The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2005 entrée: Richard Osterlind » » Just a thanks » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Elmsley4
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of Elmsley4
Mr. Osterlind:

My first exposure to you was from Mind Mysteries, still one of my favorite DVD collections. Since that time, I have looked around and bought everything just about that you've produced. I even found an old copy of your "Three miracle routine" booklet I picked up. I just wanted to let you know how great your work is, and how it has become a standard compared to most all other magical effects I see. If you ever make it up to Ohio, you've got a fan!

Sincerely,

Joel R. Gabelman
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Joel,

Thanks so very much for that. I am not far at all from Ohio. I am only about an hour south of Cincinnati.

Hope to meet you someday.

Sincerely,
Richard
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Joel, are you in Columbus? Did I meet you at the SAM meeting last week?

*jeep!
--Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
petronski
View Profile
New user
Peter Thorpe
3 Posts

Profile of petronski
Hi Richard, I recently bought your 4 dvd set and love every minute of them.Great routines ,wonderful expos, well shot , and your sideways comments about convincing the audience that you are a mere mortal , doing things that they too may be capable of ,are as important to me [a beginner in the pond of mentalism]as the bits of business.But you KNEW I was going to say that , didn't you? Cheers from the land of Oz. ciao Peter.
petronski
View Profile
New user
Peter Thorpe
3 Posts

Profile of petronski
Hi Richard, I recently bought your 4 dvd set and love every minute of them.Great routines ,wonderful expos, well shot , and your sideways comments about convincing the audience that you are a mere mortal , doing things that they too may be capable of ,are as important to me [a beginner in the pond of mentalism]as the bits of business.But you KNEW I was going to say that , didn't you? Cheers from the land of Oz. ciao Peter.
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Peter,

Thank you for those words. I will repeat what I have already said so as to add to your insightful thoughts. Most of us like to put ourselves in the place of the star. That's why many men like action movies, science fiction, fantasy, etc. We like to "become" the hero and do the things he does. Women (and I am speaking in generalities here - I know there are exceptions!) like love stories, romance, the "softer" things in life. I can only go by what I see, but I believe women also like to put themselves into the "starring" role. If we do something that appeals to our audience, something they wish they could do and makes them want to put themselves in our place, we will be accepted and applauded. You can't do that if you come across as somebody too "different". You have to be a normal person, like they are, who somehow has learned to do these things. That gives everyone hope that they, too can get over the impossible problems of life and conquer those obstacles that keep them from being happy.

Richard
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
It's the Batman Syndrome.

When we're youngest, we want to be Superman, able to overcome any hurdle with little effort. We're powerless as children, and we (at least we used to) know it. At this stage, we love the more flashy magic - and we're not as interested in the final result as we are in the "getting there."

As we get older and we realize that we can't just wave a magic wand to make things better, we all too often lose our fascination with magic and with hope. (Many lose their faith in anything.) Batman then becomes a character which moviegoers can appreciate, because we think that IF we trained, and trained, and trained (and had a bazillion bucks) we could do that too.

This is where mentalism hits us. I don't agree with Annemann that mentalism is a more grown-up form of magic. I think that mentalism falls into the category of a form of magic which seems useful, and can fit an adult's power fantasies a little easier. I might love to watch or perform the cups and balls, but I can find no real world use for them. On the other hand, life would be SO much easier if I knew what my wife was thinking, or could control the thoughts and choices of employers.

I'm overstepping my expertise or authority here, at least as a performer. Have watched on the sidelines for 46 years, and this is what the relationship between magic, mentalism, and the audience looks like to me.

Of course, if y'all want some REALLY strong thoughts on these relationships, I again refer you to http://www.osterlindmysteries.com/storemrm.htm and the other two essay books in the Osterlind Trilogy.

*jeep!
--Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Man, all these people I am going to have to pay an advertising fee to!
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
To steal a perfectly good Marx Brothers line: If it's "fee," you don't have to pay.

*jeep!
--Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Chet,

I'm going to talk to Steve Brooks about getting you banned for bad jokes! Smile
markjens
View Profile
Loyal user
N. CA
213 Posts

Profile of markjens
I would like to add my thanks (remember what this thread was called?) to all the rest. Everyone who has seen Mr. Osterlind perform can attest to his skill with people and with his performance, but what some may not know, is that he is such a good person. He has a big heart, and if you watch his performances on video and stop watching just how good he is at what he does, you will see something else; he CARES about those people to whom he is speaking. He CARES about the audience and the experience they are about to have. I want his viewing public to know too, that his caring doesn't stop *on* the stage, but continues long after the perfomance is over. Mr. Osterlind has never met me, but his kindness to me has been expensive, and while I regret that it will embarass him, I wanted to publicly say, "Thank you."
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Smile
markjens
View Profile
Loyal user
N. CA
213 Posts

Profile of markjens
Gosh, did I type 'expensive'? I meant extensive!! Sorry Richard, I hope I didn't get a bunch of needy magicians camping out on your front lawn '8) Sorry, and be well, sir.
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Mark,

I thought you did mean "expensive". Now I am dissapointed!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2005 entrée: Richard Osterlind » » Just a thanks » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL