The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The August 2005 entrée: J.C. Wagner » » Bar magic » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

David French
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of David French
Hi JC, I am very excited to see you as a guest here on the Magic Café. Just had a few questions for you. How did you start in Bar magic? Do you actually bar tend as well, or just do magic? Any suggestions on how to get into this field?

Thanks!

David
JCWagner
View Profile
1944 - 2010
100 Posts

Profile of JCWagner
Hi David, I stared tending bar right after I got out of the Air Force in 1969. Yes, I make the drinks too! But, you have to keep your eye on the bar and chose the time to due your Magic! The person your working for wants to see that register Ringing! (GTFM) as we say in the bar buiness! How to get into a bar and work it is another thing! First of all, you have to know how to make the drinks. Have a grat personality! Like people know matter what they may say to you or about you! Make your effects short and simple, not to much time. Keep your eye open for who needs another drink and people comming into the bar that you must wait on. It's a lot of work! But once you fell comfortible behind the bar or plank as we say, you'll be able to due anything and control your bar your working at. Finding that right bar is another thing all togther. It must be a place that the owner needs some help building his buisness. Other words, he's got a nice place, but nobody's there and you have to show him that what you can due, is bring people in and you can keep them there for a second drink and want to come back again with there friends or wife/girl friend. Word of mouth is your best advertisement believe me! Keeping what I've said in mind David, plan on being a little let down on your first atempt at this. It is'nt easy my friend, but if you truely want to be behind a bar, what I've told you could open a few doors. Good luck and don't give up.

Best, J.C.
Check out my magic here.
Andy Charlton
View Profile
Veteran user
Palma Nova Mallorca Spain
311 Posts

Profile of Andy Charlton
Brilliant Answer. Says it all.

Andy
"Keep that smile on your face, that excitement in your eyes." - Don Driver

Check out www.andyandjeansbigadventure.com
or
www.andysmagic.com
ImpromptuBoy
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
898 Posts

Profile of ImpromptuBoy
Thank you for the tips J.C. But what actually made you start working at the bar?
JCWagner
View Profile
1944 - 2010
100 Posts

Profile of JCWagner
Impromptuboy, A friend of mine offered me a job at a Yacht Club. I had to learn how to make the drinks and keep the bar clean! Thay's what I did and when I got to know some of the members that would drink at the bar, I started doing a few card tricks. One thing lead to another and I was doing Magic all the time when I was at the Club. I got a few private shows out of it also. I stayed there for 2 years and Bob Sheets came back in town from working with Heba Haba Al in Chicago and wanted to do Magic some where in San Diego. When he found a place and started performing and built the buiness up, he asked me to work with him on Friday and Saturday nites at the bar. The place was called MARCOS ITALLIAN RESTERUANT in Coronado. The rest is history. The place Rocked with Magic and we had a ball doing it. that's how and why I got into the bar buiness. Hope this answer your quistion.

Best, J.C.
Check out my magic here.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The August 2005 entrée: J.C. Wagner » » Bar magic » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL