy rock that the stage hand must pull to get someone up).

Quote:
This forum is to help other magicians and that is the only reason I am taking the time to educate you on the dreaming, non productive attitude you display. Don't be an idiot like I was.

Glad I can learn something from you and I feel a little shame comming up.
But I want a advice from you because you got the experience.

If you can choose from 3 illusions, which one should you take?

- Gamolo levitation
- MPL (3 in 1)
- Blaney Ladder Levitation (suspension)

Don`t get me wrong, but like I said before maybe I look to critical to the illusions. If I see someone levitating a person on a table instead of `only the person floating` I think the effect is less impresive. If I follow your text you say that the audience don`t have that that opinion?
Magical greetings,

Dutch illusionist
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
In your situation I would choose the Blaney Ladder Levitation. With the right performer behind it it can be an extremely memorable performance. It is easy to store and easy to tour [with] I really think it may be the best option for you at this point in your career.

Nick Fox
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
I'm so glad you didn't take offence to my post. If I seemed a little strong in my wording its because I'm still mad at myself for being so narrow minded in my earlier days of magic. If I can only pass some knowledge on to someone else before they make the same mistakes I did then I will feel much better. Forums like these are great for passing on such info.

The Blaney Levitation ( suspension ) is beyond your budget so we will have to cross that one out for now.

I know a little about the Gamalo levitation and although the girl may be 5 ft in
the air the travelling distance is not that far. I think about 18 inches. You'd have something like a suspension and the girl would rise off of that. It was a long time ago that I saw the plans for it so I'm not really qualified to comment. Maybe others who are familar with it can jump in and offer better advice regards the details.

The MPL..... is one of those things that you'll have to use some imagination on. Its not one of those " girl lays here and floats up " illusions. It CAN be but there are so many options with it...its up to you to decide what to do with it to get the most effect for you . Its the Th*** T** of levitations. I will be building mine soon from Dens plans and have his permission to lend it to a freind who is touring with a show. Both my friend and I have entirely different ideas on what to do with it...yet its the same prop. My own opinion is that MPL stands for Many Presentations Levitation...LOL.

Without sounding like a sales rep for Den...let me say... It packs down and travels in a car, its not expensive and its presentation effects are almost endless. It can't be performed in all the venues that the Ladder Levitation can as there are some staging requirements but you seem to be quite concerned about effect and I feel you could come up with some nice effects with this prop. Check with Den to see if it will work for your available staging.

Keep reaching for the stars regards the effect you want to present to your audience. ( a good showman always does ) But..keep your feet on the ground and stay realistic as to what effect you can properly perform today. Perform it well and tomorrow you may perform the next level you seek. Its one step at a time.

Good Luck,

Tim
Dream-Concepts
View Profile
New user
UK
95 Posts

Profile of Dream-Concepts
If you're going to get a suspension (and on your budget) get yourself one of the high-end Harbin "Chair Suspension's" (with the take away board) and spend the rest of the money on getting a professional Director / Magic advisor / Writer to craft it in to a good routine.

Dream-Concepts
Our annual sale of Costumes & props is now on - view them at www.IllusionExchange.com
Son of a Beat
View Profile
New user
Montréal, Canada
82 Posts

Profile of Son of a Beat
If you are not flying like Copperfield, a well performed suspension (Blanney,...) is more magical than a levitation. Spectators have some gaps to fill with their imagination. Showing the "real" thing is not magicial as suggesting. Except if you are doing the big Hollywood thing.

Work on the convincers (moving the ladder, the hoop).
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
The Magellan Master levitation, with the duo presentation, as shown in this video. Please note that this is not something that I present regularly, thus the rough edges...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIUD9IjEoQU

JF
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » AC/DC levitation (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL