The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » A name for a stage magician? help! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cardcaptor
View Profile
Loyal user
tagaytay, philippines
257 Posts

Profile of cardcaptor
Can somebody help me? I don't know if this is the right place to post this, if I'm wrong in posting this here in the new to magic page I'm sorry.

I'm a new stage magician and my problem is this, I don't know what stage name I will use if I'm doing shows. I like names that is weird not that usual names like amazing... magic... I don't like using those names, I like using some weird names and unique. my kind of stage magic is like nicolas lepage magic. visual and not almost for kids.
can you guys advice me on what magical name can I use?

thank you!

cardcaptor
ILLUMINATI: Brotherhood knowing to be unusually enlightened with regard to the art of magic.

in memory of... SWIFTSHIFTER

"The art that purports to control or forecast natural events, effects, or forces by invoking the supernatural"
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Why not use your name? Seems like the best are using theirs, or at least close approximations, Lance Burton, Mac King, Phil Goldstein, er... well maybe not Phil, but you get the idea.

A stage name needs to be based upon your stage personna, what is yours? In fact there is little we know about you, your profile says nothing. Tell us a bit about yourself and your goals in magic and maybe we can come up with a name for you. Something that does not end in an "i". Smile

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
cardcaptor
View Profile
Loyal user
tagaytay, philippines
257 Posts

Profile of cardcaptor
My goal is to put visual stage magic to its higher level, and I'm a filipino.
I want to be a unique stage magician here in the phillipines and I'm not more on the childrens type of magic but I do some kids show. I want to do very visual tricks and illusions. I always want to be unique in everything that I do. I want to do a different type of stage magic that the people will talk about after they watch my show.

thank you for advicing me about the name, maybe ur right the I use my name in my stage shows.

thanks!

cardcaptor
ILLUMINATI: Brotherhood knowing to be unusually enlightened with regard to the art of magic.

"The art that purports to control or forecast natural events, effects, or forces by invoking the supernatural"
JohnLamberti
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
420 Posts

Profile of JohnLamberti
For the love of all that is right and good in the world: Do NOT just take your name and put "-ini" after it. God, that's the most unoriginal thing in the world
cardcaptor
View Profile
Loyal user
tagaytay, philippines
257 Posts

Profile of cardcaptor
I'm not planning to do that because for me its also not uniique and if I do that I will feel akward during my show. I also don't like to use some tag names like that. hahaha!

thank you for advicing me mr johnlamberti!

thank you!

cardcaptor

TCM
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of TCM
Quote:
On 2005-07-19 00:21, JohnLamberti wrote:
For the love of all that is right and good in the world: Do NOT just take your name and put "-ini" after it. God, that's the most unoriginal thing in the world

Ha, I would hate my stage name as tht - Tonyini
unilogo
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas , NV
359 Posts

Profile of unilogo
Fabianini here telling you some advice ..haha...joking.

I don't see how you could ask a forum for a direct answer. Just like any artist it MUST reflect who YOU feel you are as an enterntainer. No offence, but if you can't come up with a stage name, what makes me think your show in good or creative AT ALL?

I call myself "The outsider of magic," but that is just a sub name. I feel fits who I am as a performer.I believe you should put some hard work into thinking who YOU are and then make up your OWN name.

None of us knows us as good as you do yourself. So I doubt any of our ideas would be as good as yours.

Non the less if suggestions are all you want:

Cardcaptor?!The obvious choice.
"The magic of...." "No limits."

Frankly I would use my own name , period. Or a variety of it. Most artist mix middle name along their whole name. Don't get to "cheesy," and ridiculous. Unless you feel that is your persona. In which case you can't be wrong.

Good luck and have a great day. Smile
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
The problem with a purely artificial stage name is that people will never know who YOU are. Any reputation or goodwill that is developed over the years will be associated with the name and character you play on stage. But what happens if, as your career develops, you should become tired of your chosen name and character? Now you may have to completely start over and re-market yourself as an unknown.

On another note, blatantly artifical names become quite obvious to the spectators. This creates yet another psychological barrier between you and your audience. Over the years, I have learnt that one of the keys to positive audience response is the ability to make a personal connection with them. They need to feel like they know and like you as a person. This is hard enough to do on stage, but how in world can they "get to know you" if you don't even use your real name?

For these reasons, I recommend using your own name (or some variation of it). You could add a Tag Line to associate with your name. For instance, my tag line when I introduce myself is simply: Kenny Wong - Magicman! But when I say it, with a fake Superman pose, and a raised egotistical eyebrow, it always gets a response.

Anyways, that's just my thoughts on the matter.

The Great Kentini?
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » A name for a stage magician? help! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL