The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » What's that you're reading? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
The One
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of The One
WOW! You are exactly right Jonathan! I should've noticed that before
I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end...
I came here...
To tell you how this is going to begin.
Mark Storms
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, WA
393 Posts

Profile of Mark Storms
I am asked about 50% of the time that I perform for a new person "Where did you learn how to do that". I either reply, "lots of practice" or "in various different books on magic". Most say that is pretty cool and still respect you for your skill. I have also pondered weather or not that strengthens or weakens what I have just done for them. Im just not sure.
Find out what you cannot do.., Then go and do it!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Again... they want to talk, this time to tell you they admire the magic.

you are free to simply respond with a question like "did you like it?" and perhaps add "my teachers sometimes like to hear that" if you want to build some mystique. or if you are old or egotistical enough you can tell them you invented the thing and want to know if it's a keeper. either way, keep it all about them, they really don't want to know how much skill or money or time or ... was involved.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Quote:
On 2006-02-03 17:58, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Again... they want to talk, this time to tell you they admire the magic.

either way, keep it all about them, they really don't want to know how much skill or money or time or ... was involved.

Right on the button, Jonathan.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2039 Posts

Profile of jimtron
Quote:
On 2005-11-26 13:48, landmark wrote:
Okay, let's see if I can make this a little more interesting . . .

I'm reading the Barrie Richardson book; she asks me what am I reading. I say a book about magic. Now she says, "Oh that sounds interesting. Mind if I take a look?"

Now what?

Jack Shalom

I agree with what others said; how much are you going to get from a Richardson book after briefly flipping through it, especially if you know nothing about magic or mentalism? On the other hand, what if she wants to know the secrets? What if she says, "wow, I don't understand this, but it looks fascinating"? Give her the title and author, and she can buy it, like you and I did. Or go to the 793.8 section in the library and learn magic for free, like many of us have. I don't see this as a problem, personally.

Quote:
Noone should be learning or practicing magic in public. Magic should not have the impression of a skill that can be learned.

I think most people have heard of magic sets, magic books, and magic stores, and realize that magic is an art or craft or trade or whatever that anyone can learn. Do you think most people believe magicians were born with the skill?
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Quote:
Just the other day I walked into the local Borders and saw, right there in the vestibule, a stack of magic sets right next to the juggling kits and other craft stuff.

And you notice that these things have not put any magicians out of business.

No, no, NO! You can't learn how these things are done, they're closely guarded magic secrets passed on to us by masters, practiced in private for years and jealously safeguarded from public exposure! If you found out about it I would die!

[*snicker*]
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Right on Ross,

And don't mind if new books appear on the shelves discussing "three fly", the latest in gaffed coins, the wonders of USPC and their willingness to print any sort of cards we want, etc etc. How about a public and explict discussion of the latest material from Osterlind and Ammar so the casual buyer can get their local B&N or Amazon to order the set for them if it's not on the shelf?

Or is there something we are ignoring in this process?

Any problems with someone posting a complete discussion with illustrations of "professor's nightmare" and maybe some related material?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2005-11-21 09:18, Skip Way wrote:
If you're ashamed of magic...you might need a new avocation. Just a thought. I love it when a holy roller gets on my case about being a magician.

Skip

I doubt this is a case of shame. It may be a case of "that's none of your business." In this particular case, I think I would answer that it was a book a friend of mine wrote about his public speaking experiences.

I would not say, "I'm a magician, and this book is about how people perform mindreading effects."

Or maybe, I'd wait for a tuba solo and break wind. That usually moves an unwanted spectator about 3 feet from me. Smile
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
jgravelle
View Profile
Loyal user
Milwaukee (Head shown not actual size)
270 Posts

Profile of jgravelle
Don't wanna be bothered? Try:

"Oh this? I'm supposed to find a hobby as part of my twelve-step recovery program, and I'm considering magic. It's hard to find something I can do that won't violate the terms of my parole, though. Let's see... (thumb through the pages)... rope tricks are out... handcuffs are out... sawing a lady in half... heh, that's what got me into trouble to begin with..."

Regards,

-jjg
tomrav
View Profile
Regular user
Middlesbrough,UK
167 Posts

Profile of tomrav
Ultimately, I don't think it really matter what you said. There are arguments on both sides. I must admit, I'd be hesitant to say I was reading a magic book for the reasons you said.

Tom R
JJDrew
View Profile
Loyal user
Arizona
221 Posts

Profile of JJDrew
Quote:
On 2006-02-02 14:30, The One wrote:
Noone should be learning or practicing magic in public. Magic should not have the impression of a skill that can be learned.

Oh please elaborate on this. What is your rationale for this statement? It could be the beginning of a very interesting discussion!
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
I find my audience apreciates a little human feeling. They like to know I'm a real person. No, you shouldn't expose, or by action alow things to be exposed, so practicing in public is kinda bad, though not for flourishing, but come on, you don't have to be a flawless atomiton.

As for answering the question. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Be a human being and just answer the question. I wouldn't give any details I didn't have to. Certainly don't just say the name or author of the book, but say "I'm a magician and I'm reading a book about magic."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » What's that you're reading? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL