The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Harry Anderson stories (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ellen Kotzin
View Profile
Loyal user
UPSTATE, NY
280 Posts

Profile of Ellen Kotzin
Anybody have any Harry ANderson stories from the past--seeing him perform on the street or otherwise?

Ellen
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
I can relate a second hand Harry story. <-- Second Hand Harry? Now that is a name for a character.

Anyway...

this friend of mine works for a big magic dealer here in Boston. At a magic convention this guy's room was right across from Harry's.

About 2 in the morning this guy is going up to bed and he notices Harry's door is open.

He looks into the room and there is Harry, big as life, standing in front of the full length mirror, surronded with piles of stuff he just bought in the dealers room.

Harry is going through every trick he just bought and doing it for himself in front of the mirror.

He sees my buddy and says, "Hey come in here and check this trick out!"

He said the grin on Harry's face was like a guy who just won the lottery. He spent the next 2 hours going through every trick in the room.

The guy truly loves magic.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
947 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
I love Harry Anderson, and his "Tricks of My Trade" television show was a nice potpurri of things--to include the most scaled down, and yet wonderful cups and balls.

No personal anecdotes from me, however.
Ellen Kotzin
View Profile
Loyal user
UPSTATE, NY
280 Posts

Profile of Ellen Kotzin
Yes Tricks of his trade is awesome with the wallet and money trick--and of course the silly pen thru tongue bit.
It is much better than his SIDESHOW since in this show you get to see his magic upclose.

Ellen
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
947 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
I also happen to think that Harry Anderson is overlooked as a great performer, but he's awesome. Wry, witty, a bit smart-alecky, and a cat-ate-the-canary sensibility.

His experience as an actor is an overwhelming asset, as we are all actors in a sense. "Tricks" was one of the coolest shows I have seen, and I appreciate his showcasing of some of those other talented people (a juggler and a ventriloquist come to mind, although their names a far gone from my little gray cells).

--Ron
Ellen Kotzin
View Profile
Loyal user
UPSTATE, NY
280 Posts

Profile of Ellen Kotzin
The Ventriloquist> famous ventriloquist of the Lefthanded league is Jay Johnson.He used to play on SOAP (comedy from the 70s).

The Juggler> as witty, Turk Pipkin, writer and performer as well as Harry's partner in crime. Also LHL member. They even got their vasectomies at the same time!

They both have been on many specials with Harry. I interviewed them for our fan club newsletter...they have some great stories about what kind of acts they did in the past.

Both are the ONLY right-handed people tho! HA!!

Ellen
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
947 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
Isn't Turk Pipkin the guy who wrote a clowning book?

it would make sense, as juggling seems to be a staple of the intrepid, studied clown.

--Ron
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
Quote:
On 2002-11-17 14:24, harryandersonfan wrote:
The Ventriloquist> famous ventriloquist of the Lefthanded league is Jay Johnson.He used to play on SOAP (comedy from the 70s).

I always thought Bob was funnier than Jay...Smile
fwee
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of fwee
Hey Ellen and Ron,

Was Tricks of my Trade a TV special or is it on video? I would have loved to have seen it.

--Fred
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1223 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
Tricks of my Trade was a special I believe on CBS in 96 or 97. I know he also featured the Card on Seat as well. I lost my copy of the tape but would love to purchase one if somebody is willing to make a copy. I had asked Meir Yedid if Harry planned on releasing this, and he said not for some time if at all.

Michael
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
Ellen, it looks like you know more about him then me and you probably have his book but I remember reading about him getting a broken jaw while performing street magic in San Francisco by a man that didn't like getting fooled.
Ellen Kotzin
View Profile
Loyal user
UPSTATE, NY
280 Posts

Profile of Ellen Kotzin
Quote:
On 2002-11-21 10:04, Ron Giesecke wrote:
Isn't Turk Pipkin the guy who wrote a clowning book?

it would make sense, as juggling seems to be a staple of the intrepid, studied clown.

--Ron

YES! In fact I used it as a TEXT book in our clowing class in college!!! The best 4 credits I ever took!

Ellen
harryandersonfan.com Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Harry Anderson stories (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL