The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » Practice with a camcorder (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Alikzam
View Profile
Elite user
434 Posts

Profile of Alikzam
Alright, I've now got a digital camera and a laptop. Which software should I use for recording a small segment and rewatching it? Would you practice by just watching it in realtime as you do it?

I've got a longer routine (about 7-8minutes?) that I'd like to practice and not just a single slight so I'm looking for quick record and playback features.

thanks in advance!
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
What computer system are you using? For a Mac iMovie is great!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Patchouli
View Profile
New user
France
65 Posts

Profile of Patchouli
For practising you can use to get the right rhythm a time counter used by musicians.

cordialement, Patrick Smile
Aguas
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Aguas
I use windows and a piece of software called iuVCR
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
I don't even bother saving it to the computer unless I am limited on time and want to view it later or in transit. So I just view it after my real-time performance by hooking it up to my computer or TV.

For quick recording, I use Windows Movie Maker...it automatically recognizes my camcorder through a USB hookup. I then just record and watch. I can save it as mpeg or MVD or DVD type movie and post it anywhere. For editing and producing some quality video you might want to look at Adobe's stuff for just starting it out.
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
FlippingWonderful
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of FlippingWonderful
If you do record any video, don't watch it back immediately to look for errors if rehersing, wait a day or two.

This is because you will look at the performance with fresh eyes, rather than look for specific things that you think are a problem when you intially recorded it.
Michael Cords
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Michael Cords
One of the methods I have tried in the past is to wire the camcorder to a TV. It is not necessary to record if you don't want to, you are only using the TV as a monitor. It helps to work on angles when a mirror may not be best.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Quote:
On 2006-01-22 07:36, Alikzam wrote:
Would you practice by just watching it in realtime as you do it?

thanks in advance!

If you're wanting to check the technical aspects of the routine then watching in real time without recording would be OK.

When you do record the entire routine don't watch it as you do it.
You won't be watching yourself when you're performing for an audience.
Record it, watch it later to see what the audience will see. Take notes on how you might improve.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Not onlt is it important to practice in front of a mirror and with a recorder but it's important to film your performance in front of a live audience. When we have assistants, I film from the front, both sides and off stage from two angles. It's extreemly helpful to see if your blocking works as planned. Sometimes you will see that an assistant leaving the stage will be in the way of another prepairing to enter.

For self use, I film from behind and overhead in addition to the standard three camera set-up and again, you can learn a lot from these. It's amazing how wonderful you think you are only to see some distracting habbit like shifting from foot to foot which during a live performance seems perfectly accectable but when you see it on tape you realize that it takes away from your good points.

I sometimes film hours of tape to see one little aspect of an effect, which allows me to keep my friends because I'm not constantly asking them "What looks better - This or This???". When I am satisifed that my technique is what I want then the only advice I take is from a paying audience because A. I have never had another magician hire me and B. You can go crazy trying to perform something two completly different ways because two people insist their way is the only way. The only thing that matters is the audience is entertained and they can't figure out how you did it.

Jay Leslie
sahunhong
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of sahunhong
Btw.. just FYI. time counter = metronome

I'm a pianist Smile 12 year old piano/math double major at TCU.. Smile

Cheers.
SH
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » Practice with a camcorder (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL