The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The March 2006 entrée: Tim Ellis & Sue-Anne Webster » » Another real question. » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

IT Magic
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
113 Posts

Profile of IT Magic
Tim and Sue-Anne, if you both had to choose 3 (yep it's one of those questions) effects and never perform anything other than those 3, what would they be.

perhaps 3 for Tim, 3 for Sue-Anne and 3 for the times you are performing together.

Thanks for the great chatting this week, I have wasted far too much time in here this week.

Brendan
Magic, Illusion and Data Management
www.stardockmagi.blogspot.com

I picture a world of love and peace, a world without war where people live together in harmony.
I also picture us attacking that world 'cause they just wouldn't expect it
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
Oooooohh, excellent question!

Also, what 3 effects do others enjoy watching Tim and Sue-Anne perform?

In no particular order -
1. Runaround Sue
2. Ultimate Blades
3. The Jeanie Routine
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
IT Magic
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
113 Posts

Profile of IT Magic
Favorites to watch in no particular order

Sub Trunk - When was the last time you saw volunteers having such a good time on stage

Run Around Sue - A well thought out routine skillfully presented, lots to be learnt just watching it. Love the music!

Jeannie Strolling - Sue-Anne does the excitable and innocent Jeannie brilliantly, just as I remember from my youth. The character so obviously suits magic, I'm surprised more people haven't done it. Shame there is only a couple of small clips in promo videos. I want more!

Okay 4 is cheating, but the blades gotta get a mention, the effect just appeals to me.

I picture a world of love and peace, a world without war where people live together in harmony.
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
This question is too hard!

I only get three tricks and that's it?! (The others will get sooooo jealous!)

I know I'll regret answering this because it will be here in archive forever and I might change my mind next week...

(THINKING MUSIC)

Okay....

'Runaround Sue'

because it has a bit of everything in it. A story, a structure, a character, a rhythm, lots of surprises, and even when I watch the video there are some moments that suck me in and look like real magic. It's also my most challenging routine to perform and I actually have to pluck up the courage to do it, the adrenaline rush is tremendous.

'Linking Rings'

I perform the linking rings in a "robotic style". It's a three ring routine that even received compliments from Lyndsay (that's hard to do on it's own, but he hated three ring routines!). It's a piece of magic that actually feels magical to perform and, on a good day, I feel immersed in the routine. I also feel there's still a lot of production I can around it.

Now it gets hard... I need to choose a patter routine because I love to talk... but to be restricted to just one routine.... I love doing my cut and restored rope routine, I get to do silly voices and everything! Smile ... Bill to Banana is great because it can be just soooo funny when I get the right volunter, and I can jazz the routine a little... but I think it's got to be...

'The Toast Routine'

The presentation for 'Healed & Sealed' that Brendan has uploaded is probably the one patter routine I'd choose if I could only choose one. It has a lot of magic in it, lots of comedy and surprises, and it gives me the freedom to really mess around and have fun with the volunteer if the mood is right.

(Sorry to disappoint all those folk who thought I was going to choose 'D'Cups & D'Balls')
Sue-Anne Webster
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
97 Posts

Profile of Sue-Anne Webster
Hmmmm...

Out of the effects I already have, I'd have to probably say:

Floating Table (as myself - you guys haven't seen much of my 'normal' stuff - as me. Jeannie is just an 'aside').

Blacklight - it's a trick I invented. It works SO WELL for me - kills every time.

And probably, believe it or not - the straw 'voodoo' doll. It's a good attention getter for an opener.

TOGETHER : Definitely...

"Sawing in Half" (with a chainsaw, of course - the women in the audience LOVE it especially, because I do it - being a woman cutting a man in half, I mean).

"Levitation" (on a microphone stand because it's easy to take anywhere and effective)

"Swordbox" - which we've only just starded doing together, because it's so stupidly tongue in cheek and looks impossible with a crummy cardboard box and instead of swords, we use things like a rake, mop, pool cue, duster, hoe, fishing net, golf club, broom, etc)

I've LOVED chatting this week. It's been quite an experience, I must say! Thankyou for mucking around with us Smile
IT Magic
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
113 Posts

Profile of IT Magic
What's the toast routine?

Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Quote:
The presentation for 'Healed & Sealed' that Brendan has uploaded is probably the one patter routine I'd choose if I could only choose one. It has a lot of magic in it, lots of comedy and surprises, and it gives me the freedom to really mess around and have fun with the volunteer if the mood is right.
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Oops, double post
Michael J.
Sue-Anne Webster
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
97 Posts

In our corporate shows, we use the excuse to do Soda Resurrection by having a toast to the corporation.

We have a volunteer up with us (because the magic is stronger and funnier with a volunteer) - and we pour the drinks. We do a bit of business - comedy, etc. etc. do the Soda Resurrection and continue into the "magician's toast" (which is doing silly movements and ends with a silly, but funny conclusion). It ALWAYS gets a laugh.
Sue-Anne Webster
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
97 Posts

The toast routine includes Soda Resurrection.
IT Magic
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
113 Posts

Profile of IT Magic
Ahhh toast not toast, that would be the routine I uploaded, I can be a little dim sometimes. Too busy thinking about butter and vegemite and got my toasts mixed up.

Note: Probably best you don't try that routine with any bread products, and not with glasses of vegemite.

Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
Hmmmm Brendan... are you going to start off another brainstorm session, using bread & vegemite? Smile

Actually, Andrew Gill went through a phase when he used a loaf of bread instead of a deck of cards for a stage "pick a slice, any slice" trick. Watching the spectator shuffle the slice back into the loaf was always fun.
IT Magic
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
113 Posts

Profile of IT Magic
Hmmm toast and vegemite, could do a transposition effect with a female spec.

Toast ends up covered in rouge and the volunteer ends up with vegemite on their cheeks.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The March 2006 entrée: Tim Ellis & Sue-Anne Webster » » Another real question. » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL