The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » The Challenge For Those Who Judge Harshly (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Carlos the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1234 Posts

Profile of Carlos the Great
Thanks.
I feel that performing only for other magicians, while fun, doesn't prepare you for audience interaction. Stuff like blocking, patter for the uninitiated, angles arising due to being on stage, all need to be factored in. Once you add in the element of nerves and spectator interaction, I feel it is more educational to look at how you perform in that exact environment to see what you really need to work on. What other elements of performing for an audience may neccesitate changes for a performer?

As a clarification of something above, blocking and patter for the unitiated are separate points. The patter for magicians may be much shorter or longer depending on the effect being presented.

-Carlos
Cognite tute
Unknown419
View Profile
Inner circle
1321 Posts

Profile of Unknown419
Quote:
On 2006-03-16 19:08, meijin wrote:
Since I can't pass this test, I'd like to ask about something:

Quote:
1. Setting Up the Deck.

I'd like to hear Doc and others talk about Item #1 above. I would assume that there is a real science to setting the deck up. How strong to make it...don't want them to go out, but don't want to make it some crazy 4 Aces versus 4 Kings type of thing.

Thanks!

Michael

Mike there is a science to doing this of which I can't help you on because I don't know it either. There is no books on how to set up a cold deck, you just have to keep on doing it and learning from your mistakes like I did and I still make my hands too strong.

My teacher once told me to set up a deck for a poker game and give it to him so I did. He said make sure to give them a hand that they will bet on....so I did. When I handed him the deck and he cold decked the table after the hand was over he said d*** Doc them hands were a kind of strong...I said "you said give them a hand that they were going to bet on...did they bet? He said yes but ... I said " you should have taught me like you said you were going to do.

Fellow readers I still don't know what to give the other players but believe me when they see their hand they ain't going no where and that's all I want to see.

Respectfully

Doc
J Wessmiller
View Profile
Veteran user
VA
306 Posts

Profile of J Wessmiller
You don't have to arrange the cards if your switching in a marked or pegged deck. Does that count as setting it up? I'm sure there are many people reading this that can come up with an excellent deck switch, but why show it to everyone for free just to prove a point?
be well,
JW
Think you know Erdnase? Take my quiz

http://wessmiller.blogspot.com
Andrei
View Profile
Veteran user
Romania
353 Posts

Profile of Andrei
JWess, I think this particular topic pertains to deck switches where the deck is brought in, keeping it completely in order.

Also, the challenge is not so much switching it in per se, but actually getting the cold deck from wherever you're holding it, into the switch position, then the actual switch, then ditching the old deck.

These have to be done without too much unnatural movement.

Andrei
Unknown419
View Profile
Inner circle
1321 Posts

Profile of Unknown419
Quote:
On 2006-03-20 16:43, J Wessmiller wrote:
You don't have to arrange the cards if your switching in a marked or pegged deck. Does that count as setting it up?

Jeff in my scenario you do have to set up the deck that's why I made it this way. Now as for you just switching in a deck all you have to do is knock the other deck off the table which is no challenge in my book.

Quote:
I'm sure there are many people reading this that can come up with an excellent deck switch, but why show it to everyone for free just to prove a point?

What am I showing to everybody? Jeff I think I understand what you're getting at (me tipping the secrets) but don't think that you've seen all of my deck switches so if I did show this switch it would be something that you've never seen before either.

Respectfully

Doc

Posted: Mar 21, 2006 1:53am
-------------------------------------------------
Quote:
You don't have to arrange the cards if your switching in a marked or pegged deck. Does that count as setting it up? I'm sure there are many people reading this that can come up with an excellent deck switch, but why show it to everyone for free just to prove a point?
be well,
JW

Jeff your video is excellent as always you may go free...

Doc
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » The Challenge For Those Who Judge Harshly (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL