The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Where is the magic??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
I am always positive when it comes to magic, but in this case something needs to be said.

When people buy tickets to go to a magic show, they expect to see magic, not singing, dancing, origami, etc.

This is an example of a recent experience I had of not getting what I paid to see -
I recently went to a magic convention where they had a theater show which was advertised as a night of magic. We ended up leaving early (after 3 hours and it started 45min late) Of the 2 1/2 hours of watching with my guests, we only saw 30% magic. The rest was singing, dancing, paper folding, no so funny jokes, etc. One example was a guy playing a banjo and singing hillbilly songs for around 30 minutes. We though there was a problem backstage and they were trying to kill time while waiting for a real magician to come back out.

Is it so hard to find real magicians to perform? If I wanted to see singing and dancing, I would certainly not buy tickets for a magic show. Instead I would go somewhere to watch people who were really good at this sort of thing.

This was particularly embarassing since I told my friends ahead of time that this was going to be a great magic show and we traveled from afar to see it.

Don't get me wrong, there was some great magic, but you had to be very patient to wait for it.

Since this was a magic convention, there were many great magicians there who could have performed... so why didn't they?
Mike Perrello
DC Area's Leading Family Entertainment Expert
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
The extravaganza may have been produced and directed by a "Theater type" rather than a magician. If so, sit there and shut up! soak up the culture and diversity that IS the theater! We know what is best for you. <Please read the previous statement with all the pomposity and sarcasm you can muster> Smile

Frank Tougas Smile
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Quote:
On 2005-11-15 09:52, Frank Tougas wrote:
The extravaganza may have been produced and directed by a "Theater type" rather than a magician. If so, sit there and shut up! soak up the culture and diversity that IS the theater! We know what is best for you. <Please read the previous statement with all the pomposity and sarcasm you can muster> Smile

Sorry, Frank, but I don't agree with this. This wasn't theater. From the short description, it sounds more like a variety show pulled together from whatever was available. Maybe the producer intended to do a magic show and then ran into problems and had to fill the bill at the last minute. Three hours is a long evening to fill, which tells me a lot right there. Also, the fact that it started so late raises several flags.

I'm not about to guess on so little information, but it almost sounds like a show that went wrong somewhere.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
The show actually lasted close to 5 hours. We left after 3 hours because it was getting very late, we were getting very tired and bored (we were not the only ones leaving). I believe that there was some good magic after we left. It would have been a perfect 2 hour show if the extra time-wasters were not included.

Frank - The problem here is that everyone did exactly as you said; "sit down and shut up" because we are too afraid to speak up when something is not right.
Mike Perrello
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Holy smokes... five hours? Was that a show or an endurance contest?
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
I was pointing out the absurdity of the show by being absurd. A five hour show is insane by any standards. Sounds like every act on the bill performed their entire act rather than having a well put together variety show with eight to ten minutes from each.

Would you care to tell us what convention this was?

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Quote:
On 2005-11-15 23:30, Frank Tougas wrote:
I was pointing out the absurdity of the show by being absurd.

I know... but when you said a "Theater type," the hairs on the back of my neck stood up Smile

Quote:
Would you care to tell us what convention this was?

Yeah!
www.georgefledo.net

MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
Daytona Magic Convention
Mike Perrello
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Where is the magic??? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL