The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Halloween (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Quote:
What do you mean by "Strawman"?

An argumentative technique in which The arguer easily knocks down a proposition never offered by the opponent (usually weaker than the true proposition) and then attacks it as if his opponent had offered that proposition.

One sees it in annoying campaign ads: Candidate X opposes a law that would allow warrantless searches of private households looking for illegal aliens, and Candidate Y claims "My opponent supports illegal immigration."

I'm not sure I agree 100% that I used that technique - perhaps Chessmann did not, himself, propose some of the things I ridiculed, but I maintain that such things are examples of the type of hysterical thinking engaged in by many (perhaps even most - certainly the most vocal) opponents of celebrating Halloween.

It's unpleasant to rely on ridicule (as I have) but some people make it so tempting - certainly ridicule may be called for when something is ridiculous.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Ross,

I visited your website last night. Enjoyed it. Nice to see you offering the kind of entertainment that you do for kids.

Mark
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Quote:
I visited your website last night. Enjoyed it. Nice to see you offering the kind of entertainment that you do for kids.

Kind of you to say, thanks.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Michael238
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Michael238
There are a lot of good ideas on the Halloween DVD from Kidabra.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Halloween (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL