The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Stage Illusions » » School Talent Show...any pro want to help me?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
This is probably posted here a lot, but I have a school talent show coming up...and I am well known for the CLOSE-UP magic I perform. I would like to do some stage magic for the talent show. The only effect that I know..that is even close to stage magic is Richard Sander's Fiber Optics. I honestly don't know if that effect would even work considering where I am performing the effect.

The talent show is going to be in my school auditorium...it's like any normal stage and the place hold 400-600 people...give or take. There are no screens or anything like that (I wish)....so basically what effect would you experts recommend. I am up for basically anything...of course since I don't perform stage magic, a $1000+ effect would be ridiculous. My price limit is probably around $100.00

THANKS FOR ANY HELP!
~joeKing
bcookmagic
View Profile
Elite user
seattle wa
472 Posts

Profile of bcookmagic
Hey there Joe, How much time are you looking to go? What is your timeline untill the talent show? Brian
If your not having fun doing what your doing....dont do it!
WWW.BRIANCOOKMAGIC.COM
joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
I have atleast a month...not too sure on the date YET
~joeKing
leondo
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
759 Posts

Profile of leondo
Is there a proscenium? If there is, UF Grant's Carboard Box production of a person will devastate an audience.
Need more info...pm me.
Ted (Leondo)
bcookmagic
View Profile
Elite user
seattle wa
472 Posts

Profile of bcookmagic
Is that like the victory cart illusion? If so you can produce your table and an assitant and it is very cheap. With such a short time I would try to see what you are currently doing now that can be applied to a large audience. Brian
If your not having fun doing what your doing....dont do it!
WWW.BRIANCOOKMAGIC.COM
joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
2 months is a short ammount of time? Most difficult card sleights/tricks take me a month at most to get done to a performance level.

Plus according to my friend the show is going to be moved to the spring this year...so that should be ample time correct?

Also since I have no idea what effect you guys are talking about...could you show me where they are for sale?

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HELP!
~joeKing
joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
I am interested in the Grant's Victory Carton.

I am trying to think of the motivation behind it in a school talent show...maybe I would make one of the chearleaders appear??
~joeKing
RWhit
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of RWhit
Many rope tricks can be seen on big stages.Colour change silk .silk to egg,wear clothes of a colour that will show up the props
Mack Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
The Burgh' Pittsburgh, PA
268 Posts

Profile of Mack Magic
If you are into closeup, you can turn the Magician's Insurance Policy trick into a stage effect and you can play it out real well. I believe some magician did it in the world's greatest magic series, where they had used even jumper cables to try to "connect" with their volunteer and try to find the right card or they had to pay up. I had my own variation and it had a good response.
Dove pans are relatively cheap and great. People love seeing a burst of fire and a cake/candy ect being made. Mentalism could do well for you depending on the time you got. For something different you can check out Losander for bubble type effects. Really you can make it any way you want depending on what you want.
Just my 2 cents..
Mack Magic
* "May your life be like toliet paper..long and useful."
* "If the shoe fits, get another one just like it."
* "Use the talents you have, for the woods would be a very silent place if only the best birds sang!"
ChristianR
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of ChristianR
Hey joe! What State are you from? You should check out a SYM, IBM meeting in your area. Mark wilson has some stuff in his book if that's what your looking for. I have a talent show coming up too.
Tarbell!
magicguy67
View Profile
Loyal user
mEL.fLORIDA
287 Posts

Profile of magicguy67
100 dollars can get you two good tricks that's all I can say.ok maybe 3.
they thought it was impossible until they met me.

theres no reality in magic

did the magician come before the assistant or the other way around.
MagicFingers
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, FL
230 Posts

Profile of MagicFingers
This would cost you about $70 to build and is quite powerful. Have a look...

http://www.julianbondmusic.com/troupevanish.html
Julian Bond
Musician / Magician
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4540 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Yeah if you were to end the talent show with a bang, troupe vanish looks like the thing
tropicalpenguin
View Profile
Veteran user
396 Posts

Profile of tropicalpenguin
Cardiographic anyone?

Cheap, (can be made for less than $50), takes very little practice, and is an EXTREMELY powerful piece of magic
-The penguin has spoken Smile

-How could 52 pieces of cardboard ever bring so much joy?
negrette
View Profile
Regular user
Washington, DC
178 Posts

Profile of negrette
I think Andrew Mayne's Illusion Impact series might work for you as well. They are cheap to build and relatively easy to perform, for the most part. Obviously they should be practiced, but I don't think it would take too long for you to get them down to performance level.
Mallusionist definition of the Simple force: The cards are fanned and if the spectator tries to take the wrong card, the magician holds onto the deck really, really tight.
http://www.mallusionist.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Stage Illusions » » School Talent Show...any pro want to help me?? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL