The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » "Think a Drink" (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
mikefallen
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of mikefallen
The pshycology behind the trick is amazing and I suppose one strong concept is the fact of the magician making audiences believe that he poured much more drinks that he actually poured! There are several versions but I must confess, the major does not appeal to me... Anyway, it is always good to study them and understand the concept of the illusion...
The pieces of history posted here are lovely... please keep the funny stories
john wills
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of john wills
Besides all the "problems" of performing this act,
I can give you a clue if you are searching for the recipe:
google: lick-essences-be
click on top the english version.
You will find different liqueur essences.
At he bottom of this page you will find a basic recipe
( distilled water, sugar and alcohol) for the "filler".
Cheers!
P.S. Don't forget to add food colors.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I was recently informed by a friend that some machinist in Arizona had posted a statement on his web site in which he claims that someone who is a "self-appointed expert in all things magic" had stated on TMC that the Any Drink Called For act would only work during Prohibition. Since I have never claimed to be an expert on anything, I'm sure he isn't referring to me.

Checking over my past statements, I simply quoted what Burling Hull told me.

Burling stated to me that Prohibition was one of the reasons the act worked so well -- to quote him: "After all, nobody is going to complain about free drinks!"
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I should also add that I have seen several of the modern performances of the "Any Drink Called For" act, including various versions of "Hospitality" and Steve Cohen's version of ADCF. Steve's version is excellent. Some of the performances of Hospitality were good, some weren't. All of it depended on the skill of the performer as an entertainer and a magician.

Since Steve is both a skilled magician and a skilled entertainer, this should come as a surprise to nobody.

One of the main differences, though, in all of these performances, is that Hoffman's act was the mainstay of his show. The others, wisely, are doing a small segment, and that's what I think it takes these days.

As an aside, many magicians spend much more time prattling than performing magic. Good scripting, much of which is simply removal of excess verbiage, can improve an act noticeably. Frequent performances also serve to improve performances.

Steve Cohen's act is an example of excellent material combined with excellent scripting and frequent performance.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
mikefallen
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of mikefallen
I agree with Bill...
mikefallen
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of mikefallen
I agree with Bill...
Altough I have seen better versions than steve Cohen`s... I do think he oes not hit on the spot of the any drink as an act. Still, nice tosee
Bursky
View Profile
New user
West Hollywood, Ca.
78 Posts

Profile of Bursky
My book on a CD is now out.
THINK A DRINK
Look for the review in Genii and Magic magazine. The review should be the April issues.

Alan Bursky
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
BILL’S ASIDE: “As an aside, many magicians spend much more time prattling than performing magic. Good scripting, much of which is simply removal of excess verbiage, can improve an act noticeably. Frequent performances also serve to improve performances.”

How can I say a loud enough AMEN?
How can I second (third, and fourth) your opinion?
There are books on this (including mine) but who reads?
I’ve seen films of our “classic heroes” and many prattled.
Magic magnifies in power 300% with a good clean script and premise.

Think-a-Drink deserves this care and respect!

Magically, Walt
latentimage
View Profile
Elite user
No More Room In Hell..
438 Posts

Profile of latentimage
Does anyone know where I can get this new Bursky book?

Best,

Allen
"Come to the edge," he said, They Said "We Are Afraid," "Come to the edge," he said, They Came, He Pushed Them...And They Flew. -Apollinaire

"If there be a skeptical star, I was born under it. Yet I have lived all my days in complete astonishment." -W. MacNeile Dixon
Bursky
View Profile
New user
West Hollywood, Ca.
78 Posts

Profile of Bursky
For those interested in buying my new CD Book,
THINK A DRINK

Alan Bursky
PayPal
ThinkADrink@aol.com
$33.00 cd plus $2.00 PayPal fee
Plus shipping. $2.50 continental USA
$7.50 Canada & Mexico
$9.50 Europe.
First class shipping.
So you can figure out the total depending on your location
Thank you,
Alan Bursky
RonjoMagic
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island NY
138 Posts

Profile of RonjoMagic
I highly recommend Alan Bursky's Think A Drink. It is enjoyable and comprehensive. Alan worked very hard to compile all the material in the 75 page book. He somehow obtained every detail of every version of this effect and reprinted "with permission." Everything that you need to know.
Jim Stienmeyer wrote the forward. This is the last two sentences of the forward, reprinted without permission. Here’s a chance to evaluate different methods and consider different approaches. Here’s a chance to assemble your own version of this popular mystery and, perhaps, make a little bit of your own history.
johnmagic
View Profile
Regular user
13419 fitzhugh road austin tx 78736
109 Posts

Profile of johnmagic
One of the best think A drinks on the market today is built by Nick Wenger. If you want to fool Magician‘s and lay . he’s figured it out six different drinks come from one kettle.. completely automatic you can even add more than six a total of 12
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Watching the old films of Kalanag doing the bar act sure makes me wish I spoke German. His pacing was great.
I also regret that I never got the full dope on the act from Mystic Craig who was one of the very early performers of it and he supplied the essences for it.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Bursky's book is thorough and useful. Highly recommended!
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Steve Cohen's version is excellent. He very ingeniously combines several methods (at least three!), each of which cancels out the other. The night I saw it, the audience went nuts for it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » "Think a Drink" (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL