The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » When I was a child... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DanTheMagicMan
View Profile
Regular user
Edgewater, Maryland USA
139 Posts

Profile of DanTheMagicMan
A big part why I love magic is due to the magicians I saw as a child (I am now 40+). I hope that I may inspire a child or two with my magic shows to continue the art...

One magician that I remember as a child was the late Bob McAllister. Bob may be remembered for his contribution of several effects to the magic community and his syndicated T.V. shows from New York back in the 60's/70's, "Wonderama" and "Kids are People Too". Before he moved to New York, he had a local T.V. show in Baltimore Maryland in the 60's. The local fire department hired him for their carnival for several years. He did a magic show and did some vent work. I also was fortunate to be on his show (he would have a dozen or two kids on each show).

Another magician was the late Stu Kerr, another Baltimore Maryland T.V. celebrity who had a local show called "Professor Kool's Fun Skool". He also was hired by the local fire department for their summer carnival. A puppeteer who worked with Stu on his T.V. show was Kevin Clash, who is now better known as the voice of Sesame Street's Elmo.

Some of the effects I remember as a child are Hippity Hop Rabbits, Spot Can, Spot Card, and Professor's Nightmare. All these tricks are still in most child performer's suitcase today.
Dan The Magic Man
e-mail:[email]info@familymagicshows.com[/email]
web site:www.familymagicshows.com
MagicEvents.org - View or subscribe to upcoming magic events and birthdays.
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Nice subject Dan. I am 50+ (just!) and never saw a party entertainer as a child though do remember seeing David Nixon on BBC TV and thinking him absolutely wonderful. There was also the late great - both in name and stature - Tommy Cooper who was a uniquely accomplished performer. In my workings as a piano player as a young man I was sent out to work with various kids entertainers by an Agency and could not believe the amount of feedback from children the entertainers got compared to that of a musician. I guess I decided then that it was for me. First kids trick I saw performed was "The Man in the Moon" die box, the old one with the 1950s storybook type faces - made by Davenports I think. I was inspired into cabaret marionettes by Roger Stevenson's work. It started off sourly though as the guys (one in particular) I had worked with never spoke to me again! Such is life. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » When I was a child... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL