The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The November 2002 entrée: Dean Dill » » A French version of Dean's Box ? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ferris
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Ferris
Hello again, Mr Dill!

This is Ferris from France again.

I noticed an advertisement (2002) from a magic dealer from France called "Climax". They are selling your "Dean's Box":

http://www.magie-climax.com/Pages/pdf/5_2002.pdf

Scroll down to the bottom of the first page and the top of the second page to see the details.

It seems to be a different version, though: the design looks a bit different, even though the effects (as described) are the same as yours. The box is also cheaper than yours: they sell it for approximately $140.

They mention it's made out of wood but a friend of mine that saw one said that the main parts were in plastic, and covered by a blue or red shiny decorative plastic film.

Since they call it "Dean's Box", I presume this is yours and that they got the rights from you to change the design and market it in France. Did you sell them the blueprints and the secrets to make the box? Can you tell me how the French version compare with yours (since it is cheaper there must be a difference)?

Many thanks again for your response and keep up with the great work, Mr. Dill!

Ferris From France (FFF).
Dean Dill
View Profile
1947 - 2015
248 Posts

Profile of Dean Dill
Ferris I really appreciate you sending me this information. I was not aware of this until you mentioned it. No one has my permission to make Dean's Box for resale. Until I get more information I have no comment. Thanks so much, Dean
Ferris
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Ferris
Dear Mr Dill,

Wow, I thought they had your permission, since they have been selling a lot of these boxes here... especially after a French magician (Bernard Bilis) performed it on national TV. He performed the trick with the original box though, if it can be of any recomfort.

Maybe I should tell the French dealer to contact you and obtain your permission first? I hope I didn't get anyone in trouble here. Of course that would mean the magic shop would also be stealing from Stewart James' and Paul Curry's effects. Now that is a shame. People like them should show more respect for creators. Let me know what I can do to help, Mr Dill.

Keep up with the great work as always!

Ferris From France (FFF). Smile
DonB!
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
170 Posts

Profile of DonB!
I went to the French magic advertisement.

It is really sad, that someone simply sees the option to make a buck (or $140 of them) off of someone elses hard work and design.

Really sad.

As I've always said, Ethics in magic is plain common sense. The sad thing is: many people have no common sense to start with.

DonB! Smile
Dr. Bill
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Dr. Bill
For those of you may have not seen this site about ethics in magic (or sometimes lack thereof), I recommend the following site:

http://www.magicinventors.com/

I think the only way we can deal with the lack of integrity in certain individuals is by peer pressure and voting with our wallets.

As in all arts, magic creativity needs to be protected so it can thrive.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The November 2002 entrée: Dean Dill » » A French version of Dean's Box ? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL