The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Richard Osterlind's Principles of Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
It is 12 minutes after midnight. *Principles of Magic* went on sale only 11 minutes ago. I have not finished reading it (though I am a speedy reader), and will take my time to re-read quite a bit of it before I travel further.

I am also in immense pain. It hurts very much to sit up in front of a computer to download a PDF and to read it. (Therefore, I'm now downloading it to my PDA and going to bed to read it.)

The above two statements tell you that I think that *Principles of Magic* is important enough for me to rush this review and to stay sitting up to finish it at all. It's important to rush it - NOT so I'll be the first to comment on it (magiccentric.com reviewed a preview copy already) but so I can impress on you that this book's publication will mark a significant moment in magic's history. From this moment on, there are no excuses left for poor magic.

Richard comes right out and states, immediately, that this book is not the end of this - and, indeed, it wasn't the beginning. He tells us that the Tarbell series is the closest thing we have to a guarantee of perfecting our magic. What this offers is hope and training to get from "possible" to "practical" with our work.

And he takes a very high, very precarious road here by stating that there is a great moral obligation which comes with *creating*. It's precarious because far too many people do not want to hear that there are any moral obligations, especially with passion. But Osterlind insists that passion, morality, and obligation are all integral to true creation, especially of art. And he insists that we do not have a right to NOT create art when we have the capabilities of it right in our hands.

This book is going to create a lot of discussion and, hopefully, a lot of controversy. He doesn't back away from the tough topics; indeed, he makes them chapter headings. ("Magician's Ego," "Guilt," and several chapters which are designed to shatter cherished beliefs of magicians.) And he steps in the middle of an argument which proves to be - no argument at all - and shows that "both views are erroneous."

Mind you, it won't get as much on-line chatter as "Chris Angel is/isn't using camera tricks and stooges" but it will probably have a longer lasting effect.

I've only read about 1/3 of it, and have skipped through the rest. Now I'm going to lay down and slowwwwly read the whole thing, and stop and think and re-read a lot.

Letting you know about this was worth the pain. Pain heals. Knowledge is eternal.

*jeep!
--Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I now have
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
I just ordered and am awaiting the confirmation, etc. to download. I am very eager as I love all of Richard's writings. I had no idea this was out until I read your post, Chet. This made my weekend!
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I purchased this recently, and I have to say that is well worth the asking price. I own a lot of Mr. Osterlind's marketed items (many from "back in the day" from Busby), and he is one of those guys whose name I trust implicitly when I am making a purchse. If I see his name on something when I'm shopping, I have no hesitation in making the purchase if I've got the money.

This book keeps that reputation and confidence alive for me. Deep thinking, articulate expression of ideas, and a fearless attitude in addressing an important topic all add up to making "The Principles of Magic" not only a winner, but a must-have.

Thanks, Richard!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Hollyfeld
View Profile
New user
North Shore, Massachusetts
62 Posts

Profile of Hollyfeld
Could someone please point me to a place where this book can be purchased. Thank you.

Scott--I love your quote in your signature.
Did you know there's a guy living in our closet?
--You've seen him, too?
Who is he?
--Hollyfeld.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5474 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
mindsynced
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of mindsynced
Will put this one on my list. Boy, my purchasing finger has gotten sore over the last couple of days.
Keith Brown
Entertainer, Speaker and Author
"Exceeding YOUR Entertaiment Expectations"
www.keithbrownentertainment.com

"Making Magical Memories~Teaching Biblical Truth"
www.keithbrown.org
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Richard Osterlind's Principles of Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL