The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How do you practice? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jason Cardwell
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Jason Cardwell
Sometimes it's hard to practice with a mirror when you need to look at what your hands are doing, like when I was learning a one-handed knot. I never thought about a video camera, though. I'll have to try that!
JediMindTrick
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of JediMindTrick
A FANTASTIC way to practice.... use a webcam!

I found this out recently after installing one on my laptop to talk to long distance friends, that you can set up the angle for different perspectives, all while staring at the screen for immediate feedback. I found that, unlike a mirror, it felt like I was watching someone else's hands...but I was totally in control.

It's a great tool to use
Will Gordon
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas
124 Posts

Profile of Will Gordon
I start the technique or trick slowly at first then as I generate more speed I incorporate the use of a close-up mirror.
Romengan
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Romengan
Even though it looks like this one has been answered thoroughly, you can use the webcam at one angle (great idea) and a mirror at another angle. This way you can see yourself from the start through the mirror and after a satisfactory performance you can check the webcam (or camcorder) recording to review if you were good at that angle as well.
The Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Liverpool
267 Posts

Profile of The Magician
I practice in front of a Mirror
The Magician

Expect the Unexpected
DoomPenguin
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of DoomPenguin
My digital camera can record movies, so I use that to see how I'm doing after I've tried the trick out for awhile. I might use a mirror every once and a while.
A broken clock tells the right time twice a day.
denzildon
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of denzildon
I guess its time for me to get a camcorder!!!
Imagination is more important than knowledge!!! -- Albert Einstein
smartie_28
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of smartie_28
I use a mirror but I'll soon have a video camera and I'll start using that
Gerald
View Profile
Veteran user
Arkansas
325 Posts

Profile of Gerald
Good suggestions! It is a good idea to use the mirror to check the angles and get a general idea of how your practice is progressing. But use it sparingly. Video tape from different angles gives you a better idea of how it really looks to the spectators. Video tape an actual performance. This is a real eye opener.

You might want to have a look at the discussions about "The Ostrich Factor: A Practice Guide for Magicians" at: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......0&20

You can also do a search on this forum and find other threads that discuss the book.

Read reviews excerpts by David Regal, David Goodsell and the complete review from MAGIC magazine by Mike Close at my web site.

Good luck!
Gerald
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I use a mirror. I like the idea of videotaping a performance, though.
migwar
View Profile
Elite user
west yorkshire, UK
457 Posts

Profile of migwar
When I first started card magic, I found when I practised with a mirror, I spent a lot of time looking at my hands, which I thought was a bad habit, I use a webcam now, and will be getting a camcorder
amakar
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of amakar
Write the script
Rehearse outloud
Incorporate the "moves"
Videotape

When learning the script, I've found it helpful to record yourself on a CD and play it in the car.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How do you practice? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL