The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » Using A Web Cam (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Shawn74
View Profile
Loyal user
New Mexico
211 Posts

Profile of Shawn74
I've read on hear about the benefits of using a camcorder in practicing. I've read of a few of you that also use your webcams. Being that I don't perform professionally, but still would like to be the best I can I have decided that I should try this method, so I have a few questions. Which do you prefer, webcam or camcorder? I understand that both more than likely have their drawbacks. What are some, and how do you overcome them if you do? What is an inexpensive webcam that still has great quality video and the softwarewith this. Also, is it cheaper to invest in a webcam or a tripod, as I have a camcorder, but nothing to set it on to approximate an audience. And if I shot straight on, it doesn't look like I'm performing close-up, b/c I have to stand so far away.

Sorry for the long post, but I am really interested in using this technique and possibly gaining the confidence to actually go out and perform once I can see what my effects look like from another's point of view.

Thank You
Shawn
Hold your breath...make a wish...count to 3... and you'll be in a world of pure imagination
Willy Wonka
onezero1
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of onezero1
You'd need a savage webcam to give the cold clarity of a camcorder.
A webcams lens will usually be a lot smaller in diameter and doesn't let in much light. With a camcorder on a tripod you will have much greater freedom, Its also much easier to get your whole body in shot and still be able to see the fine detail of an effect. Webcams are great for practicing and fireproofing technique.
Camcorders are better for full on rehearsal and fireproofing YOU.
'though it stands to reason that a samurai should be mindful of the Way...it would seem that we are all negligent.
landon
View Profile
Regular user
Alberta, Canada
158 Posts

Profile of landon
I use a webcam for practising because I can't afford to buy a camcorder right now.
For me it works fairly well, but I too have the problem of having to stand far back to fit everything in. My webcam sits on a stand, so I try to just tilt it downwards to try to fix this, but sometimes it moves around. All in all though, it still helps me to learn sleights faster and easier.

The webcam I have is a Logitech Quickcam Messenger. It cost me about $50 and it comes with all of the necessary software. It is very easy to use and it has fairly good video quality, especially for the price.

I reccomend getting a webcam for practise if you don't already have one or a camcorder.

Hope this helps!
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......08&4

Here is some more information on the subject.
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
HusssKarson
View Profile
Loyal user
Ca, US
265 Posts

Profile of HusssKarson
Web cam usually lags a little though.
yutszfung
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of yutszfung
The lag of the web cam can make a trick to a miracle
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » Using A Web Cam (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL