The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Sponge Ball Sizes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Timothy
View Profile
Regular user
Alabama, USA
174 Posts

Profile of Timothy
I ordered some sponge balls the other day.
1-1/2" sized. But it occurred to me that this was my preference, and wondered...what size spongeballs lend themselves (if at all) to walk-around or close-up routines for regular effects?

1", 1-1/2", 2", 2-1/2", 3"?

(insert "big balls" joke here) Smile
RandomEffects
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
323 Posts

Profile of RandomEffects
While I was always a fan of 1 1/2" supersoft balls, I am now leaning toward the 1/2" size.

The reason being is that for walk-around you do not have to worry about visibility, a 1/2" ball is fine for tableside. The 1 1/2 is so big that when they examine it they can see how much compression their is and takes away from the trick, although only slightly.

So really it comes down to a matter of opinion, play with different sizes and use the ones that are most comfortable for you.

Mat
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
I use 2 inch Super Softs for walk-around. I think the bigger the ball the more impressive the trick. Spectators like the larger balls! Smile
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I like the 2" balls as well. The larger the better the vanishes look. I find the smaller ones harder to do a retention vanish of any kind. Also, if you keep them in your pocket, all sponge balls compress so the 2" don't get too squished.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Dave Le Fevre
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1666 Posts

Profile of Dave Le Fevre
I like to use Goshman Super Soft, as large as I can comfortably handle. 2" or 2½".

However, if you're strolling around with the balls in a trouser pocket, they'll be crumpled when you take them out. So, for that environment, use cheap sponge balls. You can squash them in a pocket, and they'll unsquash several hours later into a sphere. Not quite so nice to use, but you can still get two of them into a spectator's hands as one ball.

But I'm no expert.

Dave
The Ozzy Osbourne of the 34x27
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I use 2" Supersofts when strolling, but
1 1/2" work well for the stand-up routine that I do.

I've seen Steve Hart use 3" Supersofts to great effect. They take some getting accustom to. He keeps them a little moist to keep them from crumpling and sprays a little cherry air freshener on them so that spectators don't just think that they're handling sweaty sponges.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
In a pinch you can just take them out of your pocket, cup your hands around them and blow into your hands a couple times. This provides enough moisture to bring them back to life.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Timothy
View Profile
Regular user
Alabama, USA
174 Posts

Profile of Timothy
Are the "new" Goshman Supersoft balls that are supposedly less prone to squishing and wrinkling any different?
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
947 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
Actually, I take my 2" Super Softs, and run a tiny bit of water through them, before a performance. This makes them way softer, more plaible, and easier to classic palm (should you need that artifice). Wring out whatever residual water may exist, and plod on.

Goshman advises water as a reconstituter as well. Try it. I'll never go any other way--I know I seem passionate about this arguably goofy advice, but sponge balls really are a big part of my act. I am hoping to release a video of a killer sponge act someday, and I'll be covering this subject as well.
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
I like 2" but for walk-around where there are going to be small kids I use the 1 1/2 because thier hand are small. for stand up I use 3" Frank is right the 1 1/2 is harder to vanish than the 2".
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Sponge Ball Sizes (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL